Behind the Scenes: Special Edition

Leik

As someone who doesn't, and never will play WoW, can you explain how weapon proficiencies work in it?

Its been a while for me, but its generally how accurate you hit with the weapon. Honestly I could see Jagex using their basic concepts, but in the end it would be its own entity with its own unique form and fuction.

I mean I could go on... Small net, big net, harpoon, cage, barehanded fishing skilling efficiencies.

In order for jagex to do this kind of concept some justice I feel they might need to look into more than just a novelty. I mean something bigger than just naming an item "Urza285's dragon pickaxe." I really do feel they could get people to train more diversely. Imagine being required to have say 80 fishing for a new product. A cage proficiency of 7 or lower would make fishing this new product not worth obtaining to most. Sure at 40 fishing you could do lobsters, but didn't want to in favor of catching bass. Because of this now you can't fish this new product because, in essence, you don't know how to handle using a cage well. I suppose item proficiency could kind of be like a balancing act between how much "knowledge" you have in fishing and how efficient you are with a certain tool. So, to create a solid concept for the idea, jagex could make fishing unlock new items like usual and increase rates of production. Also, as a bonus, having a proficiency in an item's use could even further this.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think I am fairly pleased with the conclusion of the tzhaar storyline. I am hoping it brings another story line in or splices into another. I got some ideas where jagex could go with this one...

Ya weren't there two other races that the elder gods made to build the world? The tzhaar were made to build the land and another for the water and i'd guess one last one for the sky.

I don't think so. Oddly though my conceptualization of runescape and the elder gods seems to be a twist between WoW's use of primal elements and the typical creationist lore of builder gods such as in Tolkiens work. I would fancy to think that the tzhaar, much like the dwarves from tolkiens lotr, which were created by a primal entity, to help form the mountains. This is proven true from our latest quest with the tzhaar. Since we cannot see into the whole of the tzhaar city and are a part of outside world maybe we are dealing with a conflict between the elder gods worldforming creations. Maybe the working forces, created by the elder gods, of the waterways are trying to plow though the core of the volcano heating the tzhaar city. Maybe these being s are a bit heady and aggressive like the flowing, gushing watery counterparts. With that said maybe later we'll see the expansion of lore and meaning behind the lrc. Maybe they too have a city and are one of the lesser world forming entities which, possibly, were created by a different elder god.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

As someone who doesn't, and never will play WoW, can you explain how weapon proficiencies work in it?

Its been a while for me, but its generally how accurate you hit with the weapon. Honestly I could see Jagex using their basic concepts, but in the end it would be its own entity with its own unique form and fuction.

I mean I could go on... Small net, big net, harpoon, cage, barehanded fishing skilling efficiencies.

In order for jagex to do this kind of concept some justice I feel they might need to look into more than just a novelty. I mean something bigger than just naming an item "Urza285's dragon pickaxe." I really do feel they could get people to train more diversely. Imagine being required to have say 80 fishing for a new product. A cage proficiency of 7 or lower would make fishing this new product not worth obtaining to most. Sure at 40 fishing you could do lobsters, but didn't want to in favor of catching bass. Because of this now you can't fish this new product because, in essence, you don't know how to handle using a cage well. I suppose item proficiency could kind of be like a balancing act between how much "knowledge" you have in fishing and how efficient you are with a certain tool. So, to create a solid concept for the idea, jagex could make fishing unlock new items like usual and increase rates of production. Also, as a bonus, having a proficiency in an item's use could even further this.

I'd just like to point out that blizzard removed that system because it was shitty.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Their game... Their say. It all depends on how you conceptualize and integrate it, really. It would give a bit more depth to skilling.

• Like 1

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Their game... Their say. It all depends on how you conceptualize and integrate it, really. It would give a bit more depth to skilling.

I don't know ... I wouldn't like to be forced to go back and repeat low levelled tasks just for the sake of being able to access something at a much higher level. It's like telling players to go fish sardines/herring for 20 hours to get "fishing rod mastery" before they can catch rocktail. And that would just plain suck.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Just totally did a major wrong post here. My internet is screwing with me. It seems like RuneShark will be doing a livestream over the special BTS later today for anyone who cares.

I am hoping they release more information about PoP soon.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Player-Owned Ports (very high level)

OMG eastern lands, and pirates. Want.

I was surprised they put a mention of eastern lands in the BTS...unless they suddenly changed their minds (which I very much doubt), we won't be seeing any bit of the eastern continent, it's just the lore explanation where the sailors in your POP get their materials from...

I was surprised they put a mention of eastern lands in the BTS...unless they suddenly changed their minds (which I very much doubt), we won't be seeing any bit of the eastern continent, it's just the lore explanation where the sailors in your POP get their materials from...

...Right, so why would that not warrant mentioning?

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

I guess he means in terms of mentioning the Eastern Lands at all, players are going to inevitably read too much into it and expect an actual new landmass.

I'd bet my life savings on there being at least one thread on the RSOF complaining that Jagex lied to them about the Eastern Lands when the real problem is they don't know how to read.

Sylpheed.png

I guess he means in terms of mentioning the Eastern Lands at all, players are going to inevitably read too much into it and expect an actual new landmass.

I'd bet my life savings on there being at least one thread on the RSOF complaining that Jagex lied to them about the Eastern Lands when the real problem is they don't know how to read.

I'm really not sure what you're on about. The Eastern Lands most certainly originally were supposed to be a new landmass. Seeing as how this is the first mention of them in quite a while, it sounds like they've been relegated to be conveniently "tied off" as the backstory for ports, in which case anyone who remembers the original announcement does have cause to be disappointed.

2dgucz6.png

I'm really not sure what you're on about. The Eastern Lands most certainly originally were supposed to be a new landmass. Seeing as how this is the first mention of them in quite a while, it sounds like they've been relegated to be conveniently "tied off" as the backstory for ports, in which case anyone who remembers the original announcement does have cause to be disappointed.

I guess I'm the only one who watched the live streams then.

They stated in one of them that the actual Eastern Lands are still a project that they want to do in the future but they want to finish fleshing out the main game first.

PoP's making reference to the eastern lands is supposed to be a form of solid backstory as a means to introduce the fact that they do exist and we will visit them eventually.

Sylpheed.png

The fact they have mentioned eastern lands in the PoP's lore is the first real step to eastern lands becoming a place our characters can eventually visit.

Up until now the only mention to my knowledge of eastern lands was a ghostly sailor or some similar NPC in Port Phas. Jagex linking such a massive project like Player owned ports and the fabled eastern lands, including us bringing back weapons and armour as loot from the eastern lands, is very clear evidence that eventually the eastern landmass will be on our world map to explore.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Sorry... I didn't watch the livestreams, but just from the newspost and what you said I assumed the worst - that this was a way to write them off, so to speak, to get them off JaGEx's "to-do" list while still making them (the Eastern Lands) seem significant (which is not to say that POP won't be significant, but that an entire newly-themed landmass would be far moreso). It's hard not to be pessimistic with all of the unfulfilled (I'm reluctant to say failed) promises of future content I've heard about over the various years.

2dgucz6.png

Considering that the eastern lands will make an appearance in the games actual in game lore its got a fairly good shot at coming into the game. The wort case is that the players make gross assumptions on what the eastern lands are like. This will most likely be based on general information received from ports that isn't thoroughly explained or delved into.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The only contacts for the eastern lands so far are the guy on the docks (who isn't a ghost), the guy who runs the loyalty shop, and the assassin who thinks swords make great bows.

you could also try talking to your eastern land hairstyles

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

Quite a bit of Eastern Land material is already in-game, actually. Just that most of it is accessed through that kind of content.

Promotional Items : Ornate Katana, Golden Katana

Loyalty Store : Eastern costumes

SOF : Auspicious Katana

SGS : Quick-fire Crossbow, Animal outfits, probably some of the other weapon reskins

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Quite a bit of Eastern Land material is already in-game, actually. Just that most of it is accessed through that kind of content.

Promotional Items : Ornate Katana, Golden Katana

Loyalty Store : Eastern costumes

SOF : Auspicious Katana

SGS : Quick-fire Crossbow, Animal outfits, probably some of the other weapon reskins

Don't forget Ak-Haranu (or whatever his name is)-- the bolt rack salesman on the Port Phasmatys docks. He was the first reference to the upcoming eastern lands back in the day.

77yLQy8.png

I wish they had been clearer on which of these will available to everyone and which will be members only (although, some are pretty obvious). Will non-mems be able to level up gear? Have access to either of the new skills? Do the God Statues D&D? "All" doesn't tell us much. And they had been so careful about being clear on this kind of thing ever since the Veteran's Cape debacle.

I also wish they'd been a lot more specific.... but the general rule of thumb seems to be, if you have to ask, then it's members only. It is entirely possible that they aren't even sure yet what content will be F2P, and what will not (with the exception of the obvious).

o4qq.png

My Pure F2P Blog: CLICK ME

6th Maintainer of the Pure F2P Highscores / The Top 250 F2P Skill Total Lists : May 16th, 2012 - March 30th, 2014.

I realized some issues maybe even big issues on these new updates that are coming. Some of the updates are BIG updates like the 2 skills. The thing what i fear is that the game is gona dramatically get increased lagness.

Since the EoC came, my RS playing experience has gone very unpleasant, it got very laggy :wall: ... almost every 10 minutes it freezes and wont try to reconnect to the server, instead I have to go to disconnect or reload the page :( Which is very annoying If I'm in a dangerous zone like wilderness.

So what I fear mostly now is that the skills will definitely wring lot weight to the game running system and it will make my playing even more painful.. And yes I know that I maybe should update my connection to more "modern" one but in the end will it help? Just more massive updates like the EoC and skills will come and in the end I lose so after all I'm not that much interested in the skills.. unless JaGex deletes some things to make the system run more gracefully or finds other ways to run the system for people like me who doesn't have the most modern internet modems. Still I know these aren't 100% sure updates but still I'm being very careful on these lagines issues... :ph34r:

-Hokuspokus-

hokuspokus.png

Do not lose heart, fight for even the smallest hope. Do not give quarter to the forces of evil. Pursuit kindness and embrace love.