Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Frugal Living

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Qu├ębec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sbr

Food is pretty cheap. Focus on cheap and filling things like beans and rice as a base for meals. Absolute cheapest can be $80 a month with a price range at $.50 a meal or so.

Housing at least in socal for a 1 room apartment in any sort of decent neighborhood prepare to pay over $700 a month

Entertainment can be cheaper. Tv doesnt need any service, if you have one an xbox + friends netflix account is all you need. A computer if you have one only costs electricty, id advise not paying for internet and leeching it off a computer illiterate nextdoor in an apartment situation. This has risks so keep it in mind. Electricty cost for entertainment $20 - 50 a month. Other upkeep can go down to 0. In reality though if you have any sort of social life the costs here can be significantly higher.

A cheap cell phone service can be >$50 a month. No land line needed.

Water and electricty should never exceed 100 a month.

Cars are expensive. Assuming no maintenance its still registration, insurance and gas. In california a car is practically a necessity though so factor in another 200 (but realistically $400) a month.

So for $1.3k or so you can afford to live on your own working full time minimum wage. As far as living goes it might be cheaper to have a roommate if you split the cost 50/50. I half wonder if I should do this myself and spend my freetime programming as spending money income/skill building. Because comp sci degrees are vastly becoming a joke for the most part among software companies looking for new developers. I feel more and more that the college path is a waste of time and money when I work for a software company as QA atm and most of the developers werent college grads they were people interested in learning programming.

Depends on where you live, Here I can live for <$1000/month and with that can still afford paying $85 for my internet and $70 for my cell. I do not have the Tv or a landline phone though. I live in a small Canadian province so my 1 room and still pretty big appartment costs me $490 a month and that's in a good neighborhood of a small city. $80 doesn't go far for groceries here though, Even just getting the nececities (such as bread (that I always get on half price sales), milk and some other basic foods, and not brand names either) comes to around $30 a week, and that's when I go between the 3 grocery stores (they're all near each other so it's not a problem) to get the best prices and sales. I do have a car, but being a fully paid car and a Toyota Echo, it doesn't cost me much either compared to other people. It costs me on average $110/month to have that car. About $60 for insurance and $50 for gas for the full month although sometimes it can cost more depending on the gas prices.

I also thing your "cheap" >$50 cell plan can be even lower than that if you don't have a smartphone. Before getting my Android phone last year, my cell bill was $38/month.

Midge
[ Display Name History ]

Midge

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • RSN:sirniknak
I buy all my clothes, shoes and homewares on Ebay. If you hunt around and buy stuff that has been used/worn once its a real bargain. I got a £60 Topshop coat for £1.64 last week.

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
Yeah. eBay is definitely the way to go for some of the more expensive stuff. I buy a lot of my Warhammer models that way. I generally get them for about 25%-50% of their retail cost.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Estonian dude
[ Display Name History ]

Estonian dude

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,515 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Saq Prets
  • Clan:Off-Topic
WTF is the thing with you and $70 phone bills? In my country, if you pay over €15 a month (and that is with mobile internet), you are getting robbed.
Posted Image

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers
In Canada, Bell pretty much has a monopoly on phone services (don't kid yourselves, they really do) and can charge what ever the Hell they want. <_<

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

decebal
[ Display Name History ]

decebal

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  • RSN:Decebalus6

WTF is the thing with you and $70 phone bills? In my country, if you pay over €15 a month (and that is with mobile internet), you are getting robbed.

Canada has three major mobile phone companies that form an oligopoly: Rogers, Bell, and Telus. All other companies get stomped to the ground by them.

Posted Image

Sumpta
[ Display Name History ]

Sumpta

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • RSN:Sunta
I bought a house a while back, so funds are pretty tight for now because of the mortgage. I'm not frugal to the point of enjoying life less - I still buy myself extra's, some unneeded - but I do try to make little changes to save some money (and the environment).

Drink tap water and eliminate soft drinks. You save yourself the trouble of hauling heavy bottles when grocery shopping, it's cheaper and healthier.

During the winter, make sure you only heat the areas you use (the bathroom doesn't need heating the whole day long for example) and close doors, gaps in windows and under the doors etc to avoid energy loss. Have a snuggly blanket in the couch so you can put the heating a few degrees lower.

Don't buy expensive cleaning products, use vinegar and sodium carbonate instead. Cheaper and better for the environment.

Instead of hanging out with your friends at bars and restaurants, invite them at your place for a meal and drinks. You can eat/drink better and more at a lower cost. Have everyone bring something, or "rotate" venues.

Don't throw away left-overs, freeze them for when you're in a hurry and haven't got any food in the place.

Don't go out for lunch, make your own before you leave for class/work. It takes 2 minutes to put a slice of cheese on a piece of bread.

Use less showering gel by using a loofa. Don't use too much shampoo - these products are very concentrated: a little goes a long way.

Eat according to the season. Don't eat fruits and vegetables which are expensive because they're out of season and enjoy the cheaper seasonal veggies and fruits instead. Freeze some for later use when they're out of season.

Oh, a super important one: make sure you've eaten before doing grocery shopping. I can't count the number of times I bought waaaay too much because I was hungry at the time. Mostly unhealthy, expensive crap too. Making a list beforehand is also a good idea to keep yourself from wandering around the store aimlessly and buying stuff you don't need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users