Help me find a good desktop gaming computer ~ PLEASE!

QueenValerie

O.k. I need a bit of help here, I am looking for a good gaming computer. Must be a desktop NOT a lap top. I DO NOT want to build my own nor have one built for me.... So please do not even suggest that.

I have looked around the internet for one but to be honest I am not even sure what I am looking for. I need help! I do prefer a DELL computer if possible.

My budget is around 700 dollars and would like to stay in that range, but I am willing to go as high as 1k if I really need too.. :wink: Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you ~ Valerie ~

queenvalerie.png

Get something with -

1. gtx 660 ti 300$

2. 3570k 230$

3. cheapest z77 motherboard ~100$

4. cheapest 8gb ddr3 ram kit ~30$

5.Antec three hundred case ~50$

6. good power supply ~100$ atleast 500w

7. any HDD, typical 2tb ~120$

The first four are mandatory for the best value/pirce gaming system the rest is of your preference. You can put these into any configurator and most companies will build you a PC with the parts you selected (newegg, ncix).

Edited by Kimberly

As for Dells, don't go for that brand, you're going to get a lot of troubles with your computer.

I'll check around to see if I find something, but I'd like to know where you live so that it's easier for me to choose the right website for you.

I live in the U.S. and thanks so far for the suggestions/recommendations.

I do want to make sure the computer comes with a good warranty and customer support.

In the past I have owned a Gateway and currently using a Gateway computer, but would like to try something new.... I only play Runescape but I want to try some of these high graphic games and I want to make sure I dont have a whimpy comp like I have now,......

queenvalerie.png

If I can give dell one thing, is that they're good with honoring their warranties. Of course, the downside to this (which you'll find is the same anywhere really) they'll often do shit to your computer without telling you and you're pretty much stuck with it. We sent our inspiron e1705 laptop in for something related to the graphics card, and they replaced the monitor with a lower quality screen...even though when we asked them why, they told is it wasn't damaged or anything. They just...did it.

ibuypower comes with usually 1yr parts and 2-3yr labor free with what you purchase. I haven't heard much either way about how easy it is to contact them, but quick google searches say they're okay.

hzvjpwS.gif

Get something with -

1. gtx 660 ti 300$

2. 3570k 230$

3. cheapest z77 motherboard ~100$

4. cheapest 8gb ddr3 ram kit ~30$

5. Antec three hundred case ~50$

6. good power supply ~100$ atleast 500w

7. any HDD, typical 2tb ~120$

The first four are mandatory for the best value/pirce gaming system the rest is of your preference. You can put these into any configurator and most companies will build you a PC with the parts you selected (newegg, ncix).

This is a very good, almost perfect, suggestion.

Though if you want to cut down on costs (even more, but what he suggested is perfect for a mediocre budget), you can get a cheaper casing as usually it doesn't really matter as much as the internal hardware. And depending on the type of games and amount of games you play, a 2TB HDD might be slightly too much. At least, by my standards. So if you REALLY need to cut down, get a 1TB, it'll be sufficient.

If you have extra change to spare, get a 120GB SSD with ~500 read and ~500 write, you'll definitely notice a difference. :) Costs anywhere between $150-200 though, haven't been keeping up on prices.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Unfortunately, 1k won't be enough for gaming with a prebuilt pc.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Thanks for the feedback ~

I am looking at this, what do you all think ? Anything I need to add or omit?

3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3450 processor ( up to 3.50 GHz)

Windows 7 home Premium 64 bit

8GB Dual channel DDR3 1600 MHz

NVIDIA GE Force GT 640 1 GB

1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Power supply 450 W

20" Flat LED Panel Monitor

Cost : $939.00

This is what I am looking to buy as of right now, unless I can find something better @ a cheaper price... LOL

queenvalerie.png

If you can, try forking out a little bit more to get a GeForce 650-TI.

It might save you two years or so before you have to upgrade again.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

That will only play on low settings, so if you're fine with that, get it.

What is the rest of the config for that build? What model and make of PSU? What resolution monitor? What games will you play? Will you be OCing? CF/SLI?

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

Well not low, that build is pretty standard and I imagine might (I stress might) support up to the highest settings for most FPS/RPG games (TF2, COD, Skyrim) but not at max performance. But it should support standard graphics pretty well.

I'm running on the exact build except I'm using a GeForce 650-TI because I tested out a 640 and wasn't really satisfied with it. And I run almost every game on max settings without any problems (Except for RuneScape where I'd get 30fps at some areas, and max elsewhere, but you know how RuneScape sucks.)

And s/he's only getting 1 GFX card, so no SLI'ing.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

O.k. I am so confused ....

Should I buy 3rd generation Intel core i5 ( 3450 processor -up to 3.50 GHz or i7-3770 processor - up to 3.90 Ghz?

8 GB dual channel DDR3 1600 MHz - 2 DIMMS or 12 Gb Dual channel DDR3 1600 MHz - 4 DIMMS?

NVIDIA Ge Force 640 1 GB GDDR5 or AMD Radeon HD 7770 2 GB GDDR5 ?

( Will a 240W power cord be sufficient? )

My monitor is not the best 1,920 x 1,080 pixels.

I am still learning the In's and outs on building a comp/buying a prebuilt one.... :sad:

As for games I only play Runescape atm but would like to try Diablo 3, WOW LOTR ... just looking for a comp that can handle some of the newer games out there...

queenvalerie.png

Ah shit. I got my GFX card models mixed up between GTX 540 and GT 640. Sorry about that.\

Anyway

3rd Generation Intel Core i5 3450, get a 3450K if you can

8 GB dual channel DDR3 1600 MHz - Kingston's HyperX series sells these pretty decent

NVIDIA Ge Force 640 1 GB GDDR5 is a good choice. 7770 would be better fit for gaming, but I just don't feel like the extra $100 is worth it since the actual price difference is more of $30-40. But since you do not play any games where the GT 640 and the 7700 would make a difference, save the cash unless you might think otherwise.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

i5 would be plenty for what you're doing. i7 is more for encoding and cpu intensive applications. Any idiot can build a computer though you might watch youtube videos and see that it isn't as bad as you think so you can save quite a bit of money.

Low_C.png

Thanks for the help! I actually feel like I know what I am doing now! LOL I have done lots of researching on the net and know what I need and want in my new computer now. I actually think I could even build my own, but not real comfortable about doing it.

Hoping to be back playing in the next week or so! I miss Runescape already! :wink:

queenvalerie.png

There are many companies out there that will build you one an let you choose what you want in it. Of course they will tell you if the components arent compatible, and suggest others.

I recently spent $3500 on a high end gaming rig I specced up with cyberpowerpc. Have a look into them. They also offer pretty good finance deals etc

Quick question: Wouldn't a GTX 570 be better choice than 660? According to the Bench mark info I have, 570 is cheaper than 660, and ranked higher.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Quick question: Wouldn't a GTX 570 be better choice than 660? According to the Bench mark info I have, 570 is cheaper than 660, and ranked higher.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13324/geforce-gtx-570-vs-geforce-gtx-660/

Personally I went with a Evga GTX 560ti factory overclocked card for like $220.00 after rebates back several months ago. Ive got it overclocked to 950mhz clock and 2106mhz memory clock and it max's WoW 1080p np.

Low_C.png

The GTX 570 might be cheaper initially, but just look at its power consumption ... fairly sure it's quite a bit more expensive in the end. Judging by the prices listed on Newegg, they are equally expensive, and that's only after rebate on the 570. Furthermore, you have to keep in mind that the theoretical tests on HWCompare are just that, theoretical. If we look at more real-world scenarios (such as the various game-tests ran by Tom's here), we can see that the two are approximately tied, with the GTX 570 unable to cope with Max Payne 3's maximum settings due to a shortage of memory. If you ask me, the GTX 660 is definitely superior to the GTX 570.

Concerning the CPU, as Lowc15 said, you don't need an i7 just for gaming. An i5 should pack sufficient punch. I see many people recommending the 3570k, but the OP doesn't really strike me as somebody who'd go and overclock their rig, so going for the unlocked "k" variant seems a little pointless. You can save $15 by picking a regular 3570, and another $20 by going with the 3450 the OP was eyeing. Seems worth it to me, as in gaming the CPU is usually not the factor limiting performance anyway. An alternative CPU suggestion would be the 3350P, which is another $5 cheaper and also uses a bit less power than the 3450 because it lacks integrated graphics. You don't need integrated graphics since you'll be using a discrete graphics card.

Going back to the GPU, I don't actually think a GeForce 640 with GDDR5 exists. The 640 comes with DDR3, which essentially makes it an overpriced piece of trash if you take price/performance into consideration. Judging by Tom's benchmark linked above, the Radeon 7770 seems to be the best choice. It's not that expensive either, as Newegg lists it as low as $110 after rebate. It should be powerful enough to run LotR Online and WoW with no issues, and Diablo 3 with fairly decent settings, at 1920x1080. However, if you think you might keep the system around for a long time and want the performance to last, or think it likely that you'll expand your horizon to more graphically intense games, I'd consider spending more on the graphics side of things. The GTX 660 Ti seems reasonably future proof; anything more expensive than that might be overkill.

Also, if you're given the chance, spend a few $ more on a decent power supply, instead of a shitty stock one. Look for some form of 80 PLUS certification. Your hardware will be grateful :P

Awesome thanks for all the help gang! And yeah I am not overclocking anything! lol

As for the power supply where can I buy one from? 80 plus certification? I do want to make sure I have a good power supply!

I swear I blew up my last computer killing the Queen Black Dragon! :shock: Because right after that my old comp crapped the bed! LOL

I cant even pull my pictures off it, it turns on but the monitor has no signal/black screen and the comp fan is the only thing running... WEIRD! I brought it to the shop 2 times the first time they added 2 GB to it and it was then that it crapped out. I am thinking it may be the power supply or a graph card problem??? No idea really! :sad:

Any idea how I can get this thing running long enough to get my stuff off it? The tech guy at the shop said something about he had to drain the power out of it, and it then worked for him.... He never charged me for it, but he said next time he will have too... and yeah we are at the next time now..... cost would be like 100 dollars! Not worth it to me, unless I can do it myself.....

queenvalerie.png

As for the power supply where can I buy one from? 80 plus certification? I do want to make sure I have a good power supply!

80 PLUS is basically a label that certifies the PSU as having 80%+ energy efficiency. The wikipedia article on it is relatively clear. By using a certified PSU, you'll end up using less power, and generally speaking such PSUs also have a better build quality which means there's a smaller chance of them failing. You don't need to spend lots on an 80 PLUS Platinum one or such, simply going with a regular 80 PLUS or an 80 PLUS Bronze is already a huge step up over lesser ones.

If you're ordering parts on the internet to construct your own computer (something you said you would be open to), you can simply order a PSU of your choice. I'm afraid I can't make any specific recommendations, though, as I don't know too much about which specific PSUs are good and which are bad. I'm sure somebody else in here knows more about the subject.

If you're going to buy a pre-built computer from a store, you could simply ask the salesman. If you're buying a pre-built computer over the internet, things might be more difficult. I tried configuring a Dell XPS (boy, they're expensive ... ) and wasn't able to find any information on the PSU at all. If the configuration doesn't mention anything about the PSU, you can almost rest assured that it's a low-quality one. I suppose you could shoot them an e-mail about it, but I don't really know ... I don't have any experience with ordering computers online.

I swear I blew up my last computer killing the Queen Black Dragon! :shock: Because right after that my old comp crapped the bed! LOL

I cant even pull my pictures off it, it turns on but the monitor has no signal/black screen and the comp fan is the only thing running... WEIRD! I brought it to the shop 2 times the first time they added 2 GB to it and it was then that it crapped out. I am thinking it may be the power supply or a graph card problem??? No idea really! :sad:

Any idea how I can get this thing running long enough to get my stuff off it? The tech guy at the shop said something about he had to drain the power out of it, and it then worked for him.... He never charged me for it, but he said next time he will have too... and yeah we are at the next time now..... cost would be like 100 dollars! Not worth it to me, unless I can do it myself.....

That's some poor timing. I'm not sure if it could be the graphics card ... you computer might still boot into Windows even if it didn't work, so you could still hear your hard disk rattle as it boots. They probably added memory to it in the shop to test if your memory still worked, so that probably isn't the issue either. I guess that means it's either the PSU or the motherboard that's malfunctioning. I think you can "drain the power" simply by unplugging your computer from the wall socket and leaving it off for a few hours.

If all else fails, you can simply plug your hard disk into your next computer and grab the pictures then. Consider using a cloud service such as Dropbox to store pictures. That way, a system crash doesn't really matter all that much as you can simply re-download the pictures.

Picking your PSU is dependent on the GPU and such because you want to supply enough power to the GPU or it won't function properly.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1122158/psu-calculator-v0-98-beta-release-updated

That would help you pick a PSU if you're uncertain. Personally I just picked a 650w because i wanted it to be future proof incase I want to add another 560ti for SLI.

Low_C.png

Since you are now considering building your own, here is what I recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($322.86 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer ($27.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $963.76

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-22 21:47 EDT-0400)

Since there is an MIR, the total is actually $980. This will run anything at very high settings with very high fps.

azeem1992.png