Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why Do People Judge RS So Much Differently Than Other Video Games?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Mercifull
[ Display Name History ]

Mercifull

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,130 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Mercifull
  • Clan:Tip.It
I don't keep it a secret from my friends that play but I find it amusing one particular friend who takes the piss out of me playing online games before going on championship manager every wakeable hour of the weekend.

Posted Image
Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Travis D
[ Display Name History ]

Travis D

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Clan:9gag
I think it's from personal experience and word of mouth. A lot of my friends from middle school who used to play rs and "moved on" will look down on rs or make fun of people who play it. That's how it is for people I know at least.

Travis_D.png       k_Lw.png

Drazhor
[ Display Name History ]

Drazhor

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  • RSN:Drazhor
Yeah, most people I know IRL who played the game at one point have since then moved on; so they feel the need to look down on RS for being a 'childish game'.
Needless to say they still don't know that I play.

Although, to be fairly honest, I only really play for the community (Aka for TIF and the HYT noobs :P )
Posted Image
Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs
A lot of posters here have commented on how Runescape doesn't take much skill, doesn't challenge you and how the only deciding factor is mostly time. They have a point with that, but I also feel like they're missing something. You don't have to play Runescape in that way.

Of course, there is no "right" way, and how I've spent my time on RS is probably quite different from your average player, but one of the biggest reasons Iike Runescape is how diverse it is. You can do so much different stuff from just grinding skills. If you just want to grind skills, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you criticize the game, it shouldn't be just on that topic, and honestly, I've never seen Runescape as a game made for competition. There are other games suited so much better for that, as really the only big deciding factor is indeed time.

I never enjoyed grinding and I never did much of it (usually just to get some quest requirement). When I did spend long hours training a skill which I didn't enjoy I regretted if afterwards, but that didn't really happen often. I've still very much enjoyed my time on Runescape and wouldn't hesitate to go back if I had the time.

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • RSN:Serena Sedai
  • RSN2:Fyora Serena
  • Clan:The Knighted Angels
I think that there is quite a lot of good competition, and skill required to get best xp rates in many skills. Some of the best methods require insanely good APM and concentration.

But at first blush runescape looks simple and people don't see that diversity.

Also, you can't "beat" (max) runescape in a reasonable amount of time as you can on other games, which some people see as a detriment and others see as a wonderful feature.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior

A lot of posters here have commented on how Runescape doesn't take much skill, doesn't challenge you and how the only deciding factor is mostly time. They have a point with that, but I also feel like they're missing something. You don't have to play Runescape in that way.

Of course, there is no "right" way, and how I've spent my time on RS is probably quite different from your average player, but one of the biggest reasons Iike Runescape is how diverse it is. You can do so much different stuff from just grinding skills. If you just want to grind skills, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you criticize the game, it shouldn't be just on that topic, and honestly, I've never seen Runescape as a game made for competition. There are other games suited so much better for that, as really the only big deciding factor is indeed time.

I never enjoyed grinding and I never did much of it (usually just to get some quest requirement). When I did spend long hours training a skill which I didn't enjoy I regretted if afterwards, but that didn't really happen often. I've still very much enjoyed my time on Runescape and wouldn't hesitate to go back if I had the time.

OK, sure, but put evidence to that point. What is there to do in RuneScape that doesn't require me to have already ground my skills up to a certain benchmark level in order to ensure a reasonable amount of success?

Viv
[ Display Name History ]

Viv

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
runescape isnt something you broadcast to the world like i can say to almost anyone "omg im now addicted to kongregate" (more addicting than runescape) but If i said to anyone "omg im addicted to runescape" theyd be like "wierdo"

dungeoneering is only skillbased thing

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
I've found that doing quests and daily activities and such can be quite fun and rewarding until you've done them all.

Serena_Sedai.png

Jonanananas
[ Display Name History ]

Jonanananas

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,308 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Jonanananas
  • Clan:World60pengs

OK, sure, but put evidence to that point. What is there to do in RuneScape that doesn't require me to have already ground my skills up to a certain benchmark level in order to ensure a reasonable amount of success?

Penguin hunting :P

Or, for a more widespread activity, questing(up to a point). There are a bunch of quests you can do without requirements and enough of those you will reach with not much effort. Or minigames.

Of course you'll have to train skills to get access to a lot of content. But that's not the point I wanted to make. What I wanted to say that it's perfectly possible to play Runescape without constant grinding. It undoubtedly is a part of it, but far from the whole, and I don't think it's exaclty fair to criticise RS for being a grindfest for the whole time. If you're fighting for highscore ranks it is, but you don't have to do that.

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts
My personal feeling is that part of the "prejudice" is justified. Stereotypes are rarely accurate or nice but there's usually a small kernel of truth to them. With regards to MMORPGs, the reason they are treated differently is because they are different, and different circumstances mandate different judgements. MMORPGs are inherently addictive, and the whole premise could be described as a life away from life.That's different from all the various other games because even though people may dash in packs slavishly waiting in line for the newest console game or whatever, and even though they might play it for several hours daily following the purchase, eventually there's an end to it, there's a finite amount of content, and it's sort of easy to leave. With MMORPGs, that's just not the case. Also the widespread addiction to MMORPGs in certain countries and all the "horror stories" from psychiatrists/parents probably doesn't do the game much favours. So naturally people who are on the outside, when they view us, they can sort of pick the signs and it's somewhat disturbing to them.

What I have described above is the reason that people harbour some sort of have some social prejudice against RS, if you're talking about why other gamers don't like them, well there're reasons for that too. The time commitment, lack of relative skill, repetitiveness, delayed gratification, historically inferior graphics; mind you some of these reasons are why I actually like ​the game, so I guess it's just a matter of different tastes.

Mind you, I am not at all saying that RS players are losers or whatever, I know quite a few people who are maxed, yet have great jobs, social lives, and are very fit physically and emotionally. But a certain amount of RS players(perhaps a minority) have serious issues that either stem from as a result of their interaction with the game or are exacerbated, and these are the sort of people that receive attention on the outside and their experiences are rightly or wrongly extrapolated into generalizations.

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
I believe that many players who have issues playing runescape too much are actually showing a symptom. I believe runescape may exacerbate the issue, but do not believe it necessarily causes the behavior (plenty of them would do exactly the same thing with other games/activities if it wasn't runescape.)

Serena_Sedai.png

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

I believe that many players who have issues playing runescape too much are actually showing a symptom. I believe runescape may exacerbate the issue, but do not believe it necessarily causes the behavior (plenty of them would do exactly the same thing with other games/activities if it wasn't runescape.)

I agree that in a lot of cases addiction to RS is symptomatic of some other deep-seated unresolved issues and RS is the outlet. However, I also think in some cases it causes the problems, and have witnessed several cases where people have gotten addicted to MMORPGS and have ruined what were perfectly good lives. There is an inherently addictive component in MMORPGs in my view that stems from the medium itself, it's very immersive -- it's designed to be. Since MMORPG and indeed mass ownership/access to computers, and such technologies is a relatively recent affair, I don't think we can say for certain either way, since conclusive studies have not been yet conducted but I have a sense (and a frightening one at that) with regards to what happens to the psyche of people who get sucked into MMORPGs in their formative years and spend years there.

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts

I agree that in a lot of cases addiction to RS is symptomatic of some other deep-seated unresolved issues and RS is the outlet. However, I also think in some cases it causes the problems, and have witnessed several cases where people have gotten addicted to MMORPGS and have ruined what were perfectly good lives. There is an inherently addictive component in MMORPGs in my view that stems from the medium itself, it's very immersive -- it's designed to be. Since MMORPG and indeed mass ownership/access to computers, and such technologies is a relatively recent affair, I don't think we can say for certain either way, since conclusive studies have not been yet conducted but I have a sense (and a frightening one at that) with regards to what happens to the psyche of people who get sucked into MMORPGs in their formative years and spend years there.

This is probably true. I think I more would consider that being sucked into an MMO is easier for people with certain relational, psychological or emotional conditions. I have really good real life friends that prevent me from completely losing touch with reality, but it is very interesting to see what happens to people who don't have those connections. (In game friendships cannot fully replace real human contact)

Serena_Sedai.png

Loyal
[ Display Name History ]

Loyal

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • RSN:[#BVY5XKAQL]
  • Clan:Getmoneyboyz
I think it's because when you typically start Rs you're young and you have no clue what to do, so people tend to rage quit the game. Then they go about it by telling all their friends how much the game sucks, etc. So their view on it is bad because they had a bad experience. lol.

Posted Image

Cheefoo
[ Display Name History ]

Cheefoo

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,811 posts
  • RSN:Cheefoo
  • Clan:HYT
As a game, Runescape is pretty crappy. Not fun persayh, but lots of people play it for other reasons maybe . I guess it can't be describ3ed so easly but maybe if I wasn't 1am I could think better godnight
Posted Image
I LOVE MY STATION

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101
00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Rjk
[ Display Name History ]

Rjk

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • RSN '07:Rjk
I guess the main reason would be because they play Xbox and Playstation these days rather than sitting on their Computer playing Runescape.

Also, every year there is always an updated version of Call of Duty, Fifa, etc released, meanwhile with Runescape it's just the same version with updates.
I don't know why that would affect the popularity of the game, or why people look down on it, but I have a feeling that is why.

Viv
[ Display Name History ]

Viv

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
yea alot of people don't hear about/care about rs updates but they do hear about /care about other games updates/new games to play.

How many people that placed rs know about dungeoneering if they quit? Or even all the slayer updates (well eoc is gunna cancel alot of them) but how many people that might accually like eoc will hear about it

if you don't play/don't check up on runescapes updates you don't hear about them

[ Display Name History ]

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,102 posts
  • RSN:999134thpure
  • RSN2:1 Pray Hero
  • Clan:hyt
I would say runescape gets kind of lumped in as a childish world of warcraft, and gets treated in a similar way.
Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!
Posted Image
old sig

Platinum_Myr
[ Display Name History ]

Platinum_Myr

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
And world of war craft gets an already bad rap from my friends so...

Serena_Sedai.png

decebal
[ Display Name History ]

decebal

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Decebalus6
And Runescape gets a bad rap from World of Warcraft players :P .

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users