Hallowe'en Treat: Scary Bonus XP Weekend!

Matt258

I have never seen so many complaining little [beep]s as I see in the BXW related posts (especially on RSOF, but some people here as well) ...

Really? I've a LOT more than this ... :lol:

TBH, my original reaction to the OP was that it was a troll. That's not to say that I am very pleased to know that I will be able to get bonus XP for my spirit trees and other products of my massive "farm run", it's just that I had given up hope that there'd be another such opportunity.

:shades:

Edited by Stev
Fixing quote

nyuseg.png

On the fansite forums they told it's a 2x-multiplier for the whole weekend, they haven't mentioned something about summoning, so I suppose it is also benefitting from this multiplier. :)

Just in case, I bought additional tertiary ingredients which should land me 90 or 91 summoning from 83. I still have a couple of weeks to farm crimsons at waterfiends though. I REALLY hope summoning finally gets the 2x multiplier instead of the 1.1x BS.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

If summoning is 2x, I'll get 96-99 Summoning (I have 12.94m in charms banked if they double) and then 93 to 95 herblore (I already had the torstol seeds before the announcement anyways.

If summoning is announced within a few days to be 1.1x, I'll maybe use my existing charms for ~97.5, 93-95 Herblore and 84-as high as I fee like hunter.

I was glad when they got rid of bxp weekends, but I do prefer the bonus being constant to decaying. Better still would be mad may necklaces or nothing at all, though.

Doesn't mean I won't take advantage. My only concern is maxing a combat skill (summoning) before 99 slayer, but I'm not sure if I care.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

I doubt summoning will be 2x. Considering it was at 10% for the entire duration of previous BXPWs, it'll probably be the same this time.

If the guys who balanced this BXPW are the same guys who thought it'd be harmless to boost the skill gear from 2.5% to 5%, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a 2x boost for Summoning :P

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Out of curiosity, what was un-harmless about an extra 2.5%?

Really though this is far more overpowered than other bxpw's (except the first for summoning possibly). The constant 2x is much higher than the decaying rate, assuming you play for an abnormal amount of time on bxpws. I believe that is a fair assumption.

200/550 torstols grown, 45ish seeds left.

Maybe I should start saving battlestaves/flasks. That would get expensive though. Maybe just flasks

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

I'm still not buying my supplies, the market is going way too high at the moment. I'm hoping there will be a moment during the following two weeks were there is a crash in prices. On a related note: should get a few herblore levels, have about 10k herbs from kingdom that I can use. :P

Why's everyone trying to make a quick buck, buy what you need or want to do for bxp and use it when the time comes. But no, people have to hoard every piece of shit they think they can make money on, I hope it crashes and they can't break even.

Laplacian.png

Thus, bonus experience weekends are not new? Giving free players something this time is nice, but it is not difficult to see how these do more harm than good.

If you don't believe it is harming the game, at least see that events like this convince a minority to players to stay on for ridiculous hours to try gain the most benefit out of the 48 hours. Its not healthy.

If players choose the "unhealthy" path of playing for a full 48 hours, that's not Jagex's fault. That's the player's fault. It's the player's responsibility to make responsible life decisions. It's not like Jagex is holding a loaded gun to everyone's head and forcing them to play for two days straight. If you get sick or something as a result of grinding for so long, you have no one to blame but yourself. At the end of the day, you're the one who chose to do that.

Nonsense. Actions often have measurable social impacts. What's happening here is Jagex is providing(for some people) what is a strong incentive to engage in a particular form of behaviour which they likely would not have engaged in if not for Jagex. Simply pretending that individuals are perfectly atomised self-aware beings who are not at all affected by their environment is silly. Absolving Jagex of the responsibility for the predictable consequences of their actions is the height of absurdity.

Edited: changed word.

Thus, bonus experience weekends are not new? Giving free players something this time is nice, but it is not difficult to see how these do more harm than good.

If you don't believe it is harming the game, at least see that events like this convince a minority to players to stay on for ridiculous hours to try gain the most benefit out of the 48 hours. Its not healthy.

If players choose the "unhealthy" path of playing for a full 48 hours, that's not Jagex's fault. That's the player's fault. It's the player's responsibility to make responsible life decisions. It's not like Jagex is holding a loaded gun to everyone's head and forcing them to play for two days straight. If you get sick or something as a result of grinding for so long, you have no one to blame but yourself. At the end of the day, you're the one who chose to do that.

Nonsense. Actions often have measurable social impacts. What's happening here is Jagex is providing(for some people) what is a strong incentive to engage in a particular form of behaviour which they likely would not have engaged in if not for Jagex. Simply pretending that individuals are atomised automatons who are not at all affected by their environment is silly. Absolving Jagex of the responsibility for the predictable consequences of their actions is the height of absurdity.

Are you saying the players are not responsible for their own decisions?

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

Why's everyone trying to make a quick buck, buy what you need or want to do for bxp and use it when the time comes. But no, people have to hoard every piece of shit they think they can make money on, I hope it crashes and they can't break even.

Because people are greedy. It's funny though when so many people decide to hoard and then end up breaking even or losing since so many other hoarders are trying to sell as well.

Are you saying that Jagex is not subsiding and encouraging a particular behaviour and thus has no responsibility in this matter?

Jagex has absolutely no responsibility for the actions of their customers on how long and unhealthy they play. There is no penalty for players that do not participate in the BXPW. Jagex has stated plenty of times that playing this game is best done in moderation and to take breaks, etc etc. If ppl choose to nolife that weekend, it is 100% their own responsibility.

By your logic, gun makers are responsible for the killing (murders/accidents) of millions of people (civilians) every year? Or, I suppose Wal-Mart is responsible for the overspending of their customers on holidays when they have special sales? As a consumer, we all have full responsibility for our actions. This game is not an obligation, but a choice.

• Like 2

seconcomiha2.png

543rd person to achieve 99 smithing - April 15, 2007

9,167th person to achieve max cape - December 15, 2012

5,345th person to achieve max skills - April 1, 2013

Achieved Completionist cape - April 5, 2013

Are you saying that Jagex is not subsiding and encouraging a particular behaviour and thus has no responsibility in this matter?

Is Jagex "encouraging" unhealthy playing habits? Directly, no. Indirectly, maybe. Either way, it doesn't matter. It's still the players' responsibility to play in moderation. I'll understand WHY a player chose to be stupid and not sleep for 48 hours, however I won't feel sorry for them because they had a CHOICE to sleep or continue playing, and they willingly chose the unhealthy option.

Not sure why this is such an issue. People would be a lot happier if they quit worrying about other peoples' stupid decisions and started worrying about their own.

77yLQy8.png

ALG:

Are you saying that a substantial portion of the player population is going to play the game for two days straight to take advantage of this?

No, I have no idea of how many people will take advantage of this to that extent. Perhaps it might even be 0. My (ethical) claim is that Jagex should not be setting up such incentives. In particular, their decision to make the bonus 2x for the entire duration, rather than how it use to be where it would gradually degrade(and thus only be really usable for a certain limited amount of hours) is what I disagree with. It's a pretty clear implicit signifier(whatever their platitudes about moderation might be), that you better be on for RS for an unusual amount of time to take advantage of this situation.

Muggi:

Is Jagex "encouraging" unhealthy playing habits? Directly, no. Indirectly, maybe. Regardless, it's still the players' responsibility to play in moderation. I'll understand WHY a player chose to be stupid and not sleep for 48 hours, however I won't feel sorry for them because they had a CHOICE to sleep or continue playing, and they (not Jagex) chose the unhealthy option.

It isn't a matter of feeling sorry for people or excusing their behaviour; Jagex being in a position of some social influence should try to, when possible, exercise social responsibility, particularly when they are allowing young impressionable people(in the context of the legal system, I suppose that means under 18) to play their game.

My stance on the whole providing incentive to play extended hours is that it's not Jagex's responsibility, nor should it be. Either your young enough that someone should notice you've turned into a computer vampire and intervene, or your old enough to be responsible for your own actions.

The other thing is that being awake for 48 hours strait is not really all that dangerous, as long as you don't need any significant mental abilities after the first 12 hours or so, and as long as it doesn't happen frequently, the long term health effects should be non existent (long term sleep deprivation/excess will certainly shorten your life though).

If you take it as a given that bonus xp is going to happen (because Jagex wants money, and this is obviously a good way to get members or they wouldn't keep doing it), then they did choose a good duration. Longer and the damage to the games economy and sense of achievement would really start getting out of hand, and shorter would see a tonne more people staying up all night rather than splitting the work over two days.

EDIT: I'll concede that the decision to not have a sliding bonus is questionable, though for me not because of the incentive to stay up longer, but because of the effect this will have on the game, which will probably be several times over (in terms of xp gain) the previous iterations.

I'm considering the 48 hour challenge. If bonus exp wasn't given, I wouldn't even slightly consider it.

The previous method of 10 hours total with 1,1 for longer didn't encourage unhealthy gameplay. This method does.

Jagex have no responsibility for people staying up for 48, but by giving double the normal rate for 48 hours Jagex IS encouraging players to stay on as much as possible.

This will without a doubt have a bigger impact than previous BXPW assuming the rate is static throughout the 48 hours and not dynamic like previous ones.

• Like 1

I'm considering the 48 hour challenge. If bonus exp wasn't given, I wouldn't even slightly consider it.

The previous method of 10 hours total with 1,1 for longer didn't encourage unhealthy gameplay. This method does.

I agree wholeheartedly with this part of your post, and that has been my view as well. It's really a matter of the particular setup they decided(for whatever reason) to use *this* time. Their previous conceptions of the bonus XP were pretty acceptable from a health point of view.

This will without a doubt have a bigger impact than previous BXPW assuming the rate is static throughout the 48 hours and not dynamic like previous ones.

Definitely. Using numbers just off the top of my head (someone please corerct me if I'm wrong) and assuming you played for the entirety of the BXPW;

Past BXPWs

First 10 hours averaged to 1.7x = 7 'free' hours

The next 62 hours were 1.1x = 6.2 'free' hours

Maximum = 13.2 'free' hours

Hallowe'en BXPW

All 48 hours are 2x = 48 'free' hours