Behind the Scenes - November

Leik

-snip-

That^

That might have more to do with how high 5:5 standards are these days and how few people are really willing to teach others.

To that I blame ridiculously insular communities for fostering and encouraging that. But really you'd find most high level players are willing to be patient if you're learning. DG is the sort of skill where you either love it or hate it, and most people who love it tend to keep playing past 120/200m because of the team dynamic.

hzvjpwS.gif

I would personally like to see dgsweeper style map implemented by jagex. It should automatically update, and update key doors automatically so that we don't need software to track this. This would drastically increase regular players ability (though it might detract from people who say this should be a skill)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I would personally like to see dgsweeper style map implemented by jagex. It should automatically update, and update key doors automatically so that we don't need software to track this. This would drastically increase regular players ability (though it might detract from people who say this should be a skill)

They will say "Our engine does not currently support this feature. We will send this to our engine team for further consideration." They should just borrow Stev for a week.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

They will say "Our engine does not currently support this feature. We will send this to our engine team for further consideration." They should just borrow Stev for a week.

Or just hire him outright. He deserves it for all the work he basically did for them since DGSweeper's release. It's a feature that should have never been left from game.

• Like 9

hzvjpwS.gif

:c My "like" quota runs out way too early....</offtopic>

Yes, I agree. But they have the power to do so much more than just what Stev has done on dgsweeper because they ahve access to so much more. For example not needing to load the map constantly, and having it auto change as new doors are opened and have it auto place keys

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png

Yes, I agree. But they have the power to do so much more than just what Stev has done on dgsweeper because they ahve access to so much more. For example not needing to load the map constantly, and having it auto change as new doors are opened and have it auto place keys

Having 'access' to the resources doesn't necessarily mean they would be able to implement it in-game. More than that, the rate at which a map would need to open to keep up with 5 different people running paths would be extremely demanding. Imagine a DGsweeper client integrated with the game applet, running and refreshing the map every 10 seconds.

So basically, imagine the old lag of w117 before it started splitting up to "3BO" worlds and such and multiply it by whatever factor you wish. It wouldn't be pretty. I would rather see it remain a separate, efficient client on its own.

hzvjpwS.gif

I think you're underestimating the social aspect of the skill. Even if you're getting 350k xp/hr solo, it's going to be very easy to get burnt out solo'ing. It will feel more like grinding. In other words, without a team to keep you company and interact with, DG becomes a lot less fun. Teams will still exist because a) they're better xp/hr and b) they're more fun.

77yLQy8.png

I think you're underestimating the social aspect of the skill. Even if you're getting 350k xp/hr solo, it's going to be very easy to get burnt out solo'ing. It will feel more like grinding. In other words, without a team to keep you company and interact with, DG becomes a lot less fun. Teams will still exist because a) they're better xp/hr and b) they're more fun.

You're talking about Runescape here. If you don't enjoy grinding and solo skilling you would have quit this game the moment one of your skills reached level 30.

• Like 6
22031_s.gif

You're talking about Runescape here. If you don't enjoy grinding and solo skilling you would have quit this game the moment one of your skills reached level 30.

It's true that I do like grinding and solo skilling, but training with a team of nice people is (in my eyes) even more fun! ^_^

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

It's true that I do like grinding and solo skilling, but training with a team of nice people is (in my eyes) even more fun! ^_^

It...reaallllyyy...depends on the people you're with. Trust me.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

Oh wow, I had started doubting they would ever beef up the solo xp. Comp cape here I come.

It's a pity because I love dging with teams but the elite community seems pretty douchebaggy and I don't feel like getting involved with them. One of the first things written on their forum is like, 'We're gonna yell and swear at you a lot.' Uh okay, am I suppose to want to join you after you say that? I would probably be fairly good given time to learn, or atleast I would try to as much as possible, but if it's in unpleasant company I'm not interested.

• Like 1

2480+ total

I hope 5x tears of guthix is better than it sounds like, because my recolection is that at around 70 the mini game stops being worth the time of day. I wouldn't mind it being relevant again, so I want to see where this goes.

I also like any quest that will expand upon the story of the Wizard Tower. I've been waiting for that story line for a very long time.

Lastly the new make x could be interesting. Of all the items on that list, this is the update I stand to get the most out of, so this one interests me the most.

The other stuff is interesting I suppose, but of little relevance to me. It is nice to know however that should I ever go insane and decide I like dungeoneering again, that I will be doing more than the training equivalent of banging my head on a wall. Kind of upset that it has taken...two years? to get around to this though. I actually did used to dungeoneer, and I really could have used something like this (to date I have completed maybe ten 5 man dungeons, for the same reason I have never been tempted to play WoW).

Solomans store has caught my eye as well. There is an outfit that could use that treatment, but quite frankly I'm hardly willing to spend a penny on it. I have another option that costs nothing.

It's only fun if you have friends. I have no IRL friends that play this game, and online friendships have never been my thing. Without friends, ie with PuGs, it's hell. There's a reason DG is my lowest skill.

The way I see it is, you've got 3 primary options for DG:

1. Solo w/ abysmal XP rates

2. Use a Jagex-themed world for better XP rates, but with strangers who most likely suck

3. Join a clan or DG with friends for best XP

After the update, your options will be:

1. Solo for good XP rates

2. Join a clan or DG with friends for better XP

I don't see why this update can upset anyone. Last time I checked, most people hated using the Jagex worlds.

77yLQy8.png

I don't see why this update can upset anyone. Last time I checked, most people hated using the Jagex worlds.

It's been explained thoroughly why people upset. It widens the social gap of dungeoneering rather han close it, among other things.

hzvjpwS.gif

It's been explained thoroughly why people upset. It widens the social gap of dungeoneering rather han close it, among other things.

Forcing people to be social in order to get above abysmal xp rates is stupid. As long as the xp rates of 5 man teams remains the best xp per hour, people will still team up with friends if they are so inclined.

I'm excited, largely about solo DG xp. Not because I find it difficult to find teams or whatnot, but because Runescape has always been my place to go solo. My stats are dependent on nothing and no one other than myself, and if I want to turn chat off and interact with nobody, I can do that. Generally I spend my time in a wonderful friends & clan chat, but I don't have to. If I want a high-teamwork gaming experience, I go play LoL. But for me, Runescape has never been the place for that.

I have no problem with others getting better xp rates than I do if they choose to do it in a group, for all the reasons that have been mentioned - I think it's a cool opportunity, even if I don't use it myself. I just want to be able to play Runescape solo, like I have from the beginning, and still be able to get half-decent XP rates. *shrug*

• Like 1

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

There's a big difference between "enjoying" grinding and merely tolerating it. I think most players belong to the latter category. It's called "grinding" for a reason, after all :P

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

Having 'access' to the resources doesn't necessarily mean they would be able to implement it in-game. More than that, the rate at which a map would need to open to keep up with 5 different people running paths would be extremely demanding. Imagine a DGsweeper client integrated with the game applet, running and refreshing the map every 10 seconds.

So basically, imagine the old lag of w117 before it started splitting up to "3BO" worlds and such and multiply it by whatever factor you wish. It wouldn't be pretty. I would rather see it remain a separate, efficient client on its own.

Disagree. I think it would be far simpler than what DGSweeper has to do via copying the map. The *best* method would be to export the data through some form so that another external app could use it.. fat chance of them doing that sort of mod-enabling.

We already have things like the minimap, I fail to see why they can't just replace the minimap with a little dg map during dg. It just has to show all the floors at minimum and keep updated consistently. This should take little resources as it just has to update when a floor opens. It could also beneficially show keys on the question marks but this isn't really a requirement. I would just like it.

It should be very easy to code that into runescape, whether they WANT to or not is a different question. What DGSweeper has to do is monitor the screen and copy-pasta whenever it notices the map. You have to remember to update it, and the server issue of updating maps for other people is much more difficult, though doable. Jagex doing it makes it incredibly easier. I don't think it would cause a huge amount of lag if it was coded correctly, as we already have to load whenever a new floor is opened anyways. It wouldn't have to function the same way dgsweeper does.. It has more direct and simple access to the floor data.

Serena_Sedai.png

What are the implications of widening the social gap in a nutshell?

Defeats the reason to venture into teams and learn, because of the effort involved. Even if the effort was justified by the returns, we have two years of proof that the general population does not want to face that effort. Without the team aspect, 5:5ing will die out over time, essentially lowering the exp floor to whatever the solo rates are on average with teams due to a lack of learning. Lower exp rates across the board over time become a larger deterrent for the skill than any learning or community issues will ever do. Overall there is more harm to the skill than good here. It's completely different from a normal rework when looking at, say, Runecrafting. That had more positives than negatives and was overall healthy for the skill.

Forcing people to be social in order to get above abysmal xp rates is stupid. As long as the xp rates of 5 man teams remains the best xp per hour, people will still team up with friends if they are so inclined.

Solo med runs were already 100k/hr. If anything it would have made more sense to lessen the upper bound (5:5) a bit and only slightly buff the lower bound (solos). This would have been a more balanced choice without utterly destroying 5:5'ing over time by doubling its base exp to where the difference between 5:5ing and soloing is only a hundred thousand or two. No one is saying solo'ing didn't need some sort of attention -- just that they went too far in the opposite direction...which is typical jagex.

hzvjpwS.gif

What are the implications of widening the social gap in a nutshell?

Defeats the reason to venture into teams and learn, because of the effort involved. Even if the effort was justified by the returns, we have two years of proof that the general population does not want to face that effort. Without the team aspect, 5:5ing will die out over time, essentially lowering the exp floor to whatever the solo rates are on average with teams due to a lack of learning. Lower exp rates across the board over time become a larger deterrent for the skill than any learning or community issues will ever do. Overall there is more harm to the skill than good here. It's completely different from a normal rework when looking at, say, Runecrafting. That had more positives than negatives and was overall healthy for the skill.

I agree that most of the RS population does not wish to put in the effort into learning "elite" 5:5s. However, if what you're saying is true-- that as a result of that disinterest, elite 5:5s will die out-- then elite 5:5s would already be dead by now. Which is why I don't see this update as a threat to elite 5:5s. Not to mention the fact that the efficiency junkies are becoming more and more common these days, and that demographic alone will keep elite 5:5s from dying.

77yLQy8.png

In response to the dung. update

A) It woudl be different if you could actually count on other members of the community being helpfull isntead of pricks

B) Why are people assuming team exp is going to go up? Only solo exp should be going up.

C) Runescape has NEVER had team based skills so forcing one on people and expecting it to be welcomed was just silly, mainly b/c of point A