Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Sign in to follow this  
Hawks

I know nothing about Steam, is this normal?

I am stupid and opened task manager, ended it, uninstalled and reinstalled [b/c it kept not responding when I opened it]. It is now updating. Prior request for noob's guide to Steam still stands.

[hide=blahblah]I bought Scribblenauts Unlimited from Amazon because it was $7.50 and I had gift cards. I needed to get Steam to download it, so I did, and it appears to be stuck like this now:

1zv8u20.png

Is this what it normally would do? It appears to be doing something because of the yellow bar thing but I have no idea. My account is created, but I don't have the icon in the system tray. The window that's open looks like this:

Edit: Clicking next accomplishes nothing as noted in my reply below.

2hwkylw.png

I do have fairly slow internet, but I picked the right one (I think) whilst installing Steam.

Basically, what is it doing, and when can I start downloading my game? A guide for complete newbs to Steam would be helpful too if you happen to have one lying around.[/hide]

Have you tried y'know actually clicking next?

It ought to close out the setup wizard type element and open normal steam. As for the progress bar, that usually means a download is running so I'd guess whilst your staring at a screen with a next button not knowing what to do it's started downloading the game your bought or some free sample games.

It only appears in the system tray when the steam window is not open, the fact you have it open is why it's not there.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Sorry, forgot to mention, clicking next doesn't accomplish anything, it's as if the button is not actually functional, just goes in/out like buttons tend to do.

Edit: And I can't click anything else but minimize.

Can you go into the task manager and kill steam, then try relaunching it?

hzvjpwS.gif

If you get Steam loaded up. Click 'view' in the toolbar at the top and then Downloads. It should tell you if it's still downloading and working.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

If you get the Steam not responding issue when you start it, the fix is to open Steam, but do not touch your computer until it fully loads.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!