London 2012 Olympics

Danqazmlp

This closing ceremony is not wonderful to be honest some good bits but I'm really getting a bit bored now.

EDIT: But then the Spice Girls and Eric Idle turned up making it slightly better.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

I thought the ceremony started a bit flat, but it picked up, and everything is made better with some imagine.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Quite pleased with the closing ceremony. Everyone likes a good concert, even if the beginning was a bit confusing and the ending was a bit drawn out.

Also, I feel like Russia should be in third. I am used to seeing the ranking done by medal count first, then by gold for tie breakers (and silver/bronze if needed). Or maybe that's a Canadian thing since our favourite place to finish in average seems to be fourth, so we end up bronze heavy and would rather not be placed on the bottom (we are like 13th now by total count).

I have mixed feelings about the medal table and personally think it should be done on a system of 3 points for a Gold, 2 for a Silver and 1 for a Bronze - simply total medal count is as unrepresentative as doing it by only Gold Medals in my opinion.

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo
2mqj8rr.png
Minigames: Level 5 in All Barbarian Assault Roles PM me in game or on these forums to play. Over 500 Castle Wars Games with 460+ Tickets.

Countries will gravitate towards whatever system favors them I suspect, since there is no official format, and probably never will be.

It's not something I worry about though. As far as I'm concerned, being in the top three is more than astonishingly impressive, though I might be convinced to do a gold is double points and have silver and bronze be the same. Quite frankly, just being at the Olympics means your a phenomenal athlete already. I just don't care to get really into the competition.I just enjoy watching the worlds best go head to head. On a side note, I didn't get to see any fencing except two short replays. Our country never covered it, even in the women's pentathlon where we had two athletes.

• Like 1

Its kind of an odd system as each country is ranked based on gold medals, and ties are decided by the # of silvers, then bronze. I do think it is as fair as they could probably get it though, otherwise smaller counties wouldn't really have a strong reason to compete.

tFtfA.jpg

Um the medal system does have a format, the one that already use to rank countries...

The IOC has adamantly refused to endorse any ranking system, since in their opinion, that's not the point and they don't want to encourage it. At least that's the case to the best of my knowledge. This would be how you have an entire country that ranks itself and everyone else differently. I doubt we are the only country that uses total count for the rankings.

Um the medal system does have a format, the one that already use to rank countries...

During the Winter Olympics the Americans used the total medal count while the Canadians used the gold count. It really is whatever makes your country look better.

During the Winter Olympics the Americans used the total medal count while the Canadians used the gold count. It really is whatever makes your country look better.

I totally never noticed that we do this :lol:

I don't feel like gold is three times as impressive as bronze myself. Honestly, if I had to give them point values, then using bronze as 1, I'd give silver one as well, or maybe 1.2, and gold 1.4 or 1.5

I like the system of going by golds, then silvers, then bronze.

Just finished watching the closing ceremony, it was fun. Not as good as the opening ceremony but it's hard to compare since they were going for two different things. After watching the opening ceremony I went ahead and got the Beijing opening ceremony to compare, and I liked the London one much better. Maybe it is because as an American the British culture is much more relevant. I'm getting the Beijing closing ceremony now to see how that is. Judging by the preview of Rio's 2016 opening ceremony it looks like that one I might not really get as much either, though probably more than the Beijing one.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

• 3 years later...

I also enjoyed the closing ceremony. Overall, I think these games went very well. The Olympics are a great way to bring the world together in a friendly manner while still encouraging nationalism.

I'm going to milk Goon's teats