• Yes
    • No
    • I'm F2P
  2. 2. Will you play on 2007 Servers?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm F2p, so no
    • I'm F2P, but would subscribe

Any sort of updates post anti-bot software would completely defy the point of making these servers. In truth I don't think honestly old servers should even get improved anti-bot software, to be in keeping with the nostalgia bubble of august 07, but with how advanced bots are now it would be required to make these legacy servers even playable.

In short nothing else past 10th august 07 shouldn't even be considered as a possibility of an update.

The community will be fractured enough without fracturing this new community into say pre & post GWD or GE.

Then what would be the point? What would be the point in releasing a game in which you log in, turn on your bot, go to work, and come back with a bank full of logs?

They're bringing back the game. Not the botting that came with it. Sure dozens of bald men in green clothes chopping yews was in the 07 version of the game. It was a necessary evil. Can you really say you LIKED bots? I can't. Everyone knew there were bots. They knew they were bad, and they knew that sometime they had to go.

For me, I'm looking forward to the fun times of killing rats with my friends and playing on the weekends the game I played during highschool. I'm not looking forward to any bloody bots, or any people who are like EFFICIENCY!

I want to play a game that is fun. Period.; I don't find the new game to be fun. I find it to be a corny evolution of something I liked.

Just by bringing back the game they are paving the way for bots to return, simply put the bots will return to 07 servers because there will be a demand for them to 'help' players get a headstart over the competition. That is why I ultimately agreed that the servers should have anti-botware updates, even though it's not in keeping with the whole point of the servers being an exact copy of august 07.

The way you replied seems to me that your in the opinion there are no bots, just because they aren't bald men in green clothes doesn't mean bots have gone.

And in reference to your question no I don't like bots, they are a scourge on the landscape of runescape.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

As we have now passed the 200k votes mark it seems Jagex is really doing all they can to get more votes. I'm sorry, but I am still not going to put my vote in there. It is just too much of a hype now, and I want to focus on the main game.

I'd like to point out something, to you, and everyone that won't play these servers but continue on EoC. Until the poll hits 500,000 votes, there is no development team or maintenance. While I can't sit here and say for sure, but I feel as if this will effect the normal game, if they have no extra people, some will have to watch over these new ones, that is for sure, you can't just leave a game server running and never have to do anything to it.

Just a thought, not telling you that you have to vote, still up to you, but think about it before completely shutting the idea out.

With 250k+ votes (The amount jagex is gunning for) it will come with a small team and basic level of maintenance. I believe it was changed today, giving many of the bonuses of the 500k+ votes to the 250k+ votes. Jagex essentially gave you a free 250k+ votes in one day for your server. I don't understand why you need our support, seeing as how Jagex seems bent on manipulating votes and moving the Goal post for your sake.

You're gonna get 250k votes for sure and maybe 500k votes if Jagex decides to give you that as well. Good luck with your new server and team.

I doubt that we'll suddenly get 500k votes by the looks of this without the whole community realizing that all the polls Jagex makes are fake as hell. Even though it looks a bit suspicious right now.

It's impossible for jagex to suddenly spurt out a massive jolt of votes without having a finger in the game. Unless they give people in main rs benefits like more member or new stuff if they vote.

We'll get past 250k votes though.

Yes, you can calculate hourly costs for a major project by keeping track of engineering effort...but what does that have to do with old players rejoining?

Okay I admit I wasn't completely clear with what I was talking about. There is a developing cost for new content, right? Because players value content differently, and some content will have more of an affect on the players than other content, it is possible to calculate how valuable different content updates are. There is definitely content in RS that is rarely used, and so the costs of developing that content did not bring back worthy gains.

Just looking at the main RS page, I doubt the sinkholes content is going to spark huge interest in retired runescape players, it's not going to suddenly bring in a lot of new players. This 07scape has created a lot of talk, and a lot of talk from retired players who express interest in returning, so the developing costs for 07scape is likely to be a lot more valuable than just your average RS update.

Yes, there is a cost for developing features. I'd conjecture that it's harder to gauge the value of an update until it's been around for a bit, although there were definitely some projects that bombed out (Rat Catchers, for instance).

To your next point, talk is cheap. Membership will be the true test - the people that talk about wanting this will have to put their money where their mouth is.

I'm not going to pretend I can estimate how many people can play, but I find your 5k dedicated and 10k enthusiasts to be quite pessimistic.

I'll admit that it's a bit low, but here's why - I'm using a similar thought process to when RSC became a snow globe.

The community was fiercely divided on whether or not RS2 represented a good direction for the same, so a fervent faithful delegation of about 12,000 players hung back on the old servers. That number plummeted during what is known as "the Renaissance of RuneScape", when Members' received a smattering of awesome, revolutionary updates (special attacks, clues, more quests than you could shake a stick at). RSC, by comparison, was static - never going to be revised with the latest bot detection, never going to get anything nearly as awesome as what RS2 had, and that's what everyone had to live with.

The number really got low before RSC's doors were opened once again, but this time to an even smaller crowd of enthusiasts, ultimately put off by the tedium and dullness of Classic.

I find that point interesting since it was the fervent faithful so many years back that said very similar things to today - that this is what the community wanted, that it'd be more popular, that it'd be better than the other way, etc.

Dat history lesson. :/

Yes developing costs are expensive, but the content has already been developed! Suddenly this huge development cost has disappeared. It will only be a small team to basically set it up, yes there will be a tiny bit of development, but compared to the actual content, that is ready to go. Also, you seem to be forgetting more overhead costs that don't have to be considered, Jagex already have deals with server providers and everything for current RS, will these current providers give away the potential to get a lot more business from Jagex? Of course not, there will likely be cheaper costs since Jagex will be an on-going customer.

Development costs are expensive, but the content has been developed!

Overhead can be expensive, but most of it has already been covered!

The main costs involved will be the running costs, which is relatively cheap. There will be a bit of development overhead to get the servers ready and started, but than other than that there isn't too much more, especially compared to main RS.

So yes, an individual looking at the costs of running 07scape will think it sounds expensive, but for Jagex it will be relatively cheap (not to mention the likely potential gains).

And to finish off, if this 07scape turns out to be a huge flop and waste of time and money, Jagex will brush it off and move on. You wont notice a thing (if there was real risk in this it wouldn't be given the chance).

I can think of a few things for those people to develop. This would keep a small team busy for at least 2 months. "Many" years if you want to tack on a good bot detection framework.

• Java 6 to Java 7 migration - Hell, that code could run on Java 5. They reached their technical limitations with it before it went EOL, luckily.
  • If you're not going to migrate to Java 7, make sure your code works with it. Not many people will use Java 6 anymore, thanks to the Swiss cheese that is its security.
  • Updating the model objects - This means database work, too. A character in RS proper isn't the same as a character in '07Scape.
  • Adding/Ensuring compatibility between chat systems - Database and chat system work, making sure that the chat server can support both games and identify a player from a particular game. May also have to take into account that any player can have 200 friends in their friends list. Doesn't mention Clan/Friend Chat, since that wasn't a feature in '07.
  • Stress test - body-slam your database and see how well it does.
  • (Potentially) Bot framework groundwork - If this gets serious traction they'll need to do a lot of work to do this. If they don't want to hear a lot of players piss and moan about bots then they'll need to do a lot of work to do this. Then again, their track record with this sort of thing has sucked horribly - it's been 8 years since they announced they had systems in place, and every one of them failed miserably. That'll eat up some dev time for sure!

Quit thinking about just generic things like maintenance and personnel. There's a lot of hidden costs to this, too.

Oh, I nearly forgot - there was this one time in which they blew "tens of millions of pounds" on some project - some Sci Fi game - that didn't pan out. Before that, there was Funorb. After that, there was 8 Realms. They couldn't brush those major losses off, and the effects of that are ever present.

Jagex isn't infallible, and they don't have tens of millions to just throw away. They had damn well better know the cost of what they're getting into before they get in it. And it's my very strong opinion that the community should realize the cost of what Jagex is getting into before they think it's "cheap" or "not a big deal if it fails".

Every failure will suck for the company.

Java... Yes, oh god yes.

What do you mean by model objects?

Chat backwards compatibility is going to be a must have, and as it was done for RSC I can't see why it wouldn't be done for rs07.

Friend/clanchat was in RS07

Botes.. yes. I think this is a given as well

Guys listen to newbie melody (old version) before voting. You will not be able to resist voting yes

Or any other of the music :)

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I don't understand only one thing! Why Jagex made mistake with EoC! Why they made RS more closely to other games! Only reason why most of the people lay runescape was because it was different from others shitgames! Now its closely to them! With EoC, jagex lost like 20ppl (our team)... It's like 100$ per months! I belive they lost like 200,000 members with this, so they lost 1,000,000$ per months! So now they have problems with budget so they trying to fill it with this vote! If jagex would made a vote before inventing EoC update and ask community - Do you want EoC? There wouldnt be such a problem, we would keep playing this interesting game which differs from other games! EoC was mistake! They puta huge money in EoC but they put 0 of our money to get rid of bots! Bots in game was reason why large amount of playeres leaved it. Now jagex put a poll with 750k votes needed, its absurd, there are no such a huge amount of members. if we take of bots, innactive players and small amount of those who vote - NO, there is like 400,000. Lets get serious, when JAGEX lunched EoC update, player amount falled from 100,000-140,000 to 50,000-70,000! They lost 50% of players (this inclue 80% active nonbot, and 20% bots). This is what happened back in half year ago, now Jagex trying to earn some money to dont bankrupt at all, but guess what, this poll wont save their situation, they will split up community in 2 half which will destroy game at all. The real thing, what jagex should ask and think of, is bringing back runescape with all of character information, skills, bank etc. in past. Jagex should make a vote with 2 options - YES and NO - Do you want play in EoC? (YES - play EoC, NO - Take back befor EoC and some other stupid updates). This wouldnt split community, this wouldnt make damage to company of jagex, this would only show people thoughts about game and all community would go one or other way.

Believe me people will complain if you put the status globes next to the minimap.

Remove the percentage for all I care; so long as the toggle is there, that is what matters.

That's what people will complain about.

Do you want the quickpray globe with that too?

This is, exactly, the point that I made pages earlier when I said, what happens if, as and when someone wants changes made to “improve” the 07 game.

How is it going to be determined as to what changes get made, and what is going to happen if, as and when Jagex makes any changes, no matter how cosmetic, to the 07 game and some overly vocal minority throws a hissy over it?

Point is, you either want changes as Teknofield does, in which event you don’t really want to play the 07 game, or you don’t want the changes and you’re stuck playing it as it was on August 10, 2007.

From how I read what Jagex is saying, albeit what they’ve said has changed considerably day to day, is that they will set up these 07 servers, do fundamental maintenance and anti-bot measures to it (yeah right) and leave it thereafter on an “as is” basis.

Personally, I think if you want the “golden age of Runescape” then [bleep]ing play the “golden age” of Runescape. Don’t be messing with the damn thing. Don’t be asking for “improvements”. Don’t be demanding that changes be made to the game which you claim “don’t affect game play”. Just play the damn thing, as it was, and either enjoy it, as it was, or don’t play it. Period.

• Like 1

nyuseg.png

Personally, I think if you want the “golden age of Runescape” then [bleep]ing play the “golden age” of Runescape. Don’t be messing with the damn thing. Don’t be asking for “improvements”. Don’t be demanding that changes be made to the game which you claim “don’t affect game play”. Just play the damn thing, as it was, and either enjoy it, as it was, or don’t play it. Period.

Exactly, they should never have included the possibility of content updates at any voting tier. To say they're bringing back a copy of the old game for the old school feel, and then add on updates produced by a team with 6 more years of experience is, for a lack of better term, typical JLogic.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

By the way, this August 2007 snapshot is after the Varrock graphical update.

Guys listen to newbie melody (old version) before voting. You will not be able to resist voting yes

No, listen to "Looking Back."

Perfect tune for an ending credits theme don't you think?

Each day I find myself getting a little more excited for 2007 servers. I know they won't provide people with what they think they want, but I am starting to think the game will provide something no one has experienced before, and will be incredibly fun.

Nothing new for WoW people, but for RS players, this will be the first time that a new game "wave" starts, and everyone playing will already know everything about the game. The sheer amount of strategy and race-against-the-clock activity that will be going on will be--for me--fascinating. Will you go for 85 slayer? 91 rc? Farming for herbs?

The fact that guthan's will be the sh** again, no one will have gp at first, so on and so on. Add to that the fact that our main accounts aren't going anywhere, and you got a real recipe for success.

In typical runescape fashion, I am looking at maxing my account in 2013 and a new version of the game comes out :evil:

But I am diffidently excited to see how things play out. I will be spending a month in Air Force Field Training in May-June, so I will probably fall way behind the curve, but that's real life career vs. a game, so whatever.

• Like 2
Dynastyfan0.png

How does one pay $2 a month for membership? Do tell?

I was joking, and in regard to the photo "Seems Legit" this thread as been filled with people spewing random "stats" of how this thing is going to go, it was a joke.

Oh alright, hah.

Not sure if this is against the rules to post here, but I can't see why not, because it's been reported to Jagex many times and they haven't fixed it, so they clearly don't mind for whatever reason. Anyway, all you do is on your main, recruit a fresh email of yours, signup off the recruit email, login to game (only to create your character, this is important), then log off and wait a day. Once you have waited a day of trial membership off of the recruitment, you will be offered a 75% discount, making the membership cost 1.98 USD, on your recruited account. Buy that, and your main will also get free membership, for recruiting 'someone' that bought membership. Hope that all makes sense. :)

Edit: Here is the message you will see after a day:

6tXJVJx.png

Sorry for bringing up an old post from pages back but I had to point out that this doesn't work.

No I did not test it but SoWr3cked reported it not working.

EDIT: 25AKf.png

Turns out it never worked.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Heh, my weakness is the log in screen itself. Forget the rest of the old game, the old log in screen was special, and is technically even part of the game lore itself (a magical gate allowing people to move between dimensions to shouting their name and a special, personal, phrase) compliments of one of the God letters. Seeing them again brings back some of the anger when they took that away from us.

I have some great memories from the '06/'07 era in particular, but if I stop and think, the best memories have nothing to do with the game. Not for me. No, that was the time when I was very bored with the free game. It was the people I hung around with way back in the early days, friends who, if I could, I would rub a magic lamp and bring them all back into my life somehow. I actually still have, intermittent, contact with a couple of people from the old days, a couple being the only others I know of who actually still have any involvement in the game after all these years. One logs on about as often as I do, one is an administrator for another fansite, and one is staff on another runescape related project.

And when I think about it, the game has for me always been as much about the people I played with as the game I was playing, and moving to the fansite world from the clan world seems to have led to my playing the game less. Now the people are here, so I am too.

Just a thought about this.

• Like 2

Friend Chats had just been released, with the first iterations of HYT chat and BlogScape. Forum.Tip.It was a hive of activity. The IRC channel was still lively.

No one can argue about the strength of the community back then compared to its current state.

Exactly, they should never have included the possibility of content updates at any voting tier. To say they're bringing back a copy of the old game for the old school feel, and then add on updates produced by a team with 6 more years of experience is, for a lack of better term, typical JLogic.

But it's been well established that people don't want the game for the old school feel, they want it because it doesn't have EoC or the Grand Exchange.

Exactly this. I voted for 2007 servers. Not 2007 servers that are eventually going to get turned into the current mess.

• Like 1

Asmodean <3

As we have now passed the 200k votes mark it seems Jagex is really doing all they can to get more votes. I'm sorry, but I am still not going to put my vote in there. It is just too much of a hype now, and I want to focus on the main game.

I'd like to point out something, to you, and everyone that won't play these servers but continue on EoC. Until the poll hits 500,000 votes, there is no development team or maintenance. While I can't sit here and say for sure, but I feel as if this will effect the normal game, if they have no extra people, some will have to watch over these new ones, that is for sure, you can't just leave a game server running and never have to do anything to it.

Just a thought, not telling you that you have to vote, still up to you, but think about it before completely shutting the idea out.

I have thought about it carefully since the poll went live. It's simply not worth it, I think, because of all the points already taken up in this thread in my previous posts, as well as others. The main one being I think we as RS players should stick to one version of the game. The community doesn't need to be further weakened. Especially not after we just went through this splitting question of EoC and already lost so many members.

And yes, IK the vote will pass anyway. I don't doubt it will pass 500k even. Jagex are hyping this so much already.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

It means a lot that Jagex mentioned in their tiers the possibility of updates. Seems like they kind of quit on EoC or something and want to start all over again.

As much as you might want it jagex aren't quitting on the EoC :P and imo they shouldn't. I think the more likely reason that they are entertaining updates for 07scape is that a constantly updated game is one of the major reasons people stick with RS, and that should technically hold for 07scape.

• Like 1

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

It means a lot that Jagex mentioned in their tiers the possibility of updates. Seems like they kind of quit on EoC or something and want to start all over again.

Not really - hiring a small separate dev teams to look at adding updates that already exist in main RS to the Nostalgia-scape if anything implies confidence in the live game as they suspect that even within the old servers theere will be support for their newer better content to be added.

Not to mention the model of a never changing, never updating MMORPG has been shown to die quickly in RSC.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The Jagex problem is that, they don't listen to community! There sitting a lot of nerds, which are drinking beer and thinking stupid ideas, and then there is other half of Jagex team which have money and support them! There is no communication between players and Jagex team! That is why a lot of player quit Runescape. Damn Jagex if you see, that a lot of player leaved game, then do something. Now there is another bunch of managers which were so high that thought - LETS SPLIT COMMUNITY AND SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN? The answer to that is - what will happen what will be, nothing special you will see! This is sinking ship! IF Titanic took 2 hours, this one will need only minutes. I just don't get it, how such a huge MMORPG company dosen't know what people want! There was protests and hard discussion before EoC, then they told us "We have spent so many time and money to establish this update so we don't care." Now when they have realized their mistake they are making another one! They should decide only one way or other way! The one - EoC means slow death to Runescape, which means players will play less and less and then there will be only bots. Other way - lets make backup to all system - we lost maybe ~50,000 players/bots or even less but we get back most of community before this update. As i said in previous post, with EoC Jagex lost 50% of all players, and from those 50% was 80% normal players and 20% bots.

So you are claiming Jagex does not listen to the community about a vote for 07scape servers that only exists because part of the community made a big fuss wanting it asked for it?

I see a flaw in your logic there.

• Like 3

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Omg you are such a logical guy! I'm sorry, but jagex saw there profit! Want 07scape back, pay us and vote! And the - pay us more - there isn't f2p and you will have to pay more than main server! THIS IS ALWAYS ABOUT FAST MONEY! And you don't say - people are running to that and purchas membership only to vote, and after 3months those servers will be usless, full of bugs etc. JAGEX DONT CARE! They didnt care few months ago, they dont care right now! This is only for free money from you guys!