Hallowe'en Treat: Scary Bonus XP Weekend!

Matt258

Well they never said they weren't going to happen. They said they were rethinking. And they've changed it slightly. So they stuck to their word. Not [our] interpretation.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

If you really don't like this bonus xp weekend you are not obliged to play during it. The only thing that I really think you can argue for is that some players might be busy and may not be able to potentially play as much as others. This gives advantages to players on holiday over players who are working/studying. But then again you have to remember that this is just a game, and this is only happening over a very short timeframe. If you are truly still bothered about it then you might not to take a look at your life and realise that this is just a game.

I have seen arguments that this bonus xp weekend will distort the economy.

Okay. So basically the runescape economy is based off a demand/supply model (for the most part). Any update which affects any part of the game will cause disruptions in the economy. I mean you just have to look at the GWD remake to see how much that affected Godsword prices, combat armour reworks caused huge variations in God dragonhides, anything update really. The affect that this bonus xp weekend will have on resources will be short term. It is not damaging the economy in any way in the long run and you need to realise that.

It's just a game guys.

imp7C.jpg

(22:28:44) <@Leik> LE INTORNUTZ SPEEK xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Mish.png

Thus, bonus experience weekends are not new? Giving free players something this time is nice, but it is not difficult to see how these do more harm than good.

If you don't believe it is harming the game, at least see that events like this convince a minority to players to stay on for ridiculous hours to try gain the most benefit out of the 48 hours. Its not healthy.

You are 100% correct. They should only make the game playable for a total of 3 hours a day and the accounts be locked the other 21. Because having them available 24 hours convinces people to play as much as they can.

Rofl! This would kill RS. Please tell me you were joking.

bxp

trolling?

where.

also @ mish are u bad? every single person in rs buying out every single thinkable items for skilling... not bad? have you not played during past bxp weekends? a month of skyrocketing with 1-2 months of crash? this is like saying doing crystal meth once a month isnt that bad.... it is bad, NOT MATTER WHAT. and if they remove bots officially again... god.help.us.

tl:dr

WE'RE SCREWED ECONOMY IS SCREWED DED DED

PANIC PANIC AND BOMB JAGEX

meamzed.png

every single time I finally save up enough materials for 99 herb they bring out a bxp :wall: Time to sell 2k range and mage pots and herbs again. i really should just start making them into extremes as soon as i get them.

gonna be a pain to wait for them to crash again to buy back.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Thus, bonus experience weekends are not new? Giving free players something this time is nice, but it is not difficult to see how these do more harm than good.

If you don't believe it is harming the game, at least see that events like this convince a minority to players to stay on for ridiculous hours to try gain the most benefit out of the 48 hours. Its not healthy.

If players choose the "unhealthy" path of playing for a full 48 hours, that's not Jagex's fault. That's the player's fault. It's the player's responsibility to make responsible life decisions. It's not like Jagex is holding a loaded gun to everyone's head and forcing them to play for two days straight. If you get sick or something as a result of grinding for so long, you have no one to blame but yourself. At the end of the day, you're the one who chose to do that.

77yLQy8.png

every single time I finally save up enough materials for 99 herb they bring out a bxp :wall: Time to sell 2k range and mage pots and herbs again. i really should just start making them into extremes as soon as i get them.

Or you could just, sell half of it and get 99 herb.

• Like 2

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/squeal-of-fortune-training-material-packs

New to Squeal of Fortune, Training Material Packs contain the necessary resources to start levelling some of the more involved skills right away, without having to find and harvest materials yourself!

These packs replace the medium and huge skill-specific XP lamps in the following skills:

Construction

Crafting

Farming

Herblore

Smithing

Summoning

The materials you receive will always be tailored directly to your skill level, so there’s no chance of winning a crate of materials you can’t use. You can withdraw materials directly from the crates to use immediately, and you’ll always receive the materials required – a crate is likely to provide just planks for Construction as that’s all you need, but you’re just as likely to get a pouch, shards, a charm and a secondary ingredient for Summoning! There’s also always a chance that you’ll find an additional surprise inside.

Interestingly, it sounds like they're replacing medium and huge XP lamps for these skills in favour of item packs that you actually have to use up to get your XP.

Probably planned for BXPW, but sounds good to me in the long run.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I have never seen so many complaining little [beep]s as I see in the BXW related posts (especially on RSOF, but some people here as well) if this bothers anyone so much, their priorities are really messed up.

Personally, I don't care that much, the only thing is that some of my usual spots might be more occupied. Hopefully there will be room in red sallies, gotta get that disgusting skill up, but then there's always the option to smelt gold or do PP. Yay for double xp - if I am online. Don't plan to play any more than I regularly play though - this game is not that important to me.

Edited by Stev
Censor boo-boo

purekilljoy.png

[bleep]ing Jagex. A few days ago my parents offered me to join them on a trip to Iceland over that weekend and now Jagex announces this. Unfortunately it looks like I have to turn down their offer now because I don't want to miss out on any free xp.

I also have an exam the day before this starts which I probably have to skip so I can prepare for this weekend. My plan is to make extreme attack potions for 48 hours so I will need 60k avantoes and 60k super attacks. Yesterday I could buy a clean avantoe for 3k but now they won't even sell for 4,5k. How is that fair? The merchers are making hundreds of millions doing nothing. Jagex are [bleep]ing up the economy once again and it makes me so [bleep]ing mad.

As for the weekend itself, I'm going to order 6 pizzas and buy 20 energy drinks. Then I'm planning to move my fridge and my microwave to my computer desk so I don't have to move in 48 hours. Is it too much to move the desk to the bathroom?

I hate you jagex. Why do you always ruin things? How I wish I had free will.

Anyone else planning something similar?

:) :) :)

• Like 11

I have never seen so many complaining little [beep]s as I see in the BXW related posts (especially on RSOF, but some people here as well) if this bothers anyone so much, their priorities are really messed up.

Personally, I don't care that much, the only thing is that some of my usual spots might be more occupied. Hopefully there will be room in red sallies, gotta get that disgusting skill up, but then there's always the option to smelt gold or do PP. Yay for double xp - if I am online. Don't plan to play any more than I regularly play though - this game is not that important to me.

The problem is that Jagex offered a better solution to BXPW in the form of the Mad May necklace. It offered a way for people to use the BXP on any day and on more time intensive skills such as agility. What BXPW did was impact prices on the quick training skills dependant on tradeable items. I'm for bonus experience and I like the good intentions of the BXPW. However, people correctly note that it limits who can participate and jacks with the prices of items. There are better substitutes that replicate the effect in addition to correcting the deficiencies. Basically, it's a step back.

That said, I'll be a hypocrit and use the week-end for prayer, herblore and maybe construction if there's time.

Edited by Stev
Fixing quote

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

If players choose the "unhealthy" path of playing for a full 48 hours, that's not Jagex's fault. That's the player's fault. It's the player's responsibility to make responsible life decisions. It's not like Jagex is holding a loaded gun to everyone's head and forcing them to play for two days straight. If you get sick or something as a result of grinding for so long, you have no one to blame but yourself. At the end of the day, you're the one who chose to do that.

For the most part, I would agree. Just because you are offered incentives to play doesn't mean you have to, and I know that the majority understand this. I am talking about a minority of players, though, and events like this fuel the kind of play styles associated with gaming addictions.

Besides the first, there were reduced returns over the weekends, so at least there was less incentive to play non-stop. From the sounds of it this one will be 2x all weekend, which does reward those on for 48 hours. If they are willing to do so, maybe they are already addicted and the point is moot, but in my opinion this encourages extensive play hours (for the vulnerable minority) and sort of acts as a 'gateway' to such addictions.

Nuke Marine is right, there are better alternatives. I guess the reason I appear to be one of the 'complaining little [beep]s' is because I thought Jagex realized the negative effects such events had when they announced their 'rethinking' and began offering alternatives like the necklace.

Because the responses are making me paranoid, I'll try address some concerns in advance:

-I am not suggesting that Jagex is forcing you to play non-stop. I am suggesting that some players will be encouraged to do so, and that Jagex should have considered them, even if they are a very small minority. Even if Thus doesn't care they get blood clots, for some reason I do.

-You might not think video game addiction is a real thing, that's fine, I know it is not a recognized disorder. I am of the opinion that it is, based on media reports and literature I have read, and this is the basis for some of my opinions.

-Someone is going to make sarcastic comments that I believe every silly little thing is an addiction, that's not true. I believe gaming addiction is real because sufferers continue despite the adverse physical and social effects it has on them. I don't believe you are addicted to candy just because you have a chocolate bar once in a while.

Edited by Stev
Censor boo-boo

Then I'm planning to move my fridge and my microwave to my computer desk so I don't have to move in 48 hours. Is it too much to move the desk to the bathroom?

I hate you jagex. Why do you always ruin things? How I wish I had free will.

Anyone else planning something similar?

Personally, I just get a 15litre bucket, in which is do my number 1's and 2's - while sitting conveniently behind my computer, next to the fridge. In the end of the 48 hours I'll just empty the bucket in my yard. My wife doesn't much approve for the aroma, but [bleep] her, it's only 48 hours, as opposed to when we had longer BXW-s.

There are better substitutes that replicate the effect in addition to correcting the deficiencies. Basically, it's a step back.

I agree, there are better ways, but that doesn't mean that everyone needs to [bleep] and moan... Life doesn't give a [bleep] about me and my problems, why should jagex be any different.

So my message to the RS community as a whole is:Suck it up and move on, nobody gives a [bleep] about you.

-You might not think video game addiction is a real thing, that's fine, I know it is not a recognized disorder.

Video game addicition is a real thing, and it is very dangerous, but I don't think BXW contributes to fueling that addiction. As with most addicitions, the problem isn't the activity itself, it is that it is used as subtitute to fill a void or get instant gratification. So addicts are gonna play as much as they can, regardless of BXW.

purekilljoy.png

I don't believe video games are addicting, but I feel its the gain of progression through the video game that is addicting. I mean think about this... No one ever said someone was addicted to weight lifting, playing football or long distance running because they were so physically and mentally prepared to take on 250 lb dead lift, 4 second sprint or 10k run. The people that are do these things are seeking the same thing gamers seek: progress, esteem and recognition. The only difference is that they are well versed in the potential issues they face from these things such as broken bones, sprains, tendonitis, dehydration and even possible death. While gamers on the other hand are young so they are neglecting the signs of dehydration, drinking sodas more often than water and holding off food or other activities required to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I believe people just suffer a lack of self control with gaming. The definition of "addiction" is general, but in the psychological world there are two types of addictions. One addiction type being psychologically dependent such as gambling addictions. The other is addiction is physically dependence and is habit-forming which are substances such as nicotine and other narcotics.

Both cases put the victim through trauma, but generally its easier to walk away from something you are psychologically dependent versus being physically dependent on. I believe the case here is that people who are addictive gamblers are generally older people who are often left to their own vices thus suffer without many knowing until their lives are ruined. While those who are addicted to game progression, not games themselves, are children who aren't being adequately monitored by their parents.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I don't understand the outrage... I'm not a fan of the bonus xp weekends myself (didn't participate in the last three or so on account of not being a member anymore and I definitely didn't wish to renew for bonus xp weekend), but they didn't give the specifics about the xp weekend yet, or did they?

There's, as of yet, no reason to assume the 2x bonus will last the full 48 hours. I'm not sure how things were during the last few bonux xp weekends, but doesn't the xp usually degrade, with everyone having the option of starting whenever they want? I assume Jagex will build in some sort of equalling option this time too.

People were complaining that they were "removing bxpw's", and yet when they decide "ah, screw this, let's bring one back", people complain that "aww you lied to us jamflex u sellout baww baww"

It's not so much the bonus experience that bothers me, it's the... unexpectedness of it all.

Were you around for the first bonus xp weekend? If not, let me say you something: you have NO idea how boring this game is to play when all production skills are put on non-active (production being: herblore, cooking, crafting, smithing, construction, fletching, summoning and, to a lesser extent, runecrafting and farming). It wasn't pretty. Because the BXPW was such a surprising call, everyone immediately started hoarding everything gotten by resource skills, almost leaving the game in a state of unplayable. Wanted to do a bit of combat and use potions and food in the process. ERRR, NO LUCK. Potions were UNBUYABLE in the week before the weekend, as were herbs. Wanted to do some boss hunting? Well, guess who's S.O.L. Saradomin brews didn't buy, prayer potions didn't buy, Torstols didn't buy, super sets didn't buy, Super restores didn't buy. Food to a far lesser extent. The problem here is that, ironically, herbs are best obtained through combat, which was done less, because no one sold any herbs to make potions to help in combat. Seeds were also largely unbuyable (especially the higher trees, but that isn't surprising).

Granted, this was during a time when we had no free trade so everyone and their dog had offers up for herbs at +5%. Also, I'm mostly talking about herblore materials, but that's because herblore probably plays the biggest role of support skill in combat for people of high-end combat. But unless your idea of enjoyably playing Runescape is mostly doing Mining/Fishing/Woodcutting/Thieving/Agility/Hunter/Dungeoneering, then you're gonna be in for a rough ride (DG, incidentally, was also not available first BXPW, which made the game tremenduously dull)

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I don't believe video games are addicting, but I feel its the gain of progression through the video game that is addicting. I mean think about this... No one ever said someone was addicted to weight lifting, playing football or long distance running because they were so physically and mentally prepared to take on 250 lb dead lift, 4 second sprint or 10k run. The people that are do these things are seeking the same thing gamers seek: progress, esteem and recognition. The only difference is that they are well versed in the potential issues they face from these things such as broken bones, sprains, tendonitis, dehydration and even possible death. While gamers on the other hand are young so they are neglecting the signs of dehydration, drinking sodas more often than water and holding off food or other activities required to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I believe people just suffer a lack of self control with gaming. The definition of "addiction" is general, but in the psychological world there are two types of addictions. One addiction type being psychologically dependent such as gambling addictions. The other is addiction is physically dependence and is habit-forming which are substances such as nicotine and other narcotics.

Both cases put the victim through trauma, but generally its easier to walk away from something you are psychologically dependent versus being physically dependent on. I believe the case here is that people who are addictive gamblers are generally older people who are often left to their own vices thus suffer without many knowing until their lives are ruined. While those who are addicted to game progression, not games themselves, are children who aren't being adequately monitored by their parents.

It's the psychology of reinforcement. Also the same reason so many famous people have issues with drugs and alcohol especially when careers start to falter. They need to keep feeling that "high" that comes from performing at peak levels. In the case of football players though, it's also the brain injuries. :P /tangent

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

It's the psychology of reinforcement. Also the same reason so many famous people have issues with drugs and alcohol especially when careers start to falter. They need to keep feeling that "high" that comes from performing at peak levels. In the case of football players though, it's also the brain injuries. :P /tangent

In a nutshell yeah, but I don't think it's that muc of an addiction.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

ya but then i'd have 2k extreme melee sets i'd never use.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

ya but then i'd have 2k extreme melee sets i'd never use.

Beats the 4k youd have already?