9th of September: Live Q&A with CEO Mark Gerhard & VP Daniel Clough

Pirkka

I couldn't hear a damn thing that Gerhard was saying, but truth be told, I'm not sure if I needed to. Pulling four developers onto this content which doesn't add any substance is still pulling a decent chunk of your development resources onto a side project, which can prove to be detrimental.

Furthermore, I want to throw this out there about the stats about SoF: There are three types of lies; lies, damn lies, and statistics. 90% of players using SoF doesn't mean that 90% of players are actively buying spins. I wonder what their motivation for shying away from that is.

EDIT: Just thought about their decision to go with microtransactions. It seems that now they don't have an excuse for the heat they'll catch behind it. It sucks that it's here to stay, though.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I believe the exact wording stated that 90% "enjoyed" the Squeal of Fortune, not supported it.

In the newspost about it. In this Q&A I remember him making a distinction between enjoyment and usage. I think that deserves to be acknowledged, even if we're still not happy with the end result.

hzvjpwS.gif

Well at least now we know they're not using the money to buy good audio recording equipment.

Not sure about the rest of the stuff, looked like there was some BSing going on, purposely saying misleading stuff. 90% of players use SoF? Yeah, the free spins they do. I thought it was interesting that he said they were reinvesting the money into the game, and then kinda corrected himself saying they were reinvesting in the 'studio' and 'technology'. That's like, completely different. Milk RS, bulk up your studio and tech to make your next game and move on when RS dies, is was it sounds like. And then that other time he's like, oh huge xp lamps are rare, don't worry guys. When in fact the xp gains are from the med/small lamps, either circumventing the question or just ignorant.

I stopped listening there cause the random audio volume fluctuations were getting on my nerves.

I thought it was funny how they both looked like they really didn't want to be there. Especially the dude on the left, his face was like, dang why'd the boss pick me for this.

Another classic example of someone coming to completely unsubstantiated and highly dramatised conclusions.

Sylpheed.png

Well at least now we know they're not using the money to buy good audio recording equipment.

Not sure about the rest of the stuff, looked like there was some BSing going on, purposely saying misleading stuff. 90% of players use SoF? Yeah, the free spins they do. I thought it was interesting that he said they were reinvesting the money into the game, and then kinda corrected himself saying they were reinvesting in the 'studio' and 'technology'. That's like, completely different. Milk RS, bulk up your studio and tech to make your next game and move on when RS dies, is was it sounds like. And then that other time he's like, oh huge xp lamps are rare, don't worry guys. When in fact the xp gains are from the med/small lamps, either circumventing the question or just ignorant.

I stopped listening there cause the random audio volume fluctuations were getting on my nerves.

I thought it was funny how they both looked like they really didn't want to be there. Especially the dude on the left, his face was like, dang why'd the boss pick me for this.

Another classic example of someone coming to completely unsubstantiated and highly dramatised conclusions.

I see only one "highly dramatised conclusion" about the milking and death of RS. Everything else he said (bar [bleep]ing about audio) were fairly reasonable conclusions to make.

We must analyze even small things like backtracking and pauses because typically there isn't that much we have to go on. If MMG felt he needed to correct that particular statement, it's reasonable to conclude that the added revenues aren't going directly into the game. However, if they're going to the studio, we can at least assume that the game will benefit indirectly.

_______

It's nice to hear that they might allow us to earn our items and XP again. I'd like that, especially if it included the various limited time offers I've missed.

EDIT oh wait... still coming from loyalty points. Far from ideal. Far from being able to earn them through playing the damn game.

2dgucz6.png

It seems like he was trying to say they were only building up their tech and deliberately trying to kill Runescape to move onto their next game. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. But I could have read that wrong, in which case I hope Highlanders clarifies :)

hzvjpwS.gif

They are considering adding limited items (summer items, katana etc) to Solomons store once promotion period is over.

I for one wouldn't be opposed to this. That's the sort of thing that Solomon's shop should be used for.

ofc, that would kind of make all the people who already bought spins for those items really, really furious

8f14270694.jpg

It seems like he was trying to say they were only building up their tech and deliberately trying to kill Runescape to move onto their next game. That seems pretty ridiculous to me. But I could have read that wrong, in which case I hope Highlanders clarifies :)

Oh, he certainly did say that. I was simply saying that I didn't agree that was reasonable to conclude but much of the rest of what he said was, and so there was no need for such flagrant exaggeration or dismissal on Sylpheed's part.

Where can we post questions? Or is this not live anymore? Honestly it seems pretty late to hold one of these...

2dgucz6.png

Best quote to understand the CEO doens't know what he's talking about:

If I were to take my credit card out right now and go try to buy xp I simply couldn't do it.

The way they talk about the lamps and xp from the squeel seems to think the only valid prizes are the LARGE and HUGE lamps. The small lamps add up a lot more. We already know you can buy millions of xp for a few hundred dollars. Now, this isn't a good RATE, but the xp/hr earned from spinning is greater than the xp/hr for actually playing.

It's not practical in the long term unless you are rich but the fact that it is simply glossed over is really annoying.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm most glad they admitted the decline of run escape ... and how they just now dropped it. It doesn't bother me that the population declined... but I would love to hear about the health of runescape. Sometimes the amount of secrecy they keep I find silly. There is no reason why telling the truth is bad. For [bleep]s sake... its a game.

If the bots are too hard to ban... tell us. Don't hype up a bot measure that will end all bots, only to fall short.

I'm curious what percent of revenue the microtransactions make up the whole. Can we expect additional hires with this? Or is this to make up previous player loss and just "catch jagex back up to zero".

Random question... is ivp publicly traded? Would love to buy stock.

siggykv.jpg

I skill. If you skill you should join.

I am not sure why people think members is more expensive now, pretty sure it has gone up at under the rate of inflation... 3£ in like 2002 to 4.5£ now. And even then I still pay 3£/month as the increase is only for new members.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

[hide]

I see only one "highly dramatised conclusion" about the milking and death of RS. Everything else he said (bar [bleep]ing about audio) were fairly reasonable conclusions to make.

We must analyze even small things like backtracking and pauses because typically there isn't that much we have to go on. If MMG felt he needed to correct that particular statement, it's reasonable to conclude that the added revenues aren't going directly into the game. However, if they're going to the studio, we can at least assume that the game will benefit indirectly.

_______

It's nice to hear that they might allow us to earn our items and XP again. I'd like that, especially if it included the various limited time offers I've missed.

EDIT oh wait... still coming from loyalty points. Far from ideal. Far from being able to earn them through playing the damn game.

[/hide]

I was over generalising by quoting his whole post. I was specifically referring to the part of his post you mentioned but it was late and I was too tired to edit the post. /laziness

Sylpheed.png

First of all, Jagex: Get better audio recording equipment. And don't sit in a room which creates echoes when doing this kind of things.

Otherwise it was a great livestream. I got many questions answered that I was interested in. I look forward to more sessions like this one.

RS3 sounds awesome :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

We can barely make out what they're saying. The audio complaints are "reasonable".

Oh, he certainly did say that.

No I said that what it sounds like, not that it was so. If the game is 100% profiting from MT then he should be able to say it plainly. Him correcting himself to say that the studio and tech is where the money goes is suspicious and leaves the door open for all sorts of conclusions.

• Like 1

2480+ total

I don't think the audio is THAT bad, yes the mics were turned down too low at the very start but like a couple of minutes in they noticed and cranked em up, with youtube and my laptop set to max volume I could easily hear 90% of the video and it was just the first couple of minutes which I could hear when I strained (or at least enough to fathom what was being said). To me it just feels like people are watching like a minute saying can't hear it and giving up because if you can't hear after they turned the mics up a few minutes in then you got issues!

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Although they may have increased the volume after the first few minutes, I still had a difficult time following them. Perhaps my speakers are not as loud as others, though.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Him correcting himself to say that the studio and tech is where the money goes is suspicious and leaves the door open for all sorts of conclusions.

He's saying that the funds are being rolled into different departments, just like they said they rolled membership fees for botting accounts back into the anti-cheating departments. It's not profit if they're still covering other costs. It still has the potential to be largely profit (not 100% because they still have to pay the mindblowingly high 4 devs, plus any animators/coders/etc who work on SoF stuff) but it's not being used for that at this time.

It sounds pretty reasonable to me though it does tick me off they won't say that in plain english.

I don't think the audio is THAT bad, yes the mics were turned down too low at the very start but like a couple of minutes in they noticed and cranked em up,

Clougie and Paul M were fine the whole time. I had to max my volume to hear MMG - his mic was bad. But then my ears were blown off when the other two spoke. I don't kill my eardrums with earbuds like most people my age do/did, so this was really irritating to me :P

hzvjpwS.gif

"90% of players utilise sof" I wonder why... Possibly something to do with fact it wont bugger off until you do.

Since we are semi-forced to spin to get rid of the spam, advertise in there might just be a good idea! - They like suggesting. Remove spam elsewhere..

End of the day I aint that impressed by the q/a as I still have to deal with the things that are negatively effecting the game/my gameplay.

A minor example. I dont have an actual photo of some of the stuff so I just quickly put this together. Its alot like the real thing for when I log in nowadays.

V

dgdf.jpg

• Like 3

To me it just feels like people are watching like a minute saying can't hear it and giving up

Honestly, that's exactly what I did. If I watch a video, I'm not going to sit there straining to try and hear what's being said for more than a minute or so before turning it off. This is why you do sound checks before the broadcast, not during.

Besides, I knew the rest of you would fill me in. I got the highlights without all the filler. ;)

• Like 6

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Eh, I'll take their word for it ever since that guy who was posting the reminder for the end of the alchemy amulet promotion was mysteriously silenced a minute after the post, and it was removed with no trace left over.

What are you talking about?

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm assuming someone posted a thread reminding people of the promotion and the thread got hidden, but I have no more information than you.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.