02 Oct, 2012 -- Festival of the Dead

Pinata

One Saradominist priest has had a revolutionary idea: stop mourning the dead, and instead celebrate the lives they lived! That means hosting the 'Festival of the Dead', a gathering of friends where offerings are made, fireworks are set off, and stories are told in memory of those who have fallen.

festival_of_the_dead-02095557.jpg

Father Joakim has researched the Festival of the Dead, back to its (jade) roots in Karamja. The most important centrepiece of the Festival, it seems, is an item that once belonged to the dead, which is where you come in! Scour Gielinor for an item that once belonged to the recently deceased, and offer it as a gift to your chosen spirit. Once that's done, paint clay skulls, offer special flowers, set off fireworks, tell stories and generally party until everyone is in high spirits!

There are five recognisable characters for you to commune with, as long as you have completed the associated quests. By successfully celebrating each of your fallen comrades, you'll unlock a skeleton mask and double XP multipliers for your Prayer training, up to a maximum of 251,000 additional XP!

The XP boost is only valid for the following activities:

Using Ectofunctus (the bonus stacks with the multiplier).

Using PoH altars (the bonus stacks with the multiplier).

Killing ghasts.

Burying bones, including when using a bonecrusher.

Scattering ashes, including teleporting completed prayer urns.

Cremating shades and/or vyrewatch.

Mod Hunter

Where to start the Festival of the Dead: Father Joakim is standing by a large coffin in north-east Burthorpe and south of Lumbridge cemetery.

Requirements

This content is only available to members.

The five celebrations each have a different Prayer and quest requirement, as noted below:

The Blood Pact

40 Combat Level and 20 Prayer

My Arm's Big Adventure and 40 Prayer

The Elder Kiln and 60 Prayer

While Guthix Sleeps and 80 Prayer

---------------------

In Other News

18 new hairstyles - 10 female and 8 male - and 2 painstakingly teased sets of facial hair are now available through Solomon's General Store. This barnet bonanza showcases styles from across Gielinor, and each comes with two-tone colouring! The Customisation Interface has also been updated, to accommodate on-the-go haircuts and shaves. Pay a visit to Solomon's General Store now!

We've rebalanced certain aspects of the Big Chinchompa:

Higher level players will receive a slightly higher rate of XP inside the chinchompa's lair.

A branch will no longer spawn a moth that you don't have the level to catch.

Some rewards in the shop have been made cheaper.

Patch Notes

[hide]

The following small fixes and adjustments have now been made to the game. If you spot any further bugs in-game, please use the Bug Report feature.

Graphical:

All Al-Kharid bankers now face south.

Spirit Trees have had their chatheads updated.

The "adding water to clay" animation has been updated.

Some blocking has been added near the walls in the underground section of Kethsi.

A misaligned roof has been fixed in Witchhaven.

The Rimmington crafting store now has a door.

Torches in the Warriors Guild have had the flames lowered to not protrude through the floor above.

All player owned house portals should now have the steps into the portal facing the player.

A missing texture on a wall in Varrock has been corrected.

Some display cases in Varrock museum should now be less bright with bloom enabled.

The floor in the lobby of the Dominion Tower no longer flickers in DirectX with textures and scenery shadows on.

Players will no longer attempt to walk through the tent walls when exiting the photo booth.

Crows will no longer get stuck when wandering around Draynor Market.

A line of blocking has been removed in the Lumbridge cow field.

Quests, Challenges & Achievements:

Kharid-ib is now spelled correctly in the Diamond in the Rough Quest Journal.

Fixed some typos in the Stolen Hearts quest.

Updated the Quest Journal for Monkey Madness to use the new colour scheme.

Updated the Quest Journal description for Recipe for Disaster to match other quest journals.

Better feedback is now provided for using cogs in the wrong places in the Clocktower quest.

The map hint that points to the start of Witch's House has been corrected.

The Quest Journal requirements for The Elder Kiln have been corrected.

Corrected a minor typo in Varmen's notes.

Some text in the Fremennik Isles quest has been made gender neutral.

Corrected a typo in the Contact! quest.

Corrected a typo in the seal's chat from the Some Like It Cold quest.

Skills & Minigames:

Jimmy's balance kegs are now visible when wearing them on the head.

Fixed an issue with the scrollbar in the Fremennik Saga story selection interface.

Other:

Urist Loric now has a right-click trade option after the relevant section of the Buyers and Cellars quest line.

You no longer stay crouched on the floor after being knocked out by Monkey guards on Ape Atoll.

Ranging Guild Guards now sound human when attacked.

The Grand Exchange musician's 'Listen-to' and 'Talk-to' options are no longer the wrong way round.

You can no longer claim multiple pieces of the Gold Athlete set from Diango in a Free-to-play world.

[/hide]

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

I may have considered it, if they weren't so hideous in look... I prefer the free ones over those...

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

The festival is nothing like I expected, I was hoping for xp to be earned as you found/used the items on coffin, not as multipliers on xp you gain in prayer after the event, seeing as I can't afford to buy masses of bones etc.

May do simply to get the mask and leave it at that, if the mask is any good that is.. :/

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

There was a lot, lot less content than I expected actually. Thought it was going to pull a really long list of dead characters, but in the end we got only five :P

Not enough dev time on this one I guess.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I was under the impression that we'd actually get to talk to the dead. :|

Underwhelming update. Buy more Solomon shit.

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

I thought something would happen if I finished all 5 but nope. I already have 99 pray so this was a waste of time. The mask doesn't even look good. Probably too busy making Solomon crap to design a decent reward.

2480+ total

that coffin better be hiding a portal to the underworld in the future

edit: has anybody tried wearing a visibility ring while doing the ritual?

(you can repeat the cutscenes but me too lazy to get items again)

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

So.. choose a new hairtyle for around $4.50, or choose an entire outfit for $6.00? I'd choose the latter.

Yeah, whoever set the prices is an idiot. There really is no other way to put it.

There is a silver lining here, though. Fashionscapers can access the regular hairstyles from the customization menu now.

I can't see the need to complain when we're getting double exp on prayer. I never expected this to be more than the lax lily of the valley spring event n' crap. At least they made it worthwhile. Double exp from now until december on the easy exchanging with Robin + easy ash exchange thanks to mort's leg tele to the slime pit? Yes please. Plus it sounds like the chinchompa d&d was made a little better, which is nice for those going for comp.

I'm happy overall. Next year might have a different cast of dead characters, too. So that's cool.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

I can't see the need to complain when we're getting double exp on prayer. I never expected this to be more than the lax lily of the valley spring event n' crap. At least they made it worthwhile. Double exp from now until december on the easy exchanging with Robin + easy ash exchange thanks to mort's leg tele to the slime pit? Yes please. Plus it sounds like the chinchompa d&d was made a little better, which is nice for those going for comp.

I'm happy overall. Next year might have a different cast of dead characters, too. So that's cool.

The Comp cape requirement is now a laugh.

I was 81 hunter when I did my the first of the 2 games today. Got over 1500 points it just caps at 1500 =(.

81 hunter!!!

To even get comp cape you need to be 99 hunter. So if I can get max points, not once but twice in a row, then it's a lousy requirement!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Because all requirements should make comp cape much more difficult to obtain, rather than just slightly more difficult? I think it's fine that it doesn't take a massive amount of time to meet this single requirement. *shrug*

I really want to get on and start getting double xp for my daily Robin ectoing, as Kimberly described. Of course, since I can't log in, I'm just sitting here and bouncing up and down. >.<

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

^ I agree, the prices are ridiculous. Shouldn't microtransactions be...micro? Seeing there is almost no cost to Jagex after R&D (other than website maintenance etc) for providing them, nothing in that store should be more than a dollar or two.

Macrotransactions*

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

The xp from the big chinchompa minigame is a lot better now :) Got 50k xp in one game, probably could've been a bit more since I was chatting and such as I went. The three highest tier moths you can access appear now, instead of them just appearing at random.

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

So.. choose a new hairtyle for around $4.50, or choose an entire outfit for $6.00? I'd choose the latter.

Yeah, whoever set the prices is an idiot. There really is no other way to put it.

There is a silver lining here, though. Fashionscapers can access the regular hairstyles from the customization menu now.

thats about what they charged in maple story maybe they figured runescapers would be up to pay that much, which many fashionscapers are

Jagex makes small holiday update: People whine that it's too smal.

Jagex makes big holiday update: People whine that it's too big and development should be prioritized elsewhere.

Welcome to the nursery that is RuneScape, may I take your bib?

• Like 9

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png