2013: What's Coming and What's Going

Urza285

Are people still mad about EoC? It has its problems, but it's sure better than the old combat system. I'm glad to see him acknowledged the SoF screwup though, and it reads like they don't plan on expanding micro transactions from cosmetics and sof.

• Like 5

I think I have to echo the sentiment of cautious optimism. Especially when it comes to the fact they swore up and down that SoF/SGS would have minimal impact on the game. It wouldn't have been so bothersome if it hadn't been pushed so hard in our faces, and the rewards especially from SGS kept purely cosmetic. It's like they're trying to borrow elements from other games without borrowing the entire thing and ending up with a freakish amalgamation of broken updates.

I would really really like to see the bot issue nailed down. Oh and while they're at it, better handling of appeals. I've seen a good handful of friends get caught up unintentionally. Which is precisely one of the things they've said in the past was priority for them. To fine-tune their banhammers so as not to catch legitimate players by mistake.

Are people still mad about EoC? It has its problems, but it's sure better than the old combat system. I'm glad to see him acknowledged the SoF screwup though, and it reads like they don't plan on expanding micro transactions from cosmetics and sof.

Surely better than the old combat system?

The facts disagree. I went out to check out the popularity of various combat minigames. All are dead. album with pics -> http://imgur.com/a/0fP8Q

Pest Control died too.

• Like 2

They kind of alluded to the reality of the situation. The game is too old. 12 years of resource creation and content additions is taking it's toll. It might take near financial ruin for them to do it, but this game needs a massive reset.

What does this statement even mean? Vapid hysteria.

Let me elaborate, but I will start by saying I am far from hysteric. I don't worry about the inevitable, and I am getting excited to see what the future holds.

What I mean is that with each update in the last 12 years, usually something else that already existed in the game becomes completely unused. Just off the top of my head, the dragon chainbody. Once the peak of wealth and coolness, is now so unexciting that when I got it as a drop just screwing around at the KQ, my pulse didn't even increase. You never see people asking if anyone wants to go team the KQ, because I could solo about 25 kills without banking.

Now extend that rational out for 12 years. At this point there is sooooooooooooooo much content that is unused and outdated. A new player joins (maybe a kid just old enough for his parents to let him explore the internet) and it is all too overwhelming. Try to even imagine getting certain things done that require large amounts of people, but no one even does anymore.

There aren't many ways around it either. Jagex could start just wiping out old content and streamlining the race to the top. They could reduce the amount of worlds I guess so its not just 900 in all of them. But if they did these things just imagine what the hardcore base would say? "OMG YOU GOT RID OF THE AGILITY PYRAMID I WAS SO TOTALLY GOING TO USE THAT AGAIN ONE DAY!!!11!!"

So what does all that mean to me? Well I'm not entirely sure. It is Jagex game and it's their revenue stream to lose. If it were my company, I would have never let it get to this point. But lets say Jagex sold me the game for a dollar and I had to turn it around. I would probably start thinking hard about a third runescape to which people could transfer their accounts. It is extreme but in my eyes it will soon be time for extreme measures.

Dynastyfan0.png

With respect, that hasn't really answered my point. The KQ became redundant with the release of more profitable bosses. Are you suggesting Jagex shouldn't have bothered releasing new bosses into the game?

I agree more needs to be done to make bosses like the KQ more accessible to lower levels and also more profitable, without having the double problem of it being so attractive that higher levels crash it (who'd easily displace the lower levels). But you don't achieve that by keeping RuneScape in the middle ages and dreaming fondly of the good ol' times.

I didn't see them mention anything about shifting the game's focus from grinding to having fun.

We already know you don't like grind, you quit, fine. RS is a grinding-based game and if you don't like that you should find another. I have fun getting my levels, and the tougher the level the more fun it is to get. No matter how much people (including myself) may rage about how annoying some skills are, in the end we still like this game and that is in part because of the grind. Taking the grind away entirely is the last thing Jagex should do. Not that some things aren't too much (5k cw games) but in general it's fine.

• Like 6

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

The EoC beta (another first for RuneScape) had well over 4 months of your feedback' date=' with huge amounts of balancing and revision of the content. However, looking back this was clearly still not enough for such a big update. Despite the beta it's clear we didn't fully appreciate the extent to which everyone would have to adapt to the new gameplay.

Like any key part of the game, we will continue to refine the EoC for you. We have a team of developers dedicated to listening to your feedback and making the on-going improvements required.[/quote']

They're being slightly disingenuous there. They knew EoC wasn't ready when it was released--there were key problems that were visible to just about everyone--but it was too costly to keep the beta open and still maintain the same level of content development in the live version at the same time. I don't think that was necessarily a bad decision, but they're retrospectively justifying that position.

I still believe that if we hadn't shoved the whole of the public into the beta by force, people would have continued to not take it seriously and act as if it was an alternate Runescape where the horses lived and nothing bad would ever happen to their status quo. The result was that testing data was pretty much reduced to a trickle and there was no reason to continue supporting a beta that did not garner significantly more results without realtime data.
  • Like 5

8f14270694.jpg

Yeah, if you don't enjoy the challenge that comes from grinding type games, why are you playing a game that requires over 100 days of gametime to 'officially' complete with prior knowledge of the most efficient methods.

It should be pretty obvious from about level 70 in any stat just how grindy RS is.

I took that statement about preserving achievements to mean any future increases to xp/hr will be sensible - for example, 60k rc/hr at ZMI to 90k/hr at post-nerf Runespan would be a sensible increase based on the natural progression that all MMOs eventually take.

Changing defence from a 300k/hr skill pre-eoc (with no charms and minor loss of cash) to a 550k/hr skill with moderate charms and 2m/hr profit however, is hopefully the stupid kind of increase they'll avoid.

Asmodean <3

I took that statement about preserving achievements to mean any future increases to xp/hr will be sensible - for example, 60k rc/hr at ZMI to 90k/hr at post-nerf Runespan would be a sensible increase based on the natural progression that all MMOs eventually take.

What ZMI altar did you do that gave 60k xp/hr? :P

But on topic, I'm with most everyone else. This is going to sound like a hurt ex-girlfriend but I have seen this, and many more promises from Jagex to fix what I so desperately believe needs to be fixed and they always do a piss-poor job of fixing it, if they fix it at all, then brush it off with a "look we fixed the problem" (e.g. damage boost to Nex sets.) I have played this game for close to 9 years and I still love it, but I know better than to give Jagex anything more than hopeful optimism, even that might be too much.

Birdd-1.png

[spoiler=Levels]Birdd.png

But on topic, I'm with most everyone else. This is going to sound like a hurt ex-girlfriend but I have seen this, and many more promises from Jagex to fix what I so desperately believe needs to be fixed and they always do a piss-poor job of fixing it, if they fix it at all, then brush it off with a "look we fixed the problem" (e.g. damage boost to Nex sets.) I have played this game for close to 9 years and I still love it, but I know better than to give Jagex anything more than hopeful optimism, even that might be too much.

I was rounding, I think the exact was somewhere around 54-57 but couldn't remember :L

Asmodean <3

I was rounding, I think the exact was somewhere around 54-57 but couldn't remember :L

OT: I was getting more like 35-40. :o dat xpwaste

Birdd-1.png

[spoiler=Levels]Birdd.png

Surely better than the old combat system?

The facts disagree. I went out to check out the popularity of various combat minigames. All are dead. album with pics -> http://imgur.com/a/0fP8Q

Pest Control died too.

The way I see it, the EoC is still in the beta phase. Conceptually, EoC combat is far superior to the previous "click and eat" combat style. RS combat needs to be more interactive. However, the EoC is still far from being finished.

It got released due to a combination of working on the beta and regular RS being too much, along with the fact that the beta worlds were becoming extremely dead and no one was actually playing on them and giving feedback.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I didn't see them mention anything about shifting the game's focus from grinding to having fun.

We already know you don't like grind, you quit, fine. RS is a grinding-based game and if you don't like that you should find another. I have fun getting my levels, and the tougher the level the more fun it is to get. No matter how much people (including myself) may rage about how annoying some skills are, in the end we still like this game and that is in part because of the grind. Taking the grind away entirely is the last thing Jagex should do. Not that some things aren't too much (5k cw games) but in general it's fine.

My point was that botting/RWT exist basically as a result of the grind.

Content that isn't the most efficient becomes instantly obsolete because of the grind.

Unhealthy amounts of necessary gameplay are considered normal and encouraged because of the grind.

The game is less social because of the grind.

The gap between the elite and the casual is huge because of the grind.

When RS was thriving, grinding was rare, optional, and almost even taboo. Now it's mandatory and strongly encouraged.

77yLQy8.png

People would still bot agility for the skill capes.

Exactly. This is why keep saying that skill capes were one of the worst updates to RS ever. But do you think people would still bot to 99 if 99 was a fun byproduct of training agility, rather than the focus itself? What about if skill capes didn't exist?

Most bots you see are gold farming bots because it makes real cash.

And who spends real money on RS GP?

77yLQy8.png

People would still bot agility for the skill capes.

Exactly. This is why keep saying that skill capes were one of the worst updates to RS ever. But do you think people would still bot to 99 if 99 was a fun byproduct of training agility, rather than the focus itself? What about if skill capes didn't exist?

Kids with their dad's cc number.

I don't really know, but I would assume

- Kids who get a hold of daddy's credit card (EDIT: ninja'd x2)

- People that are too lazy to make GP

- Gamblers (stakers/dicers) that got cleaned and want to start gambling again

- People who are hacked and cbb to start from scratch

Little note on the last one: I was PM'd by a player a few days ago asking for help solving a hacking issue. After giving him all the help I could (which is essentially telling him that there's nothing that can be done, just prevent it from happening again) he ended the conversation with 'If jagex and pmods would get off their lazy arses and help people who are hacked, then people wouldn't go to gold sites. I'm off to buy 100m'. It's fundamentally flawed logic, but it does show that there are people out there that RWT to prevent having to start from scratch.

My point was that botting/RWT exist basically as a result of the grind.

Content that isn't the most efficient becomes instantly obsolete because of the grind.

Unhealthy amounts of necessary gameplay are considered normal and encouraged because of the grind.

The game is less social because of the grind.

The gap between the elite and the casual is huge because of the grind.

When RS was thriving, grinding was rare, optional, and almost even taboo. Now it's mandatory and strongly encouraged.

I think that final point is more nostalgia than anything else. Grinding has become more accessible as skills become easier (on the wrists and in time required to max), but grinding has been part of the game since the xp for 99 was set at ~13m. Grinding/skilling is still taboo in some parts of RS, and those people can be quite vocal about it. I think you're just in a community here on tip.it which is high-levelled and experienced, which it wasn't quite so much a few years ago.

To all your other points: if they are problems, they must be solved in another way than removing grind. I don't agree with all of them being problems, but I can't be bothered arguing that right now.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted