Tip.It Times - 10th February 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

With regards to the second article, about separate worlds, I should say that I'm not *entirely* opposed to the idea, and I really liked the idea of Jagex preserving RSC(1-2 servers for pre-eoc couldn't be too bad, even if I have no interest in joining them), or a different model, like say how the PvP worlds used to be. I am open to some of these ideas. Regardless, it's all fantasy, as Jagex has not given even the slightest of indications that they are even considering giving us separate servers(despite their obviously fake tease a few days ago).

Just a couple notes in regard to Tip.It Times #223...

@ Arceus (M.I...AFK?) -- Remember, we can't all hold a conversation forever. We're not all natural chatterboxes. Eventually, we just go silent and stay that way from exhausting most of our thoughts a few too many times over. :(

@ Dracae (Don't Split the Community) -- Your article makes me think of "Order Of The Stick", and a compilation volume book title by the author of that series... :huh:

~D. V. "Just my take on these..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

There is something very... strange about the concept of wanting to play a game, and then, once you're playing, trying to find every method under the sun to distract your attention away from the monotonous nature of playing that game. But by now you just have to accept that's part and parcel, people have been AFKing in RuneScape for as long as I can remember, and the removal of randoms is probably indication that Jagex doesn't care any more if people AFK so long as they're not botting.

On seperate worlds, I think we had a discussion not too dissimilar to the topic on this board quite recently, and the point I made was 'Where do you draw the line?'. Some people didn't like Ancients; some people didn't like Slayer items; some people don't like EoC; some people don't like free trade removal (eventually has been put back into the game, but you see my point).

Are we going to have a new world every time somebody complains about an update? It's just too impractical to cater to everyone at the same time.

• Like 1

Gingy, your comparison is somewhat off-base. No one, not even players who hate certain updates are suggesting that Jagex pop out a new server after every unpopular update. EoC, much like RS2, is an exception to the standard list of updates, it's an extremely major update. They can't be compared to standard ones. I don't actually want it for myself, I think it should be there, for historical purposes, like RSC.

• Like 2

Regarding "Don't Split the Community": HEAR, HEAR!

I am appalled people are dumb enough to read any indication about "oldschool servers" being planned into Mod Mark's post. It's completely delusional. Yet it was to be expected as a lot of the anti-EOC whiners don't seem to be too keen on reading comprehension skills... how else can one explain the ongoing whining and begging when Jagex have stated again and again and again that the idea of separate servers is so impractical as to be almost impossible? In my opinion Mod Mark made a huge mistake with that post because he should have foreseen that it would be misinterpreted and the nostalgia crowd would draw false hope from it, only to heap even more hate on Jagex when that false hope is ultimately crushed.

Also, and I am glad the article talks about this because sometimes when I discuss this with people, it seems as if nobody realizes this: once you start forking the game, the demands for even more forks will become even louder. "If you could do it for pre-EOC, you can and must do it for 2006scape" will become the new rallying cry of the PK whiners. Giving in once will not solve anything; it will only aggravate the problems in the long run.

In response to M.I...AFK?

I play Runescape, somewhat ironically, to get away from people and the annoyances of interacting with them. I'm a very introverted person and am one of those people who play with all my chat filters set to Off. It also helps to keep me from getting distracted whether I'm doing a quest, finishing up a Daily Challenge or just training a skill that I feel I need to work on. If I want social interaction, I'll pick up my phone and text or call someone I know in real life as opposed to chatting to an avatar of someone I've never met and could be lying about who they are.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

I completely agree with "Don't Split the Community." As someone who's played RS casually for about seven years now (often taking several month breaks), adapting to new updates has been a regular occurance for me. I like the updates and the fact that the game grows and evolves--it keeps it exciting. People who don't like certain updates (such as EOC) can either deal with it or move on to another game. Jagex has taken away crappy updates in the past (like trade limits on all accounts) and so expressing your opinion on it can change things; but just because you don't like something doesn't mean you should get a whole new game out of it at the expense of others.

Personally, I still don't really like the grand exchange all that much, but I deal with it and the game is still fun.

Creating Legacy servers will not split the community. There's been a legacy server called RSC since the start of RS2 and the community on the main has only gotten larger. Had Jagex offered up a group of legacy servers after each of the major updates (removing free trade then EoC), it might have kept a lot more of its members. The Legacy servers would not be updated with exception of clearing out bugs so development hours lost to the main servers would be negligible. Also, these could be buffers to help people get over the old version and slowly move onto the new version. And if not, who cares. They're paying into the game and having fun playing an old version of it. The majority of players will still keep up with the main servers cause that's where all the money and time for development is at.

Legacy servers are useful and beneficial to the game and community overall.

• Like 1

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

It seems my article is already obsolete..

Sadly Jagex decided to make a poll..again..

MMG said he 'hopes 'this won't split the community, well I 'hope' this is based on more then Jagex conviction that they could keep the bots out after their earlier poll.

The decision to make this poll seems to make short term financial sense, a lot of people who quit will likely at least get 1 more month of members to vote and possibly a few more to play '2007'. I however do not see most of them staying.. There will likely not be much fun in starting over on a dead game, populated by people living in the past.

There is a different problem also, I think the ratio pkers to skillers will be off in this already small community. So.. who will make the stuff?

It would be a lot better idea to use the programmers that will work on this to fix things like the problems with the client, clancapes and vexes or the last Thok saga, in short problems we have with our REAL game.

It seems my article is already obsolete..

Sadly Jagex decided to make a poll..again..

Don't be too hard on yourself. The sentiment is still very valid, I think, even if the specific details aren't current.

Here's what I thought was the REAL kicker of the article:

Do not go backwards and make another Classic…

Brilliant reference. I don't know if Silverion kept the archives for the old RS1/RSC section; it'd be rather helpful if we still have it. The analogy is VERY good and it'd be nice to have some hard references about how the Tip.It forums responded to the RS1 -> RS2 transition. I don't see a lot of people anymore here from the early days-- I'll try to remember as best I can.

Interesting that you said "The best PKers of my clan had a bit of a problem adjusting". See, that's where the analogy is very apt. There were people that complained bitterly, comparing RS1/RSC pking to RS2 pking, i.e. that RS1 pking was supposedly superior. There were arguments concerning "catching"-- an old technique that if mastered, supposedly gave you the jump on another player. There were complaints about the new multi-way areas, and many complained about a change from player vs. player to player vs. pilejump, if that makes sense.

I hope that summarizes the best parts because it did go on and on, of course. So many changes to this game were driven by actions and reactions to Player Killing, from the earliest PK-anywhere years, to Duelling first being introduced, to the Duel Arena, and so on. Of course there was a brief fling with the PK-anywhere concept with PK worlds... I really was amazed that it came back and then was shut down so quickly. Scrying pools in POHs made more sense with PK worlds, for one, and since I don't really do Player vs. Player stuff... I hope that means something.

It would be a lot better idea to use the programmers that will work on this to fix things like the problems with the client, clancapes and vexes or the last Thok saga, in short problems we have with our REAL game.

Excellent point. I'm among those that believe EOC was rushed, and that there are so many things in the game that are still broken because of it.

Example: The Lunar spell Energy Transfer was removed from the visible Lunar spellbook, but it's still effectively there at Livid Farm. Because the special attack bar code was translated to Adrenaline, the Suqah attack on Pauline random event requires 50%+ Adrenaline. It's not impossible to get but seems odd that a non-combat minigame now requires a little combat, and in a very inconvenient fashion.

Good examples with the Thok sagas: it IS very noticeable with Thok Your Block Off.

I want to show support for the other Times articles, but I've rambled on enough as it is... maybe later. I think "War of the Clans" can use some writing improvement, but, please, I am glad that Tip.It is encouraging fan fiction more. Please keep writing, sacker3; I hope you will take my criticism as constructive and that you'll bring us more stories. Thanks.

• Like 1

thejollyroger:

I was not around for Classic, came in a little after... made up for that with total addiction .. I mean conviction.. It is interesting to read your comparisons, that confirm what I keep thinking: this is nothing new. There is always something that changes and in doing so causes protest.

They should make a new skill for 2007.. called : 'reminiscing'

@ Dracae (Don't Split the Community).

jagex already split the community when they took away the game i paid to play and replaced it with a new one.they left me with 2 options,play the new game or quit,so i quit,stayed quit,have only started looking back because they woke up and smelled the coffee,this time it didn't take them 2 years,ya, i quit before and came back(only because they brought back the wildy and free trade).

there is a point where a change isn't an update,it's a new game version,constant changes to the game are not only not neccassary but also self defeating,new content is one thing(in moderation,new weapons affect game balance and the economy)changing the way something operates,changing the map(not adding to it) things such as this belong in a new game,hopefully jagex is beginning to realize this finally..

it is far more likely that someone that quit because they were bored will return than someone that quit because they changed the game.

as for change,ya,for example cnc,then red alert,then yuri's etc etc,ya,but i can still play cnc if i so desire,jagex has not been doing such.you will find that old school servers will do far more good than harm.

Inkler

p.s.started playing before the classic/rs2 split, what ruined that was jagex not tending to it,this time it will be different.watch the votes roll in.

They should make a new skill for 2007.. called : 'reminiscing'

Don't expect that from jagex. Their 'game development' skill isn't maxed yet.

• Like 1

Sorry if I skip words in my sentences from time to time. My brain tends to be a step or two ahead of my fingers when I type.

Really appreciated the "Did you know.." portion. I had a Mark VII or something challenge, so tried the Dagon'hai Monks out. With Verac I frequently one-hit them at 300 xp a pop. Decided to go back after catching up on challenges. I took 8 doses of extreme, activated momemtum, and proceeded the one-hit fest stopping only to pick up occasional charm and dagon'hai robe. Just walking around the water, skipping the Zamarak Warriors (3 hit at 200 xp), not even needing food, it seemed like I was getting 200k xp/hour but zilch for drops.

Until the inevitable patch, these seem like good spot to train melee. Still, no drops.

• Like 1

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Regardless, it's all fantasy, as Jagex has not given even the slightest of indications that they are even considering giving us separate servers(despite their obviously fake tease a few days ago).

Though they didn't really give any indications, I suppose I stand corrected. Their 'obviously fake' tease didn't turn out to be so fake. :wink:

• Like 2