'Unfortunate' Lag ?

TheLad1

Have Jagex added lag to slow down XP gains - nothing would surprise me!!

Of course it wouldn't surprise you, you're on the lookout for something to complain about and someone to blame.

Actually, If you follow the threads I respond to I very rarely criticise Jagex, given in the main they do a good job in trying circumstances whereby they cannot please everyone. On this occaision I found it very surprising to be working fine up to 1pm & then 'Bang' the infamous 2 step start stop walking routine.

So your first inclination is to say that Jagex is deliberately causing lag as some conspiracy to reduce xp gain? When Jagex originally talked about ending the double exp weekend, one of the moderators (Mark, I believe) said that the reason was half economic and half technical. Maybe running one last bonus exp weekend is their way of solidifying with the community that the event seriously screws up the game.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Eh, none of the other bxp weekends were as bad as this. Also, I think it'd be better to tell players bxp causes technicaly issues then to cause one.

I was busy saturday, managed to get a few minutes around lunchtime. Got in after a few attempts, was taking the 3 step stop thing. I was on 15 minutes top because I had other things to do. Went on later, late at night and I think I had a little trouble logging int, but eventually got in and I didn't experience any unusual lag. Got all my summon training done. Now I've been trying to like 10 minutes to log on and it keeps saying I'm already logged on. SO glad I stayed up late to do all my summ tranining.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I think it is worse than the other bonus exp weekends because with bonus exp people eventually stopped skilling and such after the bonus ran out

I think that may be the reason behind the horrible lag. Though i imagine people will stop skilling because they will either burn out or run out of materials or both.

However, I'm experiencing virtually no issues on foreign language worlds. Other than everything is en francais and I only know words like fromage and fenêtre and sortie which aren't particularily useful in runescape, but thats a small price to pay for no lag.

Seventi.png

Haven't had any lag, not even in LRC world 77, at full screen and HD graphics. :s Did have a lot of problems to log in.

Gained some levels overall, though I'm sad I forgot you could do citadel for double exp, reached cap already last monday and tomorrow I'm having too much school to play through the next building tick. :s

The main issue I've had with the lagg is the game tick appears to have been delayed. People have reported both Dung & Castle War games taking far longer that the game timer suggested.

The knock on effect of this is 4 out of 5 of my 2nd run of Fruit Trees still haven't grown - at last count that was 32 hours !!

the_lad_1.png

The main issue I've had with the lagg is the game tick appears to have been delayed. People have reported both Dung & Castle War games taking far longer that the game timer suggested.

The knock on effect of this is 4 out of 5 of my 2nd run of Fruit Trees still haven't grown - at last count that was 32 hours !!

Yew trees took 17% longer to grow at a rate of 472 minutes to grow instead of 400. It was annoying wasting xp to wait for trees.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Yew trees took 17% longer to grow at a rate of 472 minutes to grow instead of 400. It was annoying wasting xp to wait for trees.

But then you are getting almost twice as much XP per time, or half the cost in GP per XP, depending on which way you look at it, so... *shrug*. You still benefit. By quite some margin.

Perspective is a wonderful thing.

It's not so much Jagex causing this to happen than it is Jagex not doing anything to fix it. Jagex didn't make the lag happen, but their lax attitude about it really annoyed me this weekend.

Also, I don't know how Jagex can have more people playing. If 160k people can't skill without every single world lagging, the game will be unplayable if it gets more popular. I don't think the xp bonus caused the lag, because previous weekends weren't nearly as bad, even during the blitz when EVERYONE was online at the start.

At it's peak, my dungeon that last 26 minutes according to jagex timer (slow enough as it is) actually took 41 minutes in real life.

So yeah, it was bad.

Vmser.png

Also, I don't know how Jagex wants more people playing. If 160k people can't skill without every single world lagging, the game will be unplayable if it gets more popular. I don't think the xp bonus caused the lag, because previous weekends weren't nearly as bad, even during the blitz when EVERYONE was online at the start.

No, I can't understand why a business would want more potential customers using its (by far) leading product either. What a ridiculous sentiment that would be. It's not like they could put on more servers if the game, God forbid, did become more popular or anything.

Also, I don't know how Jagex wants more people playing. If 160k people can't skill without every single world lagging, the game will be unplayable if it gets more popular. I don't think the xp bonus caused the lag, because previous weekends weren't nearly as bad, even during the blitz when EVERYONE was online at the start.

No, I can't understand why a business would want more potential customers using its (by far) leading product either. What a ridiculous sentiment that would be. It's not like they could put on more servers if the game, God forbid, did become more popular or anything.

I'm sorry, I meant how Jagex can have more people playing. I just woke up. Sorry that enraged you.

Also servers have a 2k limit. I doubt buying more servers is on the agenda because the servers aren't anywhere near max capacity.

Also servers have a 2k limit. I doubt buying more servers is on the agenda because the servers aren't anywhere near max capacity.

It's definitely not on their agenda. They removed several servers after last year's bot nuke as a cost cutting measure because worlds were so underpopulated.

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Yes, they purposefully butchered their servers to screw over the people who pay for their food, houses, cars, children's education among many other things.

I know this is a runescape forum but god, this is a bit ridiculous.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

The swords have been swung, and the monsters slain; the dragon bones interred and the pouches infused. The dust has finally settled from our first ever Double XP Weekend, and what a doozy it was!

This is the first time that we've ever offered a flat rate of bonus XP - double XP for members - and the first time that we've opened up a Bonus XP Weekend to free players. All together, you clocked up an incredible 4,445,966 hours of game time over the weekend, and accumulated untold billions of XP. The level of devotion displayed for RuneScape over the weekend was truly staggering.

This level of activity was unprecedented, and at peak times some worlds experienced notable lag. The log-in servers also felt the strain, meaning that some users had difficulty logging in or switching worlds. While we kept everything running over the course of the 48 hours, we're aware that this was frustrating to those of you who were affected.

We'd like to apologise to anyone who had problems playing over the course of the weekend. In light of this, we're working hard to upgrade our server infrastructure, as well as further optimising our game systems.

Thank you again for your unmatched enthusiasm for RuneScape, and for your patience when there were technical issues. You can be sure that our next big game event will be better, smoother and more fun than ever before.

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/bonus-xp-weekend-wrap-up

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

@ Saradomin_Mage: Thanks for the link.

It's not so much Jagex causing this to happen than it is Jagex not doing anything to fix it. Jagex didn't make the lag happen, but their lax attitude about it really annoyed me this weekend.

Also, I don't know how Jagex can have more people playing. If 160k people can't skill without every single world lagging, the game will be unplayable if it gets more popular. I don't think the xp bonus caused the lag, because previous weekends weren't nearly as bad, even during the blitz when EVERYONE was online at the start.

Maybe they didn't fix it because it wasn't a realistic option at that point. It's the weekend, so most of them aren't working, and what if it's just too complicated to fix in that short period of time?

@ Above: what makes you think they knew? Your attitude reminds me of the attitude of OP: somethings wrong with RS, obviously Jagex is deliberately screwing over their game.

Jagex is not going to screw over their game just for the sake of pissing off players. I know there's all sorts of rage towards Jagex, but please keep it reasonable and plausible.

• Like 1

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I have to admit this double xp weekend fail is priceless. They hype it up and then it fails miserably. The rsof is full of complaint threads with high entertainment value. What more could a man ask for? :P

2480+ total

@ Saradomin_Mage: Thanks for the link.

Maybe they didn't fix it because it wasn't a realistic option at that point. It's the weekend, so most of them aren't working, and what if it's just too complicated to fix in that short period of time?

@ Above: what makes you think they knew? Your attitude reminds me of the attitude of OP: somethings wrong with RS, obviously Jagex is deliberately screwing over their game.

Jagex is not going to screw over their game just for the sake of pissing off players. I know there's all sorts of rage towards Jagex, but please keep it reasonable and plausible.

If you had read through the whole thread you will notice a post from me sympathising with Jagex in respect that they do a good job (most of the time) in very trying circumstances.

My original post has been misinterpreted (like much on these forums) - I was merely voicing an opinion (with added sarcasm) that there was no lag leading up to the 'delayed' launch of BXP & as soon as it started it was a lag-fest, with no initial change in world populations.

the_lad_1.png

I don't understand why everyone's complaining about this "delayed" start. I calculated that it would start at 5am Pacific, and I was able to start at... 5 am pacific.... I had to log out and log in after 5am to get it rolling but that was it.

I had zero issues starting. Why does everyone complain it didn't start on time? Did they misunderstand the starting time? Did they try to use the RS clock? (I believe that clock is off because it's still British Summer time right now and not GMT, which might be the complaint...)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014