Not impressed by PS4

Lep

Surely therein lies the point. You don't need to "pimp it up". Ever.

'Need' and 'want' are two different things. I don't 'need' to make RS run on AAx4 to make it run smoothly, but I 'want' RS to run on AAx4 to make it look better than otherwise.

Try that on a console? Impossible

On a PC? Very possible.

PS4 maybe a Perfect Gaming PC, but it is still bound by the rules of the box, which, on a true PC, is far less restrictive.

Besides, 99% of the people on this forums do not have the problem I will undoubtedly encounter with consoles, since most of your native tongue or region have perfectly working and legal access to English games.

Not here.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Show me a decent $500 computer.

Can't get anything even half-decent for under €900 around here.

Holy hell where do you live? That's nearly enough to build a high end PC here in the states.

That article is funny, I wonder how much he was paid. :razz:

Consoles are still entirely underwhelming, and have been since I built my own computer.

It just doesn't seem like the developers are pushing hard enough. Could always hope that Valve's console comes out amazing, but I won't hold my breath.

PS4 maybe a Perfect Gaming PC, but it is still bound by the rules of the box, which, on a true PC, is far less restrictive.

I'm going to laugh at you system builders when Intel decides to scrap their socket designs and moves to a ball grid array. Then your arguments about customization and cheap upgrades will be bunk.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Not really, unless they decide to do it to the entire motherboard including Graphics, ram etc

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

PowerFrog, out of half the games on Steam, how many of them do you actually play or even, how many of them require the need for a gaming rig?

Modding may bring loads of new content to games, but it isn't something that interests mainstream consumer.

The controller thing can only goes for select games, but overall all three of these "advantages" PCs have, really aren't anything that will convince console gamers to trade in their console for a new PC gaming rig.

tFtfA.jpg

All this is confirming is just how deeply entrenched both sets of consumers are into their gaming habits. Console gamers, generally, will not be buying a PC gaming rig any time soon, and vice versa. So it's a mystery to me why PC gamers continue to comment on a thread that has such meager relevance to them.

We know you won't be buying a PS4. But that isn't because of the PS4, that's for the same reasons you won't be buying a Wii U or Xbox 720.

*backs away from thread due to Ginger's irrefutable comment* :P

tim_chenw2.png

This build was relevant as of December 2012, there will be cheaper better alternatives today.

$500 Gaming PC System Components

CPU Intel Pentium G850 (Sandy Bridge): 2.9 GHz Base Clock Rate, No Turbo Boost, 3 MB Shared L3 Cache $70

Heat Sink Intel Boxed Heat Sink and Fan 0

Motherboard ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP: LGA 1155, Intel H77 Express $70

RAM G.Skill Value Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333 F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT $34

Graphics PowerColor AX7850 1GBD5-DH: Radeon HD 7850 1 GB $170

Hard Drive Western Digital WD3200AAKX: 320 GB, 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive $65

Case Rosewill Blackbone ATX Mid-Tower $40

Power Supply Antec VP-450 450 W $36

Optical Drive LG 24x DVD Burner SATA Model GH24NS90-OEM $16

Total Price $501

The CPU is dual core and the GPU is an old model, but this thing can run pretty much any game on the market today on standard settings. (You can scrap the optical drive if you want as you can simply use USB for everything now days including setting up the OS)

The only things that ever need upgrading are the GPU and CPU, get a $15 cooler if you overclock.

"Building a computer is hard" says people that have NEVER TRIED. It's very simple. Sit down for an hour and TRY. It's very straight forward. There are billions of guides. You can pay people to do it for you.

• Like 1

CNqWHdA.jpg

I threw one together yesterday that's not quite as strong as next gen for like $425, which included OS+mouse+keyboard. The almost constant sales on PC parts if you look around makes it that much cheaper.

Should I just add "(and console/PC debate)" to the title?

My second question, am I seriously the only person who appreciates both? For me, myself, I am probably done with the console because most of the games I play do so better on a mouse + keyboard, and because having a gaming capable machine is a given so I don't need the added expense. That said, I talk about games with my PC friends, and maybe we show each other some things. With my console friends, I actually play games while getting in some face time.

It's the one thing I really miss about not even having my xbox (actual xbox) with me right now, is that it's not there for company. I don't get the wii because that belongs to my parents. Someday I will probably have both, and I can be like that person who still has an N64 (I wish I still had an N64, but I offloaded it years ago when the controllers disintegrated).

No you're not alone, I enjoy both my gaming computer and my Xbox360. Depends on the game I want to play as well.

And Powerfrog, a computer with low quality parts like that (for the most part) will only last a few years before it dies, and the HDD is quite small for today's standards.

For me, you'd have to replace the dollar signs with euro signs and multiply it with at least 1.3.

And ewww at that CPU, why not get anything from AMD? At least Newegg showed multiple better alternatives from AMD for under 75 bucks.

And yeah, I live in Eastern Europe and though I am in European Union we don't have Newegg or anything like it around here. Newegg doesn't ship here either. I might not be good enough of a searcher, but generally building a proper gaming machine is at least €900, excluding mouse, keyboard and OS. But obviously we also have different ideas of a proper gaming machine.

And as an owner of a somewhat recent (2009) gaming rig, which plays most games on much higher graphical settings than my PS3 I still use my PS3 a lot more for gaming. It has no compatibility issues or anything. And I can play all console exclusives. And as I said before, maybe you people are too unsocial people around here, but my greatest gaming experiences come from playing Halo or Fifa or NBA or NHL or whatever, splitscreen, with my best mates. I can't see anything beating that and I can't see this happening on a PC.

And I know building a computer isn't hard, I've done it myself. But it isn't as easy as picking a console out of a box, plugging it in and playing.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

And as I said before, maybe you people are too unsocial people around here, but my greatest gaming experiences come from playing Halo or Fifa or NBA or NHL or whatever, splitscreen, with my best mates. I can't see anything beating that and I can't see this happening on a PC.

I'd go a bit further and say that there are some games that I just can't imagine multiplayer with on anything other than a console. I pretty much grew up playing splitscreen multiplayer with my friends/brother, and the few mass-multiplayer games I've played on the PC just can't compare to it.

Of course, that sort of thing isn't an option for everyone.

Even though they've become rare, and I personally don't get many of them together anymore, I loved LAN parties. A bunch of us in the basement, wires and extension cords running everywhere

It was splitscreen without the "hey man you're looking at my side of the screen, cheater", I probably enjoyed these the most, but 007 splitscreen on the n64 was extremely fun too.

Hmm, I think LAN parties are something that is practically from another era now. I got my introduction to Red Alert 2 that way, when I came across it on my brothers computer after he played it at his school (my Brother playing computer games is a really hard image to imagine too, I've only ever see him play games on the computer maybe 3 times in my life).

I'm actually trying to think if my current PC has ever partaken in a LAN party, of if the last one was with it's much older predecessor. That computer had a good run, five years long with one fried GPU. It's amazing what was pretty much the top of the line then would be so underpowered now (2.4GHz, Radeon Excalibur 9800SE, lasted 2002-2009). This computer needs to see at least one LAN party before it retires, not that it's due to leave service any time soon.

LAN parties are great though. Also, we always did it so that enemy teams couldn't see each other, but could see allies. Mostly Age of Kings: Conquerors, Diablo II LoD, Red Alert 2, and Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn (notice a numerical theme to my childhood :lol:). Not sure what the party would be now. Need to find a larger group of PC enthusiasts.

You can run multiple instances of games on good computers, I often do this to play single player games competitively with friends in the same room. We also play LAN only games on a single computer using this method. (You can use multiple monitors/screens) PCs and Consoles also don't have much local multiplayer now days as it's all focused on the internet which I agree is a shame as I love playing in the same room.

The console seriously offers nothing to the table, I can play most console games on the PC using the console's controller if I wish. I can emulate Nintendo stuff easily, which happen to be the only exclusives I care for at all. My PS3, 360 and Wii are all very dusty.

"And Powerfrog, a computer with low quality parts like that (for the most part) will only last a few years before it dies"

...No? What is your reasoning behind this statement? The PSU is suitable for the parts, the mobo is actually pretty good. The GPU is excellent quality, if a little outdated by today's standards, and the CPU could admittedly use a cheap cooler if you overclock, but you don't need to overclock to play any game out there on standard settings anyway. This thing could last decades if you treat it right. Longer than the average lifespan of a console, for sure.

edit: for the record that rig is a popular budget one from December last year as stated, there are better or cheaper parts available. I used it to serve a point, it's not high tier stuff, but it runs all console games fine. My personal one is a bit overkill and cost about £1200($1700) as I do software development as a career and make use of the more powerful features.

CNqWHdA.jpg

God, LAN parties... Gonna have one with my class in our school on 19th of April.

And consoles still have local splitscreen on most games.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Lol, Lan parties, I have one tonight and if it's like the last we'll probably be around 30 or 40.

As for Powerfrog, Eww, Pentium. Asrock makes good motherboards, yes, but they're not high quality. The PSU is suitable, yes, but not part of the good PSU brands, they're better at making Cases. I would rather go with an AMD processor and a good motherboard (that will cost less than the stuff that runs Intel). The hard drive is good, but too small for most people. The RAM is good as well. I haven't had any experience with Powercolor but as far as I know the graphics card is also a good quality.

Discussing PC parts seems a little too far from the original topic of PS4s... All I'll say is the sandy/ivy bridge series of CPUs are fantastic for gaming rigs, as are high tier AMD, in either case you're almost certainly going to be bottlenecked by the GPU for gaming, especially in a budget build, so the distinction between CPUs is literally meaningless. It's a budget PC, 320gb is more than enough for a start, you can cloud or buy more storage in future if necessary.

I personally have a 250gb SSD (1gb 7200 for storage) and haven't filled the SSD or needed storage in about 6 months of owning it. PC is great like that, finish or taking a long break from a game? Uninstall it. It'll be ready to download again whenever you want, you can keep the small save files too so you don't lose any progress. Gosh SSDs are fantastic, too. Dat 2 second start up.

Does anyone have PS4 exclusives they're looking forward to?

CNqWHdA.jpg

Thoughts on xbox 720 being always online?

I took a look at that, and the best guess I saw is that Microsoft are simply letting the rumor mill spin so they can gauge the reaction. A cursory glance informs me that the console users have cottoned on to how much always online sucks, and are foaming at the mouth appropriately, so I wouldn't expect to see that make the cut. Not until all the consoles do it, or at least not without Sony doing it too.

But aren't consoles already always online? They connect as soon as we start them and the xbox360's case it continues downloading after you shut it down, if you started a download (which means it just goes into low power ot do it until complete shutdown).

Does anyone have PS4 exclusives they're looking forward to?

Fat Princess 2.

Not sure if it'll get made, but I'm looking forward to it.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

There's always a new Killzone or 2 ("Killzone Shadow Fall" on PS4), although honestly past the themes and visuals of KZ2/3 I've found little unique about them. As a Playstation fan - hesitant to call myself a fanboy, as I don't hate the 360/Microsoft - I will eventually get the PS4 since it's simply the next link in the chain. As to OP, exactly what are they to improve upon other than graphics? This question is steeped in ignorance, but what exactly do they need extra power for, gameplay-wise?

As for a game I'm looking forward to that will most certainly be on the PS4 (but not PS4 exclusive), I'd say Unreal Tournament 4. For a game that got its start on PCs and is still played (albeit in older iterations) optimally with a keyboard & mouse setup, I can hardly say I've had more fun than I did with UT3 - and even occasionally still - on the PS3.

2dgucz6.png

But aren't consoles already always online? They connect as soon as we start them and the xbox360's case it continues downloading after you shut it down, if you started a download (which means it just goes into low power ot do it until complete shutdown).

I thought this was pretty much the case as well, and assumed that much of the reaction was based on the Internet's collective foaming-at-the-mouth reaction to anything that even hints at DRM. The problems come into play if, as many people fear, you can't play at all when your connection drops, or if it prevents you from playing used games. Basically, putting the worst kinds of PC DRM on consoles, where you don't have less restrictive options available.

So pretty much whether they go with "Always online, but it's cool if you're not" or "Always online, and [bleep] you if you're not".