London 2012 Olympics

Danqazmlp

I think what most people are complaining about is that it was not international enough. Not everyone understood the references that were made, not everyone knew who Paul McCartney was, not everyone understood the history all that well. And to be fair, it's not Britain's fault. But yeah, basically that's what i got out of most people. They wanted to watch it and feel more apart of it rather than than they did. For most people i assume it felt like they were watching some boring documentary on the History Channel with a few fire works and crappy special affects thrown in here and there. I thought the Olympics was about unity? I think most people just kind of felt left out. I've spoken to many of my friends about it and while the two Brits i know thought it was the most amazing opening ceremony they have ever seen, everyone else pretty much had the same opinion than i did.

Also, i had to agree about the no-names lighting the torches. Are you even kidding me? I think that was the biggest insult of all.

EDIT: Am i not trying to speak for the entire world, i'm just saying what i THINK might be a possible reason for the bad feedback.

Make the games go to the country that wins the most medals. That wayt it'll be in 'merica permanently.

Make it go to the country that wins the most medals per person in the country, then it will never go to 'merica.

I agree with Noxx that it may not have been very international, but I don't think any really are. Beijing was basically China doing what it has done for a thousand years, throwing as many people into something as possible. It was large scale but to me was incredibly stale. The opening ceremony here just seemed more fun and lively, with the volunteers looking like they were enjoying themselves.

I think the reasoning for the younger athletes lighting the flame is to inspire. It was to make other young people to realise that they are able to do something spectacular if they try, and in the future they might be as good as the athletes competing at the games.They were also not no-names, as they had been nominated by gold medal winners and the like as future athletes.

On the games themselves, I'm disappointed Britain didn't win any golds today. The men were really disappointed not to get one in the Cycling as they seemed like the easy favourites. Apparently they were held up by other riders.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I really wanted Cavendish to win the road race, but the breakaway ruined the chance of a sprint finish. I felt really bad for him too, he's been so focused on the Olympic road race he sacrificed defending his green jersey in the TDF because of it. If you couldn't tell Cavendish is my favorite cyclist.. However though, ever time I see Tejay Van Garderen race, I become more and more impressed with him and America's future.

tFtfA.jpg

I enjoyed the ceremony, especially the industrial revolution. The whole house party texting love story was definitely a low point, but the rest was good.

I wish CTV / TSN would show more events though. They were replaying the Canada vs. S. Africa soccer game only 2 hours after it finished, and ignoring a bunch of other events just because there were no Canadians competing.

Make the games go to the country that wins the most medals. That wayt it'll be in 'merica permanently.

Make it go to the country that wins the most medals per person in the country, then it will never go to 'merica.

I agree with Noxx that it may not have been very international, but I don't think any really are. Beijing was basically China doing what it has done for a thousand years, throwing as many people into something as possible. It was large scale but to me was incredibly stale. The opening ceremony here just seemed more fun and lively, with the volunteers looking like they were enjoying themselves.

I think the reasoning for the younger athletes lighting the flame is to inspire. It was to make other young people to realise that they are able to do something spectacular if they try, and in the future they might be as good as the athletes competing at the games.They were also not no-names, as they had been nominated by gold medal winners and the like as future athletes.

On the games themselves, I'm disappointed Britain didn't win any golds today. The men were really disappointed not to get one in the Cycling as they seemed like the easy favourites. Apparently they were held up by other riders.

You've got me there. Just out of curiosity, who would it perennially go to if that were the case?

Also for the record Britain didn't win a SINGLE medal day one, not just golds.

Feel free to post on my blog :D

Cuba was, I believe, the best country when it comes to either golds/person, or medals/person, in the '08 olympics, not sure which. I think it's a terrible idea to have the olympics in a country winning the most medals, because I like seeing what the different hosts can show when their country is in the spotlight.

22031_s.gif

Sadly, a lot of athletic dominance does come down to the cold hard fact that one country spends more on a sport than another, or has more territory and therefore more people to pick from. If the Olympics went to whoever won most medals (which the Olympic movement would never endorse anyway--they cringe even at the concept of a medals table), it would become yet another medium for one country to say "We're more powerful than you."

In other words, it would cease to be about sport and celebrating unity, really.

I'd like to add that giving the Olympics to whichever country has the most medals in the preceding Olympics would be complete hell for whoever's suddenly organizing the Olympic Games. Picking a host country for such a large event also always includes seeing whether or not the candidates are actually able to organize such a big event, not only financially but also when it comes to things like infrastructure. It'd be ridiculous to decide who gets the Olympics based on performance.

Cuba was, I believe, the best country when it comes to either golds/person, or medals/person, in the '08 olympics, not sure which. I think it's a terrible idea to have the olympics in a country winning the most medals, because I like seeing what the different hosts can show when their country is in the spotlight.

I think it was Jamaica for Gold Medals.

I haven't seen much of the opening ceremony, I'm not really a big fan of them. Beijing was certainly dazzling, but still I didn't find it that engaging.

rosssigfinal.jpg

Britain is the most influential country since Ancient Rome/Italy so why not concentrate it all on the UK. Bite me.

The US is only an extension of British Culture and would not exist without us.

I'm joking.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Both these suggestions are right on par with letting the results of the MLB All-Star Game determine home field advantage for the World Series. Let the mockery ensue. :wink:

The host nation gets its athletes automatically qualified for events. It’s sort of payback from the IOC for spending the money required to host. Why? Because the Olympics are hella expensive to stage.

I doubt any country would ever want to permanently host them, and I doubt the others would stand for the host being permanently qualified olympiad after olympiad after olympiad.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Why is everyone here against competition? I love winning, and my country does it well.

I feel like if any of us had an issue with competition, we probably wouldn't enjoy the olympics ;)

I think what you have totally missed, is that the Olympics are not just about people proving their dominance in a given sport. After all, almost every sport hosted has a world cup or equivalent. Those are all about the competition. The Olympics are about unity. Every two years much of the world comes together to show case their best athletes in competition against everyone else, not only in a competitive spirit, but in...almost as a show of friendship. Their are countries at the Olympics who are at war with each other and they set this aside to come together in the spirit of international competition and cooperation. If you try to make the games about who wins the most medals or anything like that, then you just turn it into a superfluous addition to the world cups, and rob it of everything that makes it special.

Also, as someone pointed out, the whole idea of moving the host around is to spread the financial burden, and to allow different countries a chance to showcase themselves, and show off a bit. Each country normally takes the opportunity to showcase something special about themselves.

And as a final point, if the Olympics were to be permanently held in one location, the logical choice would be Athens, Greece, because that is where they were created. No one else can really lay any sort of claim to them.

And yes, it is very annoying when they do any sort of re-run during the day in lieu of showing events just because we don't have any people there. There is absolutely no reason to show anything but live coverage during the day when the 3 channels are already incapable of covering everything that is going on. I expect better from them. Also, I hate soccer, I think it's less exciting than watching paint dry. Soccer is to curling what ballet is to a gladiator match. Stick that shit on the 2am rotation :lol:

Yeah soccer [bleep]ing sucks imo. But I'm sure there are people here that hate the sports I enjoy (basketball,track,football,swimming,baseball,tennis.)

I'm just more into the sport aspect than unity, and proud of the u.s.a.

We have massive records for medals, its almost unreal.

That being said, I'm obviously a very selfish person, but hey, better openly dickish than in denial.

Feel free to post on my blog :D

Please try to keep it on topic. Like, for example, discussing the Olympics rather than the traits of your other community members. It's unnecessary here. I also want to add that its important we remember this is an international event. Being excited for your nation is fine and dandy but please remember that opinions are great - just be sure that how you express those opinions adhere to our forum rules. Thanks :)

hzvjpwS.gif

You are correct, however you still fail to illustrate how that means the US should automatically have the rights to host every games. Because going by that logic China should have won the rights to host another event given they actually beat the US on the Medal table in Beijing. Also going by that logic, there would only be three or four countries in the running to host the games. The hosting process is already rather exclusionary because of the massive financial cost of hosting the Olympics, which greatly reduces the number of cities and countries that can potentially host the games; it most certainly doesn't need to be further so.

Also I doubt anyone hates the sports you posted, athletics, swimming and basketball are some of the most popular Olympic sports, and definitely some of the ones I shall be watching. Some of the other will include rowing, triathlon and hockey.

rosssigfinal.jpg

It'd be boring with the same countries hosting the Olympics all the time. I enjoy watching the footage from different countries, also http://www.medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:all-time

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

People have different opinions about stuff? On the internet? :shock:

Anyway, I watched bits and pieces of the ceremonies online while I did other stuff. Some of it was cool, other parts were meh. It's not something that really bothers me either way.

I love watching sports in general though, so I spent most of the weekend flipping between CTV, TSN, OLN, NBC, and Sportsnet to watch whatever caught my interest. Slightly disappointing results for us (Canada), but at least we got 1 medal. The downside is that the next few hours were full of endless recaps and interviews with the (bronze medal) winners... gets annoying pretty fast.

Looking forward to when athletics start.

You doubt ANYONE hates the sports i posted? Do you realize how many anyones there are in the world?

Sorry, I meant I doubt anyone hates All of those sports you posted.

It'd be boring with the same countries hosting the Olympics all the time. I enjoy watching the footage from different countries, also http://www.medalsper...capita:all-time

Yeah Rank Country Gold Medals Population Population

per Gold Medal 1 Jamaica 6 2,705,827 450,971

Jamica was good for golds last time.

rosssigfinal.jpg

I've nothing against competition. I love sport. I just fail to see how hosting the games has any relevance to winning the most medals. Isn't the medal itself, and the honour of calling yourself Olympic champion good enough?

Day Three. Britain were odds on to have at least two golds by now; they have none. Indeed, in some of the events they were expected to win, they've not even got a medal. British sportsmen and women choking in the face of massive media attention? Surely not...