01-Feb-2013 Squeal of Fortune: Cash Bags

Warlover

"Cash Bags complement your adventure far better than before, offering everyone a more balanced and rewarding experience – your prizes are tailored for you."

You know, these SOF updates wouldn't be so painful if Jagex insisted on using phrases such as "more balanced" and "rewarding experience" and "tailored for you." It's like I'm at a GOP convention- all these meaningless words are being passed around that sound suspiciously warm and fuzzy. Nothing is particularly bad about this update, so why use these stupid phrases at all? Would it have not been just as easy to say "the amount of gold you receive upon opening a Cash Bag depends on your skill levels" and ended it there? Nope, Jagex once again injects a double dose of extra-strength PR into a seemingly neutral update.

This is one of many reasons why I've never trusted Jagex. They build up this wall of PR- they never tell you anything without dressing it up and giving it a name. I mean, was it really necessary to name your goddam security system? JAGEX ACCOUNT GUARDIAN - what the hell does that name tell us about the actual product? Just call it what it is- a goddam security system. Norton doesn't go around calling their security software the NORTON PREMIUM INPENETRABLE INFORMATION FORTRESS.

• Like 1

It was a bad example. A better, and more archetypal example was when people used to cut yew logs and alch yew longbows. Although a small transfer of GP was incurred in the nature runes, this was far outweighed by the amount being generated through the alching. The base materials of course are free; yew logs, flax, rune essence are all reproducible at no expenditure, but 768gp still magically appears at the end of it. The 768gp appears in the players inventory and therefore doesn't need to be matched by another player losing money through a trade.

It used to be a huge problem, much worse than it is now.

As long as you understand that money doesn't enter the game until the bows are alched. Someone could sell the bows to an alcher and it would have the same effect.

Your first example had nothing to do with gp being generated, so that makes people want to be careful.

While it used to be much higher than it is now, inflation isn't necessarily bad. It can be, because now many methods of creating gp are not worth the effort anymore. Inflation can have bad side effects. However that doesn't mean some inflation is ever bad.

Also, there are many ways that gp exits the game which aren't necessarily noticed or counted by the average player. Again, we don't have direct access to Jagex servers so we can't see the real numbers. We can only make speculation.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Proposed solution to drain gp: NPC merchant who sells an incredibly useful, everyday use, untradeable item.

Perhaps they could overhaul shops as a whole while they're at it. They're so outdated that I can't think of a witty thing to compare them to.

It'd be unpopular, but I'd like to see a small fee for using the GE. It would be a cash sink, and would encourage more player interaction.

2041 total, large cash bag, 1 438 112 gp (1,44m rounded up)...

To be fair, though, it was a rare prize (red).

328ab.jpg

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

2041 total, large cash bag, 1 438 112 gp (1,44m rounded up)...

To be fair, though, it was a rare prize (red).

328ab.jpg

Well yeah the cash prizes on wheel are:

Common - Small bag

Uncommon - Med bag

Rare - Large bag

Super rare - 200m

And the large bag caps out at 1m, but as with all bags is doubled for this weekend so caps at 2m.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Small bag = 15,224 @ 2180 total which seems consistant with what others are getting, but I'm F2P. So I'd say that it uses your total, and not just your F2P total while in F2P (I assumed as much, but just making sure).

Would make sense seeing as the 'f2p total' is an entirely player-invented concept with the game (and historically the highscores) making no distinction between your f2p stats and your members stats.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Well yeah the cash prizes on wheel are:

Common - Small bag

Uncommon - Med bag

Rare - Large bag

Super rare - 200m

And the large bag caps out at 1m, but as with all bags is doubled for this weekend so caps at 2m.

I didn't know the large bag was potentially worth that much. :oops: I did read the update but for some reason I must've read over the figures.

I was actually a bit surprised when I saw it amounted to that much, which I why I posted it. I had expected a more linear evolution from small to large (because I apparently read right over the amounts each could give). Most I've ever gotten (as a cash reward) was 50k (uncommon iirc) so for me personally, this is a rather large difference. :P

The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is for Good Men to do Nothing. (Edmund Burke)

Runescape owners should stop beating the bush and implement microtransaction. That's pretty much what the deal is with these Squal stuff only that they are trying to come off as morally good. "We care for our players".

WRONG.

Runescape owners should stop beating the bush and implement microtransaction. That's pretty much what the deal is with these Squal stuff only that they are trying to come off as morally good. "We care for our players".

WRONG.

They will, but that 'beating the bush' as you called it has really been more of a tactful desensitization. Give it about another year of them gradually increasing the "actual" benefits provided by SGS and SoF and the RuneScape community may be "softened up" enough to accept the direct sale of GP.

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

Proposed solution to drain gp: NPC merchant who sells an incredibly useful, everyday use, untradeable item.

Perhaps they could overhaul shops as a whole while they're at it. They're so outdated that I can't think of a witty thing to compare them to.

It'd be unpopular, but I'd like to see a small fee for using the GE. It would be a cash sink, and would encourage more player interaction.

Out of curiosity, why do you see the personal interation of trading as a good thing? All I can remember about it was how big a pain it was, and how many hours of potential training it sucked up.

And Ginger was totally correct about the drops creating money, or more correctly, creating value. The amount of money in circulation is not nearly as important as the amount of value, as long as there is enough coin available to match value being moved at any given moment. That is, as long as the coin exists to make assets liquid, it doesn't really matter. Getting a drop worth 10m has the same effect as getting 10m in coin if you sell it. You get the coin, and they get an item they can sell for the same value and so on.

also, if they just use lootshare then it just turns into coins anyway

edit: sorry, coinshare

Actually, coinshare is more of a cash sink. It gives you instant money at 95% GE price, but then puts the item up on the GE at 100% price. When the person buys the item, it takes out the money he bought the item for, therefore taking out more money than it brought in.

22031_s.gif

Actually, coinshare is more of a cash sink. It gives you instant money at 95% GE price, but then puts the item up on the GE at 100% price. When the person buys the item, it takes out the money he bought the item for, therefore taking out more money than it brought in.

Only a very slight money sink seeing as the net difference is only 5% of the value. Sure on 200m items that's like 10m, but relative to the 190m 10m is a pitance.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Only a very slight money sink seeing as the net difference is only 5% of the value. Sure on 200m items that's like 10m, but relative to the 190m 10m is a pitance.

My point was that it did the opposite to bringing in pure GP.

22031_s.gif

While coinshare does act as a cash sink assuming that the trading value and ge value are identical, many teams will seek to abuse coinshare when the trading value is much lower than ge value, and avoid it when trading value is higher. Since these differences in prices can last for a long time (see spirit shields/nex gear at the end of last year) I'd assume it ends up bringing in more cash than it takes out.

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Adding value is different than gp. A drop worth 10m whether it is 10m coins or an item, value was added but the impact is different. 10m gp slightly decreases the value of gp while increase in item supply slightly decreases the item value

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

While coinshare does act as a cash sink assuming that the trading value and ge value are identical, many teams will seek to abuse coinshare when the trading value is much lower than ge value, and avoid it when trading value is higher. Since these differences in prices can last for a long time (see spirit shields/nex gear at the end of last year) I'd assume it ends up bringing in more cash than it takes out.

Let's say we have an item worth 60m GE price, 30m street price. Naturally, the team decides to coinshare the item, gaining 57m in the process, and the item is placed in the GE for 60m. Unless Jagex made it so coinshared items decrease in value over time after they've been placed on the market, the price of the item will stay at 60m until bought.

Of course, if the coinshared item's price fluctuates after it was placed in the GE, then you are right.

22031_s.gif

Let's say we have an item worth 60m GE price, 30m street price. Naturally, the team decides to coinshare the item, gaining 57m in the process, and the item is placed in the GE for 60m. Unless Jagex made it so coinshared items decrease in value over time after they've been placed on the market, the price of the item will stay at 60m until bought.

Of course, if the coinshared item's price fluctuates after it was placed in the GE, then you are right.

If I recall correctly, this was a pretty big problem before they loosened the GE's limits.