Microtransactions

muggiwhplar

For the time that I put in, I didn't.

You probably had fun doing it so it feels it doesn't take that long, which gives a bad impression of gp/h.

Are you looking at it as the time you put in during and after the release of the GWD relative to other sources of income during that time?

Personally, I had become inactive during the GWD release and so on so I'm merely speaking from an outside point of view. However, from what I learned from friends, the GWD was a massive source of income in 3+ groups. In my clan (before it kicked the bucket), there were friends who made several hundred million in a few short months. I know one who bought at least a handful of partyhats merely from the GWD income. I know of no other means in RS during that time where one could make hundreds of millions outside of grinding out nature runes or merchanting in a similar timespan. Again, I was inactive during the 2007 era, so I'm not sure what I missed and if there were indeed better ways of making money.

ozXHe7P.png

I have nex sets and I never gambled.

I also had Nex sets immediately after their release last year(when they were worth far more than they are now) without gambling. That's beside the point. This isn't about whether I or you can personally afford things, it's about economics and game incentives at a macro level. It's also about the present state of things, which are different from what they were in the past when people could reasonably afford these things.

Sorry that you want everything given to you for free, but that's not how this game works.

[edit:harsh Ad-hominem/tone rescinded]

I have never suggested anything of the sort that players should be given free stuff, I challenge you to provide evidence of your claim. On the contrary, I specifically stated that I wanted high-end gear to be "challenging to get", yet not "nonsensically ridiculous", which is not the same as free things in any reasonable dictionary. Also, I resent the condescending implication of your statement.

I don't go around IRL complaining about not being able to afford a Ferrari with a part time min wage job. Some things may just be out of reach or not worth the time for you, and you have to accept that.

As I have already demonstrated, this is not about "free-stuff" so that's a complete distraction. It's about a sane economic structure and proper incentives/rewards for high-levels. This is also not about giving poor people or lower-level people things for free, it's about giving high-level players what should rightfully be their reward for having spent so much time and effort in the game. No real-world economy that I know of is structured purely on "luck" as the RS economy. If in a real life economy it was established that the only way to climb the social ladder, even for hard-working or intelligent people(in RS the analogue would be High Level players) was to gamble, play the stock market, or pure luck, you'd have social discontent pretty quickly, which is precisely what's happened in RS. So your example fails pretty hard there. People are asking for a meritocratic RS where people who actually take the time to level their skills, engage with the content and put in their time be properly rewarded -- that this is apparently upsetting to you is only indicative of a delusional outlook. There's nothing absurd about what I or, others such as Muggi or Ginger have said in this thread.

I don't go around IRL complaining about not being able to afford a Ferrari with a part time min wage job. Some things may just be out of reach or not worth the time for you, and you have to accept that.

Well let me spin this full circle then. Many of the arguments against RWT is the fact that it creates an unfair advantage for those who are more rich/successful in the real world. Are you suggesting that those who have more time to play this game have an unfair advantage?

The problem with Runescape is that everything is exponential, except for xp/hr and gp/hr. This creates the grind that we all know and love. This is fine for your average 12-16 year old who has all the time in the world to waste their life in front of a computer screen. The rest of us aren't as time rich, however.

With that said, and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I am a young engineer with a very lucrative job and career. I could spend 200hr on runescape trying to obtain my goal, or I could use the money that earn from my job, which is earned in 2 hours.

For this very reason, I understand why people bot and rwt. I just want some armor. I would understand if the process of getting that armor is fun like it is many other games, but that just isn't the case in runescape.

w4M8t.png

Right clicked summon button and to my great dismay I glimpsed this:

hq0WT.png

As if we didn't have enough options there already. Thank you microtransactions.

• Like 2

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Right clicked summon button and to my great dismay I glimpsed this:

hq0WT.png

As if we didn't have enough options there already. Thank you microtransactions.

My thoughts were precisely the same when I found out about this. Why is my interface so idiotically clunky now?

• Like 1

3/4 of those new pet options could just be incorporated into the already present familiar options couldn't they?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Well let me spin this full circle then. Many of the arguments against RWT is the fact that it creates an unfair advantage for those who are more rich/successful in the real world. Are you suggesting that those who have more time to play this game have an unfair advantage?

Of course not, that's just a real life example.

The problem with Runescape is that everything is exponential, except for xp/hr and gp/hr. This creates the grind that we all know and love. This is fine for your average 12-16 year old who has all the time in the world to waste their life in front of a computer screen. The rest of us aren't as time rich, however.

With that said, and I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I am a young engineer with a very lucrative job and career. I could spend 200hr on runescape trying to obtain my goal, or I could use the money that earn from my job, which is earned in 2 hours.

For this very reason, I understand why people bot and rwt. I just want some armor. I would understand if the process of getting that armor is fun like it is many other games, but that just isn't the case in runescape.

I'm curious - why do you feel the need to spend hundreds of hours grinding (or spending money other than membership) when you don't enjoy it? I enjoyed playing on any level, be it in 2007 with 1800 total and a 20m bank or now with maxed total and a 1b+ bank (closer to 2-3b as I've lost a lot of money on crashing gear last year).

Some people feel that they have to have the best armour/levels and whatnot in order to enjoy the game, which isn't true.

I have never suggested anything of the sort that players should be given free stuff, I challenge you to provide evidence of your claim. On the contrary, I specifically stated that I wanted high-end gear to be "challenging to get", yet not "nonsensically ridiculous", which is not the same as free things in any reasonable dictionary. Also, I resent the condescending implication of your statement.

A few dozen hours (let's start slow with one nex item because everyone upgrades one by one) is not 'ridiculous'. Sorry for the language, but your and ginger warriors posts pretty much feel like 'bwaaahh i dont wanna grind x but i dont have y this is unfair!!!'

As I have already demonstrated, this is not about "free-stuff" so that's a complete distraction. It's about a sane economic structure and proper incentives/rewards for high-levels. This is also not about giving poor people or lower-level people things for free, it's about giving high-level players what should rightfully be their reward for having spent so much time and effort in the game. No real-world economy that I know of is structured purely on "luck" as the RS economy. If in a real life economy it was established that the only way to climb the social ladder, even for hard-working or intelligent people(in RS the analogue would be High Level players) was to gamble, play the stock market, or pure luck, you'd have social discontent pretty quickly, which is precisely what's happened in RS. So your example fails pretty hard there. People are asking for a meritocratic RS where people who actually take the time to level their skills, engage with the content and put in their time be properly rewarded -- that this is apparently upsetting to you is only indicative of a delusional outlook. There's nothing absurd about what I or, others such as Muggi or Ginger have said in this thread.

There is no such thing as luck in the long term.