Microtransactions

muggiwhplar

Even though it is easy to solo bosses at GWD now (even I can do it with Lv. 60 gear), I think the difficulty is just right since it gives Lv. 70 gear (Barrows is easier, but gives degradable gear instead, which is a good deal IMO.)

As for Nex... No idea how easy she is now, but if she's still pretty hard, they could change Lv. reqs/stats for Nex gear in order to turn them into end-game gear.

Then they can fill in the blanks however they want, provided the effort required isn't too low.

I would be pretty pissed if the new level 90 armor was just nex sets, especially since they royally screwed torva armor and turned it from the best looking armor to one of the worst in the whole game.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

I think Torva is the best looking melee armour, though I can agree that there are better-looking mage robes (Blue infinity, for example.)

I can't really comment on Ranged armour.

But that is beside the point; looks are definitely the last thing you are going to look at when getting the highest level armour.

I think Torva is the best looking melee armour, though I can agree that there are better-looking mage robes (Blue infinity, for example.)

I can't really comment on Ranged armour.

But that is beside the point; looks are definitely the last thing you are going to look at when getting the highest level armour.

Since right now level 80 armor won't let you do anything level 70 will, looks and prestige are the only thing I look for in armor.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

If you don't want to spend the time getting the best armour in the game, the 2nd or 3rd best armours are perfectly sufficient for almost every activity in the game (solo Nex attempts are the only thing I could think of requiring pernix pre eoc) and post eoc, the difference between Nex gear and barrows/lower GWD gear is almost negligible.

If you don't want to put the time in, then just accept that you won't get the best gear. That or learn how to use more effective money making methods. You aren't forced to use Nex gear, and you won't be forced to use PoP gear.

For the record, 200 hours is nothing for the best armour in the game, when an entirely cosmetic upgrade from the 2nd best cape to the best cape requires a minimum of 1667 hours time spent.

• Like 3

Asmodean <3

Well, just for clarity on the issue:

The value of a coin is at an all time low, yet armour is also incredibly low. It's created a situation where nearly everyone can buy nex gears and spirit shields without putting any effort in.
If you don't want to put the time in, then just accept that you won't get the best gear. That or learn how to use more effective money making methods. You aren't forced to use Nex gear, and you won't be forced to use PoP gear.

Do you want to change your first post, or your second post? Do people need to work for hundreds of hours to obtain the best armours in the game, or don't they?

• Like 1

Well, just for clarity on the issue:

The value of a coin is at an all time low, yet armour is also incredibly low. It's created a situation where nearly everyone can buy nex gears and spirit shields without putting any effort in.

Do you want to change your first post, or your second post? Do people need to work for hundreds of hours to obtain the best armours in the game, or don't they?

You bolded the wrong bit of my post.

The next part read: "That or learn how to use more effective money making methods."

If you want to grind to earn the gear you have to put the effort in. Or just give up and settle for 2nd best.

If you can merch or stake, people need only spend a couple of hours of actual game time to obtain those armours.

Since the majority of players I know do merch, and many stake, that is where my point about nearly everyone being able to obtain those gears without much effort came from. Obviously there is an element of risk to these methods, but with a bit of knowledge you can minimize that risk.

Asmodean <3

Staking is not a reliable money-making method. There are relatively few exceptional examples in a community of hundreds of thousands of people, but the vast majority of people either break even or lose out. That stands to reason; not everyone can get rich off staking because somebody has to lose (and I'm emphasizing 'everyone' because in your first post you said, quote: 'almost everyone').

Not to mention the effort needed to learn the knowledge to be successful at staking in the first place.

If you want to grind to earn the gear you have to put the effort in. Or just give up and settle for 2nd best.

I'll take this as indication you believe your first post was wrong. You can desperately try to marry two clearly contradictory statements together but the rest of us are finding it pretty obvious that you made that first post without properly thinking it through.

• Like 2

For the record, 200 hours is nothing for the best armour in the game, when an entirely cosmetic upgrade from the 2nd best cape to the best cape requires a minimum of 1667 hours time spent.

That's hardly an effective argument for the justification of the ridiculous amount of effort that is(or was) needed to obtain Nex armours. They both belong to the category of madness, only that one differs from the other in terms of degree; that's all. I would be in favour of sensibly reducing the time needed for both activities.

@ Ginger, that observation is very astute on your part, I had nearly missed it. I guess from that we can conclude that Fallstar hadn't really thought about what he was saying; rather was just acting on knee-jerk and visceral impulses: "Why are all of you complaining? Nex armour is so easy to get, everyone has it!...Sorry, but the best armour is only meant for people like me and my friends, that can gamble billions! If you want it so bad, get ready to gamble like us! Otherwise, know your role and learn it well, peasant!" Yes, that's a caricature, but it's close enough. :wink:

• Like 1

Why not settle for second best, then?

High level armour SHOULD be hard to get.

There's a fine difference between being challenging to get and being nonsensically ridiculous to get. It's obscene that Maxed players have to gamble in order to get level 80 gear. And most of us have settled for the second-best armours(due to a variety of reasons), it doesn't suddenly mean that we should abandon our desires for a more sensible RS. So we have settled for the moment, but on the sidelines we are still advancing the arguments that we shouldn't have to settle.

I'll take this as indication you believe your first post was wrong. You can desperately try to marry two clearly contradictory statements together but the rest of us are finding it pretty obvious that you made that first post without properly thinking it through.

Really, stop bolding bits of my posts and ignoring the rest.

Right before the bolded bit: "If you want to grind to earn the gear". If you don't want to afk grind and actually want to play the game, you could Nex, which still averages 5+m/hr in small teams, halving the time needed to 100 hours. (Before Jagex's newspost skyrocketed the prices that is :P )

Alternatively you can spend some time learning how the GE works. Why would you grind out Ganos, or still spend a long time nexing, when you can earn vastly larger sums of money using the GE in fractions of the amount of time?

ss20121116at032355.png

ss20121116at052227.png

This was one flip from a couple of weeks ago. I put my offer in for a druidic body, and waiting for a dicer/staker to lose a lot of money and panic sell their gear. Druidic is one of the few items with low enough trade volume that you can still do this with. Then I started pm'ing people involved in the druidic market asking if they wanted it, and gave it to the highest bidder.

Although you can grind or PVM if you want to, there is no need to do so. RS is a simple game, with a simple economy that is spectacularly easy to understand, predict and manipulate compared to real economies.

There is no need to gamble, but if you refuse to use more efficient methods of making money, when they are literally at your fingertips since the introduction of the GE, then you are refusing to help yourself.

Asmodean <3

Are you actually suggesting that this method is available to all of us? We don't all have a billion lying around with which we can flip some expensive item to make a 100M profit margin. Unless you have a high stack of cash, you won't be making anywhere near that for quite some time.

• Like 2

You could have considered that Nex set effects are long overdue and made several hundred million off of those with only a 2-300m bank.

You could have bought sara brews with pretty much any cash stack.

There's two money making opportunities from merching just today that anyone could have taken advantage of. If you are willing to give it a go, you'll reap the rewards. If you stubbornly refuse to do so, and limit yourself to the slowest cash earners in the game, why complain that you can't afford gear?

Asmodean <3

You could have considered that Nex set effects are long overdue and made several hundred million off of those with only a 2-300m bank.

Actually I had already looked into that market, and I was aware of the update today and at the GE within a minute of it happening. I simply did not have the sort of bank to buy any set of Nex.

There's two money making opportunities from merching just today that anyone could have taken advantage of. If you are willing to give it a go, you'll reap the rewards. If you stubbornly refuse to do so, and limit yourself to the slowest cash earners in the game, why complain that you can't afford gear?

These(investment merchanting) are hardly reliable money makers. What are people supposed to do? Wait for weeks for such opportunities? These sorts of things don't happen everyday, and are only really profitable for those who are already loaded. The point is that Maxed players should not have to gamble or play the stocks to make the money. That such parasitic activities are the preferred money-making method instead of skills or some other organic component of the game is indicative of a grave structural problem within the game's design.

You seem to be confusing stubbornness with a denial of opportunity. I can't afford Third Aged Druid or Divine Spirit with a 20M cashpile, which is closer to what the average RuneScaper is able to afford. It's not a case of me being stubborn, I simply do not have the GP to buy it in the first place. Once again you've demonstrated that your perception of what an average player is capable of using as capital, to invest in what is known in RuneScape as 'flipping', is totally wide of the mark.

Moreover, you're proving just how much you are missing the point, and I'll bring it back to the topic title here. If it really is that easy for everyone (and again, I quote that word because that's the word you used) to make 100M in a single transaction, then why is RS gold being sold for $25/50M? Because the gold sellers are making a massive real life profit from the vast majority of players who cannot afford to do that. In reality, it's a tiny percentage at the top who can afford to engage in flipping and make a good and steady return from it, but in the face of glaring reality, you seem adamant to convince us that that's not the case, instead of just admitting you were wrong in the first place.

I have been playing for almost 6 years now, and I have yet to break 150m. I also hoard money unlike some people. You can't just tell us that we should have that kind of money... because we don't. I might could buy Virtus now, but I couldn't afford the degrade costs to use it. Saying that 300m for a shield is cheap is just outrageous as well. Not all of us diced/hc'd for our money.

Also, bossing is poor money now.

There's a fine difference between being challenging to get and being nonsensically ridiculous to get. It's obscene that Maxed players have to gamble in order to get level 80 gear. And most of us have settled for the second-best armours(due to a variety of reasons), it doesn't suddenly mean that we should abandon our desires for a more sensible RS. So we have settled for the moment, but on the sidelines we are still advancing the arguments that we shouldn't have to settle.

I have nex sets and I never gambled.

Sorry that you want everything given to you for free, but that's not how this game works.

That you use gwd rather than nex armour is your choice, not your fate.

I don't go around IRL complaining about not being able to afford a Ferrari with a part time min wage job. Some things may just be out of reach or not worth the time for you, and you have to accept that.

You seem to be confusing stubbornness with a denial of opportunity. I can't afford Third Aged Druid or Divine Spirit with a 20M cashpile, which is closer to what the average RuneScaper is able to afford. It's not a case of me being stubborn, I simply do not have the GP to buy it in the first place. Once again you've demonstrated that your perception of what an average player is capable of using as capital, to invest in what is known in RuneScape as 'flipping', is totally wide of the mark.

Moreover, you're proving just how much you are missing the point, and I'll bring it back to the topic title here. If it really is that easy for everyone (and again, I quote that word because that's the word you used) to make 100M in a single transaction, then why is RS gold being sold for $25/50M? Because the gold sellers are making a massive real life profit from the vast majority of players who cannot afford to do that. In reality, it's a tiny percentage at the top who can afford to engage in flipping and make a good and steady return from it, but in the face of glaring reality, you seem adamant to convince us that that's not the case, instead of just admitting you were wrong in the first place.

Gold isn't being sold for $25 for 50M, it's currently more like $.29/M (so under $15 for 50M) That's because of simple lack of demand, there just aren't enough RS players anymore to buy the gold produced by the bots.

Quick terminology check: what I did wasn't really flipping, my mistake for calling it a flip. There was a gap of several days between me buying the item off the GE and finding a seller. Flipping takes too much time and is too low of a gp/hr method to be worth bothering with. You should be making well reasoned decisions on short and long term investments instead.

Anyone can flip though lol. As I said earlier, anyone could have bought sara brews earlier today after that newspost and sold them now for an easy 30% increase in your bank. You don't need large amounts of money. If I had a 50M cash stack, I'd be buying torstols and torstol seeds whenever they went below 20k a herb / 200k a seed and selling them whenever they went over 25k a herb and 250k a seed. They repeat this pattern on a regular basis, except when BXP events occur. It's blindingly obvious and anyone can turn 50m into 200m+ in a couple of months, having only spent a few hours actually putting offers in, on just those two items.

All it takes is being bothered enough to look up a few exchange charts and make a few notes of instant buys/sells to determine behaviour at certain events.

If you have in the region of 10-100m, you can very easily turn that into the hundred mills range if you are willing to spend a few hours a day learning how the RS markets work. Since everyone who plays RS can use the GE, and almost everyone has at least 10m, then almost everyone was easily capable of buying nex gears before they rose today.

Asmodean <3

Reminds me of another point I forgot to make earlier...

The release of GWD pretty much started to kill skilling as a means to earn a reliable income. Why runecraft double nats for 1M/hr when you and 3 friends with subpar stats could easily kill Kree and split a hilt drop for 30M each? Making money via PvM blew skilling out of the water. Meanwhile, bots continue to devalue skilling profits, and the cost of buyable skills more or less remains the same while average income skyrockets. Number of maxed players suddenly begins to increase at a faster rate...

Just another one of those updates (like the achievement capes) that seemed awesome at the time, but would go on to have negative long-term effects on the game.

• Like 2

77yLQy8.png

I have nex sets and I never gambled.

Sorry that you want everything given to you for free, but that's not how this game works.

That you use gwd rather than nex armour is your choice, not your fate.

I don't go around IRL complaining about not being able to afford a Ferrari with a part time min wage job. Some things may just be out of reach or not worth the time for you, and you have to accept that.

The point was, in the past you basically needed top-level gear that costed billions and required countless hours of grinding to obtain, in order to be capable of Nexing for money.

I don't think anybody's complaining about the current state of Nex and her drops. Just the sheer lack of balance prior to EOC.

77yLQy8.png