Why Do People Judge RS So Much Differently Than Other Video Games?

SnuGGzZ

I believe that many players who have issues playing runescape too much are actually showing a symptom. I believe runescape may exacerbate the issue, but do not believe it necessarily causes the behavior (plenty of them would do exactly the same thing with other games/activities if it wasn't runescape.)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I believe that many players who have issues playing runescape too much are actually showing a symptom. I believe runescape may exacerbate the issue, but do not believe it necessarily causes the behavior (plenty of them would do exactly the same thing with other games/activities if it wasn't runescape.)

I agree that in a lot of cases addiction to RS is symptomatic of some other deep-seated unresolved issues and RS is the outlet. However, I also think in some cases it causes the problems, and have witnessed several cases where people have gotten addicted to MMORPGS and have ruined what were perfectly good lives. There is an inherently addictive component in MMORPGs in my view that stems from the medium itself, it's very immersive -- it's designed to be. Since MMORPG and indeed mass ownership/access to computers, and such technologies is a relatively recent affair, I don't think we can say for certain either way, since conclusive studies have not been yet conducted but I have a sense (and a frightening one at that) with regards to what happens to the psyche of people who get sucked into MMORPGs in their formative years and spend years there.

I agree that in a lot of cases addiction to RS is symptomatic of some other deep-seated unresolved issues and RS is the outlet. However, I also think in some cases it causes the problems, and have witnessed several cases where people have gotten addicted to MMORPGS and have ruined what were perfectly good lives. There is an inherently addictive component in MMORPGs in my view that stems from the medium itself, it's very immersive -- it's designed to be. Since MMORPG and indeed mass ownership/access to computers, and such technologies is a relatively recent affair, I don't think we can say for certain either way, since conclusive studies have not been yet conducted but I have a sense (and a frightening one at that) with regards to what happens to the psyche of people who get sucked into MMORPGs in their formative years and spend years there.

This is probably true. I think I more would consider that being sucked into an MMO is easier for people with certain relational, psychological or emotional conditions. I have really good real life friends that prevent me from completely losing touch with reality, but it is very interesting to see what happens to people who don't have those connections. (In game friendships cannot fully replace real human contact)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I think it's because when you typically start Rs you're young and you have no clue what to do, so people tend to rage quit the game. Then they go about it by telling all their friends how much the game sucks, etc. So their view on it is bad because they had a bad experience. lol.

• Like 1
Tytyz.png

As a game, Runescape is pretty crappy. Not fun persayh, but lots of people play it for other reasons maybe . I guess it can't be describ3ed so easly but maybe if I wasn't 1am I could think better godnight

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I guess the main reason would be because they play Xbox and Playstation these days rather than sitting on their Computer playing Runescape.

Also, every year there is always an updated version of Call of Duty, Fifa, etc released, meanwhile with Runescape it's just the same version with updates.

I don't know why that would affect the popularity of the game, or why people look down on it, but I have a feeling that is why.

yea alot of people don't hear about/care about rs updates but they do hear about /care about other games updates/new games to play.

How many people that placed rs know about dungeoneering if they quit? Or even all the slayer updates (well eoc is gunna cancel alot of them) but how many people that might accually like eoc will hear about it

if you don't play/don't check up on runescapes updates you don't hear about them

StarViv.png

Depends who you meet/when they played, so on. The 'childish game' thing comes to mind the most, where people got turned off it when they got older, etc. I've invested enough time into it at specific points in my life where I had something worth coming back to. Those who I know that've quit didn't (besides my brother). My brother quit because he found it boring, which it really is now. I've spent more time on this game than he has and have more to 'lose' if I were to really quit.

Since EoC announcement, I've finally accepted that the time spent was merely for enjoyment and I need to stop playing just for the sake of preserving what I've gotten through that time spent playing just for fun. This has been long awaited, the kind of 'epiphany' I've been searching for in terms of why I even play still or want to quit at all. I've been slowly killing the game for myself these last 2.5 ish months. Once I realised that there IS an area of the game truly worth playing (Hi, Dungeoneering), but nothing else, I really didn't feel like playing the game for anything except that area. Thus, I became bored with what was just bits and pieces of the same game I played when I was younger, and saw that it was only a game and not a posession of mine.

Anyway, I was mainly trying to give both sides of the cookie for this discussion. Most people who dislike the game hated the gameplay type if they played it (it's a lot like any turn-based game, Yu-Gi-Oh cards come to mind..), never got attached to it enough, or grew out of it altogether. That's really the only bad wrap RuneScape can get in my opinion. It's a great game if you can grasp onto something and enjoy it, but if you don't then you're kind of destined to move onto something more quickly enjoyable. Hence why the Call of Duty franchise has soared, and WoW is still the most popular MMO to date. You can pick up Call of Duty and immediately enjoy quick, faster-paced interactive gameplay either on campaign or specifically online. World of Warcraft has an immediate Go-Do-This-Quest aspect as soon as you make a character, as well as PvM everywhere. Just a bit tiring of a game once you reach higher end gameplay like every other game I've ever seen or played.

Just my ten cents on the subject, it's just a game like any other.

553VriC.png?1