Behind the Scenes - November

Leik

Tears Of Guthix: Go with the Flow (Members Only)

Our first update this month is a refresh of our weekly Tears of Guthix D&D. We’ve updated the XP rewards for everyone, so that it can compete with more recently introduced ways of gaining XP, meaning that your weekly visit to Juna will be far more rewarding. If Tears of Guthix is something you’ve never tried, then this is a great reason to give it a go! We’ve also let the graphics team loose on the area, meaning that the cave, light creatures and Juna have had a spectacular facelift that’s so awesome it almost made her cry with joy.

If you’re blessed with 80 Mining and Crafting, and you’ve completed the Tears of Guthix quest, you’ll also have the brand new option of making a bigger ornate bowl to catch those precious tears, meaning yet more XP - up to five times as much you'd have got pre-update - for your lowest skill.

Dungeoneering XP Increases (Free Players & Members)

As mentioned earlier in the year, we’ve been carefully looking at the XP rates for small Dungeoneering groups, and were ready to make some changes. We’re still committed to giving the biggest rewards to groups of five players, but we’ve listened to your feedback and run countless dungeons ourselves to come up with a system that’s fairer to all.

Groups that contain fewer than five dungeoneers will receive an XP boost, with solo group XP being doubled as a minimum. Solo XP at higher levels can now reach figures of 350k per hour - possibly even higher depending on the room-raiding qualities of the adventurer. While it’s still most rewarding to explore in a group of five, those of you going it alone or in small groups will find your dungeon-delving more worthwhile than ever!

Don’t forget that this means an increase to your Dungeoneering tokens too, meaning that ever-elusive chaotic or bonecrushing equipment will finally be in your grasp.

Ariane Quests: Rune Mysteries (Free Players & Members) and Rune Memories (Members Only)

For the second time this year, we are releasing two exciting quests at the same time, focusing on one of our heroic trio of adventurers. The first of these quests will be an addition to the free game, and is a replacement for the old Rune Mysteries quest. This time, it’s Ariane’s story that’s explored, and it’s a story that reaches back to the very foundations of one of our oldest game areas – the Wizards' Tower.

Expelled for using forbidden knowledge, Ariane's returned to the Wizards' Tower to face a grave threat. It has long been known that the Wizards' Tower was built on the ruins of an older one, destroyed by a conflict between Saradominist and Zamorakian wizards, but the details have been buried for centuries. With these quests, the full story is revealed as you strive to help Ariane uncover the tower's lost secrets and save the wizards from an unknown peril.

As with the Ozan quests earlier in the year, this launch will see huge reworks of some of RuneScape’s oldest areas. The Wizards' Tower itself has been redesigned from the ground up, featuring a portal beam instead of stairs, animating bookcases and four floors of enchanted wonders. The audio team have - once again - really made the environment sing with joy and, of course, given every character a new voice. The Runecrafting Guild has also received some graphical spit and polish, so do make sure you pop by to visit.

Rewards for this rune-riffic extravaganza include new titles, new mage outfits, a new mage weapon for low-level players and rune essence rewards that grow as your Runecrafting levels increase! There will also be additional, hidden rewards for higher-level players.

Gravestones Improvements (Free Players & Members)

Another update this month inspired by player feedback is an update to the gravestones in the game, or - more specifically - the way in which you interact with gravestones after an unfortunate encounter with death. We’ve created an interface to hold your items rather than drop them all to the floor, meaning it’s far easier to pick and choose what you wish to take, rather than picking from a list of items. We’ve also added a “take all” and a “re-equip all” button, which should help you get back to the action after reaching the site of your untimely demise. Of course, Death himself wanted a “reap-all” button, but we decided against that.

Make X (Free Players & Members)

Perhaps the largest update this month, and certainly something that every player will use on a daily basis, is a complete overhaul to the interfaces and systems used when making items. It takes all the information about item production - experience, value, Grand Exchange and Alchemy prices, skill and item requirements - and presents them in one place. This means you won’t have to frantically check through skill guides or websites just to work out how to train those precious skills. It also includes some brand new features (as well as maintaining the older ones) like being able to clean inventory-loads of herbs.

Combat Academy and Beta Access for All (Free Players & Members)

We will soon be launching the tutorial for the Evolution of Combat into our beta worlds, and will be opening those worlds to every single player. The Combat Academy - as it's called - is a great way to learn how the new combat system is going to work. To encourage you to try it out, we’re offering a generous XP rewardto the live account of players who complete both the Combat Academy and a quick in-game poll. These tutorials will be located in Lumbridge just north of the castle and are quick and simple to master, so do log in and let us know what you think. We thrive on your feedback, so the more people involved, the better. The new combat system is almost ready for launch, so this is your best chance to be ahead of the crowd!

Solomon's General Store & Squeal of Fortune (Free Players & Members)

Solomon's Store is packed to the rafters with cool cosmetic gear this month. First up, the Dragon Keepsake Box goes on sale. This nifty gadget allows you to turn any item into a cosmetic reskin for its usual slot, so you can take on Nex with your p-hat perched proudly on your head.

Later this month, Solomon's also stocking the first hero packs, which include costume and weapon reskins and teleport animations fashioned after iconic RuneScape heroes. With these, you can rock that Ozan panache or wield magic with beguiling style like Ariane.

Yelps is getting in on the action too, with replay tokens for your favourite D&Ds cropping up on the Squeal of Fortune. Another monthly run at the Troll Invasion? An extra weekly bash at the Circus or the newly reworked Tears of Guthix? Don't mind if I do!

Full details are coming later in the month, so keep an eye on the news and on the forums.

Have fun!

Mod Mark

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

One word.

Wow.

Best month in a long freaking time!

Oh, I actually felt this month was quite lacklustre. Well, we'll see.

• Like 1

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

What a crappy month, only 1 good update, and thats the Tears of Guthix one.

Another revamped low level quest... cant we just have quests on storylines that need them.

Dungeoneering xp increase, pointless.

Gravestone rework, meh could work, only concern is how that will work in dagannoth kings if that thing gives you pop-up that goes away the instant you take damage.

Make-x rework, did they rework that like few months ago already....

and of course there has to be more SoF and Solomons....

Guess if you only wear comp cape for looks you can have it permanently now without losing it every update with the Dragon Keepsake Box, this should've been available for free. Time for people to dress up exactly how they want in PVM/E.

Things gets easier over time in games, thats just how it is. Hope this Make-X remake lets us actually use the old methods i so miss, but i digress... it will probably just make other things yet again x-able...

I heavily dislike that they remove old nostalgia quests of my childhood... because.... nostalgia!

That's it for me, time to play a game that hardly changes anything between each version and somewhat have the same storing system from the first game... pokémon. Maybe i'll find a wild shiny... or maybe not.

Oh, I actually felt this month was quite lacklustre. Well, we'll see.

It's not really heavy when it comes to new content, but virtually everything on that list seems like it'll be genuinely useful. It might not be incredible, but it's far from lackluster (Unless you're one of the people on this board who thinks the only content should be for maxed players).

• Like 4

Tears update, yes, nice, but nothing game-changing.

More solo dg xp, moving further and further away from the idea of a team-based skill, not really good imo, not bad either.

Quest overhaul is good, but not game-changing either.

Make X will be horrible, knowing Jagex. But it could be nice.

Combat Beta better be fixed before they introduce the tutorial, because there's still a lot that needs work.

Solomon's/SoF are always no more than mediocre, mostly just bad.

So, not a bad month at all but nothing good or interesting to explore or anything. Ariane's quest could have some new lore.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

If a JMod was getting 350k xp/hr solo, I'm guessing players will be able to get at least 400k /hr solo, and I'm guessing 5 man dg xp rates will be 500k + (even though solo got the biggest buff, they said group dg would still be best.)

As for the combat beta, xp rates need fixing. I was getting over 200k pure slayer xp/hr on a greaters task in maxed range the other day (they're weak to bolts in EoC). But the actual combat and interfaces aren't too bad now. Momentum could do with a slight buff still IMO, and they need to differentiate between barrows/non nex GWD gear better, but otherwise it's not as bad as I thought it was.

Asmodean <3

Please for love of all that is dungeoneering let the Make-X update WORK THERE. If not then dungeoneering will be two reworks behind. I don't care if it's slower or defaults to 1 for most items.. It just looks ugly!!

Tears of guthix update that allows for more xp is very nice, I would love to have a slight boost to my lowest skills, and make it feel less like a waste of time than it is now. Hopefully rework updates the timer/reset thing..

Solo dg xp is nice. It will maybe get more people interested. I have a lot of friends who hate dg because they can't find teams (they are lower lvl) so they can't catch up to me and do good floors

Combat beta tutorial could be awesome :)

Quest reworks really really always please me. The new versions pay good homage to the older quests, as well as expanding and fitting into the stories of runescape. I know many people don't like the signature heroes but... part of that is because we haven't had much real lore about them until now. Also, I love how it brings high-class reworks to old areas and brings those places up to snuff!

I like the idea of SoF rewards for redoing minigames/D&Ds. Seems like a nice thing to add.. (now just remove buyable spins already, and possibly move the goblin to real game location...)

Also, solomon stuff never bothers me <3 I hope we can mix-and-match parts of the hero packs together.

Guess if you only wear comp cape for looks you can have it permanently now without losing it every update with the Dragon Keepsake Box, this should've been available for free. Time for people to dress up exactly how they want in PVM/E.

Things gets easier over time in games, thats just how it is. Hope this Make-X remake lets us actually use the old methods i so miss, but i digress... it will probably just make other things yet again x-able...

This was said to be out last month but it must have been pushed. Anyways, last BTS said that you had to have the requirements to equip the item. You won't be able to keep it visible till you re-earn the comp-cape again. HOWEVER it does mean if for "some" reason you need to remove the cape, such as for dungeoneering or any other non-PVP minigame then you can keep proudly displaying the cape, which is epic :)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

If a JMod was getting 350k xp/hr solo, I'm guessing players will be able to get at least 400k /hr solo, and I'm guessing 5 man dg xp rates will be 500k + (even though solo got the biggest buff, they said group dg would still be best.)

5man DG is already 500-600k/hr as it is though. If they plan to buff 5man dg as well, it's going to be absolutely insane.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

I'd much rather they design entirely new questlines for the Signature Heroes instead of throwing them into a rework of an old quest. If Owen's quest ends up being a remake of Knight's Sword/Black Knight Fortress, well, lol.

ToG update looks good, at least that isn't a rework of a quest.

Was hoping for PoP this month, but guess not, will be looking forward to December then.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

5man DG is already 500-600k/hr as it is though. If they plan to buff 5man dg as well, it's going to be absolutely insane.

Leeching maybe...including the time spent on C1s (unless you C2 - not likely as you need cosmics so gf arrows - or dg challenge your C1s) plus 1 or 2 deaths a floor even if you're not sui'ing, is the average really that high?

Asmodean <3

Leeching maybe...including the time spent on C1s (unless you C2 - not likely as you need cosmics so gf arrows - or dg challenge your C1s) plus 1 or 2 deaths a floor even if you're not sui'ing, is the average really that high?

It's fairly easy to survive on a few salves per floor, if you know how to use prayer properly and know the luring tactics. As for c1s, I did mine large (8-11min floors, for 70-90k xp). Yes, the average is still really high. This is of course assuming an above average team and not your average w114 team.

7rwjf.png
Leik.png

I feel like the DG update is a step backwards in terms of the battle against bots. Many DG bots are solo bots which get horrific xp/hr rates.

Also I'm a little upset they don't update us with the details on bot watch. Those are my interest in this game at this point.

w4M8t.png

I love the dungeoneering update. Personally, I cannot dungeon with groups--I face interruptions all the time which would slow the team down way too much. And leeching is out of the question; I'm not paying someone to train a skill I actually enjoy solo.

• Like 1

ozXHe7P.png

Two words: me gusta.

None of it is especially game changing or anything but I have a feeling that (Except for the SoF and SGS) updates I'll be actually utiizing and going back to those updates more than once, and that's my bar for a good update.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Dungeoneering XP Increases (Free Players & Members)

As mentioned earlier in the year, we’ve been carefully looking at the XP rates for small Dungeoneering groups, and were ready to make some changes. We’re still committed to giving the biggest rewards to groups of five players, but we’ve listened to your feedback and run countless dungeons ourselves to come up with a system that’s fairer to all.

Groups that contain fewer than five dungeoneers will receive an XP boost, with solo group XP being doubled as a minimum. Solo XP at higher levels can now reach figures of 350k per hour - possibly even higher depending on the room-raiding qualities of the adventurer. While it’s still most rewarding to explore in a group of five, those of you going it alone or in small groups will find your dungeon-delving more worthwhile than ever!

Don’t forget that this means an increase to your Dungeoneering tokens too, meaning that ever-elusive chaotic or bonecrushing equipment will finally be in your grasp.

So happy :wub:

• Like 1

rohanlord.png

I've been solo'ing DG for the last two days. :wall: Guess I'll stop until they increase the xp rates. Glad to see they've finally addressed it. After all, DG has only been out for, what, a little over 2 years?

Looks like a great month coming up. Can't wait. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I personally think moving DG away from being fundamentally a team-based skill is an unfortunate step in the wrong direction.

This is how I feel. DG was meant to be team-based, for better or worse. To remove that part kills the integrity of the skill.

I personally think moving DG away from being fundamentally a team-based skill is an unfortunate step in the wrong direction.

This is how I feel. DG was meant to be team-based, for better or worse. To remove that part kills the integrity of the skill.

And leeching doesn't..? (This isn't necessarily aimed at anyone.)

• Like 5

ozXHe7P.png

I don't see why. The biggest complaints people have about it (arguments about whether or not it's a skill aside) are the difficulty in finding people to team with and the low solo xp rates. The best xp/hr will still be in teams of 5, they're just making it a bit easier for the rest of us.

• Like 2

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...