Mod MMG on RuneScape Micro-Payments

Veiva

Sounds like some clever PR wrapped around a pile of bullshit

My thoughts exactly.

There are so many people on this forum that just want to hate Jagex regardless of what happens.

I swear even if they were to remove the SoF and SGS tomorrow people would still be throwing nonsensical and presumptuous bullshit all over the place.

Oh, but this is where you are wrong about me. If this were to happen, the dark cloud that covers the Jagex I talked positive things about every week would fade.

I would once again be proud when saying "I play Runescape." Right now I can't help but say "I play Runescape, but the game is overrun with microtransactions. Not worth getting into really."

-

The first part says we listen to your feedback but we don't care how much you hate SoF and SGS, they're staying.

The post then goes on to promise a lot of future content which by all means looks nice, but it's purpose there is to move attention away from their reply to the mass-microtransaction updates they've been doing.

I think it's a cheap way of revealing future content.

Oh, and I guess a lot of you haven't tried MapleStory. It has an anti-cheating program that runs in the background of your computer when you start the gameclient up. It's called "GameGuard". I'm certain that's how they are stopping the bots. IVP just shipped the GameGuard code to IVPex and they made a version of it for Runescape.

• Like 1

Oh, and I guess a lot of you haven't tried MapleStory. It has an anti-cheating program that runs in the background of your computer when you start the gameclient up. It's called "GameGuard". I'm certain that's how they are stopping the bots. IVP just shipped the GameGuard code to IVPex and they made a version of it for Runescape.

How well does it work?

How well does it work?

I haven't played MapleStory in a while, so I can't speak for it's current state. It's far from "the ultimate downfall of all cheating" though. It's by no means perfect and stops all forms of cheating.

I do believe it will stop bots, but I don't know how long it will.

IVP didn't make GameGuard, or order it made. Maplestory also doesn't use GG anymore and hasn't for a while. They use HackShield now. I know that, and I haven't played Maplestory since the beta days. (Mark of the Beta baby, yeahhh)

GameGuard didn't do jack shit to prevent botting, I think is what Den's original point was for how effective the new botbreaking update would be. They're nowhere near as bad as they used to be in the current game.

hzvjpwS.gif

It's nice to know there will be big security/anti-cheating updates soon. But you only need about three sentences to tell people that. The crap about microtransactions is basically saying: it's here to stay, be glad we don't RWT even more".

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

What I'm intrigued about is

Over the past 18 months, we have ploughed the majority of our revenue back into the game to guarantee its future over the decade to come. We have literally doubled the size of the RuneScape team, and we are making massive investments in technology and improved support.

Unless MMG is flat-out lying this seems a farily bullshit-free statement showing that they are putting resources into the game to make sure that it has more long-term viability than a lot of us have assumed. I'd like to know where exactly these new people have been put (I'm sure a lot of them have been doing all the new cosmetics and emotes for SGS and SoF) but more people does hopefully mean more content.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I'm not surprised Jagex is trying to skirt around microtransactions. The reason why they won't sell gold is because of "the long-term health of the game" isn't just driven by their values, but also by their failed ventures. Without Runescape, Jagex would be nothing in the gaming industry, barely a speck in the ocean of Internet companies. They will lose their current fan base (as they have lost their respect already) and lose the company entirely. That's the only thing that is preventing IVP from pushing for gold selling in-game; they need to protect their asset.

The bot nuke sounds promising, although we won't know just how powerful it is until a year after it's deployed.

JGA is something that is sorely needed right now, it is just too easy to hack into an RS account these days with everyone spewing personal information over the internet. As long as they create an Authenticator app (little job for the Future Tech Team!), I'll be happy.

Speaking of Future Tech, I find it funny how they're not even mentioning their failed venture into mobile gaming with Funorb. Still, I can see this succeed if they're willing to invest the resources into mobile devices, which is unlike the "playground" that was Funorb. I am less hopeful in their research into console gaming. The greatest advantage RS has, its low system requirements, is nullified when you port it over to a system where every single gaming rig is the same. Up the power, and it just isn't Jagex anymore.

22031_s.gif

Posts like that from Jagex get me a little hopeful and a lot more confident in the decisions they have, but they've not touched EoC in that post either. That makes me a little.. displeased. Out of every update that's recent (and pretty dramatic), it should be more widely covered with Jagex posts, discussions, etc. Instead, they just ignore it (hugely, at this point..) and kind of act like it's something everyone in the world wants. Not aiming to turn this into an EoC debate, but I have to say I don't think anyone truly minded certain aspects of the game staying the way they are now compared to the EoC update that will more than likely come no matter what anyone thinks. How long it stays and how much Jagex cares about what we think, as a gaming community overall, is a different story. Opinions vary and all, but I really don't think they know how many players are not ready for this type of switch in gameplay.

It really bothers me that they didn't mention that at all. I couldn't give a crap about an account I might not play anymore.

553VriC.png?1

Even if this is true, you just have to change a few company faces and all this is out the window. Evidenced by the sheer existance of soloman and SoF

Or, better still, when gnomecopters were removed from the game after the last guy resigned.

hzvjpwS.gif

Speaking of Future Tech, I find it funny how they're not even mentioning their failed venture into mobile gaming with Funorb.

Why would the head of RuneScape talk about Funorb?

Because the head of Runescape (technically Head Content Designer Mark Ogilvie, Mod Mark, by the looks of it) is not the one who released this statement. It was the head of Jagex, Chief Executive Officer Mark Gerhard.

22031_s.gif

Because the head of Runescape (technically Head Content Designer Mark Ogilvie, Mod Mark, by the looks of it) is not the one who released this statement. It was the head of Jagex, Chief Executive Officer Mark Gerhard.

Who was talking about Runescape's microtransaction model and its future. Not Funorb's.

Where was this announced?I seem to have missed it.

This week, you should notice a significant reduction in gold farmer spam.

Listed seperately from the antibot update, in a different timeline. They've been attempting to tweak their filters for a long time now to hinder the spambots which is why we saw mod posts about it a few months ago. Given that this was listed first and seperately from the botnuke part, on different timelines, it's a reasonable conclusion that they're updating their filter this week - how else would they reduce the spam volume? It might be that they're just doing another mass banning, but this is unlikely considering that's not what goldfarmer spambots are. They're 3hr old (typically) throwaway accounts. They also talked about spam as a whole, and not a current group.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm already annoyed with all the cool aesthetic content that only people who pay get. I know some people only care about stats and useful stuff, but for me, and I'm sure a lot of people, having a cool skiller oufit, access to all emotes, etc, is something I want. People will work hard just so they can have ibis, or necromancer, and other outfits. And now I can't have the new stuff because it's all about money, and no amount of talk will change that. That part is already ruined. If they started adding stuff with competitive stats, at this point it would just be adding insult to injury. I bet he's not adding that stuff just 'cause he knows we would all ragequit.

He says that he's adding that stuff for the future of the game, but really there has been so little real updates lately. They've got benefit of doubt because of EoC but after's that done no excuses.

• Like 2

2480+ total

There are so many people on this forum that just want to hate Jagex regardless of what happens.

I swear even if they were to remove the SoF and SGS tomorrow people would still be throwing nonsensical and presumptuous bullshit all over the place.

That goes both ways you know...
  • Like 1

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

That goes both ways you know...

Sure it does, the people that blindly defend any and everything that is perceived to be bad by the mass majority are just as ignorant and misinformed as the people that relentlessly spew hatred.

The trick is to keep level headed and open minded. Sadly, a lot of people only hear what they want to hear.

I am actually pretty familiar with Gameguard, not from MapleStory (it's not the only game that uses it) but from other MMO's I have played.

It's also notoriously bad at preventing cheaters and is despised by a large population of players that are forced to use it for certain software. If Jagex actually do use Gameguard I can't see it being particularly useful in the long run.

-------------------------

I'm not going to claim I know a lot about business economics or structure because I don't but it seems pretty clear to me the reason why the SoF and SGS exist. Runescape isn't the crappy F2P game built and coded in a university dorm anymore; it's a commercial business.

Marketing, extra employees, new tech and R&D all cost money. If membership fees arent adequate income then they need new ways to increase revenue.

I honestly believe that if the SoF and SGS didn't exist then Runescape would be in an even bigger decline than it is now.

Anyway, this thread has pretty much extracted all the discussion value it's going to get at this point, all that's really left is people voicing the same discontent as usual.

I'd really like someone to point out the lies that are apparently so prevalent in MMG's post by the way, that would be really helpful.

• Like 1
Sylpheed.png

speaking of filter they still haven't fixed it so we can see the world messages when filter is on...

I hope they don't change this, because when they start selling the ability to broadcast messages (which apparently happened on MapleStory) I want to be able to block them.

speaking of filter they still haven't fixed it so we can see the world messages when filter is on...

I hope they don't change this, because when they start selling the ability to broadcast messages (which apparently happened on MapleStory) I want to be able to block them.

I want the ability to choose to view world messages, I don't want it required. Just allowed while still blocking all the pointless in-game messages like "you mine the ore"

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

MMG said a few good words to a community that wanted to be pacified. Not that what he said isn't a good thing, but Jagex's poor track record of telling people what they're doing is definitely hurting them here.

HTML5 advances ought to be interesting, as that means they can move away from the Java platform. To be fair though, moving a code base from Java to Javascript is about as easy as moving from Texas to Tibet.

It did feel like he said, "We won't do microtransactions, we swear!", then said, "Look at this cool stuff we're working on! It's coming soon, we promise!" I don't feel secure in his statement.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.