Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

18-2-2013 The RuneScape Bestiary

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:The Warrior

^ My PC is like 4-5 years old and was built to be able to handle high-res video playback and nothing more, so I'm not too surprised it doesn't run that well on there (easily ~20-25 fps with shadows off though.)

Ah fair enough when you said state of the art I though you meant a brand new windows 8 pc that cost like £800-£1000, my mistake.

It can run most latest games on max settings. Runescape itself runs at max settings, everything enabled, at a consistent 45+ FPS.
The problem isn't that my PC can't run it, it's that I simply can't access the content as it shows up as "Enable Local Storage" even though it IS enabled and my graphics cards IS up to date (NVIDIA GeForce 660 Ti, released last September, so it shouldn't be too outdated) and my Chrome IS the latest version.

I seriously don't know what the problem here is, but I'm quite sure it's Jagex's fault.

If your using chrome have you got any extensions that could be stopping access to your local storage? or other than that maybe your internet security software is causing an issue?

Chrome is not my browser of choice so it doesn't have any installed extensions.
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

Stats and logs

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Whoever decided to make a game such as RuneScape in HTML5 was an idiot. Seriously, just do a game rewrite in Java and it'll be so much more compatible and probably faster too.

That's the kind of stuff I sometimes hear from people, but about Java instead of HTML5.

Alphanos
[ Display Name History ]

Alphanos

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 330 posts

Whoever decided to make a game such as RuneScape in HTML5 was an idiot. Seriously, just do a game rewrite in Java and it'll be so much more compatible and probably faster too.

That's the kind of stuff I sometimes hear from people, but about Java instead of HTML5.

The selection of a programming language for a project has to depend upon your goals and requirements.

Originally, the Gowers wrote Runescape as a Java applet because they wanted the game to run inside a web browser window. They could have picked from any number of other languages otherwise. But they identified the ability to play the game without having to download anything as a major feature. This wasn't a mistake; it worked beautifully. For many years Runescape had a large audience of players who would not have even been able to try playing if a download had been required (i.e. kids in school). At the time the Gowers made this decision, Java was the only option if such a feature was required.

Over time, bits of Runescape have been migrated to C/C++ DLLs for a variety of reasons. I'm sure the developers might have liked to clean things up with a full-scale re-write, but there was no business argument to justify such an expense. But now, for the first time, there is: casual mobile users. This is a huge potential market, and it's worth the expense of a re-write to be able to target it. Nowadays there are a lot more options than Java out there. So which option should Jagex pick? Back to goals and requirements. The entire point of the re-write is to make the game accessible to casual mobile users. Which platform(s) will make that possible?

Apple has gone to great lengths to prevent Java and Flash from running on their iOS devices. This is in large part due to their financial strategy of seeking to get their 30% cut on all apps. Only by breaking or blocking other sources of apps can Apple achieve this. But now Apple has backed themselves into a corner. Their entire official justification for why it was okay to block those other platforms was that HTML5 would be able to meet all of the needs of users. So now Apple can't block HTML5.

So the only platform Jagex will be able to rely upon most of its target users having access to is HTML5. Neither in the original Java case, nor now, did they evaluate many options and pick the one with the best performance. In both cases they chose the only option available to them given the goals of the project. Any performance improvements, while welcome, will be incidental.
Alphanos
Posted Image

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
Interesting thought in passing on why they finally caved to 2000+ and 2400+ worlds:
In the coming months they are going to become substantially easier to access.
As it stands
2000 = Average of lvl 80 across all skills
2400 = Average of 96.

But as the year goes on thats gonna shift
2000 = lvl 77 and then 74 with the new skills
2400 = lvl 92 and then 89

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Miss Lioness
[ Display Name History ]

Miss Lioness

the Pyromaniac

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,491 posts
  • RSN:Miss Lioness
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts

Interesting thought in passing on why they finally caved to 2000+ and 2400+ worlds:
As it stands
2400 = Average of 96.

26*92=2392 So one needs 92 base and a plus of 8 in other skills...

The only one a tiny bit out of range =/ 8 levels is quite a lot at that range!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help[left]. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
Well if you were 92 in every skill, you could get Cooking and Firemaking to 99 for that missing 8 total.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

As it stands
2400 = Average of 96.

26*92=2392 So one needs 92 base and a plus of 8 in other skills...

The only one a tiny bit out of range =/ 8 levels is quite a lot at that range!

I did use rounded figures for simplicity, working on the basis that the likelihood of someone hitting exact average is quite slim and thus it is only needed as a rough guide.
If we are to be precise:
2000 = 80, 76.92, 74.07
2400 = 96, 92.31, 88.89

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

jayc3399
[ Display Name History ]

jayc3399

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
I'm not sure how well it would go with the community but I would love to see the game move to a downloaded client to improve gameplay. You'd actually be able to write the game in a stronger language. But thats just me.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

I'm not sure how well it would go with the community but I would love to see the game move to a downloaded client to improve gameplay. You'd actually be able to write the game in a stronger language. But thats just me.

It would be a foolish move - THE major selling point of Rs has ALWAYS been that it runs in a browser with no external download or program necessary. Changing that is basically changing the entire market of the game, the only bigger change they could make is if rs3 was suddenly not longer and mmorpg and was a platformer instead.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

jayc3399
[ Display Name History ]

jayc3399

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

It would be a foolish move - THE major selling point of Rs has ALWAYS been that it runs in a browser with no external download or program necessary. Changing that is basically changing the entire market of the game, the only bigger change they could make is if rs3 was suddenly not longer and mmorpg and was a platformer instead.

You can have MMORGPs that are platform based. All I'm saying is that moving to a client would allow them so much more flexability.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts
  • RSN:Polarbearblu
  • RSN2:Ligertype0
  • Clan:HYT
Been reading the thread for a bit and oh my globs! Trying to read this thread without clicking the spoliers is like trying not to laugh while watching a Tarantino movie. So just so I'm clear I'll need, 90 prayer, 90 strength, and near a quest cape for this new quest? Aside from being 253/270 qp from WGS, I'm think I'm 10 quest off RotM.
29386_s.gif
"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie
[Slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

jayc3399
[ Display Name History ]

jayc3399

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Been reading the thread for a bit and oh my globs! Trying to read this thread without clicking the spoliers is like trying not to laugh while watching a Tarantino movie. So just so I'm clear I'll need, 90 prayer, 90 strength, and near a quest cape for this new quest? Aside from being 253/270 qp from WGS, I'm think I'm 10 quest off RotM.

Yeah you have a ways to go in the QP requirements lol.

Archermanme.png

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

We do not know that it'll req 90 pray and str - those are just for Koschei the deathless (thought may suspect it may end up being needed to 100% all the rewards.

Anyway that aside from the BTS reqs only the following stats are required (compiled by backtracking all the required quests leading from noob > the 4 required for this quest):

As for avoiding spoilers there's not much to avoid: If you have balmung you can do the koschei thing - the 2 90s and are just extra memories that add a tiny bit more backstory, but 1 can be done level free to get the main events done.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts

And just when I bought Metal Gear Rising I have to come back to power my way through quest. Does anybody know roughly how many quest points one would have just doing all the requirements for WGS?
29386_s.gif
[Slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

PolarBearBlue
[ Display Name History ]

PolarBearBlue

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 913 posts
EDIT: Sorry for double posting.

We do not know that it'll req 90 pray and str - those are just for Koschei the deathless (thought may suspect it may end up being needed to 100% all the rewards.

Anyway that aside from the BTS reqs only the following stats are required (compiled by backtracking all the required quests leading from noob > the 4 required for this quest):

As for avoiding spoilers there's not much to avoid: If you have balmung you can do the koschei thing - the 2 90s and are just extra memories that add a tiny bit more backstory, but 1 can be done level free to get the main events done.

Oh, alright. I kind wanna 100% rewards so I guess I'll be doing more slayer for 90str. Kinda wish I paid more attention to more lore in the quest. I did play attention to all the fremmy quest and most of those dealing with the Mahjarrat, but I may need a bit of a refresher to understand plots.
29386_s.gif

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
On the topic of the bestiary:

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Miss Lioness
[ Display Name History ]

Miss Lioness

the Pyromaniac

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,491 posts
  • RSN:Miss Lioness
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts
Wow nice horse!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help[left]. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Nopenope
[ Display Name History ]

Nopenope

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Nautica
That made me smile more than it probably should've.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dreezer
[ Display Name History ]

Dreezer

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,200 posts
  • RSN:dreezer
awesome :P

Sacrificing efficiency for fun since 1991

angel2w.gif

Dreezer.png

Pirkka
[ Display Name History ]

Pirkka

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,165 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image
40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

Posted Image

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users