what was your first job ! ?

skitzOwns

My first job was as a caddy at Crooked Stick golf course, working during the summers.

My first full time position was as an Electrical Engineer co-op student at Technicolor, which lasted for 5 semesters.

Somehow, I don't think that will help you with your current situation. My advice to you is to straighten up, apologize to your parents and your girlfriend's parents, get back in school and graduate. And once you become of age, join the military.

Your advice seems rather specific, given you don't even know how well he'd perform in a military role. So he's screwed up, got no opportunities... only thing he's good for is front line infantry right? I think that attitude died about a dozen years ago, at least.

My opinion is that he needs discipline, and opportunities. My thoughts were that the military will give troubled youth discipline, and opportunities, unlike many companies in the private sector (or universities for that matter), so my advice is to join the military.

Why are you so cynical that you assumed I meant cannon fodder?

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Just the way you discounted everything else, you have no real quantity or quality of information about the guy, his skills or what he even wants to do in life, and came up with 'military' as the answer, as if the monitor in front of you were some kind of scrying orb which provides omniscient insight into people you've shared only a few sentences with over the Internet.

I think most people would be cynical about that. At least I hope they would.

Perhaps "talk to a careers adviser about what the military may offer you" would have been better.

Just the way you discounted everything else, you have no real quantity or quality of information about the guy, his skills or what he even wants to do in life, and came up with 'military' as the answer, as if the monitor in front of you were some kind of scrying orb which provides omniscient insight into people you've shared only a few sentences with over the Internet.

I think most people would be cynical about that. At least I hope they would.

Perhaps "talk to a careers adviser about what the military may offer you" would have been better.

Military now a day won't usually take someone without at least a GED.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I worked at a convenience store owned by my aunt starting when I was about 8 years old (obviously I wasn't working much, just "helping out" without actually doing much work) and finishing when I was 15, at which time I could run the store for hours on end without needing help. I also worked as a drum teacher and a ski sales representative when I was 13-15 years old, and when I was 15, I got a job at McDonalds which I still have. I'm still helping out with the ski sales though, since they're fun, easy, and I can get a lot of hours with them.

First job was working as a sales assistant in a CD store. I was really good at it because i had a passion for music. Was able to sell anything to anyone.

Worked there for ~4 months and had one of the best sales records the company had ever seen.

Oh this was my first and only ever job. Was 18 at the time. Quit because it got too easy.

Martial arts instructor, but that's not a job you can just get thrown at you unless your parents paid your way through a decade of karate classes.

First look for any job you can get. As a 16 year old with no past job experience, barely anyone will hire you. However after you've held that job for a while and proven yourself to be reliable and hardworking you can use that on your resume to move up to a better job.

If there are any factories in your area, try those as well. They're hard work, but also decent pay and not too picky about who they hire (may be 18+ though, in which case it may be something you switch to later).

Alternatively, buy a lotto ticket after throwing salt over your shoulder and confiscating some rabbit's paw.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

My first job was working in the sporting goods section of a Canadian Tire here in Ottawa when I was 19. It was owned by the father of a friend of mine from high school, but all that got me was an interview with him. I got everything else on my own, and have not been without a job since.

I got kicked out I'm 16 atm and looking for a job as my girlfreinds pregnant my perents kicked me out I was homeless for 1 week sleeping on roofs benches shed (etc) school aint for me especialy if I need to make a living.

That's very harsh. I feel for you. I used to manage a couple of gas stations and one of my employees was in a similar situation, except he dropped out of school to support his gf and their child after her family kicked her out. I applaud your willingness to face your situation and do what is necessary.

In my experience, there's no shortage of work out there for those willing to look for it. It may not be classy or well paying, but if you're willing to put in the effort and get your hands dirty you'll find something.

Have you considered looking into construction or other similar industries? Road crews always need signalmen and building contractors always need people to haul materials/equipment back and forth. Both of my girlfriend's brothers are roofers and have been since before they finished high school. It's hard work, but if you can find a decent company, the pay is pretty good.

I wish you luck and hope things work out for you.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

• 2 weeks later...

My first payed job is an Apprenticeship in Business (still currently is). I graduated from College, decided that University isn't for me yet, as I would rather ponder on what I want to achieve in life, and ultimately opted for a Apprenticeship Program. Get more experience and qualifications before heading away to University. I'm from the UK, by the way.

I'll be due to finish my Apprenticeship in January/February time, starting University in September - can't wait! :D

Go back to school, or try whatever you can to get back there. Unless you have a plan in place to own your own business, I doubt you will ever live a fully comfortable life without some form of qualifications.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Go back to school, or try whatever you can to get back there. Unless you have a plan in place to own your own business, I doubt you will ever live a fully comfortable life without some form of qualifications.

Agreed; qualifications are the main factors that open up the doors to a better future. That and experience, of course. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My first job was a Christmas shift in a shop that sold gifts and toys when I was 17, including those novelty "adult" ones. :P I've got quite a few stories I could tell from that place.

Once, I was working at the tills, and I spotted a friend of mine who also worked there limping out of the office and slamming the door behind him. Turns out he'd accidentally knocked the fire extinguisher from its holder, which landed on his foot and somehow set it off, flooding room with all of the paperwork with foam. Thankfully the manager was a really cool guy and there wasn't any damage other than the emptied canister. I reckon he thought the embarrassment and foot injury was enough punishment.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• 2 weeks later...

Crew member @ McDonald's

Level 99 Skills 28/28 200M exp Skills 6/28
Going for 200M All Skills. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

On 12/23/2011 at 4:39 PM, 'Jebrim' said:

But don't even begin to think that I think I'm better than you all simply because I've done 7.6k+ hours of Agility or because I have tens of thousands of fans.

Worked at a McDonalds for 2 years while in high school. Was a fun time, lots of employee's my age made the work not so bad. A couple shit managers though.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Ironically, McDonald's has one of the best management training programs around.

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I'm currently an intramural ice hockey ref at my college. Pay is minimum wage, but you get double for scorekeeping, so I'm glad. First paycheck is paying for my gas money home for Thanksgiving (I only worked 6 hours this week, so $40, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye).

Hopefully getting a paid summer internship at a lab near my home.

My first job was at Target in Electronics. Then, I was (am) a software engineer at Supervalu. Right now, I have an interview in 30 minutes at Microsoft for Software Developer.

After this first interview, Microsoft wanted a second and final interview. They flew me to Seattle for 5 one hour interviews.

Turns out, I just got the job :D

• Like 3
2s0cxth.png

Congratulations! =D>

Congratulations! =D>

Thanks :) Only thing that kinda sucks is that it's not in Seattle, it's in Fargo, ND... Fargo sucks. But I'm still really really excited, it pays extremely well (over 35/hr), and they hire 85% of the interns as full time workers. I'm pretty much set for the rest of my life I think!

2s0cxth.png

Congratulations! =D>

Thanks :) Only thing that kinda sucks is that it's not in Seattle, it's in Fargo, ND... Fargo sucks. But I'm still really really excited, it pays extremely well (over 35/hr), and they hire 85% of the interns as full time workers. I'm pretty much set for the rest of my life I think!

I've been to Fargo, it's not that bad. Whole city is like one big sprawling suburb though.

I'm currently an intramural ice hockey ref at my college. Pay is minimum wage, but you get double for scorekeeping, so I'm glad. First paycheck is paying for my gas money home for Thanksgiving (I only worked 6 hours this week, so $40, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye).

Hopefully getting a paid summer internship at a lab near my home.

Ouch, where are you that min. wage is less than $7/h?