Barrows [EoC]

Legionwizard

2yxlr1x.png

From left to right: Ahrim, Dharok, Guthan, Karil, Torag and Verac (Akrisae not in picture)

Introduction

This guide is aimed to people familiar with the Barrows minigame, its layout and how to get there. If you have any questions about these topics, any guide on a Runescape fansite should do. However, the skill requirements are modest, and do not require the possession of high herb/prayer levels. The guide itself merely focuses on recommended setups, tips and tricks that may prove useful in other situations as well.

NPC weaknesses

Dharok: fire spells

Verac: earth spells

Torag: water spells

Guthan: air spells

Karil: stab

Ahrim: arrows

Akrisae: bolts

Recommended Skill Requirements

Melee: 80+ attack, strength, defence

Magic: 75+

Range: 80+

Gear Requirements

• Melee with good range defense
  • Dual wield stab weapons OR 2h stab weapon
  • Magic gear
  • Magic staff or wand + accuracy book (e.g. Ankh)
  • Runes
  • Range gear
  • Range weapons: one bolts, one arrows type
  • Important: Drakan's amulet (banking + free lp restore by accessing a bank)
  • Ring of Wealth (improved chest rewards)

Example (ABS provides unlimited air runes):

2yywmy9.png

10cjfcz.png

Note on abilities

Mashing abilities until your foe is dead counts as one strategy, and for most low level monsters, this might just be the thing to do. But at Barrows, a great deal of importance lies in which abilities you use, when and how you use them. First of all, do not underestimate auto-attacks, especially for magic they can add nice damage and with some practice you can sync your abilities to add in between successive auto-attacks. As soon the attack animation starts for an ability, press the hotkey for whatever ability you want to use. What happens is that both the auto attack as well the ability damage are registered. An example is given in the following picture:

14uzxcj.png

First hit is a leftover from Combust, the next two are an auto-attack and Wrack, synced to the auto-attack.

The set used for the method discussed involves:

Magic

• Wrack: the bread and butter ability, this ability deals 125% of the active spell damage, and 157% if the target is stunned;
  • Impact: stuns target for 3 seconds, and binds for 20 seconds;
  • Dragon Breath: deals 188% of active spell damage, despite its common use in multiple target areas, its damage multiplier is a motivation to use it in single way combat as well (due to inaccuracy issues, its best not to use this ability in the Barrows minigame);
  • Combust: while a DoT spell, it is an accurate ability that delivers a nice chunk of damage, spread over 6 seconds and equaling 100-125% active spell damage (100% minimum);
  • Asphyxiate: launches 4 attacks in 6 seconds, each hit possible of dealing up to dealing 250% active spell damage.

Ranged

• Piercing Shot: deals 125% of the active spell damage, and 157% if the target is stunned;
  • Binding Shot: stuns target for 3 seconds, and binds for 20 seconds;
  • Fragmentation Shot: fragments over the target and causes them to take damage equal to 100-188% weapon damage over 6 seconds;
  • Rapid Fire: deals damage equal to 250% of 6 seconds of auto-attack damage to their target, channeled;
  • Bombardment: deals 200% weapon damage to all adjacent targets.

Melee

• Slice: slice your target for up to 125% weapon damage and 10% chance increase of scoring a critical hit;
  • Kick: stuns for 3 seconds;
  • Sever: deals up to 188% weapon damage and reduce any damage your opponent deals by 10% for 10 seconds;
  • Havoc: instantly attacks with both weapons for 125% of both of the weapons' damage;
  • Slaughter: causes the target to bleed for up to 250% weapon damage over 10 seconds, and triple damage if the target moves location;
  • Destroy: deals damage to a target equal to 219% weapon damage over 6 seconds and stuns the target for that duration;
  • Assault: deal damage to target equal to 219% of 6 seconds of auto-attack damage, channeled.

In the next section, we go into the details of the action bar and how the spells in a combined order can swiftly take down the Barrows brothers.

Action bar setup

Before going to the actual bar setup, let me point out that you can switch bars using a key combination. If you right-click the number of your action bar (1-5), you can select Customise Modifier Key and choose between Shift, Alt and Ctrl. For example purposes, we will assume the key modifier is Alt. To switch to the third action bar, one would type: Alt-3.

Magic

2n07es9.png

Magic will be used to defeat all melee brothers. Each brother is weak to a different elemental spell, and it is heavily recommended to bring the runes for each elemental spell. The sequence goes as follows:

2exss2q.png

The explanation for this rotation is straightforward: you start off with a stun called Impact, proceed to sidestep and blast a damage spell called Wrack, dealing extra damage for a successful stun (with a considerable magic level, magic gear, and using the weakness this should not fail).

If the stun/bind fails, trap the melee brother and wait for cool-down (15 seconds). Players conserving adrenaline in between runs may choose to use 1-2 auto-attack/Wrack combo's, launch Asphyxiate, and then recast Impact.

Once bound, you will launch a series of basic abilities synced to auto-attacks to maximize damage output. Whenever a circle on the graph above has "auto" near it, it means you wait for the auto attack animation to occur and then launch the ability shortly after (anticipate upon the attack allows one to cast it in perfect synchronization). You launch the Wrack ability, followed by the DoT effect called Combust and launch two more Wrack abilities, summing up your adrenaline over 50%. Players with a good connection and fast response time can cast an extra Wrack ability. This can be helped further by re-clicking attack on your target short after clicking for the sidestep movement (resulting in the typical shuffle-cast animation).

Now Asphyxiate is unleashed, often killing the melee brother. This powerful ability guarantees an easy 2-4k damage or more when hitting criticals (more probable when using a seers or seers(i) ring). When Asphyxiate wears off, the stun will have ended from Impact. Confident people will choose to finish off using Wrack and Dragon Breath, or if the adrenaline permits it, Wild Magic. If the brother is not near death at all, stun again using Impact and repeat.

The last slots give quick access to elemental spells and a range weapon. The last ability is called Regenerate and can be used in between kills to restore health using up whatever adrenaline is left. The use of Anticipation will become apparent later on. Around 2k lp can be restored using a full adrenaline bar.

Veterans will have noticed that ice spells are no longer used for taking down the melee brothers, despite their ability to bind the opponent for 5-10 seconds. After testing, damage output was much higher using the appropriate elemental spell than it was using ice spells. Furthermore, the Impact and Asphyxiate abilities do a splendid job at maintaining distance to avoid damage. For faster kills, go with elemental spells.

Range

rap655.png

The action bar for ranging is similar to the one for maging. A stun called Binding Shot is provided in the first slot, then a DoT effect (Fragmentation Shot) followed by an increased damage shot (Piercing Shot). The threshold ability Rapid Fire occupies the fourth slot, followed by a second threshold ability, Bombardment, commonly used to KO an opponent.

Similar to the magic action bar, quick access to the Anticipation ability and a mage weapon is provided.

The range bar is included when fighting two brothers: Ahrim and Akrisae. While the same principle as for the melee brothers hold for Ahrim, a lot less stress is put onto binding. With range armor, Ahrim will rarely, if ever, hit you with his spells. Therefore, focus on damage spells using a bow type. When around 50% lp, unleash Rapid Fire and finish off using basic abilities and Bombardment. Keep in mind it is possible to sync abilities to range shots as well, increasing your damage output.

For Akrisae however, the story is different. Akrisae prays against whatever combat style you are using. If you switch combat style, Akrisae will change his protection prayer accordingly after being inflicted over 1500 damage. As such, two styles must be used, the recommended styles being range and mage, considering Akrisae is a mage. In order to deal with Akrisae swiftly, a range weapon using bolts is highly recommended (black salamander can be used, but keep in mind the adjacency requirement for Akrisae).

[spoiler=WARNING: outdated part]

The good news is that Akrisae can be safespotted. Despite dealing magic damage, Akrisae must be withing melee range to hurt the player. Run directly to the grave coming from Verac and click the tomb, then trap him behind one of the rocks present near his tomb. The positions of the rocks are given in the picture below, independent of his spawn location, running directly behind the rock in the back (yellow path) will always trap Akrisae.

mc6ez5.png

Two possibilities.

9bf4t2.png

Successful trap, proceed to kill.

Wear magic armor and initiate combat with magic. It is advised to use auto-attack combinations for two reasons. Firstly, as discussed before, more damage per second can be dealt. Secondly, with practice, perfect synchronization will allow players to perform both auto-attack and ability damage on Akrisae, even when the auto-attack would have been enough to force Akrisae to change prayers. When Akrisae switches, press the hotkey to swap to your ranged weapon and press Alt-#, with # the number where your ranged action bar is located. Ideally, in each round, either Asphyxiate or Bombardement is used, as it can easily make Akrisae switch prayers without the player losing valuable damage output. Continue this cycle by swapping weapons whenever Akrisae prays against your current style followed by switching to the action bar for your alternative combat style. The rotation is:

i1fz20.png

with B short for basic ability and T for threshold ability, E stands for whatever hotkey allows you to swap weapon. The remaining adrenaline after the fight can be used to recuperate life points if Akrisae was able to inflict considerable damage at the start (often around 1500 damage). One way to improve the scheme would be to start each cycle with auto-attack/basic abilities combo's until just below the 1500 damage border, and then to unleash the threshold ability. This way, the player must switch less often to kill Akrisae.

Melee

jgtder.png

The only brother to use melee against is Karil. Quite frustratingly, he's also the brother to potentially deal the most damage. Therefore a scheme is required to try and minimize the damage as much as possible. Because the ideal scheme makes use of 3 threshold attacks, a large pool of adrenaline required. If one starts from 0 adrenaline, the best option of to make use of the Sever ability early on. This ability will limit the damage taken. For a short pause, Kick can be used to stun the target (keep in mind that once a stun ability has been used, all stun abilities are on cooldown). The abilities Slice and Havoc will help build adrenaline.

The real meat lies in the two threshold abilities, Slaughter and Destroy. Slaughter applies a DoT effect with tripled damage if you target moves (just once, it must not be continuously moving). When activating, walk under your opponent as soon as you see your character start the animation. The ability Destroy has great damage output, and on top of that, Karil will not be able to hurt you while it is in effect. The last threshold ability, Assault, is basically the same as Destroy, but without the handy stun effect. The goal is to use the Slaughter and Destroy abilities. If Karil is near death after these two, use Havoc to finish, otherwise launch Assault first, then Havoc.

Another method makes use of the powerful base attack values of a 2hander (e.g. Zamorakian Spear). The action bar:

r85ycn.png

The routine consists of stunning Karil with Backhand, attack with the 125% damage modifier of Punish. Adrenaline is then built up using Slice synced auto-attacks, combined with Sever after the first Slice attack to negate 10% damage. Once 50% adrenaline has been reached, employ Assault. If Karil is not down by this time, continue with Fury or more synced auto-attacks with Slice.

Experienced Barrows players will have conserved adrenaline from previous runs and get to use the threshold abilities much sooner. How to do so, will be explained in the next section.

The Barrows Run

The actual Barrows run requires you to defeat 6 brothers, and finish off the last in the tunnels. Like pre-EoC, there is a rotation scheme that is inherent to the proposed method. Because Karil and Akrisae deal the most damage, they are placed early with Verac/Dharok/... in between to heal up. The proposed scheme with expected adrenaline values after dealing with a brother is:

Akrisae (75-100%) -> Verac (85-100%) -> Dharok (85-100%) -> Guthan (85-100%) -> Karil (55-70%) -> Torag (85-100%) -> Ahrim (75-100%)

Akrisae and Karil will deal the most damage to your life points, which can be regained using the Regenerate ability. If you're practising, it is possible Verac and Dharok can inflict above average damage. For this reason, Ahrim is scheduled last, for he will hardly damage the player, and the obtained adrenaline can be used for a last healing before heading in the tunnels. Experienced players that can deal with the melee brothers swiftly may run directly from one brother to another in order to preserve adrenaline and switch to threshold abilities earlier on in the fight. To counter drain, read the next subsection.

Adrenaline maintenance

Running from one tomb to another occupies a time span that is larger than 15 seconds, the exact time when your character leaves its combat stance and starts draining its adrenaline. Because of the desire to heal through adrenaline or have a stash available to launch multiple threshold abilities, one may wish to prolong the combat stance. An easy way to do so, makes use of the Freedom and Anticipation abilities, which require no target to activate. On average, when you are about to run uphill near the tomb of the next Barrows brother, you should activate it. This will add an additional 15 seconds to your timer.

Health maintenance

Excess adrenaline may be used to heal up before engaging combat with a next target. Simply activate the Regenerate ability and preserve leftover adrenaline with Freedom or Anticipate. This will stop Regenerate and halt adrenaline drain for 15 seconds.

The tunnels

Not much has changed concerning the tunnel dynamics. However, when having Akrisae as your tunnel, be aware of your environment. If in the proximity of a safespot, use it, otherwise leave Akrisae for a later encounter in a more controlled environment (the torches in the main room can be used to trap him easily). Immediately start the routine proposed in section Action bar setup:Range. Do not pay any attention to surrounding npc's. It is important to note that if the player decides to utilize ice barrage, this will make skeletons/crypt spiders/blood worms/... aggressive and you will be attacked by multiple foes. Due to the limited sight in the paths in between rooms, a player may wish to disengage combat to a spawned barrow brother and continue forward to the main room.

Considerations

• Players not well versed in combating Akrisae may cut out the brother from the routine. They must however realize that the brother may be encountered navigating the tunnels, the combination of having Karil as your tunnel and not killing Akrisae may be dangerous due to the combat triangle. Ignore Akrisae and trap him in the main room before he can inflict much damage.
  • No ultimate abilities are used in the proposed method, partly because there is not enough time to build up the required adrenaline, or because threshold abilities are more useful. Often an ultimate ability will finish off a brother, and leave the player with no adrenaline left for healing using Regenerate. If an ultimate ability if used, it is recommended to use Omnipower for magic. For ranged, use Incendiary Shot, this ability in particular comes in handy when Akrisae is resisting damage (adrenaline builds up) and may ko him for 4.5k damage.

Rewards

Lastly, a short note on the consensus that the Barrows community has reached on how killcount impacts the rewards you get:

• For maximum chance of a Barrows drop, kill all brothers, the creatures kill count has no effect;
  • Ring of Wealth improves the chance of obtaining a Barrows piece;
  • If you want to improve the loot when you do not get a Barrows drop (i.e. runes, racks, ...), kill creatures (5-12).

Acknowledgements

Extra thanks goes out to following people for offering advise on improving the guide:

• Sciferthesky
  • chenw
  • Ginger_Warrior

• Like 1

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

Karil seems a lot of effort for dual wielding chaotics

I use Z Spear, with 0 adrenaline, he is usually dead by the time I use my first threshold, namely assault:

Backhand -> Punish -> Slice -> Severe -> Slice -> Punish -> Assault -> dead karil.

I use Thesholds to time my brothers, if the brother isn't consistently either dead or very near death after I use my first threshold ability, then I think its too slow. I never get a chance to build that much adrenaline on each brother, they die long before that, or else I started with some adrenaline.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Karil seems a lot of effort for dual wielding chaotics

I use Z Spear, with 0 adrenaline, he is usually dead by the time I use my first threshold, namely assault:

Backhand -> Punish -> Slice -> Severe -> Slice -> Punish -> Assault -> dead karil.

I use Thesholds to time my brothers, if the brother isn't consistently either dead or very near death after I use my first threshold ability, then I think its too slow. I never get a chance to build that much adrenaline on each brother, they die long before that, or else I started with some adrenaline.

I've seen people use the Zamorakian Spear and I'll check it out too, I wouldn't be surprised if it is better. Most of the time, I have a pool of adrenaline and kill Karil using Sever -> Slaughter -> Destroy -> Slice -> Havoc. The useful part about Slaughter is it serves as a DoT effect (meaning you can immediately go to the next ability). As for the other brothers, if I'd start with 0 adrenaline, I'd leave with 50-15 = 35% adrenaline. Some times it's more than 50% because I didn't need Asphyxiate to kill them.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

Tried using this guide at Barrows today and honestly, it does work pretty effectively without using expensive equipment so long as you have access to high levelled elemental spells. Just a couple of points though:

• I'm doing all four melee brothers first before going to Karil then Ahrim. I've not done ROTM so Akrisae's not a consideration for me personally. In your guide you say go to Karil before Torag--why? Surely it makes more sense to build up adrenaline from Verac -> Dharok -> Guthan and then Torag straight after whilst still on the mage setup, than changing your class halfway through for Karil, and then back again for Torag.
  • On the order of mage abilities:

1. Check Sarco -> Impact -> sidestep. Completely agreed, vitally important with Dharok of course. I'm 99 Magic in Ganos/SoL and I've found Dragonbreath about as useful as a chocolate furnace. Considering the brothers will probably survive the duration of one Impact (hence the need to Asphyx after), even if it hits hard, you can't get away with missing all the time because of its awful accuracy. Better to just go with another Wrack and dish out what's almost always an extra ~1K damage.

2. If you Impact -> sidestep straight away, you'll get five auto-synced basic abilities away before the bind goes. Therefore, I've found that this works well and usually kills the melee brothers before they have a chance to hit*: [sarco] -> Impact -> [sidestep] -> Wrack -> Wrack -> Wrack -> Wrack -> Combust -> [bind from Impact goes] -> Asphyxiate -> Impact -> Sidestep (etc.).

3. If there's a delay in sidestepping, you'll only get four auto-synced abilities away, so for the last Wrack, instead of waiting for the auto attack to go with Combust, just go Wrack -> Combust -> Asphyxiate as quickly as you can. Asphyxiate should land (and therefore stun) before Impact's bind runs out.

* - The abilities were auto-synced as you described in this guide, except for Asphyxiate, which was done immediately after an auto-synced Combust attack.

Tried using this guide at Barrows today and honestly, it does work pretty effectively without using expensive equipment so long as you have access to high levelled elemental spells. Just a couple of points though:

• I'm doing all four melee brothers first before going to Karil then Ahrim. I've not done ROTM so Akrisae's not a consideration for me personally. In your guide you say go to Karil before Torag--why? Surely it makes more sense to build up adrenaline from Verac -> Dharok -> Guthan and then Torag straight after whilst still on the mage setup, than changing your class halfway through for Karil, and then back again for Torag.
  • On the order of mage abilities:

1. Check Sarco -> Impact -> sidestep. Completely agreed, vitally important with Dharok of course. I'm 99 Magic in Ganos/SoL and I've found Dragonbreath about as useful as a chocolate furnace. Considering the brothers will probably survive the duration of one Impact (hence the need to Asphyx after), even if it hits hard, you can't get away with missing all the time because of its awful accuracy. Better to just go with another Wrack and dish out what's almost always an extra ~1K damage.

2. If you Impact -> sidestep straight away, you'll get five auto-synced basic abilities away before the bind goes. Therefore, I've found that this works well and usually kills the melee brothers before they have a chance to hit*: [sarco] -> Impact -> [sidestep] -> Wrack -> Wrack -> Wrack -> Wrack -> Combust -> [bind from Impact goes] -> Asphyxiate -> Impact -> Sidestep (etc.).

3. If there's a delay in sidestepping, you'll only get four auto-synced abilities away, so for the last Wrack, instead of waiting for the auto attack to go with Combust, just go Wrack -> Combust -> Asphyxiate as quickly as you can. Asphyxiate should land (and therefore stun) before Impact's bind runs out.

* - The abilities were auto-synced as you described in this guide, except for Asphyxiate, which was done immediately after an auto-synced Combust attack.

Thanks for testing and providing feedback. I've yet to test the ZS technique for Karil from an earlier poster, but I've been busy. As for the questions:

- The reason I go to Karil before is Torag is simple: it's less distance and therefore a gain in speed (though it's maybe worth only few seconds). By the time I'm at Karil I have easily over 50% adrenaline. I can then use Torag and Ahrim to heal up some.

- On Dragon Breath: I'm disappointed as well with its accuracy and I've noted it down, but I should change the figure

- 4 vs 5 auto-synced attacks: I often perform 5 as well. However, for Dharok I'm more likely to simply do 4 and an auto-attack before launching Asphyxiate. If he's not dead by then, I tank it (you can perform another auto-synced attack straight after Asphyx. without being hit). I'd like to avoid a potential 2.5k hit. In the end, no food or prayer should be required. I'll update the guide to mention this.

Legion.gif

In your picture, you show use of Karil's Crossbow. considering the size of the Dungeon, might I suggest using Black Salamander instead? With Harralander tar it does exactly the same damage as Karil's Crossbow, but does not need repair cost, cheap to get (the salamander costs less than a single bolt rack), and the ammo is even cheaper (27 vs 171, though the tars might be rising). It is also bolt type

They are both average speed weapons, and they both do the same damage. I dont think there is actually any reason to use Karil's Crossbow anymore.

• Like 2

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

Hmm... yeah take bolts for Akrisae, of course, but given you have a fair amount of inventory space left over, is there any reason not to take a crystal/zaryte bow for Ahrim? Ahrim barely hits at all now so it's not an issue of survivability, it's more about getting kills done faster and therefore each run faster because of the same style accuracy boost.

Zaryte would be an expensive overkill but crystal bows are very affordable now.

In your picture, you show use of Karil's Crossbow. considering the size of the Dungeon, might I suggest using Black Salamander instead? With Harralander tar it does exactly the same damage as Karil's Crossbow, but does not need repair cost, cheap to get (the salamander costs less than a single bolt rack), and the ammo is even cheaper (27 vs 171, though the tars might be rising). It is also bolt type

They are both average speed weapons, and they both do the same damage. I dont think there is actually any reason to use Karil's Crossbow anymore.

The guide doesn't specify Karil's cbow as the weapon to use, I just happened to use it at the time, so a salamander qualifies as a "... range weapon, preferably using bolts and high accuracy". One thing to keep in mind though: when safespotting Akrisae, I'm not sure the salamander is a good choice (unless it no longer requires adjacency to the target or if you bind and not fail). I've switched to the royal crossbow.

Another note I must add to the Karil cbow: the ammo is free, even when looting chests with 0 kc, I get racks to compensate for what I use. In terms of speed, the danger of adjacency to Akrisae can easily compromise your gp/hour. The guy is insane accurate and even with Drakan's amulet, it takes some time to replenish health.

Hmm... yeah take bolts for Akrisae, of course, but given you have a fair amount of inventory space left over, is there any reason not to take a crystal/zaryte bow for Ahrim? Ahrim barely hits at all now so it's not an issue of survivability, it's more about getting kills done faster and therefore each run faster because of the same style accuracy boost.

Zaryte would be an expensive overkill but crystal bows are very affordable now.

True, a bow is far more accurate for Ahrim. Will update it.

Legion.gif

Bolt racks aside, you still have the repair cost of Karil's Crossbow to contend with, so even without looking at ammo, Salamander is still superior.

I agree with Ginger's opinion about bows, Rapid shot is extremely deadly against ahrim with a Crystal bow, and you will be lucky if you can even shoot 3 auto attacks against him, he dies that quickly, so saves a bit on ammo (it totals to 72 gp a shot at cheapest recharge)

tim_chenw2.png

• 2 weeks later...

After due consideration, your guide has been promoted to the Archive of Wisdom. Congratulations :). Compliments on the diagrams :thumbup:.

Also, don't forget to update the info on safespots.

• Like 3

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

After due consideration, your guide has been promoted to the Archive of Wisdom. Congratulations :). Compliments on the diagrams :thumbup:.

Also, don't forget to update the info on safespots.

I've updated the guide, but I'll look into the safespot issue. Originally there was a part without safespotting, I'll see if I can improve on that. Thanks for the honor.

Legion.gif

nice guide, after some testing, this method is definitely better than using ice blitz/barrage. small tip: I use rush, the teleport mage spell to travel more quickly (between doors & mounds) and also to keep me in combat (for the adrenaline).

I've found no matter what, the melee brothers always hit me once before I can stun and disengage them. Did you find a way to avoid this? although it's not really necessary, I just don't want to get hit at all :)

oh and although the rocks are still there (visually), you can no longer safespot the melee brothers.

Nice guide, did Barrows for the first time ever with this guide and though I didn't use the same setup as you, you are absolutely spot on with your use of abilities.

Fluppets, if you're quick-fingered you can hit T (Target) and click on the Barrows brother while simultaneously firing off an Impact.

Also instead of sidestepping, I often run a few squares away (you can still use Wrack/Combust while running too) to the opposite wall of the brother. With the Melee brothers, I find that by the time the initial Impact expires, I've got Asphxiate ready to go to finish him and often defeat Dharok/Torag/Verac/Guthan without taking a hit.

• 1 month later...

K, bad news guys. My subscription has ended (no plans on renewing) and throughout the years I've been dropping out of RS more and more. So maintaining this guide won't be possible for me. I'm going to have to ask to either remove it or have someone take it over. As for Akrisae:

- either fully ignore (and if the opportunity arises kill him in the tunnels, where safe spots are plentiful, including the torches in the main room)

- freeze, launch attacks, trap using tomb and repeat, making runs slow unless you're mad good at control

I've tried summoning using repeatedly opening the same door in the tunnels but rarity makes this a non-viable option.

@fluppets: if they're 2-3 squares away I can hit them fast enough with stun to stop them, otherwise it shouldn't matter, considering the damage is easily healed

I haven't kept up to date with RS to know if new things can improve a player's speed against Akrisae. My apologies.

Legion.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From what I have done on barrows, using all 4 elemental spells isn't really necessary. I use Ice Barrage exclusively, but my abilities constitute the vast majority of the damage. I barely get 3 casts off per melee fight, even dual casting it with a wand and a book. I have never noticed a difference it time it takes to kill a brother. Torag goes down in the same time as any other melee brother. And all of them are dead at most just after a 2nd freeze. Many times they die within that 20 seconds that Ice Barrage gives you. Make's safe spotting easy.

From what I can tell, it seems that abilities are not subject to the attack style used. Concentrated blast hits as well on dharok as it does on torag, whether you are casting ice barrage or some equally damaging fire spell.

pere_grin.png

Abilities are subject to what element of spell you are using, it's just that your accuracy is so high at your Magic level + with the weapon you are using that it doesn't matter anymore.

I found Ice spells to interact very negatively with Abilities, since the Bind on the ice spell prevents Impact's (much) longer bind from actually working, so I don't really bother using it.

tim_chenw2.png

Using ice spells only had been a bad technique for me too. It just doesnt seem to freeze for as long. But i think way before EOC, the time was halved. Burst seemed to freeze for 5 seconds

Even with abilities, it's almost impossible to avoid hitting a barrow brother without your auto cast hitting it first, which means you cant impact them (Impact still stun it, but the bind effect does not apply).

I have never been able to successfully kill a barrow brother within the freeze time of an ice Blitz.

tim_chenw2.png