Tip.It Times - 2nd September 2012 - 200th Publication!

tripsis

It's our 200th publication of the Tip.It Times!!

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

About "He's Glissinda the Troll" article: I loved your article, I've been playing RS for 5 years now, I have almost always had a female avatar (only changing once or twice in game for either a quest or as a joke). I did not really experience sexism at all, early on in my 5 years I did have many people ask me to be their gf or they asked if I had a bf, I do not get this anymore. I still run into people who off-handedly remark that girls do not play RS and that all girl avatars are Guys in Rea Life (or G.I.R.L) I don't care if these people refuse to believe that girls play RS, nor do I care that they don't believe me when I say I am a real girl. There is way too much stereotyping going on, if these guys still believe that girls don't game, they need to get out of the house and attend a few conventions. There are girls all over all the gaming conventions, we do play and we should not have to hide our real genders while playing either! I refuse to feed the steroetype by hiding, just because I "might" get bugged to be someone's gf or just because some ignorant boy can't open his eyes and see that girls do play games like RS! Having a certain genetic makeup does NOT, nor will it ever, affect what games people play!!! We all choose based on personal tastes NOT our genders!!

• Like 1

"Oh I love God, he's so deliciously evil!" ~Stewie, Family Guy

"If I don't kill a man every now and then, they forget who I am" ~Captain Blackbeard

"If it ain't fun, yer doin' it wrong" ~Pirates vs Ninjas Clan Motto

The content has also arguably degraded. Case in point: last Thanksgiving, the event was literally following a hint arrow to talk to people who immediately handed over items for a Thanksgiving feast. There was essentially no story, as has been a recent trend.. Part of the problem is attitude. Nothing pains me more than the question my friends routinely ask about the holiday item: "What does it do?"

I find this complaint to be slightly unjust. When you compare the 2011 Thanksgiving events with past thanksgiving events, Thanksgiving actually got better. Thanksgiving events in general have been simple since 2008, I was actually glad this one had more substance to it than "spot 10 turkeys" or "bash turkey skull in" or even "bash skull in if you haven't already" that we got in the past.

• Like 1
22031_s.gif

Congrats to EP for their 200th publication. I'm glad I had the opportunity to be an editor for some of those articles :) I look forward to many more publications beyond this achievement!

[hide]

unbinding green's kidneys for ltk's heart

do you farm guam like me sir ltk

[/hide]

From my female point of view (and having had a female RS character permanently during all the years I've played) I have to say I have rarely encountered any kind of annoying behaviour from other players just because I'm female.

Years ago I remember there was this bf/gf thing going on, but I just told anyone who asked me to be their gf, that I'm not interested ty, and that was that. It was most likely the Miniclip people, since it hasn't happened for ages.

I remember once a few guys started following me, so they could stare at my pixel butt. Weird, but a simple teleport took care of that.

I feel I've been respected in the clans I've been in, and the people I talk with in RS are most of the time talking to me very normally - regardless of my gender. And if not, there's always the iggy list :wink:

From my female point of view (and having had a female RS character permanently during all the years I've played) I have to say I have rarely encountered any kind of annoying behaviour from other players just because I'm female.

Years ago I remember there was this bf/gf thing going on, but I just told anyone who asked me to be their gf, that I'm not interested ty, and that was that. It was most likely the Miniclip people, since it hasn't happened for ages.

I remember once a few guys started following me, so they could stare at my pixel butt. Weird, but a simple teleport took care of that.

I feel I've been respected in the clans I've been in, and the people I talk with in RS are most of the time talking to me very normally - regardless of my gender. And if not, there's always the iggy list :wink:

Suffice it to say: enjoy your blissful ignorance.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I've always played female avatars (for the record, I am a guy ;) ) and can't say I've experienced any problems with it except the bf/gf issues years ago and some good natured ribbing from my friends.

No one seems to care if I'm a guy or not. In the end it doesn't really matter. We're all there to do the same thing: enjoy the game.

• Like 2

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Great articles, like always!

On the female gaming article: I'va always played as a guy, until the base outfits for our characters got upfraded with much more clothing, when I changed my character to look at the new garbs. It stayed female, just because I didn't care that much, she's fashionable and that's enough. :) I've never been harrassed because of the female avatar, well at least not on my main account.

I also have a F2P Pure who is dressed exactly the same way as my main, and it also never got "special" attention. Until a few days ago. As I wanted to train my ranged on hill giants, I had to hop to the French worlds to find a spot not too crowded with bots and legit players. From the moment that I logged in, until I hit level 50 ranged (took about 3 hours, I'm slow), some Tunesian guys were constantly asking me for my facebook, asking me to look at their pictures, were constantly bragging about how many muscles they have, that they had a band and so on. I must admit, I never adressed the fact that I was a man IRL, it was funny for a long time, and everytime they saw I was on low health, they gave me free food, so I gave them their little pleasure. In the end, I did feel a bit odd about the situation especially because I've never had such an experience in the English worlds. I don't want to sound like a racist, I really don't want to, but I think my Tunesian friends have experienced a whole different education than the average scaper.

• Like 1

I've nearly always played a female avatar (like kaida, I am also a guy), for personal reasons. I've felt that generally it's easier to start conversations, though sometimes silly awkward moments when I tell people. At any rate, I don't think that I've been treated differently in general.

To be honest, despite being opposite of my character's gender I always assume that girl characters means girl player. I've never really had an issue either way, but I definitely feel that there are more girls playing girl characters than guys playing girl characters. I can't prove this but that's how I feel about the issue.

My experience has been that recently I just ignore the snobs/idiots and in general anyone I actually want to talk to has been quite interesting and enjoyable experience.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Making my way through the articles so far and they're great :D

Just one little bugbear though :3

Jagex being an English company more than likely set the dates of most holidays on the English calendar, and because many players are American they include Thanksgiving.

"Perhaps the least well-known is Halloween, which originated when people would wear vibrantly colored clothing to scare away ghosts and spirits which allegedly appeared on the last night of the tenth month of the year."

Halloween actually originated from 4 things, Roman feast of Pomona, the festival of the dead Parentalia and/or the Celtic festival of Samhain, the "summers end". This was when they would stock checks because it's the last day of autumn, but also they believed that the spirit and human worlds were closest at this time - so they would light bonfires to ask for the help of the Gods.

But it then progressed to be All Saints Day (All Hallows - which is where we get All Hallows Eve from - Halloween) in the medieval, where after a while it became that it was the last chance for the dead to get revenge, so they wore masks to disguise themselves.

I'm a history buff xD Sorry!

But otherwise really good articles :thumbup:

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Interesting to see the reasons for the genders chosen. I am male in rl, and switched my character from male to female for the famous "no man can defeat" quest. Since the money was substantial to me at the time (10k gp to switch back, I believe?) -- I then left it that way.

I was female for almost a year, and found it a very interesting experience. I had a fair number of male avatars hit on me and some offer me presents, and had two female avatars also show interest. At least at that time, I could see a pretty strong difference to how I was treated in game, and enjoyed the feeling of seeing the world through someone else's eyes.

Finally turned back to male when my son brought in a screen shot of me to school, to brag about how high his father could hit in RS. I pictured the kids telling their parents about my female character, chickened out, and switched back. :P

cheers,

beo

To me all the articles was lackluster this week. The article i had the biggest problem was the Holiday one. The guy had some major errors in it, most notably the American Christian Calendar one. It the Christian Calendar period because every country that had or has a major Christian population celebrates those holidays (Christmas and Easter, though I'm not so sure about Halloween). To me it seemed this guy had an American bias. The Halloween comment showed that the author didn't know what he was talking about really, but another poster took care of that. As for a story on Thanksgiving another poster pointed out that it improved and it was always a short event with little story. Also Canada has a Thanksgiving but its in October. Yes I know that they had it in November cause of the huge American player base. They also have holidays from other countries as well, like Germany and France, though those events has no story though. We got to new holidays events that you didn't mention this week either. All I'm saying is to do some research before you make an article next time.

P.S I agree that they are going to have some extra Sof crap for the holidays coming up. Because they did something similar with game cards last year.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

As always, Jslayer999, you did a wonderful job of relating an outside intellectual concept into one of RS' longer term problems - namely, whether or not the addition of greater amounts of spectacle ad infinitum and sustain itself. I look forward to the promised article resolving the dilemma. :P

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Another milestone is coming up:

The 1000th article :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

About holiday events: notably, all the thanksgiving events have either been somewhat low key, or outright lame to begin with, on account of it being largely american, and as such does not receive as much attention.

8f14270694.jpg

Re: The Ghost of Holiday Events Past

Gonna be upfront-- I don't like the international assumption that "American" means the United States. Yes, I agree, the article was biased that way. But I would imagine that there are some Canadians that would like some independent consideration other than "the country that was another British colony". darthaddict, I think, fairly pointed out that Canadians observe a day of thanks, albeit in October.

A day of thanks is originally a British idea even if many Commonwealth nations don't typically observe it.

That said... Jagex probably is focusing on the US a bit much. Maybe I expect too much because maybe there's more English-speaking players in the Western Hemisphere, but I'm still boggled there's not yet official support for the Spanish language. It's my secondary language and I know the players are there.

I don't expect Jagex to give consideration to Latin American holidays, however. They are proudly British... I just want them to give customer support to Latin American players. I could go on about how the UK seems ignorant of Latin America but that is quite another argument and deserves much more fair and diplomatic discussion.

Re: A Lifetime Habit

I simply smiled. My daughter was only a year old in 2003, when I began as well. Today I find out she sneakily made a FunOrb account and was talking to strangers without her parents' permission. I've met many adult players in RS and I've also seen many fade out because of increased responsibilities. I'm finding the same having a house of my own for about a year now. But I hold on, still believing that I can set down Runescape much quicker than most any other MMO my friends play. Well, okay, I do like Single Player options, but, y'know...

Re: He's Glissinda the Troll

Ah yes, the Miniclip blame never really does go away, although Jagex started with Real Network's RealArcade... and Real made them some pretty sweet ads that I think are still unmatched for a starting company. In other words, Miniclip may have raised RS's profile, but immaturity did exist before.

I married into a gamer family, and my wife is in her mid-40s. She and her father played in the old wargaming days when D&D was still in its first edition. Although neither of her folks go to cons anymore or actively play many games... let me say this, between her mother and she, oh I am *very* aware of the gaming market aimed at women and it's not even the ones Hawks mentions. It's the time management, the puzzles, some of the "casual" market. They both have dabbled in the prose-based side that seems to be so little known, that writer's circle creation that morphed into freeform online and subsets with fanfic and all that.

Fanboys just need to own up that fangirls are there, stereotypes-- anime, fanfic, horror (vampires, werewolves, etc.)-- or not-- and all the squick and squee that comes with it. Lots of it extends WAY off the pixelated screen. Some prefer to slug it out in the supposedly "guy" domains and some have been doing their own thing for a long time whether people acknowledge it or not. I've known many of all stripes and quite a few in RS that don't even consider themselves gamers otherwise.

Blah, blah... I blather on but my presence here is rare. Kudos if you know who I am, but probably a bit better if you don't.