04-12-12 - The Brink of Extinction - Grandmaster Quest

Octarine

Even if you have darts, Jagex stated it wouldn't work on bosses released later in the year..

First i've heard this, source please

if the world didn't suck, we'd all fly off into space

never have a battle of wits with a fool, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with expierience

On the plus side, it looks like they finally realised how silly the concept of wearing obsidian glass as armour is.

if you take damage while wearing any piece of obsidian armour outside of the TzHaar City, you will suffer significantly more than the normal damage, and be notified that [your] armour is splintering and tearing you apart.

http://services.runescape.com/m=rswiki/en/Smithing_Obsidian

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Wearing a melee shield setup and penance aura I didn't need any food or prayer pots with the wave two tanking strategy.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

On the plus side, it looks like they finally realised how silly the concept of wearing obsidian glass as armour is.

if you take damage while wearing any piece of obsidian armour outside of the TzHaar City, you will suffer significantly more than the normal damage, and be notified that [your] armour is splintering and tearing you apart.

http://services.rune...ithing_Obsidian

I wish they'd explain why this actually happens. I'd assume it has to do with the heat from the TzHaar city keeps the obsidian armor from fragmenting. When you leave, and go to a cooler area, the armor gets brittle. Of course this wouldn't make sense if it still "fragments" in other lava filled areas, like Taverley Dungeon, Brimhaven- oh wait, it's just magic. Don't gotta explain shit.

It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes but the Veteran hood (10 year) has had it's +1.5% critical to all styles removed.

Thank God. That was really kinda OP, getting 0.75% DPS boost for playing the game for 10 years. I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic right now. Whatever. Glitch fixed and that's good.

If the boss does manage to get under the fountain to heal, Asphyxiate seems to interrupt the healing. I don't think other stuns do.

All stuns work. Use ice magic. Every single time you autocast, he'll get stunned and won't be able to heal. With ice barrage and deflect melee (seriously, don't underestimate protection prayers) I had no problems beating him.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

I was surprised when Hok hit a 3k on me, but with protection prayers on he never seemed to get past 500. It also turns out that the more TokHaar he's summoned, the harder he'll hit.

Maul hit really often on Hok, which was quite interesting (800 hit bonus versus level 196). It even stunned him every single time without fail, either incredibly lucky or some design feature. Initially I was using a master wand and when I used asphyxiate all 4 of the stunning hits missed :\\\

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I was surprised when Hok hit a 3k on me, but with protection prayers on he never seemed to get past 500. It also turns out that the more TokHaar he's summoned, the harder he'll hit.

Maul hit really often on Hok, which was quite interesting (800 hit bonus versus level 196). It even stunned him every single time without fail, either incredibly lucky or some design feature. Initially I was using a master wand and when I used asphyxiate all 4 of the stunning hits missed :\\\

On my second attempt he dropped my prayer and hit for 6k. I was not pleased :P

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

On my first try, I used soul split...got hit for 5k and then got caught by the damn fire floor :P

The 2nd and 3rd try, I ran out of food because the rangers tore through me

4th and final try, I barely completed it!

Regardless, can't wait to try the armor in the fight kiln! Need to get a wand first though..

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

I hate this quest, I'm already 4 hours busy with the bossfight and there is no way I can defeat this guy. I know how to kill him. Kill the ranger, prot melee, unleash your abilities on the big guy, avoid the hot tiles... At half his health, start stunning AND that's where it's going wrong most of the time (and pathfinding issues), when I stun him, I follow him into the hot tiles, thus giving me multiple 1590 hits. And that's something I can't overcome. I already tried killing him with magic and ranged, but those attemps didn't even make me outlast the ranger from the beginning. I really don't know what to do now, I feel terrible for being so mad about a game.

why is it that they keep rewarding you with things specifically designed to harm their people

it's like they want to be extinct

I think they're hoping you'll use it on the other guys.

So they give you armour that is only really awesome within their realm and arguably useless elsewhere.

I hate this quest, I'm already 4 hours busy with the bossfight and there is no way I can defeat this guy. I know how to kill him. Kill the ranger, prot melee, unleash your abilities on the big guy, avoid the hot tiles... At half his health, start stunning AND that's where it's going wrong most of the time (and pathfinding issues), when I stun him, I follow him into the hot tiles, thus giving me multiple 1590 hits. And that's something I can't overcome. I already tried killing him with magic and ranged, but those attemps didn't even make me outlast the ranger from the beginning. I really don't know what to do now, I feel terrible for being so mad about a game.

I haven't gotten to the boss yet, but maybe kill the ranger with melee and switch to magic for the main boss? I know switching armor has detriments but is it that bad?

Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10

99 Defense since 3/14/11 99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11

99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11 99 Prayer since 11/15/11

99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14

99 Fishing since 2/4/14 99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14

99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14 99 Fletching since 11/11/14

99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

why is it that they keep rewarding you with things specifically designed to harm their people

it's like they want to be extinct

I think they're hoping you'll use it on the other guys.

So they give you armour that is only really awesome within their realm and arguably useless elsewhere.

The other guys being the other faction in that realm.

That or they hate you and want you to wear your knife-armor outside of their realm.

Defeated him on my second attempt. I just went in there with full torva and a chaotic maul. I ignored all the stuff he spawned, and just focused on him. I used a stun ability every time it came off cooldown. Don't really get why some people are having so much difficulty with beating him.

And I don't get how some are having it so easy. :s I'm level 200 and I wear bandos with zamorakian spear, not quite welfaring, but apparently you need the best armour in the game to stand a chance...

I listened to the advice of all the people that suggested ice barrage and had no problem with it. I had Akrisae's armor, a staff of light, and 89 defense and I didn't have any trouble once I took out the ranger. Magic seems to be the best option when everything uses melee.