Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

04-12-12 - The Brink of Extinction - Grandmaster Quest

Quests Recent Updates

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei

He spawns more than 1 xil?

No, just the one at the beginning.

I don't know what triggers it, but you can have more than one TokHaar-Tok-Xil before moving onto the Champions, just as you can have two champions spawn for you before moving onto the Xil and Mej waves. TokHaar-Xil and TokHaar-Mej can start to spawn after the Tok-Xil and Champions are dead, too.

hzvjpwS.gif

Oddish DIY
[ Display Name History ]

Oddish DIY

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • RSN:Oddlsh
  • RSN2:Oddish DIY
Basicly the boss keeps summoning the same kind adds until you manage to clear the room fully. So if it takes you too long to kill the ranger, he will spawn a 2nd ranger and so on (Up to 4 I believe). You don't want that to happen as the rangers hit really hard.

Once you clear the room from rangers, champions will start spawning. They're so weak I wouldnt bother killing them, chances are the 3rd monster hits alot higher (My guess the next one would be magers)

For MELEE setup

Armour suggestions:
Melee top/bottom
Mage helm, gloves, boots (for additional defence against melee without losing offence)
Melee crit amulet, cape, ring
2H weapon (Chaotic Maul preferably)

OR Full Dharok works as well

Inventory:
Dreadnips, 1-2 prayer flasks
Remaining slots for food

Pot at bank, the fight wont last long enough to warrant potting again

The Fight:

Melee protect + piety before u talk to the boss
Smack boss and try to build up adrenaline for 50%
When ranger spawns and is attackable (No lava below him) unleash some basics and if you have enough adrenaline launch ASSAULT. This move is a combo move and hits 3 times and theyre most likely really high hits too. (remember that using any other ability during the combo will cancel it)

After the ranger dies just focus on the boss, luring him to furthest corners away from the healing fountain (this will also block most of the champions it spawns). Just keep using basics and assault/berserk whenever you can. I wouldnt bother with any other thresholds or ultimates. At 50% it will start healing unless you stun him. I've heard different methods bout this but I just used Kick whenever it started moving towards the healing fountain.

EDIT: Remember that you can eat food while doing combo attacks without cancelling the attack :)

Posted Image
My gear in that pic

Ahrim Hood
Verac's Brassard
Rune Plateskirt
Dragon Rider Boots
Spellcaster Gloves
Tokhaar-Kal
Tokkul-Zo
Amulet of Glory
Chaotic Maul

used 12 monkfish and 5 prayer potion doses
Oddish_Diy.png
Oddish_Diy.png
Oddish_Diy.png

Flyingjj
[ Display Name History ]

Flyingjj

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,181 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:flyingjj
I guess one thing that annoys me about the combat in this quest is that you are often being attacked by more than one combat style. This was okay in the old system because you could mix and match armour to cover multiple sides or use protection prayers to block one side of the triangle completely, but in the new system they've worked so hard to discourage hybrid setups (steep penalties to both offense and defense for using the wrong class) and protection prayers no longer block them out completely.

It's not a big complaint, just slightly annoying that they use a mechanic they used in the old combat system to make combat more thoughtful (throwing multiple attack styles at you) in a combat system that allows for much more complex dynamics and makes the old mechanic more difficult than it was before.
Posted Image

Octarine
[ Display Name History ]

Octarine

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Octarine
  • RSN2:Octarune
  • Clan:Primacy
I guess the intention is that you use shield abilities and 50% prot prayer to mitigate damage while taking out the immediate threat (rangers when you're maging say) before focusing on the stuff that you deal good damage against. I've found that the cool-down penalties for switching gear and such were much better than I thought, so I guess its just a case of more switches than we used to have

Blog of DG, Bossing (mostly Glacors) and stuff - Runetrack

Posted Image
Play Safe! Posted Image - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
Anyone still having trouble beating the quest? If so, fret not! Jagex updated their wiki to include RECOMMENDED SETUPS FOR THE BATTLES!

Posted Image

Akrisae's warmace with Pernix armour, lmao that -30% accuracy penalty

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Poppe
[ Display Name History ]

Poppe

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • RSN:Etjien
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts

Anyone still having trouble beating the quest? If so, fret not! Jagex updated their wiki to include RECOMMENDED SETUPS FOR THE BATTLES!

Posted Image

...Are those rune longswords on the far left set up o.O?

This is why you leave the helping of players to the actual help sites...
Posted Image

Octarine
[ Display Name History ]

Octarine

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • RSN:Octarine
  • RSN2:Octarune

snip

...Are those rune longswords on the far left set up o.O?

This is why you leave the helping of players to the actual help sites...

I love the assumption that no-one has chaotics but everyone has nex gear.

Blog of DG, Bossing (mostly Glacors) and stuff - Runetrack

Posted Image
Play Safe! Posted Image - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
You think you've seen it all, but then they bring something else out which stuns you with just how ignorant they are of their own game.

Dual rune longswords is just... apparently they can afford to use a virtus wand though.

Asmodean <3

michel555555
[ Display Name History ]

michel555555

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • RSN:michel555555
  • Clan:fealty stars

You think you've seen it all, but then they bring something else out which stuns you with just how ignorant they are of their own game.

Dual rune longswords is just... apparently they can afford to use a virtus wand though.

Is it even longswords? You would think they would as least use dragon. Or are they using just normal rune swords?

michel555555.png

click you know you wanna

Ruinous Edge
[ Display Name History ]

Ruinous Edge

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 519 posts
I can confirm that insta-kill darts work on the boss, reclaimed qp again :)

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

Posted Image

http://www.transformersuniverse.com

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

aerendil
[ Display Name History ]

aerendil

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • RSN:Meamzed
  • RSN2:Aethyriel
  • RSN '07:Aethyriel
  • Clan:Tal_shiar, Sic semper tyrannus

Posted Image

i....
dont...
even.....

dont evening aside, just to confirm, the boss will spawn rangers unless you kill them all... I died several times because 2-3 rangers on me, they really owned me through barrows... so kill the first one.
I then switched to gano and cs after meleeing with maul time first ranger was dead, barraging made it a complete joke
Posted Image

Huge Noob
[ Display Name History ]

Huge Noob

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,016 posts
  • RSN:Huge Noob
  • RSN '07:Huge Noob
  • Clan:CoE
Full Dharoks is definitely the way to go if you're going to Melee. I tried SEVERAL times using Ganodermic and Ice Barrage. Dharoks is much better in my opinion. I brought 3 (4) dose Prayer pots and the rest sharks. When the first ranger spawns (at the very beginning of the fight), kill it. If you do he'll spawn Meleers next, which you should be praying against. Then just watch your Prayer, if you let it run out you probably won't be able to drink a dose and re-pray fast enough to not get KOed. Good luck. :D

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

S11m
[ Display Name History ]

S11m

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:S11m
I used guthans and a saradomin sword with sharks, ppots and super set while praying melee and managed to kill it without bigger problems. I can confirm that if you take too long to kill tha Xil (ranger) the boss will spawn more of 'em. Also - try not to get killed during the boss' dying animation. Happend to me. Had to kill him again -.- .
Posted Image

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

This could be the community's new self-imposed challenge. Beat combat-orgy quests and endgame bosses with Jagex-approved setups. Winner receives a spin ticket.

Ambler
[ Display Name History ]

Ambler

Black Knight Trainer

• Monster Hunting Team
  • 3,453 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Ambl3r
  • RSN '07:Ambler
  • Clan:¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This could be the community's new self-imposed challenge. Beat combat-orgy quests and endgame bosses with Jagex-approved setups. Winner receives a spin ticket.

I'm tempted to try this. :lol:

Posted Image
^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^
My livestream- Currently: Offline :(
Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

Lewtations

QueenValerie
[ Display Name History ]

QueenValerie

Retired Tip.It Admins

• Members
  • 6,282 posts
  • RSN:QueenValerie
  • Clan:NONE

I gotta say though, that this guy:-

Posted Image

Can [bleep] off.

This made me laugh out loud!! :wink:

The quest was fun, the boss wasn't to bad. I used Bandos, maul, dreadnips, 2 prayer flasks and rest rocktails. Prayed melee the whole time, used stun every chance I could.

queenvalerie.png

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • RSN:The Warrior

Is it even longswords? You would think they would as least use dragon. Or are they using just normal rune swords?

Well they ARE posting the absolute best gear you can get without ANY skill and/or quest requirements other than combat and oodles of GP. However unlikely that scenario is.
Also, I think Jagex is about the only one still getting a hard-on from dual wielding. Have they not realised they made that absolute shite for anything with even remotely decent defences?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

Stats and logs

Estoc
[ Display Name History ]

Estoc

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • RSN:Estoc

Also, I think Jagex is about the only one still getting a hard-on from dual wielding. Have they not realised they made that absolute shite for anything with even remotely decent defences?

Nope, half the people I see in game are still running around with dual Chaotic Longswords and what-not. They don't seem to realize how terrible the damage is with abilities.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Kaida23
[ Display Name History ]

Kaida23

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Kaida23
  • Clan:Total F2P Skillers

Inb4trimcompcapereq. :lol:

That would certainly be an excellent challenge for those who complain everything is too easy.

Posted Image
Check out my blog to read the Adventures of a Big Damn (F2P) Hero.

Posted Image

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

MTheory
[ Display Name History ]

MTheory

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • RSN:Laplacian
I had my steel titan out before I went in but it said that I couldn't use a familiar or something.It showed up and helped me in some battles including the last one. Glitch?
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Quests, Recent Updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users