Og Blog: Upcoming Changes to the EoC

fishy227

We’re almost finished with our latest batch of changes to the EoC, focusing on the issues I described in my last Og Blog.

The changes below are certainly not the final changes we will be making to the EoC as a whole, and the specific ones below will be monitored carefully to ensure they have had the desired impact.

In order to make sure that the below changes are well integrated into the existing game - and, in particular, the upcoming Kalphite King launch - we're not unleashing him just yet. The Kalphite King update will happen on the 14th, at the same time as these changes, to ensure that it's the well-balanced - not to mention brutally challenging - boss fight that you deserve.

Change to the Offensive Capabilities of High-Level Bosses

As mentioned in my last Og Blog, we've noticed that several of the more profitable bosses in the game are being killed by players of a lower level than we had originally intended, and using lower-levelled gear than we had predicted. To address this, we will be significantly increasing the offensive capabilities of these NPCs, meaning that higher levels and better gear will be needed to efficiently take down those opponents. Creatures affected will include the God Wars bosses and the Corporeal Beast, to name a few.

Change to the Defensive Value of Armour

At the moment, the difference between, say, level 70 and level 80 gear isn’t great enough to matter for standard combat training and boss hunting. Understandably, this means that people aren’t investing in the best gear available to them. We are changing that.

The defensive values of armour will now be plotted on an exponential curve rather than a linear one. At higher levels, the difference between sequential armour pieces will be far greater and, therefore, will make a far more noticeable difference in combat. It will also better match the upward curve of XP required to progress through those higher levels, making the highest-level gear optimal for battling your way to 99!

Strength Boosts and Set Effects

We will be adding individual strength boosts to all Torva, Pernix and Virtus gear, and a few other items like the Bandos Chestplate. The 'Nex gear' will also have an additional strength bonus in the form of a set effect. The above three areas of change will mean that higher combat levels and higher levels of gear will be needed to defeat powerful NPC opponents.

Healing Effects of Abilities

We are reducing the effectiveness of the Regeneration and Rejuvenation abilities. We noticed that less food was being taken into battle than before because the healing values of these abilities were stronger than we had anticipated. To address this, we will be increasing the cooldown on the Rejuvenate ability to 5 minutes (making it an infrequent, emergency heal) and reducing the effect of Regenerate by 20%.

This - along with the changes to defensive armour, bosses and strength boosts - will mean that more food will be needed in battle.

This is intended to stabilise the value of these items on the GE in the short-term, and to increase their value in the long-term.

Chaotic Add-On for Dragon Claws

We will be adding a new piece of chaotic gear in the form of chaotic claws. These claws will be slightly different to existing chaotic equipment in that you’ll need to mount the claws onto an existing dragon claw weapon – both the off-hand and main-hand pieces. To compensate for this additional cost, the Dungeoneering token cost of the chaotic add-on will be significantly lower than equivalent chaotic gear. At a faster attack speed, and with increased crit chance, the chaotic claws will be formidable tools to use.

Upcoming Content Updates

The planned Kalphite King and the Ranged Slayer dungeons will both require the very best equipment for effectively fighting the foes found within. Buy up some awesome gear now to avoid disappointment!

The Next Game Update

The next game update will, therefore, be in the week starting 14th January. During that week - a combat bonanza of epic proportions - we will add the Kalphite King (the toughest monster ever!), Hati and Sköll, as well as a huge list of player-recommended changes to the rest of the game.

Thanks for reading. As always, I look forward to reading your thoughts on the forums. Let us know what you think about the above changes!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Design Director

xSoulgazer

Elysian Sigil ---- 11/24/10 ---- 550M

"Buy up some awesome gear now to avoid disappointment!"

Really?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Back to everyone running around in steroid-suits looking for best strength bonuses I guess.

• Like 1

So basically this update now makes the rich get richer and poor gets poor...

• Like 6

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

what is this... i don't even...

Of all the chaotics they could have added warhammer/spear/2h/wand they add another stab or slash, or whatever claws are now.

And why did they just mention bandos chest instead of saying all gw gear will get bonus's? Are they purposely gutting their own attempt to balance the combat triangle.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

XMtQZ.png

150% to prices in one half hour is Mmg's idea of a stable economy.

Edit: Just realized they are fixing things like claws when we have things like Dominion Gloves which are actually high level things but suck and are almost never worth using. Even more mad now.

Chaotic Claws are kinda a nice sly move by Jagex, they solve 2 issues in 1:

1) Re-value d claws make TDs more worthwhile

2) Patch the issue of cls being average vs whip/ee fast which made dual cls 2nd best slash for dual setups.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

ovzTJ.png

Bought that literally 2 minutes after the announcement. ~1140m spent

238+238(tplates)+97(chaps)+120+120(virtus top)+145+145(tlegs)+155+155(pernix top) = 1,413

These are the current prices (in millions). Best day ever. And they're rising fast too.

Regarding the announcement itself, it was about time. Bosses are incredibly stupidly easy as it is.

• Like 1

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

haven't seen this much backpedaling since the reverse unicycling race of '87

dragon claws should have never been a sacred institution :/

"we value higher level equipment but we're going to just, i don't know, cause prices of lower level equipment to jack up significantly and increase the difficulty of the source, making it difficult for players of that level to purchase any gear at all"

they're backpedaling WHILE they're backpedaling

can't have your cake while on a unicycle, jagex

• Like 6

8f14270694.jpg

ovzTJ.png

Bought that literally 2 minutes after the announcement. ~1140m spent

238+238(tplates)+97(chaps)+120+120(virtus top)+145+145(tlegs)+155+155(pernix top) = 1,413

These are the current prices (in millions). Best day ever. And they're rising fast too.

Regarding the announcement itself, it was about time. Bosses are incredibly stupidly easy as it is.

I love how they merely have to whisper "set effects" even if they already said it before, and everyone will go nuts and buy everything.

words

do

not

describe

the

levels

of

mad.

I sold nex items due to crash, and now am struck high and dry with 550m bank from 1.5b... and now they raise it back up? i hate you jagex.

This is the problem, they're trying to help people like you who genuinely lost money but instead they're stabbing you in the back. They should have just left well enough alone and let nex items come to their natural low price.

• Like 1

Very poor decision making.

Just cause a bunch of dicer clowns on youtube cry about losing money on their gear is no reason screw around price fixing things.

When they came out with the grand exchange they promised that the prices were the players to decide.

Now they are price fixing things with updates and excluding content from a large swath of their player base.

I mean how stupid can you get.

You want more players, new players, yet you tilt the game to hardcore no-lifers, dicers, and rwters.

God save the queen, torva, and runescape...

• Like 7

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

thing is

even if nex gear is going to be "zerker" sets

if the exponential curve and set effect makes pop armor strong enough, it's not going to matter anyway

what we need right now is filling out of combat style abilities and equipment (ranged boots for all tiers, dual casting abilities and weapon availability, dual ranging abilities, offhand throwing weapons at all tiers and maybe two handed throwing weapons?), not market speculation

8f14270694.jpg

Doesn't the increased critical hit chance for claws make it better than dual wield CLS? If so, what was the point in EoC, which in general terms was an attempt to make DPS uniform across a whole tier?

The fact dragon claws are more expensive is an irrelevance, certain weapons have always cost more than their same-leveled counterparts. You can't make an update because you feel sorry for dragon claw owners who lost a lot of money. That's not rational decision making at all.

This promotes elitism, doesn't it?

Forcing you to get better gear (which 98% of active RS still can't afford, even though probably 50% DO have the stats for it (PS: Percentages totally pulled from my own ass)) for bosses whose drops will be less desirable?

Whatever happened to the mantra that inspired EoC in the first place? "We don't want to force people to use Overloads and/or Turmoil to be able to boss", only to then force Nex sets onto people.

• Like 10

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

I believe ports armour was confirmed to get a set effect too?

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted