Bots

Zackeri

Ban all bots.

Whether you're using it to farm gp or gain xp or whatever is irrelevant. You deserve an instant permanent ban, not this pathetic 3 strike system.

So if I managed to get your password and botted on your char you deserve a perm ban?...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Ban all bots.

Whether you're using it to farm gp or gain xp or whatever is irrelevant. You deserve an instant permanent ban, not this pathetic 3 strike system.

So if I managed to get your password and botted on your char you deserve a perm ban?...

Offenses gained while your account wasn't in your control are removed from your record in most cases. Kind of a weird point to try to make.

hzvjpwS.gif

Ban all bots.

Offenses gained while your account wasn't in your control are removed from your record in most cases. Kind of a weird point to try to make.

Kinda like how the death eaters got away with being death eaters by claiming that all their actions were a result of someone using the Imperius Curse on them ...

Uh huh, yeah ... :rolleyes:

Whoa! Did I say that out loud?

**klaxon noise**

GEEK ALERT!

**klaxon noise**

GEEK ALERT!

**klaxon noise**

• Like 1

nyuseg.png

Ban all bots.

It's not that weird. I was under the impression that when botwatch is 100% sure you were botting and bans you there is no return? It's not like a minor rule break like a swear.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Ban all bots.

It's not that weird. I was under the impression that when botwatch is 100% sure you were botting and bans you there is no return? It's not like a minor rule break like a swear.

I would have a hard time imagining that if you contacted [email protected] or whatever it is that if you plead your case and it's investigated, you wouldn't get the ban removed just because they wanted to be hardasses. All similar issues like this in the past have usually been removed if it was proven they weren't in control of their account.

hzvjpwS.gif

the main thing is that with enough time, bots will eventually start attempting to control the things you actually do care about, even though at the moment you may not think such a thing will ever happen to you

it is foolish to think that they, like anybody else in rs, will ever be satisfied at some point and not go that step further, when they already have done it a million times over

8f14270694.jpg

the main thing is that with enough time, bots will eventually start attempting to control the things you actually do care about, even though at the moment you may not think such a thing will ever happen to you

it is foolish to think that they, like anybody else in rs, will ever be satisfied at some point and not go that step further, when they already have done it a million times over

Research shows signs of a Kiln bot in the works since every wave is the same, which is easier to script. Time for 250,000gp fury's.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Of course, but until that time that they do move on to bigger and better things they don't have a major impact on my gameplay. At that time I will want them out not only for being detrimental to the game as a whole but because they directly harm me. However, we're not there yet.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Of course, but until that time that they do move on to bigger and better things they don't have a major impact on my gameplay. At that time I will want them out not only for being detrimental to the game as a whole but because they directly harm me. However, we're not there yet.

And even though it's inevitable that they will at least attempt to get there, you're okay with waiting for the problem to surface before wanting to do something about it, instead of pre-emptively solving it? Interesting.

• Like 1

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

and i suppose by that time, you'll just be able to snap your fingers and make them go away, because we know that's how it works and that you are a genie, during which by no means they haven't actually built up countermeasures to that kind of thing, despite it being the heart of their livelihood which has granted them the resources required to do so

of course there won't be any lasting consequences because you're just that good

8f14270694.jpg

bot user thoughts:

"If people want to play the game normally; I don't care. Deep down they know their earned achievements are worth nothing because we've done them many times over with botting. We don't care because we're not doing this for prestige, just money. If they don't realize that, they're just plain stupid. As long as they keep buying our goods and gold and leave us alone."

not so different after all

8f14270694.jpg

I only really get annoyed by them when they take the spots of stuff that I'm trying to collect or something that would prevent me from playing the game.

For example, now I'm trying to collect my own swamp toads for the BXPW cause they're costing an arm and a leg for the lot of them; but I'm prevented due to the amount of bots. I mean I've had to hop about 15+ worlds so far, where there are 2-3 bots each (reporting before I re-log, of course..although I doubt anything will be done about them anytime soon.)

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

and i suppose by that time, you'll just be able to snap your fingers and make them go away, because we know that's how it works and that you are a genie, during which by no means they haven't actually built up countermeasures to that kind of thing, despite it being the heart of their livelihood which has granted them the resources required to do so

of course there won't be any lasting consequences because you're just that good

You: Someday in the future bots will bother you

Me: Yes, but we're not there yet.

You: So you think you're a genie and can snap your fingers and make them go away?

Where the hell did that come from? It is possible to want them gone today for the good of the game without personally being bothered by them you know.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

my point was that if you wait until that point, the solution might not just fall out of the sky fast enough to do any good

case in point: it's taken them this long to attempt doing something about the situation that has come up since the implementation of the previous countermeasure, and it ultimately is still a work in progress that seems to have halted at the moment since the judge dredd incident

we'll be playing catch up forever at this rate

8f14270694.jpg

Ban everyone who ever botted, ever. Even autotyped.

Haha how cute

I assume you botted before.

Im willing to say 70% of runescape is an active botter as in someone botting a skill or goldfarming.

Im willing to say that 90% of runescape has botted on the account they are on.

This comes back to poor game design. Now if CoD had an achievement for getting 1 million kills, you might get some people who would no longer look at matches as a few minutes of fun but as kills per hour. With that you will likely get kill farming, paying chinese players to up your kill count, or people making automated macros for it. Why fps games dont devolve into that is because achievements are around killing lots of people without dying and feats of that nature.

In runescape people cheat because unlike CoD the standard gameplay lacks any sorts of emergence. In a pvp environment theres a million variables out there and your fights are going to be different everytime. However when training slayer you are fighting the same boring monsters over and over again. Cutting the same tree to the end of time. etc.

Now you dont HAVE to grind if you dont want to right? well people do want those nice stats and access to any new quests that come out so its not really fair to say that you have to train your agility to 80 for the new quest even though its 30+ hours of boring work. From someone who has a job, I would rather work for an hour then train agility for an hour. So back to my original stance that I dont blame people bot botting skills. Its poor game design. Blizzard's WoW used to be grindy as hell, even is now however Battlegrounds (pvp) gives the same xp rate roughly as questing. Theres enough quests to justify not doing straight grinding (in vanilla you had to grind at some points on local mobs). Theres instance dungeons that give around the same xp rate as questing.

See whats going on here?

- Grinding (most boring)

- Quests (can be grindy but are a bit more diverse)

- Instances (grindy but reliant on the 5 man group. If your a tank or healer you have a better experience then a dps)

- Pvp (highly unique gameplay, the enemy team can be terrible or your team can. If you have a few good friends you can own a battleground and ensure your dominence)

In runescape, agility skill

- Grind

- rare quest reward (no you cant do regicide over and over again to train via quests if you loath agility courses)

- rare occasional xp (fishing has a low agility xp rate but fishing has all the problems of agility)

Runescape combat:

- Grind

- Grind on random mobs (synonymous with WoW questing without the unique quests like bombing quests or storyline ones)

- Pvp (poor to non existance xp)

- Pvm (poor to non existant xp, very grindy just with a chance at dying)

Ban everyone who ever botted, ever. Even autotyped.

Haha how cute

I assume you botted before.

Im willing to say 70% of runescape is an active botter as in someone botting a skill or goldfarming.

i hope you're kidding.

I didn't have much problems with bots in Runescape. Jagex is compareable to bots in way they disrupt the game balance by making people get better fashion items with money, or get auras by paying money month after month instead of the choice to pay for a month when you can and want to play Runescape(healthy playing).

And it seems with Squeal and Soloman's shop that this disrupting of game balance have been taken up a notch.

At one point they may sell items.

Then the question all of you who dislike bots can ask yourself "If Jagex is ruining the spirit of game by allowing people to buy items, which devalues the achievement of people who played Runescape the RIGHT WAY, then what's the big problem with bots then?".

One can also ask the question: is it better to fight bots or not? For example, prices go down. There will be comptition at monster spots (non boss ones), but then you can use little money to buy pots to go kill big bosses which are places bots aren't to good at.

And if Jagex expanded Runescape map and monster spots, then it should theoretically keep certain big boss areas empty for many non botters plus skilling spots for non combat players.

Instead of focusing to much attention on bots (who will probably be around at end of Runescape), one should focus on improving the community spirit, the gameplay of Runescape and fairness of the game.

If you improve community - you will have a bunch of players volunteering to fight bots.

If you improve gameplay - happy players. Happy players creates potential more volunteers.

And if you update Runescape in a fair way (Soloman is not fair for example), then players will again be happy and show respect back to the company.

I wouldn't put it higher than 40% & 60%, and if you really believe your numbers, I don't understand why you play this game at all.

well people do want those nice stats and access to any new quests that come out so its not really fair to say that you have to train your agility to 80 for the new quest even though its 30+ hours of boring work.

Sure it is. Everyone who gets to play that new quest with the 80 agility requirement had to train their agility to 80. What's not fair is for someone to skip the work that everyone else put in because they feel entitled to do so. You get mad at people who randomly cut in line in front of you, right? Not a perfect analogy, since someone else doing a quest doesn't necessarily delay you from doing the same quest, but it's similar.

See whats going on here?

Yes. You're playing Runescape, instead of WoW. It's a different game, it works differently, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you want to play something more like WoW, try playing more WoW. (And the same applies to anyone coming in from another game and justifying their botting on Runescape by saying that other games aren't as much work.)

Jagex is compareable to bots in way they disrupt the game balance by making people get better fashion items with money, or get auras by paying money month after month instead of the choice to pay for a month when you can and want to play Runescape(healthy playing).

But those options are pretty much equally available to everyone (without getting into issues of how much income you have to spend on Runescape). Bots aren't, not really. I can't say I have any experience with it myself, but I'm guessing that the bots which actually work are probably run by a small group (in comparison to all Runescape players), and you have to be "in" in order to make use of them. Also, because they aren't being run by companies, with all the safety networks companies provide, you really don't know if you're getting what you pay bot-makers for, or if you're potentially getting malware or the like, and you have little to no avenue of recourse if it steals your account and/or breaks your computer (as opposed to a legit company, where you could contact customer support and/or file lawsuits).

And it seems with Squeal and Soloman's shop that this disrupting of game balance have been taken up a notch.

At one point they may sell items.

And that point is when I will flip a table in anger, if they start directly selling items that provide significant in-game benefits. We haven't gotten there yet, and I still hope that we won't ever.

Then the question all of you who dislike bots can ask yourself "If Jagex is ruining the spirit of game by allowing people to buy items, which devalues the achievement of people who played Runescape the RIGHT WAY, then what's the big problem with bots then?".

Again, I'm still hoping we won't get there.

One can also ask the question: is it better to fight bots or not? For example, prices go down. There will be comptition at monster spots (non boss ones), but then you can use little money to buy pots to go kill big bosses which are places bots aren't to good at.

You also can't make money as a production-style skiller, because the bots are undercutting you all over the place.

And if Jagex expanded Runescape map and monster spots, then it should theoretically keep certain big boss areas empty for many non botters plus skilling spots for non combat players.

Or, more likely, more bots will come in and fill the extra space, just as they have done already.

Instead of focusing to much attention on bots (who will probably be around at end of Runescape), one should focus on improving the community spirit, the gameplay of Runescape and fairness of the game.

If you improve community - you will have a bunch of players volunteering to fight bots.

If you improve gameplay - happy players. Happy players creates potential more volunteers.

And if you update Runescape in a fair way (Soloman is not fair for example), then players will again be happy and show respect back to the company.

And if you start making botting permissible, you'll have a ton of massively high level accounts that have no actual investment in the game itself, and a massive turnover rate of new players when they see that no one actually plays the game until they've botted their way to all 99s, and everyone who actually does that then quits because there's nothing fun to do anymore.

A major draw of Runescape, and other games like it, is that you get to make slow progress towards some massive goals - this is rather enjoyable, even if you don't always reach them. If you can just shell out $20 for a program to do it all for you, that kind of ruins the point, don't you think? That is why I actively dislike bots.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Those options are availble to everyone if they use money. There is no alternative option to get a Soloman item or Auras other than having to go through paying for three months membership or buying "coins". And because there is no alternative option (i haven't played rs in long time so if i am wrong let me know), you have to pay. There are seriously players who are cosmetic based, and they enjoy playing Runescape by having fancy items. This is ONE branch of players - fashion players. When they have to pay for cosmetic items for example - then how is that fair to them? They have no other choice.

As for Aura, i paid for membership once. Then i was told i had to register my email to receive aura points. So i did. Then i bought another membership after first one expired. Did i get any of the lousy 100 points for first time? No, i received 0 aura despite registring before second membership.

You should be able to buy membership when it suites you i.e when you want to play Runescape. But the whole member loyalty programme kinda puts a pressure on players, because if they buy membership in january, stop playing in february and buy again in March - they receive 0 or very little points. I have seriously thought the idea of paying for membership for points despite not wanting or not being able to play Runescape (i have thought that). However, i know that's unhealthy obssession.

And by pressuring people to pay for membership to gain advantages, people loose out on playing Runescape. Because their purpose with paying is to gather points, and they put their interest in playing the game those certain months aside.

I think Jagex should have a passive stance towards bots (but still effective actions). For example they should focus on expanding the game resources, but at same time try to find out a way players can join in on killing bots. Making bot killing part of the game.

That would be a genius thing. Implementing bot killing as part of the game.

This would create another type of player = bot killer. However, if they can figure out how to implement bot killing into the game then i suggest focusing on that alot. But that is if they have a good fundament for killing bots - a fundament that bot programmers can't beat without alot of effort. And as bot programmers update their scripts - Jagex could follow up fast and update their bot killing skill/minigame.

I did not mean that you should make botting permissible by the way.

And whether a botter bots his or her way to lvl 138 or not - how does that really affect you? I mean Jagex should as i said create a way to allow players to kill bots at resource spots as part of the game, but really if a botter gets 1 bill money - it doesn't affect me one bit.

However, if someone forced ME to bot - then that would ruin the point of playing. But as i said Jagex have done things that are against the spirit of the game with Soloman and Squeal.

Now if i am wrong tell me but have you noticed that there are quite a big amount of fashion players in Runescape (usually at Varrock center)? Don't you think it's unfair to those players that they have to pay for cosmetics?