Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Player-Owned Ports: Voyage Calculator

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Octarine
[ Display Name History ]

Octarine

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Octarine
  • RSN2:Octarune
  • Clan:Primacy

A useful feature would be the ability to 'save' and 'load' the crew and ship information to and from a plain text format. I play RuneScape both on my desktop and laptop, and it is annoying having to keep the stats up to date on both computers. This would be so much easier if I could edit the stats on one computer, then request a textual version of those stats, and load those into the other computer.

Many thanks for the calculator, it is a great help!

~ Fireball0236

If you use chrome and sign in on both it might be able to transfer it across. I'm not sure how in-depth the information thats carried across is though.

Blog of DG, Bossing (mostly Glacors) and stuff - Runetrack

Posted Image
Play Safe! Posted Image - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

fireball0236
[ Display Name History ]

fireball0236

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
Unfortunately my browser of choice is Firefox, and I'd rather not manually mess with cookies. I assume everything is already stored in plain text in the cookie anyhow?

~ Fireball0236

First Mate Alex
[ Display Name History ]

First Mate Alex

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
Heya,

i just discovered the Pop Voyage Calculator and think its really a great tool! While i personally like switching crew around and trying to find a good setup myself it may still help a lot with the really difficult multi-skill voyages and its also a great overview to keep track of crew and allows figuring next journeys out while ships are sailing.

One thing i feel that is missing and would be great to be included in future versions is speed.

I think this would mean adding a speed value to crew members, then two checkboxes for area (for example scythe region) and if its a normal voyage (storyline, usual region related goods) or long voyage (scrolls, trade goods).

Then for the calculator it would be nice to have at least 2 options like "only optimise speed with 100% success rate" or "maximise speed first, then calculate best success rate" maybe a 3rd option to try to find a good result for speed and stats treating them as equally important. An advanced version could maybe also offer the option to set up a minimum success rate that should be reached (for example 90%+) before making optimising speed a priority.

Thank you again for the great calculator! Will use it regularly for setting up journeys from now on :)

Xena_Dragon
[ Display Name History ]

Xena_Dragon

Coder

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Xena Dragon

A useful feature would be the ability to 'save' and 'load' the crew and ship information to and from a plain text format. I play RuneScape both on my desktop and laptop, and it is annoying having to keep the stats up to date on both computers. This would be so much easier if I could edit the stats on one computer, then request a textual version of those stats, and load those into the other computer.

Many thanks for the calculator, it is a great help!

~ Fireball0236

If you use chrome and sign in on both it might be able to transfer it across. I'm not sure how in-depth the information thats carried across is though.

Nope, that won't work. Chrome does not support transfer of this data.

The calculator data is stored in what is called Local Storage. It's a bit like cookies, but has some advantages: You can store much more data than you can in cookies, and the data is not sent between client and server at every request. It only resides, and stays, on the user's PC. This also means that Local Storage cannot (or not easily) be transferred from one browser to another. I'm looking into ways of synchronizing the calculator's data by uploading it from PC to a database, and then downloading that data to another PC but that's still in the how-shall-I-actually-do-that phase. Until then, I'm afraid you'll have to enter your data on more than one PC if you happen to use more than one...

Xena_Dragon.png

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • RSN:The Warrior
Is it possible to add a downloadable version of this script or does it have to be Tip.it itself? Currently No-script on Firefox (my primary browser) blocks much of the script even though Tip.it is on the whitelist... while the checkboxes and others seem to be a bit funky on Chrome. Additionally, if possible:

- Add an option to force-set a crewmember onto a voyage, or add a checkbox to "Forcefully add a merchant"
- The random event effects need to be added (though I assume they will be?)
- Add an option to calculate speed

Until then, Imma stick to Veiva's calculator.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

Stats and logs

fireball0236
[ Display Name History ]

fireball0236

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
Veiva's calculator?

The latest update seems to have made the calculator quite a bit slower than before; freezing FF for longer. Also scrolling the page has become laggy for some reason; or did my update to FF18 cause that? I have also noticed a problem with the ship parts being checked. I calculated the setup for a voyage requiring 11k Moral, which (as expected) showed the "Eastern artefacts" with a orange/yellow-ish background. Then (without any other changes), I calculated the setup for a 13k Seafaring mission, and the "Ornate rigging" was shown with the orange/yellow-ish background; however the "Eastern artefacts" were still in the same colour. Possible bug?

~ Fireball0236

EDIT: I've noticed the same bug in FF17. Other than that, the page does seem a tad laggier too in FF17, tho not as much as in FF18; same for the duration of calculating the setup.

Xena_Dragon
[ Display Name History ]

Xena_Dragon

Coder

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

The latest update seems to have made the calculator quite a bit slower than before; freezing FF for longer. Also scrolling the page has become laggy for some reason; or did my update to FF18 cause that? I have also noticed a problem with the ship parts being checked. I calculated the setup for a voyage requiring 11k Moral, which (as expected) showed the "Eastern artefacts" with a orange/yellow-ish background. Then (without any other changes), I calculated the setup for a 13k Seafaring mission, and the "Ornate rigging" was shown with the orange/yellow-ish background; however the "Eastern artefacts" were still in the same colour. Possible bug?

~ Fireball0236

EDIT: I've noticed the same bug in FF17. Other than that, the page does seem a tad laggier too in FF17, tho not as much as in FF18; same for the duration of calculating the setup.

The issues you mention should have been fixed with today's second update of the calculator. Make sure you refresh the page to make sure you have the latest version loaded.

Xena_Dragon.png

Xena_Dragon
[ Display Name History ]

Xena_Dragon

Coder

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Is it possible to add a downloadable version of this script or does it have to be Tip.it itself? Currently No-script on Firefox (my primary browser) blocks much of the script even though Tip.it is on the whitelist... while the checkboxes and others seem to be a bit funky on Chrome.

I use noscript myself, but am not being blocked at all. If tip.it is unblocked then it should all just work. I've also tested the calculator in Chrome, but found nothing 'funky' there. Perhaps you can explain in more detail what does not seem to be working for you?

As for your suggestions: Both forcing a merchant (or whatever crew member you prefer) and the ship effects are on the to-do list. Ship speed is on the back-burner as speed still seems to be quite bugged in-game.

Xena_Dragon.png

Aevitas
[ Display Name History ]

Aevitas

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the quick-add ship edits.

Xena_Dragon
[ Display Name History ]

Xena_Dragon

Coder

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
I've just finished another update on the calculator. You can now use drag&drop to rearrange crew and captains. As always; refresh the calculator page to make sure you have the most recent version loaded :)

Xena_Dragon.png

Aevitas
[ Display Name History ]

Aevitas

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 13 posts
I know they are 2 different calculators, but could you maybe merge the timers and the crew calc together. The timer doesn't take much place, and it would be easier then switching between them (or switching between tabs).

Maybe even automate if a timer ends, the ship will free the crew in the calculator.

Old McAlphy
[ Display Name History ]

Old McAlphy

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • RSN:Old McAlphy
Oh wow, thanks for the updates! Keep at it, it's really much appreciated.
(Plus, is my last suggestion on the previous page actually feasible; I don't want to get my hopes up unnecessarily?)

muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
[ Display Name History ]

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
Minor bug in the calculator:

When calculating the stat boosts based on which shipwright, the additional bonus from the higher shipwrights is additive, not multiplicative.

I.e. for the nautical shipwright, the bonus should be 1.03 for morale, 1.03 for combat, and 1.05 for seafaring, not 1.0506 for seafaring.

Proof:

Here's a screenshot of one of my current voyages: Posted Image

and here is the output of my program (which, incidentally, is much faster than this JS one) used to pick that voyage setup:

Input stats for which to search:
0 0 10500
Bonus: Item(1.03,1.03,1.05,1.03,,0)
Best result has a 100.70% chance: Item(1792.2,2214.5,10573.5,2157.85,,0)
Best item1: ornate rigging with stats 0.00 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1050.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed.
Best item2: ornate rigging with stats 0.00 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1050.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed.
Best captain: anne skulltaker with stats 674.65 Morale, 1266.90 Combat, 624.75 Seafaring, and 612.85 Speed.
Best ram: battle ram with stats 0.00 Morale, 515.00 Combat, 0.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed.
Best hull: hull of storms with stats 412.00 Morale, 412.00 Combat, 945.00 Seafaring, and 309.00 Speed.
Best crew:
sea witch with stats 612.85 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1349.25 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed
cartographer with stats 51.50 Morale, 10.30 Combat, 1349.25 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed
cartographer with stats 10.30 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1338.75 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed
cartographer with stats 20.60 Morale, 10.30 Combat, 1428.00 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed
cartographer with stats 10.30 Morale, 0.00 Combat, 1438.50 Seafaring, and 0.00 Speed

(All my numbers there already have the bonus multiplied in to save some computation)
You can calculate that by hand to see that it matches up with the stats in the picture.

If the bonus were instead 1.0506, then the result would be
Best result has a 100.76% chance: Item(1792.2,2214.5,10579.5,2157.85,,0), a difference of 6 in seafaring.

This is very minor, but still incorrect.

[ Display Name History ]

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts

• We should be able to enter ALL the voyages on offer (stating which special missions are mutually exclusive) and the calculator work out the best setups, given our criteria, for four voyages (this obviously includes at least one special voyage), three voyages, two voyages and one voyage. In addition, something to consider would be a box by each voyage to type in the success rate below which you just won't do it, so it can automatically skip showing you a terrible result which you definitely won't like!
As it stands, you can, for example, easily send off two voyages at 100%, but then be left with something at 55%. It would be extremely useful to calculate for all voyages at once and know you can send out three at, say, 85% at least, even before seeing what new voyages appear as you send them off. The reason for giving it for four voyages AND three etc. is that if the calculator gives you four voyages at 60%, you can decide against that and look at three and see that it's something like 90% and go with that.

Sorry to be so demanding, but perhaps consider it a challenge?

That's not computationally feasible. For just 2 ships, if you have 3 captains and 23 crew, there are just over 5 trillion possible combinations to check (5044177841472 to be exact). You could cut that down somewhat by throwing out voyages that don't do better than say 80% for one goal, but that still leaves billions of combinations to check, which simply takes too much time.

For reference, 1 ship with 3 captains and 23 crew has around 5 million combinations. This takes my browser about 5 seconds to calculate, so that's about a million per second. A billion combinations for 2 ships would then take about 1000 seconds, or about 16 minutes. I don't know about you, but I don't want to wait 16 minutes for the computer to tell me something that will save a few percent on the voyage.

Old McAlphy
[ Display Name History ]

Old McAlphy

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • RSN:Old McAlphy
Thanks for your input; I did think it sounded like a considerably bigger job, but not that much!

First Mate Alex
[ Display Name History ]

First Mate Alex

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
Very nice updates! Thank you very much for the great work :)

[ Display Name History ]

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts

Thanks for your input; I did think it sounded like a considerably bigger job, but not that much!

Of course, those numbers are assuming you're just doing a naive brute force of all possible combinations. It might very well be possible to be smarter about it by weighting different crew/captain/items/etc. depending on the goal (i.e. if the goal is for 10000 morale, guys with 0 morale would get weighted a lot less than guys with 1000 morale, so use all the guys with 1000 morale first, then consider the rest etc.), allowing the optimal result to be found sooner. However, this would be a lot more complicated to code, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

First Mate Alex
[ Display Name History ]

First Mate Alex

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
Not sure if this is the right place to post it but i lost all stats i entered into the calculator over night. I downgraded to java6 yesterday and could use the calculator as usual after but since this morning every field was cleared. Is there any idea why that happened and is it possible to restore the stats again?

Xena_Dragon
[ Display Name History ]

Xena_Dragon

Coder

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Not sure if this is the right place to post it but i lost all stats i entered into the calculator over night. I downgraded to java6 yesterday and could use the calculator as usual after but since this morning every field was cleared. Is there any idea why that happened and is it possible to restore the stats again?

Java and the voyage calculator have no relation to each other at all. It might be that a downgrade to Java 6 messed with the local storage in your browser, but that would seriously surprise me.

As for the lost data; there's no way to retrieve that at this point in time. You will have to re-enter your data. I'm working on adding a save and load feature to the calculator, but cannot give an estimate on when that will be released.

Xena_Dragon.png

Xena_Dragon
[ Display Name History ]

Xena_Dragon

Coder

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Minor bug in the calculator:

When calculating the stat boosts based on which shipwright, the additional bonus from the higher shipwrights is additive, not multiplicative.

I.e. for the nautical shipwright, the bonus should be 1.03 for morale, 1.03 for combat, and 1.05 for seafaring, not 1.0506 for seafaring.

... snip ...

This is very minor, but still incorrect.

Thanks for the detailed report. I've updated the calculator with this, and added you to the credits. :)

Xena_Dragon.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users