Player-Owned Ports: Voyage Calculator

Xena_Dragon

Veiva's calculator?

The latest update seems to have made the calculator quite a bit slower than before; freezing FF for longer. Also scrolling the page has become laggy for some reason; or did my update to FF18 cause that? I have also noticed a problem with the ship parts being checked. I calculated the setup for a voyage requiring 11k Moral, which (as expected) showed the "Eastern artefacts" with a orange/yellow-ish background. Then (without any other changes), I calculated the setup for a 13k Seafaring mission, and the "Ornate rigging" was shown with the orange/yellow-ish background; however the "Eastern artefacts" were still in the same colour. Possible bug?

~ Fireball0236

EDIT: I've noticed the same bug in FF17. Other than that, the page does seem a tad laggier too in FF17, tho not as much as in FF18; same for the duration of calculating the setup.

The latest update seems to have made the calculator quite a bit slower than before; freezing FF for longer. Also scrolling the page has become laggy for some reason; or did my update to FF18 cause that? I have also noticed a problem with the ship parts being checked. I calculated the setup for a voyage requiring 11k Moral, which (as expected) showed the "Eastern artefacts" with a orange/yellow-ish background. Then (without any other changes), I calculated the setup for a 13k Seafaring mission, and the "Ornate rigging" was shown with the orange/yellow-ish background; however the "Eastern artefacts" were still in the same colour. Possible bug?

~ Fireball0236

EDIT: I've noticed the same bug in FF17. Other than that, the page does seem a tad laggier too in FF17, tho not as much as in FF18; same for the duration of calculating the setup.

The issues you mention should have been fixed with today's second update of the calculator. Make sure you refresh the page to make sure you have the latest version loaded.

Xena_Dragon.png

Is it possible to add a downloadable version of this script or does it have to be Tip.it itself? Currently No-script on Firefox (my primary browser) blocks much of the script even though Tip.it is on the whitelist... while the checkboxes and others seem to be a bit funky on Chrome.

I use noscript myself, but am not being blocked at all. If tip.it is unblocked then it should all just work. I've also tested the calculator in Chrome, but found nothing 'funky' there. Perhaps you can explain in more detail what does not seem to be working for you?

As for your suggestions: Both forcing a merchant (or whatever crew member you prefer) and the ship effects are on the to-do list. Ship speed is on the back-burner as speed still seems to be quite bugged in-game.

Xena_Dragon.png

I know they are 2 different calculators, but could you maybe merge the timers and the crew calc together. The timer doesn't take much place, and it would be easier then switching between them (or switching between tabs).

Maybe even automate if a timer ends, the ship will free the crew in the calculator.

Minor bug in the calculator:

When calculating the stat boosts based on which shipwright, the additional bonus from the higher shipwrights is additive, not multiplicative.

I.e. for the nautical shipwright, the bonus should be 1.03 for morale, 1.03 for combat, and 1.05 for seafaring, not 1.0506 for seafaring.

Proof:

Here's a screenshot of one of my current voyages: k2F5z.png

and here is the output of my program (which, incidentally, is much faster than this JS one) used to pick that voyage setup:

Input stats for which to search:

0 0 10500

Bonus: Item(1.03,1.03,1.05,1.03,,0)

Best result has a 100.70% chance: Item(1792.2,2214.5,10573.5,2157.85,,0)

Best item1: ornate rigging with stats 0.00 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1050.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed.

Best item2: ornate rigging with stats 0.00 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1050.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed.

Best captain: anne skulltaker with stats 674.65 Morale, 1266.90 Combat, 624.75 Seafaring, and 612.85 Speed.

Best ram: battle ram with stats 0.00 Morale, 515.00 Combat, 0.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed.

Best hull: hull of storms with stats 412.00 Morale, 412.00 Combat, 945.00 Seafaring, and 309.00 Speed.

Best crew:

sea witch with stats 612.85 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1349.25 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed

cartographer with stats 51.50 Morale, 10.30 Combat, 1349.25 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed

cartographer with stats 10.30 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1338.75 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed

cartographer with stats 20.60 Morale, 10.30 Combat, 1428.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed

cartographer with stats 10.30 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1438.50 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed

(All my numbers there already have the bonus multiplied in to save some computation)

You can calculate that by hand to see that it matches up with the stats in the picture.

If the bonus were instead 1.0506, then the result would be

Best result has a 100.76% chance: Item(1792.2,2214.5,10579.5,2157.85,,0), a difference of 6 in seafaring.

This is very minor, but still incorrect.

• We should be able to enter ALL the voyages on offer (stating which special missions are mutually exclusive) and the calculator work out the best setups, given our criteria, for four voyages (this obviously includes at least one special voyage), three voyages, two voyages and one voyage. In addition, something to consider would be a box by each voyage to type in the success rate below which you just won't do it, so it can automatically skip showing you a terrible result which you definitely won't like!

As it stands, you can, for example, easily send off two voyages at 100%, but then be left with something at 55%. It would be extremely useful to calculate for all voyages at once and know you can send out three at, say, 85% at least, even before seeing what new voyages appear as you send them off. The reason for giving it for four voyages AND three etc. is that if the calculator gives you four voyages at 60%, you can decide against that and look at three and see that it's something like 90% and go with that.

Sorry to be so demanding, but perhaps consider it a challenge?

That's not computationally feasible. For just 2 ships, if you have 3 captains and 23 crew, there are just over 5 trillion possible combinations to check (5044177841472 to be exact). You could cut that down somewhat by throwing out voyages that don't do better than say 80% for one goal, but that still leaves billions of combinations to check, which simply takes too much time.

For reference, 1 ship with 3 captains and 23 crew has around 5 million combinations. This takes my browser about 5 seconds to calculate, so that's about a million per second. A billion combinations for 2 ships would then take about 1000 seconds, or about 16 minutes. I don't know about you, but I don't want to wait 16 minutes for the computer to tell me something that will save a few percent on the voyage.

Thanks for your input; I did think it sounded like a considerably bigger job, but not that much!

Of course, those numbers are assuming you're just doing a naive brute force of all possible combinations. It might very well be possible to be smarter about it by weighting different crew/captain/items/etc. depending on the goal (i.e. if the goal is for 10000 morale, guys with 0 morale would get weighted a lot less than guys with 1000 morale, so use all the guys with 1000 morale first, then consider the rest etc.), allowing the optimal result to be found sooner. However, this would be a lot more complicated to code, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Not sure if this is the right place to post it but i lost all stats i entered into the calculator over night. I downgraded to java6 yesterday and could use the calculator as usual after but since this morning every field was cleared. Is there any idea why that happened and is it possible to restore the stats again?

Not sure if this is the right place to post it but i lost all stats i entered into the calculator over night. I downgraded to java6 yesterday and could use the calculator as usual after but since this morning every field was cleared. Is there any idea why that happened and is it possible to restore the stats again?

Java and the voyage calculator have no relation to each other at all. It might be that a downgrade to Java 6 messed with the local storage in your browser, but that would seriously surprise me.

As for the lost data; there's no way to retrieve that at this point in time. You will have to re-enter your data. I'm working on adding a save and load feature to the calculator, but cannot give an estimate on when that will be released.

Xena_Dragon.png

Minor bug in the calculator:

When calculating the stat boosts based on which shipwright, the additional bonus from the higher shipwrights is additive, not multiplicative.

I.e. for the nautical shipwright, the bonus should be 1.03 for morale, 1.03 for combat, and 1.05 for seafaring, not 1.0506 for seafaring.

... snip ...

This is very minor, but still incorrect.

Thanks for the detailed report. I've updated the calculator with this, and added you to the credits. :)

Xena_Dragon.png

The calculator now supports saving and loading of all entered data. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the new feature.

You can use this to:

• Share data across multiple browsers.
  • Share data across multiple PC's.
  • Save and load data for multiple RuneScape accounts.

Enjoy! :)

Xena_Dragon.png

First off, awesome job with the calc and ALL the updates that have been made to it.

I have noticed that occasionally, seafaring does not match up with Runescape's calculation. Right now, the calc is showing 2040 on a journey that Runescape shows as only 1825. I've triple checked that I've got the crew data entered properly, but cannot see where the difference is coming in.

Here's my data (listing only lvl, seafaring and traits):

Captain (1): 110 (second row, 1st column)

Eastern Overseer (5): 190 Solidarity (5r, 2c)

Eastern Guide (4): 520 (4r, 3c)

Eastern Bannerman (5): 0 (5r, 3c)

Exploding Golem (5): 0 Staunch (3r, 5c)

Cyclops (5): 20 Rallying Cry (3r, 2c)

This was on a 2000/2000/2000 trip, so there was obviously a need for Morale and Combat, otherwise I'd just pick all Seafaring.

I'm trying to see which crew is involved in the disparity to clear things up. I'm including the cells these crew are positioned in the calc.

First off, awesome job with the calc and ALL the updates that have been made to it.

I have noticed that occasionally, seafaring does not match up with Runescape's calculation. Right now, the calc is showing 2040 on a journey that Runescape shows as only 1825. I've triple checked that I've got the crew data entered properly, but cannot see where the difference is coming in.

This was on a 2000/2000/2000 trip, so there was obviously a need for Morale and Combat, otherwise I'd just pick all Seafaring.

I'm trying to see which crew is involved in the disparity to clear things up. I'm including the cells these crew are positioned in the calc.

That's not really enough data to get the full picture. Could you post

a.) The deck items/hulls/rams/etc. you have

b.) The full stats of the crew/captain you're using

c.) A screenshot of the Runescape interface showing the values for each stat.

d.) Are you using any effects?

Thanks!

And today's update adds Ration Packs, Powder Kegs and Seasinger's Bottled Cries to the equation.

What else is on the menu to be added?

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

What else is on the menu to be added?

We're currently looking into sorting options, like sorting per ship (assuming crew members have been assigned to ships) and sorting by combat/morale/seafaring/total. Including speed is still on the back-burner as the results of various speed enhancements are still quite unpredictable.

Xena_Dragon.png

Any chance of an option to force in a Merchant in your team?

To be honest, I'd rather take a Barmaid's tip with 92% and a Merchant than a 100% Barmaid's tip without.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

That's not really enough data to get the full picture. Could you post

a.) The deck items/hulls/rams/etc. you have

b.) The full stats of the crew/captain you're using

c.) A screenshot of the Runescape interface showing the values for each stat.

d.) Are you using any effects?

Thanks!

Oops, yeah. Boat stats would effect that. 8^/

a) I've got up to Reinforced Ram, Cannon x2, Golden Hull and Refitted Shipwright.

b) The Captain stats are M:140, C:240, S:120 and Lvl 1.

c) I'll grab screen shots if/when it happens again.

d) No effects. I try and hit 100% naturally. If I can't make it, I start looking at any upgrades / crew I can purchase. If it doesn't help me, I don't buy it.