Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kid gets robbed over RSGP

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy
Could have had it for $1500 more like after the dupe.

What a strange thing to happen.

Asmodean <3

Fielmann
[ Display Name History ]

Fielmann

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 9 posts
I don't see how the fact that the robbed money was just 'magic coins' makes any difference. The robber can exchange them for $3,300. This makes it every bit as real as €2,700 (in an electronic format if you wish) which can also be exchanged for $3,300.

Print some play-money, go to a shop and try to buy a toy car with it. If the shop assistant refuses, say 'well, you're not selling real cars either.'

You can't pull this off because the toy car has real-life value, even if it's not a real car. RS coins have real-life value just like that, even if they aren't real coins.

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
Wait wait. 5B coins goes for $3,300?

Ren
[ Display Name History ]

Ren

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Trollenstein
  • RSN2:Grave Sorrow
  • Clan:DGS
That real-life pic of Huzma just screams "Gangsterrrr!!"... T-T

553VriC.png?1

Butt Snakes
[ Display Name History ]

Butt Snakes

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 7 posts
He should've tele'd.

@Dan3HitU
[ Display Name History ]

@Dan3HitU

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,304 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:3___Hit___U
  • RSN '07:3___Hit___U

Wait wait. 5B coins goes for $3,300?

No, it goes for about $2,900. The guy that got robbed was actually robbing him.

Zantareous
[ Display Name History ]

Zantareous

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 424 posts
Nobody drew attention to the ending comment:

Dokler said he not longer plays the game but still tries to earn money for schoolbooks by buying RuneScape coins online and reselling them for a profit.

He might as well just flip Bitcoins, I'd imagine it's less risky (and doesn't pose the risk of problems arising with a company). It's just funny that he says he'll continue flipping when Jagex now knows about his identity and account(s), and NYPost seems totally oblivious that this is against their rules in the first place.

Zanty.jpegsigquotes.png

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts
Am I the only one that's annoyed that the kid who was selling the gp (Dokler) got away scot-free?

He even goes as far as to casually discuss what he uses the profit for. How bloody arrogant can you get. He's as much at fault as the "robber".

2480+ total

pulli23
[ Display Name History ]

pulli23

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,601 posts
A gun is bad, and anyone owning one should be put in jail immediatelly. The only reason people have it is for hurting others: so by owning one you immediatelly show that you aim to hurt others & attempt murder/dangerous wounds. As such the gun always be prosecuted for that. Simply for owning a gun.

First they came to fishing
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews
and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores
and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Dexek
[ Display Name History ]

Dexek

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,534 posts
  • RSN:Dexek
A friend of mine in our clan was telling me this, except he told me the story was with a BB Gun. I couldn't figure out why the individual being held-up at gunpoint with a BB Gun didn't fight back. This makes a bit more sense if he felt it was a real gun. Rather pathetic that people get robbed over their "magic coins" that they love so, so much... ;)

Also, to the crazy fellow posting prior to myself; have you never gone hunting, shot skeets, or defended property from predatorial animals?

defended property from predatorial animals?

pulli23
Say what??? Those animals have all the right to be there, you don't shoot them simply because they come to your "property". Wild animals are scared from humans, they only go to humans if it is their last option to survive & find food. You ought to blame your neighbourhood for YOU destroying their hunting grounds.

hunting on its own for "fun" isn't humane at all & should actually be a crime (which in civilized countries it is), same for ANYTHING real gun related. Only professionals should work with weaponry; and they should be constantly screened & only use the weaponry in their professional environment. (And never should act alone to always keep a peer reviewing actions).

You're calling me "crazy" for actually wishing other countries became as sensible as most european countries finally did in the last 30 years? I guess you're still gloryfying the cowboys as bringers of freedom?

Sorry, but predatorial animals killing livestock (which are the source of income and a means to feed the country as well as the homesteaders) do not belong. Due to the lack of trapping in this day and age, they have become over-populated and diseased (most commonly with mange). Similar problems have occurred with the varied species of deer as well as the elk populations, and have in turn increased disease potential (tuberculosis) and have hurt the other surrounding wildlife. In this area the hunting ground of the predatorial animals have not been destroyed, so I'm unsure where you hope your assumptions to lead you. There are actually a large number of areas set aside that are left untouched.

I also didn't mention hunting being for its own "fun" as you are once again assuming. Around here people go hunting so they can put food on the table and provide for their families, whilst helping to control animal populations. You must realize that when populations are allowed to grow to extreme levels and become rampant, as well as overcomed with diease, the government has no choice but to perform mercy kills (in which no consumable resources, edible or otherwise are gained). This is a very expensive task, and is the main reason why governmental bodies cannot be hired to control predatorial attacks all throughout a country, especially countries as extensive as Canada and the United States. This would simply be a step in the wrong direction, as any knowledge about the area shows. This has already been attempted with Conservation Officers, who will attempt to trap/kill problem animals, but then the livestock owner must also be re-imbursed for losses, which can be quite substantial when predatorial animals get free range for any period of time. This is why the public have these privledges. It saves everyone time, money, and heart-ache.

I was calling you crazy for irrationally condeming all gun owners to a poorly thought-out and apparently uneducated decision. A case of condeming everyone for the actions of few. Ironically those who make such choices always seem to be condemed themselves in the eye of the many. I'm unsure whether this is a problem of not having all of the facts, or simply ignoring the facts in order to make a view seem like the only potential course of action, but this thread is not the place for it. There is however one, if not multiple gun-related topics on the Off-Topic section of the forums. Posting there may be a better choice; for future reference of course.

Posted Image

Poetry
Indexed Picture 1
Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

Posted Image

pulli23
[ Display Name History ]

pulli23

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

defended property from predatorial animals?

Say what??? Those animals have all the right to be there, you don't shoot them simply because they come to your "property". Wild animals are scared from humans, they only go to humans if it is their last option to survive & find food. You ought to blame your neighbourhood for YOU destroying their hunting grounds.

hunting on its own for "fun" isn't humane at all & should actually be a crime (which in civilized countries it is), same for ANYTHING real gun related. Only professionals should work with weaponry; and they should be constantly screened & only use the weaponry in their professional environment. (And never should act alone to always keep a peer reviewing actions).

You're calling me "crazy" for actually wishing other countries became as sensible as most european countries finally did in the last 30 years? I guess you're still gloryfying the cowboys as bringers of freedom?

First they came to fishing
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews
and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores
and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Blake
[ Display Name History ]

Blake

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  • RSN:Biake
  • RSN2:Blake-o

A gun is bad, and anyone owning one should be put in jail immediatelly. The only reason people have it is for hurting others: so by owning one you immediatelly show that you aim to hurt others & attempt murder/dangerous wounds. As such the gun always be prosecuted for that. Simply for owning a gun.

One of the stupidest things I've heard. My dad has a 9mm pistol and a .22 rifle, and we went up to the desert and shot some pop cans and boxes the other day. You really think that because he has a gun, he "immediately shows that he aims to hurt others & attempt murder/dangerous wounds"??

About overcharging for the GP, if I was going to buy some, I think I'd be more comfortable buying off craigslist in person than from some gold seller. In-person and craigslist seems like they'd charge more for that.

Posted Image

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
It seems some people misread "General Discussion" as "Off Topic."

This is not the place to debate gun laws. If you want to do that, there are several topics currently in Off Topic doing just that. I will remove any post that continues this asinine branch of discussion. Stay on topic.

hzvjpwS.gif

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer

Well "the community" are idiots. If you asked everyone in the country if they'd like to pay tax yes or no, the majority would say no. But the country can't survive with noone paying tax.

For the record: I was one of the 9% saying no to free trade.

That is an excellent point. Steve Jobs said something along the lines of "It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."

Oh and let us not forget this

"“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.”

That being said, I prefer free trade over the system we had before. People being scammed is normally a result of their own stupidity. Same for being hacked. That and the fact that Jagex doesn't have a system to restore stolen items (like other games have) and their report system is a joke, coupled with the fact that their CS is shit are the real roots of the problem.

Scamming is far less common in WOW for that reason. If I trade someone 50 herbs to make me flasks, they'll give them back, because they know I can report them, and get them back anyway. I've NEVER ONCE had a "trust" transaction go bad in WOW, when paying for goods or services. The one time there was a dispute about a "grey" part, a GM moderated and fixed it.

So really, the problem is more on Jagex than anyone else IMO.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Warlover
[ Display Name History ]

Warlover

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • RSN:Warlover
  • RSN2:Moki

Scamming is far less common in WOW for that reason. If I trade someone 50 herbs to make me flasks, they'll give them back, because they know I can report them, and get them back anyway. I've NEVER ONCE had a "trust" transaction go bad in WOW, when paying for goods or services. The one time there was a dispute about a "grey" part, a GM moderated and fixed it.

I think that says more about the communities of WoW and RS than the respective companies policies on returning items.
-- 2001 Starter --
Posted Image

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

I think that says more about the communities of WoW and RS than the respective companies policies on returning items.

Not in this case. This aspect of the community is shaped (or controlled) by the policies of the company.

hzvjpwS.gif

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts
With regards to OT, it's somewhat disheartening but not exactly surprising.

-------

Not in this case. This aspect of the community is shaped (or controlled) by the policies of the company.

Correct. Jagex has a bullshit no-refund policy which is strictly enforced. You do not get items back even if you manage to prove that the perpetrator was guilty, and even if he gets banned, the items leave the game, rather than be returned to their rightful owners. In fact, in the past, even when glitches have caused item loss, including particularly egregious ones that were Jagex's fault, Jagex has still maintained this policy. So it depends completely on the company.

--------

Mercifull wrote:

Well "the community" are idiots. If you asked everyone in the country if they'd like to pay tax yes or no, the majority would say no. But the country can't survive with noone paying tax.
For the record: I was one of the 9% saying no to free trade.

WTF do taxes have to do with any of this? Taxes are a necessity to maintain the modern standard of living and various services and functions of the modern state; most sane people recognize this and support it. The Grand Exchange and the various draconian controls that Jagex placed on RS, and their general laziness in adjusting prices(something they promised but never actually did) are not necessary to maintain RS. Scamming and hacking are horrible, but the solution is not to coddle us to the point where people can't even trade on their own terms, all for the sake of preventing some people from getting scammed.

----

With regards to RWT bring immoral: I say nonsense. There's nothing immoral in deciding to sell off the product of the time/energy/effort you have invested into the game, regardless of the bullshit disclaimer you sign which hands Jagex ownership. I have never RWTed and don't ever intend to, but I see nothing immoral about it. It's unfair in a sense, but not immoral. Besides, since Jagex itself RWTs, I am not going to blame the players for selling off what is rightfully theirs any ways.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts
^ Would it be better if he did actual burglary for that money? Theft is theft.

Besides, since Jagex itself RWTs, I am not going to blame the players for selling off what is rightfully theirs any ways.

Not even when the side effects spoil the game for the rest of us? Like scamming/hacking, the fact that gambling clans are omnipresent, the fact that it's has led to bots monopolizing every money making method that isn't staking, and so on? RWT typically isn't some honest enterprise where a poor college student sells off items he worked hard for.

The biggest problem with the game right now is that everyone is so damn self-centered. There's no community, there's a collection of greedy individuals justifying their actions by saying that the host is worse.

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

THAT ONE CLIMBING BOOTS GUY

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • RSN:Logdotzip
Gambling clans shouldn't really bother you like the way they do, they are for the most part only on world 2, or exist in small varying amounts on other worlds. You basically have to go out of your way to be bothered by a gambling clan. Who cares what they're making, doesn't, or at least shouldn't, really affect your gameplay. It's emergent gameplay, let them do what the f*** they want.

But that's neither here nor there.

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy
If you don't bet, how are gambling clans ruining anything for you?
W67 had just as many spam bots advertising various floor selling fcs, but people don't seem to complain about that.

If you do bet, go learn percentages again and read the part where you have to be 13+ to play this game.

Asmodean <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users