Castle wars

lwilson100

It's up the ladder from the respawn room - if you stay in the respawn room for more than two minutes you get booted back to the waiting room.

Leaves you very exposed to loafer hunters, if they can be bothered.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

You're in the enemy castle, near the flag, it's not that easy to kill them. People attack you even if you're just killing loafers. Some of loafers also defend themselves, some have auto-retaliate on, some cast venge, some barricade themselves.

Only thing that really works is barrage with SS or if the teams are very unbalanced and the loafers' team is losing badly and nobody is defending the inside of the castle.

2480+ total

It seems like they should implement an inactivity timer like they did for soul wars to prevent loafing. But then again, this would make the trimmed comp cape infinitely harder to achieve as actually participating in 5000 games of castle wars would be so mind numbing that I don't think anyone could survive it without turning into a vegetable.

Have the courage to change the things you can, the patience to accept the things you can't, and the wisdom to know the difference.

[/Quote]

It seems like they should implement an inactivity timer like they did for soul wars to prevent loafing. But then again, this would make the trimmed comp cape infinitely harder to achieve as actually participating in 5000 games of castle wars would be so mind numbing that I don't think anyone could survive it without turning into a vegetable.

Not to mention it could have the potential (depending on how it works) to ruin Castle Wars for people trying to play. A lot more so than the loafers are.
  • Like 3

Chances are an inactivity timer would actually make things worse.

What judges activity? If someone wishes to loaf, they will find a way. This could mean they all punch a barricade upstairs, or randomly drop explosive potions to take damage. At worse I could see a team's supply of barricades used up by loafers for activity and them punching them.

Then have to worry about the activity timer hurting actual players, such as the level 80s defending. They are contributing somewhat, but chances are if activity is based on dealing damage, then they won't have the output it takes defending to keep the activity bar up.

Currently at the very least, loafers don't do anything hurt the team, nor anything to help it either (can make the argument a team stacked with loafers hurts the team, but still when I loafed for my hybrid helms I always felt the loafers were fairly well distributed on average, with only the occasional game way out of balance). Adding activity they could enter the realm of hurting the teams just to be able to loaf.

• Like 3
siggy_zps7b2911b4.png

The only probable solution might be to assign teams completely randomly to reduce the potential for stacking (i.e. one portal, one waiting room, and teams are allocated when timer reaches 0). This would hurt clans/private matches though, so they'd have to implement a clan feature for Castle Wars too.

There's a really good CW suggestion thread on the HLF by a mega-enthusiast, but I can't check it up at the moment.

6Ij0n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unless I'm missing something it's not really logical to put effort in to do 5000 castle wars games when there are no bonuses besides combat xp, and Jagex hasn't put an activity bar in. The argument a lot of people try to make is that "well it's not fair that we have to do all of the work" and the whole "we'll lose if you don't help". That implies there aren't an equal number of AFKers on both teams, and each team roughly wins 1 game per loss with a long enough sample. The "solution" would be to make the requirement a reasonable number of games, though there would probably be a lot of outcry from people who already did 5k that that's not fair. IIRC, the only reason they made it 5k games was because somebody already had the other requirements or something along those lines.

Travis_D.png       k_Lw.png

An activity bar of any sort is completely unnecessary. It's odious enough that Jagex made such a vile requirement, there's no need to inflict any further suffering onto the few who aspire for those capes. The fact you perceive the need to add an activity bar in the first place should tip you off to the fact there's something wrong with the design itself. It's a minigame, people should naturally want to do stuff in there and be there for fun, the fact that people aren't doing that is indicative of the perverse incentive structure, that's the root problem and it is this which needs to be addressed. Until it is fixed, "loafers" have my sympathies.

I'm sorry - I must have missed it, but why doesn't anyone attack the loafers, again? unsure.gif

Maybe they have auto-retaliate on? Or killing 138s is just too difficult. I don't know.

It's a safe mini-game. Why not simply engage them and at least make them participate? At least then they've nothing to complain about, right? :huh:

Your average loafer is armed to teeth. One does not simply harass loafers.

It appears to me that average loafers are usually equipped with a mud staff for remote farm.

After you start killing them, though, sometimes they come back in the next game armed to the teeth. Sometimes they just don't care. Sometimes they're just bots.

6Ij0n.jpg

An activity bar of any sort is completely unnecessary. It's odious enough that Jagex made such a vile requirement, there's no need to inflict any further suffering onto the few who aspire for those capes.

A lot of "casual players", ie the people who whine about loafers during castle wars just don't understand the magnitude of this requirement. Not only months of doing only castle wars games which dwarfs the other requirements time wise, but castle wars is a very repetitive thing to do, with no major rewards besides the minigame gear and completionists cape.

Travis_D.png       k_Lw.png

If they are sitting idle, it's as good as them not being there. So what's the matter.

It's trimming req, else there'd be [alot] more.

Why would you add a requirement that takes half a year no-lifing to obtain. And if you're going to add minigames as a requirement, why only castlewars. Why not spread out the 2000 hours across several different minigames

Because then you'd have loafers in every minigame?

Lol I'm loafing CW as I read this topic.

[hide=]

1hjaL.png

[/hide]

Uggh... I think I just had an aneurysm.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

So what exactly is the problem with loafing? It's like they aren't even there. Why pull your hair out over something that doesn't effect the game?

People used to do it for tickets anyway, though not as many as now for trimmed req.

This is an off-topic post I'm about to make but it does sort of make sense regarding the thread...

I think it's about time Jagex dedicated time towards Castle Wars, revamped the rewards and the game time (20 minutes is too long, maybe 10 is sufficient). They need better/more rewards with less time/cost.

I think I'm right in saying getting all maxed gear in CW takes longer than to get any 99 Skill (in amount to time), I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

This is an off-topic post I'm about to make but it does sort of make sense regarding the thread...

I think it's about time Jagex dedicated time towards Castle Wars, revamped the rewards and the game time (20 minutes is too long, maybe 10 is sufficient). They need better/more rewards with less time/cost.

I think I'm right in saying getting all maxed gear in CW takes longer than to get any 99 Skill (in amount to time), I could be wrong though.

I agree with you in all ways. At the moment I'm working on trim requirements and as muc as I try to push the cw requirements to the back of my head they still come to mind. I've thought about different ways to try making cw interesting and the best answer I could think of is bringing blood barrage runes and constantly casting all day... Obviously nothing much.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

It's a shame. CW used to be a lot more fun. With the loafers, they're never distributed evenly. Hopefully Jagex realizes they killed one of their best minigames and will remove the requirement.

Ca_Whale.png

It's a shame. CW used to be a lot more fun. With the loafers, they're never distributed evenly. Hopefully Jagex realizes they killed one of their best minigames and will remove the requirement.

That would be harsh towards the people who loaf'd several months to get that requirement.

And also, CW got unpopular/ruined when SW came around, the 5k Req just brought more (loafing) players to the game.

That would be harsh towards the people who loaf'd several months to get that requirement.

And also, CW got unpopular/ruined when SW came around, the 5k Req just brought more (loafing) players to the game.

That would assume Jagex actually cared about passed achievements. Hint: They don't.

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

That would assume Jagex actually cared about passed achievements. Hint: They don't.

I don't think you can make an accusation like that, since you have no idea what goes on in their studio. They may be on the verge of nerfing the requirement, but haven't because of prior achievements. You don't know.

I think a more realistic game goal would be to say "Play 5,000 games of castle wars, soul wars, fight pits, or pest control." Meaning a combination of all of them. With that said I think jagex should create an additional reward, other than mini-game armors, for your progress towards 5k games played in all of these minigames. This seems to keep variety, ties things up nicely and helps to break the monotony while preserving the longevity and feat of the goal. Regardless what is done you are going to have your loafers and people who are trying to maximize their "efficiency" by doing things the fastest way.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Delete the 5k games req and the loafers are gone. Make the cape cost 5k tickets rather than being unlocked at 5k games so you can still show off your castle wars games if you want to.

theres already castle wars bots, I dont think that would change that.

Its kind of like there being an achievement for 1 million CoD kills. You will get some people who get totally addicted to the achievement that they will start paying their friends to leave their xboxes on and keep dying, or lend their account to killfarmers in china, or possibly work on some way to automate as much as possible

Even though FPS matchmaking is fun ridiculous time commitment achievements drive completionist oriented people to extreme measures