04-12-12 - The Brink of Extinction - Grandmaster Quest

Octarine

And I don't get how some are having it so easy. :s I'm level 200 and I wear bandos with zamorakian spear, not quite welfaring, but apparently you need the best armour in the game to stand a chance...

I used Dharok constantly at 3-4k lp and had no problems. My only deaths were from the lava. You are praying melee right?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Don't really get why some people are having so much difficulty with beating him.

It's possible that you didn't notice, but:

• You used the best possible gear.
  • You have maxed combat.

A bunch of people are trying to fight him with lower level gear and stats in the low to mid 80s.

Also, for those who haven't realized yet: you don't have to wait for him to attempt to heal before you stun him. Once you stun him, he'll stay stunned for the same duration as your stun ability's cooldown (15s). So if you just stun him once your ability comes off cooldown it will help to avoid being pulled into the lava. Or there are always ice spells.

Edit: Found this on another forum:

1xbrV.png

So it looks like the ideas about tanking the triple damage elsewhere are moot. If the 10% accuracy bonus only works against TzHaar anyway, then there's not much point.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

Don't really get why some people are having so much difficulty with beating him.

It's possible that you didn't notice, but:

• You used the best possible gear.
  • You have maxed combat.

A bunch of people are trying to fight him with lower level gear and stats in the low to mid 80s.

Also, for those who haven't realized yet: you don't have to wait for him to attempt to heal before you stun him. Once you stun him, he'll stay stunned for the same duration as your stun ability's cooldown (15s). So if you just stun him once your ability comes off cooldown it will help to avoid being pulled into the lava. Or there are always ice spells.

I had a similar amount of success in Verac's and a glory because running to the GE is so uncool. It took me a few more tries because I had trouble focusing on the floor while also focusing on my ability bar, but that was just because I'm running on a few hours of sleep. Just take out the ranger as soon as you can, then stun him every time it comes off the cooldown. Move around as you need to, just make sure his stun doesnt wear off while you're looking away.

1xbrV.png

So it looks like the ideas about tanking the triple damage elsewhere are moot. If the 10% accuracy bonus only works against TzHaar anyway, then there's not much point.

Tzhaar capes for everyone.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I hate this quest, I'm already 4 hours busy with the bossfight and there is no way I can defeat this guy. I know how to kill him. Kill the ranger, prot melee, unleash your abilities on the big guy, avoid the hot tiles... At half his health, start stunning AND that's where it's going wrong most of the time (and pathfinding issues), when I stun him, I follow him into the hot tiles, thus giving me multiple 1590 hits. And that's something I can't overcome. I already tried killing him with magic and ranged, but those attemps didn't even make me outlast the ranger from the beginning. I really don't know what to do now, I feel terrible for being so mad about a game.

ICE MAGIC.

• Like 2

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

And I don't get how some are having it so easy. :s I'm level 200 and I wear bandos with zamorakian spear, not quite welfaring, but apparently you need the best armour in the game to stand a chance...

'

I did it with Verac armor and zamorak spear (even more welfare than you), took me several tries and my ovl doses, but once I found the strategy it was a walkover (I ate less than 10 rocktails on my successful try, and I took my sweet time killing the ranger). Nor did I use Ice magic, but my Backhand ability seem to have worked all the time without fail.

Just drag him to the other side of the room and pay attention to him only when you drop the starting ranger, the rest is just easy, Melee deflect took care of defense for me.

Watch your prayer, watch the floor, kill the ranger, stun him when he starts to walk away or Autocast Ice magic, that's it.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes but the Veteran hood (10 year) has had it's +1.5% critical to all styles removed.

Thank God. That was really kinda OP, getting 0.75% DPS boost for playing the game for 10 years. I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic right now. Whatever. Glitch fixed and that's good.

They moved it to the cape, which now matches the 5 year vet cape which already had +1.5% all crit.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

'

I did it with Verac armor and zamorak spear (even more welfare than you), took me several tries and my ovl doses, but once I found the strategy it was a walkover (I ate less than 10 rocktails on my successful try, and I took my sweet time killing the ranger). Nor did I use Ice magic, but my Backhand ability seem to have worked all the time without fail.

Just drag him to the other side of the room and pay attention to him only when you drop the starting ranger, the rest is just easy, Melee deflect took care of defense for me.

Watch your prayer, watch the floor, kill the ranger, stun him when he starts to walk away or Autocast Ice magic, that's it.

I did it with Bandos\Cmaul and just prayed melee\turm, ovl'd and then killed ranger first then spammed the boss, using meteor storm when he was about 50% and kept him stunned, used 5-10 rocktails + 3? doses of pray pot.. was really easy.

jagerbluebt1.gif

Thx to MxM for parts of the sig!

did it second try with fighter torso d legs and maul. Died the first time just cause floor was against me and wouldn't let off the ranger so i got piled. Once the ranger is gone though he's a peace of cake with pro melee. Dreadnips really do help a ton since all of its attacks stun him so you can do more damaging abilities.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I found the quest to be very enjoyable with the voice acting. I am uploading a video on how I killed the boss with Dharok's and will edit it in here. As far as the reward, I feel it was not up to par with a GM quest. 275k combat experience is do-able in about 40 minutes with the right gear and location. I would've much preferred a general experience lamp in any skill. They said it was going to be a generous reward, but by the time someone does this quest, they probably will have 99 combats.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o9UI2MWSxc

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

wait... voice acting?

LEMAD DID IT WHILE LISTENING TO NIGHTWISH.

also i may or may not have died on the boss 4 times, first due to tilederp, all next 3 times was bad tiles, because couldnt kill rangers and they kept spawning ect ect

5th time got good spawn and was a complete pushover, meleed till ranger down then barrage all the way

meamzed.png

did anyone els feel there were a few gaping plot holes in this supposedly finale quest? Or did i just miss it somewhere?

[hide]

The other tzhaar say they had no memory of the cauldron... how is that so when the tzhaar alive today were the ones who made it, just in new bodies. Is their reproductive process not 100% effective meaning that eventually the tzhaar will die out anyway?

If they forgot about it some other way how did the gal al know about it? unless the tok haar told him how to turn it back on then why were they trying to stop us...

and no mention of why the tzhaar split of from the tok haar? or did they say that in a previous quest?

[/hide]

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, Instakill Darts do indeed work on the boss, I just tried it

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

Wasted at least 1mil on this freaking boss, tried ice spells, dual wielding, 2h, shields with recover...

And everyone's right it does get a lot easier once I take out the Xil, I just only do that 1/3 of the time cuz the lava floor stops me before another one spawns...

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

Wasted at least 1mil on this freaking boss, tried ice spells, dual wielding, 2h, shields with recover...

And everyone's right it does get a lot easier once I take out the Xil, I just only do that 1/3 of the time cuz the lava floor stops me before another one spawns...

The lava floor changes multiple times, just wait for it to change again and immediately go back to attacking the ranger.

jagerbluebt1.gif

Yeah I did it without knocking out the range. The times I failed was due to lack of attention to detail - missed a stun available msg, missed the floor change warning. I did enjoy the boss fight overall, a bit of a challenge and it was good to see it matched up to the new combat system. I gotta say though, that this guy:-

1xkfQ.png

Can [bleep] off.

• Like 1

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Little disappointed that there was no smithing xp reward, but then again you didn't actually have to smith anything during the quest.. only after.

Boring quest in my opinion. Fighting waves of monsters and then a final easy boss..Meh.

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

The lava floor changes multiple times, just wait for it to change again and immediately go back to attacking the ranger.

I'm just a terrible bosser, and whenever I notice (Too late to avoid damage) that I should get away I end up staying away even when it's safe. Meh, I'll get it eventually, I'd rather have a 16 round boss of simon says than this final encounter.

EDIT: And by eventually, of course, I mean the attempt after I posted this >.>

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I'm just a terrible bosser, and whenever I notice (Too late to avoid damage) that I should get away I end up staying away even when it's safe. Meh, I'll get it eventually, I'd rather have a 16 round boss of simon says than this final encounter.

Just set up your abilities so you spam basics for ASDF(Slice\Smash\Cleave\Fury could do) and have Q set up for Kick, that way you can focus your attention on watching the floor\eating. Just spam ASDF and then Q when it needs to be stunned. Take out the range one as fast as you can and after that it's easy sailing.

jagerbluebt1.gif

He spawns more than 1 xil?

No, just the one at the beginning.

After that kill, just make sure you keep Melee protect up and avoid the lava, and you'll do just fine. Combination of Rejuvenate and the stuns and you're golden, with some emergency food just in case.

The Fight Cauldron was freaking annoying to get through at my levels, but I got 200+ shards soon enough to make a full set (with 3 helms). Just have combat triangle prepped (Gano + SoL / Karil top+skirt+xbow / Verac brassard+skirt+flail for me) and abuse weaknesses.

*Just FYI: the Obsidian armor is assistable, which in my head (while I appreciated it and took advantage of), kinda defeats the purpose of it being so high level.

But maaaaan, I must have used at least a 100 sharks for the entirety of this quest + the Cauldron >_>

***EDIT: so looking it up now, apparently the armor set is not supposed to be Asssitable? So it might be a bug...oops.***

ArchangelSignature.jpg

In fact the fight, once you know how to avoid the lava, kill the first xil and stun him repeatedly, you dont even need shields.

My successful try didn't use half the rocktails I brought with me.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)