Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mod MMG on RuneScape Micro-Payments

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

Logdotzip
[ Display Name History ]

Logdotzip

THAT ONE CLIMBING BOOTS GUY

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Logdotzip

What I was hoping for, that wasn't here, was an awknowledgement that IVP are the ones that pushed them into this. I want it not so that everyone can rage at them, but because I want more reassurance that Jagex has a stick big enough to beat them off the selling xp and money directly tree (I'd much rather be stuck with the SoF roundabout method). I want something to guage how long we have, and how much control they still have. When this sort of thing isn't touched on I get nervous, because there is no reason to hide good news.

That said, I still think MMG is probably teh best person we could have running the game after Andrew and Paul, because he does seem to actually care. If he didn't care, the game would be in ruins already, so in this regard I do think his actions are speaking for him.

Seems to me if they put this on consoles they are going to have to implement their in game talking program after all, or else the consoles wont be able to talk (even quickchat would be a nightmare for them).

And I agree that you know things are bad when the CEO has to keep making these kinds of posts. Maybe we can get down to twice a year :lol:

If he or any Jagex employee values their job security, I doubt they'd speak out against the company that basically owns them.

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

Uhh.. can anyone explain this girl here what HTML5 is =d? In as simple as you could >.>. The best would probably in dutch =3

Okay I'm no real computer expert here, so I can't guarantee what I'll say is 100% correct, but in simple terms:

HTML is the language/one language used to code websites. Most "standard" at websites (as in those with just simple text and pictures etc.) will be HTML. For a while, for stuff like videos or games, you would have to use plugins(extra programs running in your browser) like Java or Flashplayer. With HTML5, the language has become better and now is capable of running videos (And as it seems, games too) without needing extra plugins.

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Not sure what's taking them so long to move to other platforms. All bluray players, and most U.S. cable boxes have an MHP/OCAP stack in them, which means they run Java.

Technology is already there, they just need to utilize it...

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

GregorDGrim
[ Display Name History ]

GregorDGrim

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:GregorDGrim
At a time like this, I'm glad I'm still a noob when it comes to Runescape. Having played for just over a year, I haven't yet grown the thick, cynical outer shell that results in players calling "BS" each time an official Mod post is made. Getting rid of the majority of the bots would be excellent. The SoF and Solomon's Store are, frankly, annoying and out of context with the rest of the experience (especially the SoF), but I understand why they're part of the game. I'm still having a lot of fun playing, and when that stops, I'll move on to something else instead of strolling down the street sounding the death knell and wishing misfortune on the company.

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
It'll take a lot more than this to earn back my trust.

Tres
[ Display Name History ]

Tres

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 416 posts
alot promises but yet to see if anything will be done....

in past 1 year cpu requirements to run that game been increasing alot...i tested recently with core 2 duo 4300 with basic 3d card it was so sluggish even with min detail...year ago same machine ran smooth full details in full screen...it makes me think that if they increase viewing distance + add those new bot preventing things etc, i may have to upgrade my 1 year old pc

as we all know that jagex can change their mind about anything in very short time, i only believe when i see.
its odd how rs was doing well 11 full years without rwt updates + they was able to add new content with same or even better speed as now but in past 6 months we get spammed with all type rwt updates and this is probably just start as interval of those starting to get shorter and how desperately they try to make ppl stay members.
alot of recent developing been done to get that rwt stuff made...being member starting to feel soon as being f2p when i cannot anymore get most stuff without paying extra....being f2p is getting more like carbage with 1 spin daily mostly hitting member rewards while members get 4 spins.

SwreeTak
[ Display Name History ]

SwreeTak

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,739 posts
  • RSN:SwreeTak
  • Clan:Arcane Chroniclers

At a time like this, I'm glad I'm still a noob when it comes to Runescape. Having played for just over a year, I haven't yet grown the thick, cynical outer shell that results in players calling "BS" each time an official Mod post is made. Getting rid of the majority of the bots would be excellent. The SoF and Solomon's Store are, frankly, annoying and out of context with the rest of the experience (especially the SoF), but I understand why they're part of the game. I'm still having a lot of fun playing, and when that stops, I'll move on to something else instead of strolling down the street sounding the death knell and wishing misfortune on the company.

Precisely my thoughts as well. If you're not happy with the game, then leave and let those who actually enjoy the game play it.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Estoc
[ Display Name History ]

Estoc

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • RSN:Estoc
If they actually stick to this then I have a lot of hope for the future of the game. Unfortunately due to the past year's track record I'll believe it when I see it.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Octarine
[ Display Name History ]

Octarine

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • RSN:Octarine
  • RSN2:Octarune
  • Clan:Primacy
If the Account Guardian is any form of two-step verification then I'll be a very happy bunny :D The (perhaps difficult to trust) promises of their stance on microtransactions is just a nice plus

ALSO THAT DRAW DISTANCE :D Looks ver nice

Blog of DG, Bossing (mostly Glacors) and stuff - Runetrack

Posted Image
Play Safe! Posted Image - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Zerker_Jane
[ Display Name History ]

Zerker_Jane

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • RSN:Zerker Jane
Next month : Hay guize you can now pay for a higher chance of getting XP lamps in the SOF
Posted Image
99 farm easy

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy

Sounds like some clever PR wrapped around a pile of bullshit

My thoughts exactly.

There are so many people on this forum that just want to hate Jagex regardless of what happens.

I swear even if they were to remove the SoF and SGS tomorrow people would still be throwing nonsensical and presumptuous bullshit all over the place.

Oh, but this is where you are wrong about me. If this were to happen, the dark cloud that covers the Jagex I talked positive things about every week would fade.
I would once again be proud when saying "I play Runescape." Right now I can't help but say "I play Runescape, but the game is overrun with microtransactions. Not worth getting into really."

-

The first part says we listen to your feedback but we don't care how much you hate SoF and SGS, they're staying.
The post then goes on to promise a lot of future content which by all means looks nice, but it's purpose there is to move attention away from their reply to the mass-microtransaction updates they've been doing.
I think it's a cheap way of revealing future content.

Oh, and I guess a lot of you haven't tried MapleStory. It has an anti-cheating program that runs in the background of your computer when you start the gameclient up. It's called "GameGuard". I'm certain that's how they are stopping the bots. IVP just shipped the GameGuard code to IVPex and they made a version of it for Runescape.

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Oh, and I guess a lot of you haven't tried MapleStory. It has an anti-cheating program that runs in the background of your computer when you start the gameclient up. It's called "GameGuard". I'm certain that's how they are stopping the bots. IVP just shipped the GameGuard code to IVPex and they made a version of it for Runescape.

How well does it work?

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy

How well does it work?

I haven't played MapleStory in a while, so I can't speak for it's current state. It's far from "the ultimate downfall of all cheating" though. It's by no means perfect and stops all forms of cheating.
I do believe it will stop bots, but I don't know how long it will.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
IVP didn't make GameGuard, or order it made. Maplestory also doesn't use GG anymore and hasn't for a while. They use HackShield now. I know that, and I haven't played Maplestory since the beta days. (Mark of the Beta baby, yeahhh)

GameGuard didn't do jack shit to prevent botting, I think is what Den's original point was for how effective the new botbreaking update would be. They're nowhere near as bad as they used to be in the current game.

hzvjpwS.gif

Quyneax
[ Display Name History ]

Quyneax

Aes Sedai

• Members
  • 11,297 posts
  • RSN:Mierin
It's nice to know there will be big security/anti-cheating updates soon. But you only need about three sentences to tell people that. The crap about microtransactions is basically saying: it's here to stay, be glad we don't RWT even more".
Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions
99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)
99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)
99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)
99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)
99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)
Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring
Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace
30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

aspeeder
[ Display Name History ]

aspeeder

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 3,083 posts
What I'm intrigued about is

Over the past 18 months, we have ploughed the majority of our revenue back into the game to guarantee its future over the decade to come. We have literally doubled the size of the RuneScape team, and we are making massive investments in technology and improved support.

Unless MMG is flat-out lying this seems a farily bullshit-free statement showing that they are putting resources into the game to make sure that it has more long-term viability than a lot of us have assumed. I'd like to know where exactly these new people have been put (I'm sure a lot of them have been doing all the new cosmetics and emotes for SGS and SoF) but more people does hopefully mean more content.

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

decebal
[ Display Name History ]

decebal

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Decebalus6
I'm not surprised Jagex is trying to skirt around microtransactions. The reason why they won't sell gold is because of "the long-term health of the game" isn't just driven by their values, but also by their failed ventures. Without Runescape, Jagex would be nothing in the gaming industry, barely a speck in the ocean of Internet companies. They will lose their current fan base (as they have lost their respect already) and lose the company entirely. That's the only thing that is preventing IVP from pushing for gold selling in-game; they need to protect their asset.

The bot nuke sounds promising, although we won't know just how powerful it is until a year after it's deployed.

JGA is something that is sorely needed right now, it is just too easy to hack into an RS account these days with everyone spewing personal information over the internet. As long as they create an Authenticator app (little job for the Future Tech Team!), I'll be happy.

Speaking of Future Tech, I find it funny how they're not even mentioning their failed venture into mobile gaming with Funorb. Still, I can see this succeed if they're willing to invest the resources into mobile devices, which is unlike the "playground" that was Funorb. I am less hopeful in their research into console gaming. The greatest advantage RS has, its low system requirements, is nullified when you port it over to a system where every single gaming rig is the same. Up the power, and it just isn't Jagex anymore.

Posted Image

Ren
[ Display Name History ]

Ren

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • RSN:Trollenstein
  • RSN2:Grave Sorrow
  • Clan:DGS
Posts like that from Jagex get me a little hopeful and a lot more confident in the decisions they have, but they've not touched EoC in that post either. That makes me a little.. displeased. Out of every update that's recent (and pretty dramatic), it should be more widely covered with Jagex posts, discussions, etc. Instead, they just ignore it (hugely, at this point..) and kind of act like it's something everyone in the world wants. Not aiming to turn this into an EoC debate, but I have to say I don't think anyone truly minded certain aspects of the game staying the way they are now compared to the EoC update that will more than likely come no matter what anyone thinks. How long it stays and how much Jagex cares about what we think, as a gaming community overall, is a different story. Opinions vary and all, but I really don't think they know how many players are not ready for this type of switch in gameplay.

It really bothers me that they didn't mention that at all. I couldn't give a crap about an account I might not play anymore.

553VriC.png?1

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

Speaking of Future Tech, I find it funny how they're not even mentioning their failed venture into mobile gaming with Funorb.

Why would the head of RuneScape talk about Funorb?

hzvjpwS.gif

Blutters
[ Display Name History ]

Blutters

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  • RSN:Blutters
It would be great to hear about all of these neat things they have planned if they weren't being presented with a vague and weightless concession.

2dgucz6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users