Hallowe'en Treat: Scary Bonus XP Weekend!

Matt258

Thus, bonus experience weekends are not new? Giving free players something this time is nice, but it is not difficult to see how these do more harm than good.

If you don't believe it is harming the game, at least see that events like this convince a minority to players to stay on for ridiculous hours to try gain the most benefit out of the 48 hours. Its not healthy.

• Like 1

Thus, bonus experience weekends are not new? Giving free players something this time is nice, but it is not difficult to see how these do more harm than good.

If you don't believe it is harming the game, at least see that events like this convince a minority to players to stay on for ridiculous hours to try gain the most benefit out of the 48 hours.

And that last part is bad how? They can play however they want to play. Hell, get bloodclots for all I care. I probably won't even be on this weekend. Didn't even participate in the last 2.

If you don't believe it is harming the game, at least see that events like this convince a minority to players to stay on for ridiculous hours to try gain the most benefit out of the 48 hours. Its not healthy.

People already play ridiculous amounts of time to achieve their goals, BXW does nothing but mess up prices.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

You are 100% correct. They should only make the game playable for a total of 3 hours a day and the accounts be locked the other 21. Because having them available 24 hours convinces people to play as much as they can.

• Like 2

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

You are 100% correct. They should only make the game playable for a total of 3 hours a day and the accounts be locked the other 21. Because having them available 24 hours convinces people to play as much as they can.

Rofl! This would kill RS. Please tell me you were joking.

seconcomiha2.png

543rd person to achieve 99 smithing - April 15, 2007

9,167th person to achieve max cape - December 15, 2012

5,345th person to achieve max skills - April 1, 2013

Achieved Completionist cape - April 5, 2013

Ok, it seems like people like to misinterpret. And hyperbole.

I have no problem with people playing long hours. Hell, I have played 6+ hour days myself. But that doesn't mean Jagex should actively encourage you to play a full 48 hours non-stop to try get all the benefit from the weekend.

Bad analogy: I also have no problem with people smoking, but I don't believe we should have TV ads which encourage it.

Rofl! This would kill RS. Please tell me you were joking.

Get the [bleep] out.

Ok, it seems like people like to misinterpret. And hyperbole.

I have no problem with people playing long hours. Hell, I have played 6+ hour days myself. But that doesn't mean Jagex should actively encourage you to play a full 48 hours non-stop to try get all the benefit from the weekend.

Bad analogy: I also have no problem with people smoking, but I don't believe we should have TV ads which encourage it.

Nowhere do I see them actively encouraging long playing hours. Can you point me to a direct quote please. They make offers available for the weekend so as to make them available to all players (across the world, rather than isolating those outside of the 'ideal timezones'). As for your "bad" analogy, I'll let it side, give how absurd (nearly comedic) it is.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

*Points to main post*

Is it really that hard to see? They are offering great rewards for those who are on during these hours. This encourages some to play extensively to reap the rewards only available during these hours. Even if it was not their intention, even if they don't actually say the words, it still encourages this type of play.

Choose to read it how you wish to, if you enjoy these weekends and do not see any negatives then so be it. It's the internet, I am not going to change your mind, nor will you change mine about how events like this do more harm than good.

But that doesn't mean Jagex should actively encourage you to play a full 48 hours non-stop to try get all the benefit from the weekend.

How could they possibly make limited time events where people wouldn't try to capitalize on the benefit offered? Bonus XP Year? This is not Jagex cramming an incentive into a puny time-slot so they can brainwash us into playing for long hours, these are players who's priorities are so far gone that they'd actually stay up 48 hours straight for extra xp.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Jagex has to have these events during a weekend (over several days) so that as many players as possible can benefit from it. How fair would it be if they did it from noon to 2pm on a Saturday GMT. According to you, this would be great! Players get a lot of xp and they only have to play 2 hours to get the full benefits. For me and thousands of players around the world, this sucks. I live in MST, which means this event would go from 5-7 AM. Like hell I'm going to wake up that early for Runescape, yet I would feel like I've been cheated out of xp. Not to mention people actually have jobs, school, and other comittments that take up this time. Do they not deserve to get some bonus experience?

This is why Jagex has to have such broad hours. Everyone wants, and should have a good chance to, get a piece of the pie. If some players decide to take advantage of this, so what. Jagex shouldn't care and neither should you. In no way are they encouraging the long hours, it's just the way it is.

S2buxtG.png

I still think the best solution would be something like the Mad-May Necklace which offers the same double experience, but the timing is at your leisure. They could even make the bonus experience scale with time like they do with the current bxwe's except it wouldn't encourage no-lifing over the weekend, and be fair to those that are unable to partake in the event.

Gwasha that is not what I was saying at all.

If anything, I am saying it should be broader - like mad may necklace. Maybe you get a timer and can use ten hours of bonus experience in smaller increments whenever you see fit. This would discourage unhealthy play and reward everyone equally.

Gwasha that is not what I was saying at all.

If anything, I am saying it should be broader - like mad may necklace. Maybe you get a timer and can use ten hours of bonus experience in smaller increments whenever you see fit. This would discourage unhealthy play and reward everyone equally.

Yes, I would rather see a necklace or some type of wearable booster given to anyone who logs in on the weekend which will expire at the end of the month. They could give it like 1m or 2m exp or maybe 10 hours of use or something like degradable armour. There is too much going on the weekends. I tend to boss hunt, they have the EoC beta going on, people go outside once in a while on weekends. I would much rather use the bonus at my own time as I believe many players would too. This would reduce the price spikes over time as players have more than 2 days to use their experience.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Why do Jagex always make it so difficult for me to support their actions.

Seriously though, I wouldn't care if they hadn't said they were rethinking bringing them in the first place and telling people to not stock up for one. I saw that newspost and just facepalmed, because no words can describe how idiotic and hypocritical this decision was.

My mouth was literally open reading this news post........I mean I know they have gone back on their word many many times now, but....just wow Jagex. Bonus XP weekends are NO GOOD!!! That is why we decided not to have them anymore, REMEMBER??? It was only a few months ago, I didn't think you would have forgotten already...

Have the courage to change the things you can, the patience to accept the things you can't, and the wisdom to know the difference.

[/Quote]

I think the main problems are people misinterpreting what Mark said and the general complain about Jagex culture. The way I read the original statement is that they're rethinking them (and they've certainly taken different options for bonus xp) and the warning not to stock up was more in regards to the fact everyone would've been expecting a weekend near the start of September. If they hadn't posted that then there'd just be a bunch of people complaining a month and a half earlier about no bonus weekend and no notice given.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

*Points to main post*

Is it really that hard to see? They are offering great rewards for those who are on during these hours. This encourages some to play extensively to reap the rewards only available during these hours. Even if it was not their intention, even if they don't actually say the words, it still encourages this type of play.

Keyword: Actively. ACTIVELY.

*Points to main post*

Keyword: Actively. ACTIVELY.

I meant it with this definition:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/actively

7. Grammar

a.
Indicating that the subject of the sentence is performing or causing the action expressed by the verb.

Bonus experience weekends are the subject, which are causing the action of some users to play extensively over the weekend.

Sorry if my word choice offends you; please try focus on the meaning of my posts rather than pedantics.

I'm not going to complain about some motivation to finish off herblore, and farm while I am at it (going to grow my herbs cause that's how I roll. Also, I'm cheep). I also plan on thoroughly enjoying not being in a time induced panic to get certain things done by certain times.

Sorry if my word choice offends you; please try focus on the meaning of my posts rather than pedantics.

Semantics changes the way in which the message is received.

• Like 1