Tip.It Times - 24th February 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

@Short Term Gain, Long Time Pain

1. Comparison to Classic: Firstly, you can't directly compare to classic. Many more people actually played during 2007 than the classic days, and secondly this is an earlier version of RS2, the current version of RuneScape. Classic is a whole different dynamic. (also classic didn't get over 350k votes asking for it to come back).

2. It will be different than you remember: I'd like to say I thought this would be the case, and it would be good. It won't be exactly the same as you remember and that's what will keep you playing. However, I expected it to be quite a bit different than I remember, but it's actually very close to what I remember and I love it. Yes the nostalgia is great, but it's definitely not just that which makes this so appealing. Yes there are updates that happened later that I love and will miss, but it's still a lot of fun the way it is. I'm having a blast working my way through content that I haven't played in 9 years! It's great to take in content that was only used once and play through again, all the quests, working my way through low level content. It's giving life to this old content and I'm liking every minute of it, the nostalgia, the fresh start, the new economy... I can see myself playing for a while (I have so much already I can't wait to do).

3. Lots of bots in RS: Jagex will likely use their new bot tech in the servers, but looking at current Runescape shows how successful that is. There will likely be lots of bots in Main RS and old school RS. So it's not like there's much choice here?

Also you keep mentioning a screwed up economy with weird supply and demand. How is this screwed up? The economy is just starting and it whatever it evolves into won't be screwed, it will just be different from main RS. How is this a bad thing? I love the whole idea about it, I find it to be refreshing (one of the differences from not being the same as I remember, but this adds to the longevity of the servers I'd say).

4.Most players that return will leave: I definitely think there will be a lot of people who leave soon after, but I'm not so sure about most. Since these servers don't cater everyone 100% I don't think anyone is expecting all people who voted to stay long term.

Onto your negative points:

1. Splitting community: Yes it likely will to some extent. But since you seem to be so sure it will fail as mentioned by the other points, the splitting of the community would be very minor in that case. So I don't see a problem. It will be a big split if it's successful or a minor split if it's not.

2. Take Jagex considerable time: Well not really, they got the servers up and most big bugs fixed in just less than 2 weeks of development with a small team. There is still more work to be done, but it will be fairly quick, and with only few people. Nothing to worry about here.

Also I realise this was written before it actually came out so I understand some of this was just speculation.

• Like 1

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

on '2013' :

Ts_Stormrage makes a lot of good points, I had not considered the private 2006 servers in this equation, since I I shut down talk about these things in my cc.

'On the whole, RuneScape is RuneScape.' : Absolutely!

'it is simplicity itself that they want ' : this seems true for at least part of the players I know who like '07, specially a few older players and some who are much more casual about playing seem to have trouble with EOC.

It took me, I am older myself, quite a lot of time to learn EOC, including a long stint at the Dominion Tower. I must also ad that even though I like EOC now, I would have definitely voted against it if asked before hand.

It took me being invested in Runescape, really mostly the community, and the realization that I had no choice but learn to get me to appreciating EOC.

It is the love of the RS community, which in part is my extended family, that makes me object to 07 so much.

'nobody had ever really needed to go into the Wilderness' : When Jagex brought back wilderness I suggested they made an effort to make the wilderness be attractive to non-pkers also. This would have made for exiting content for those players and .. yes.. targets for pk-ers, with the whole dynamic of cat and mouse.

We indeed only see this a little with penguins now.

I certainly hope the conclusion of this article is way to pessimistic though..

On 'The "good" old days?'

Very clever, the use of the first two paragraphs, and it shows what I think is the truth of the matter: a part of the community will never be happy with any change and always complain. The first article is right that EOC is not what it should be ( yet?) and that micro payments annoy the crap out of a lot of people, but, I still maintain those are not the real reasons reasons to actually quit for the vast majority of players.

0n my own article:

It seems our pixelated lives overtook my article rather fast.

Some of it changed, a lot stayed the same.

I did not realize when writing this how invested Jagex is in 2007scape, it still surprises me, since you can not expect to build a future on 6 year old content. Jagex is pushing the vote, has pushed the release including a lot of overtime and taking a lot of personnel away from the live game. If the vote reaches 500k, which it very well might with this level of investment by Jagex, some things will change.

I still think most of the returning players will soon move on again to what ever made them stop the first time, but 2007scape will have a longer life then I expected. If it becomes free I think most of the population that will make up the 07 community will be players who would have normally played the EOC game instead and /or are playing both. It takes commitment to start over, an ability and willingness to invest, that would have also helped these people enjoy the live game.

Some things in my article already came true,

It did take Jagex a lot of developer time to ad 07scape, as shown by their comments about overtime, diverting a lot of personnel and the need to postpone the new quest and possibly the new skill. They are not done yet either..

Bots are already prevalent in 07 ( I read this on the forums and heard it from clanmates, i can not play 07, since I refuse to 'vote'.

Curiously goldfarmer bots are largely gone from the live game a.t.m.

As far as 07 not being as people remember.. the first days many clanmates pmed us asking where to get 'so and so' , why was there no '(fill in what ever advance made after 07 you like ). The forums are full with 07 players asking for changes and additions .

I hope the 500k votes will not be reached, so 07 will require an investment making people less likely to spread them selfs thin and play both and I hope most my friends , clanmates will soon return after having enjoyed a visit to the past.

At the moment between 0 and 20 % of my clanmates on the game seem to be in 07, which is quite annoying, since they can not join the clan chat.

Well when you have 1 game continuously updated, and an older version of that game that gets to pick and choose what updates it wants added...

What else would you call it?

500k votes is required for this to happen, starting friday... Although I see reports of some mods willing to do this at 460k-480k votes too...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

It did take Jagex a lot of developer time to ad 07scape, as shown by their comments about overtime, diverting a lot of personnel and the need to postpone the new quest and possibly the new skill. They are not done yet either..

It was less than 2 weeks (when they originally said 1-2 months) and yes sounded like some overtime, but that's not much developer time, especially since it was only a small team and only a fraction of the whole RuneScape staff.

Also the quest was likely delayed because if it was released at the same time as OSRS then it wouldn't have recieved as much attention as it deserved. I don't know much about this quest, but from what I heard it is to be a new grandmaster quest that Jagex have been working on for close to a year? If that's the case, maybe they needed an extra week to give it that final polish, it's not like it's unheard of that Software development often gets delayed.

The fact that players on OSRS and RS has roughly the same concurrent users shows how popular it is (not to mention that RS includes a whole heap of bots and f2p players), so OSRS has significantly more members playing on the launch. (And I'm not saying that as to say OSRS will be/is more popular, obviously on launch it is likely to have inflated numbers, but it's just to show how much support and interest it holds).

Also it's a week... for a quest. People acting like Jagex have failed them miserably because of a one week wait really need to calm down and get over it, a week of extra QA and development will make it even better.

Also where did they say it would possibly delay the new skill? (not to mention that doesn't make sense since OSRS has their own small development team).

• Like 2

nabsigmar2011.png

The thing is, it's not the wait!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

@2013: I think you could have omitted the first paragraph, and your argument would have been a long stronger, Ts_Stormrage. I am not the only one who thinks you have a precedent here of articles with a negative tone.

That said, I generally agree WITH that argument, even if I don't agree with all your conclusions. I'll get to that in a sec because the other articles speak to those points and I'll address them then.

@The “Good” Old Days?:

I appreciate the comparisons of the August 2007 snapshot to the current game, if only to provide readers with an opportunity to slip off the perspective of nostalgia for a second. But I don't consider unidentified herbs a positive, though; I'm still remembering swampjedi explaining his elaborate bank setup to avoid scams on unids. It's an old concept, back to RS1/Classic, if I remember, but I think in the long term grimy/clean has been more practical.

Oh, and I didn't see the advantage before the GE... I never participated in bank sales and I detested standing around Varrock Square (as a f2p player, but I went members shortly after the RS2 beta), or Falador East Bank. I smell autotyper scripts resurfacing.

@Short Term Gain, Long Term Pain!:

It's been a pleasure reading your articles lately, Dracae, and the numbered points make it much easier to read and understand. Great formatting.

General thoughts:

Well, I'm hanging with an old clan I used to belong to on Friends Chat... so I don't entirely agree with the sentiment of the lack of modern clan chats, at least, not yet. Quite a few of those members are spending a lot of time on 2007 servers and I'm getting enough nostalgia from just that, and they are actively using an fc that didn't see much activity otherwise. I'm done with clans (officially belonging to them), generally speaking, and so my other consistent use for Friend Chats is to visit communities that have open participation (i.e. membership not required) for various minigames and bosses (I don't boss much but enjoy Demon Flash mobs). I participate and have no real ambition to get ranked. Or, y'know, just to talk as I was saying. It gives me just enough of the old vibe of the community (as of now), without stepping back to the snapshot.

In a word: I rather like the current arrangement for fairly individual and personal reasons.

About nostalgia-- when I started Runescape in 2003, I was at a very low point in my life, and I am not ashamed to say so (at least not anymore). I had crashed out of undergrad studies and had just started a family (a little girl who is now crazy about this game and J-pop), and was fighting the good fight from welfare-to-work all the way down to legitimate, full disability benefits. It was ugly and horrible and I don't think I need to justify a little escapism a whole ton of people (especially my age) have done. (So... you're dead wrong, Silverion, if you can even be bothered to read. Eat those words. Eat 'em.)

I did the Classic lookback, remembered it took forever to get anywhere, and saw a stream of bots from Lumbridge. So... I wasn't going to look at the members' content I missed. Maybe someday, when I am really bored and face the unlikely prospect of nothing to do. I almost missed the RS2 version of Tutorial Island, had it not been for a Halloween TIP.IT event. That's right, folks, this community gave me a ticket to look at what I'd missed, so I'm not missing it now! An RS2 look of the F2P quests (save second half of Dragon Slayer) is all I'm missing, and I'm not interested to go look.

There is no childhood wonder to go back to, only ashes from which I am managing to rise above. Yeah, I still play, but my second child, a son, also has special needs (high-functioning autism), and my daughter is struggling in school. I'm doing everything for my wife and kids that I can do... so I don't want anyone to think for a moment that I neglect them even if they are enthralled sometimes with what I'm doing in this game.

Yeah... on top of continuing back problems. Last hint ya get folks, if you did the math, though, respect my privacy and don't go blabbing what my other identity is. I am merely a metaphorical ghost that right now is reminding you of what it really used to be like... in Runescape, and on these forums. That's all.

Yes, I do want Jagex to fix problems with the current live game. Yes, I want them to bring skilling more up to the bar that EoC set... if it's mostly with Ports and Ports-like content... so be it.

@Ts_Stormrage- I agreed with alot of your points expect for the slap in the face remark. Having the 2007 servers isn't a slap in the face to those who made eoc or a protest against it. (If they made the servers just before the eoc than it would be.) Now if they removed eoc than it would be a different story.

@Hamtaro- Good article, but "Original and great quests won’t be arbitrarily removed from the game" statement to me was weak. Doric' Quest and the Runecrafting quest weren't orginal or great quests at all. In fact, their replacements were much much better, and had more lore. The same goes with almost all the quests that they changed expect for one, Demon Slayer. The way I look at it the old Demon Slayer and the New Demon Slayer are equal in originality and how great they are. The only difference is that the new one is faster.

The last article was so so.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

Well when you have 1 game continuously updated, and an older version of that game that gets to pick and choose what updates it wants added...

What else would you call it?

500k votes is required for this to happen, starting friday... Although I see reports of some mods willing to do this at 460k-480k votes too...

MMG has stated 480k votes would do. I can certainly understand your conclusion, and it is a fear of mine that you might be correct, I am hopin gthough that you are not .

That Wilderness Guardians sig of yours brings back memories sinc I played games that actualy looked like that.. moving dots on the bare minimum of a map. I have actualy replayed some old Amiga and Comodore 64 games here and there ( Starflight!!!).. but that gets old again soon. I understand nostalgia, but there is no future in it.. literlay and figuratively.

It was less than 2 weeks (when they originally said 1-2 months) and yes sounded like some overtime, but that's not much developer time, especially since it was only a small team and only a fraction of the whole RuneScape staff.

Who says it was only a fraction of the staf? I read otherwise, out of the 'pen'of J-mods who said they got a lot of the staf to test 07, besides it is not done yet.. they are constantly working on it and already messed up by glitching the clan highscores.

Also the quest was likely delayed because if it was released at the same time as OSRS then it wouldn't have recieved as much attention as it deserved. I don't know much about this quest, but from what I heard it is to be a new grandmaster quest that Jagex have been working on for close to a year? If that's the case, maybe they needed an extra week to give it that final polish, it's not like it's unheard of that Software development often gets delayed.

If the quest had been delayed because it needed more time, that would have been totaly fine, hapenes a lot. It was not however, since an other J-mod stated the quest was fully completed. Sadly I do not have quickfind codes, so you you can choose to believe me or not.. up to you, I for one want all I contend to be true as far as I know it to be true. It is possible the quest was delayed because it and 07 would otherwise be competing for atention.. if that is the case, how do you justify postponing something already anounced for the live game to do a sideproject a week or 2 early?

The fact that players on OSRS and RS has roughly the same concurrent users shows how popular it is (not to mention that RS includes a whole heap of bots and f2p players), so OSRS has significantly more members playing on the launch. (And I'm not saying that as to say OSRS will be/is more popular, obviously on launch it is likely to have inflated numbers, but it's just to show how much support and interest it holds).

I do not doubt many players like to, at least for a little bit, revisit the past. I would have if it had not requirered a vote. You should not overdo it though, it was at max about 40/ 60 07/13. Someone who like me seems to have to much time on their hads tracked it on the forums. As far as bots are concerned, I do not know from personal experience how many 07 has, but I hear a lot of them and see many offers to sell gold for 07 already, which has to come from somewere. I can tell you, from having seen it with my own eyes that most goldfarmer bots are as we speak gone from the live game. No more wilderness green dragon bots what so ever in any world.. I liek to kill them, so I looked . The mature grotworms are doable again since there are a lot less bots and those there seem to be player-owned-bots. Same for runeessence mine. Summers garden is empty in some worlds, and till populated in others. This would suggest the numbers need to be adjuasted in favor of the live game.

If however 07 continues to be more popular thenJagex, like TS-stormrage said, has really shot themselves in their foot, since there is no way you can build a future on nostalgia.

Also it's a week... for a quest. People acting like Jagex have failed them miserably because of a one week wait really need to calm down and get over it, a week of extra QA and development will make it even better.

It is not the week that matters, it is the slap in the face of the loyal players who normaly do not rant and rave. This part of the community would fully understand a delay for technical reasons, but noone can seriously contend rushing 07 is a good reason, since 07 was suposed to take 2 months anyway and the poll is not even closed.

Also where did they say it would possibly delay the new skill? (not to mention that doesn't make sense since OSRS has their own small development team).

They did not, it was asserted on the forums, that is why I did not state this as a fact. OSRS having a small development team seems to not be likely. If they had enough programmers to spare they would have fixed the to some rather disasterous clan highscore glitch already. That is also part of 07 developement, sicne 07 servervisits by clanmates caused this glitch.

thejollyroger:

Thanks for the compliment, some of the credit goes to the editors. i do like to use separated points, but the numbers were the editor. Very good job b.tw. .

Your 'story' put a smile of recognition on my face, literaly and I don't mean the compliment, but you looking back.

I am glad you enjoy my articles, and its a pitty Darthaddict did not, but I will be honest, this subject has gotten me to be a bit too negative. Depending on if teh Times publishes all I sent them, you might see why. So I really should stop and go back to enjoying the game.

I just thought of something, Tip.it itself is a little bit 'old school' since it is one of the first fansites around ( I think) and THE one I always used. I must admit I use wikia a lot now also, but it does not have thought provoking articles and forums to share those thoughts on.

Tip.it itself is a little bit 'old school' since it is one of the first fansites around ( I think)

I believe it is THE first (or at least the first which is still running). Which is why we be awesome. ;)

• Like 1

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

:o Hi since I saw 07scape unexpectedly came back and then I saw these 2 articles about it... Then I just clicked over and read 2 articles :D

@Short Term Gain, Long Term Pain

Dude I really agree on you :D 07Scape ain't staying too long and the community is surely gonna be split up... Had the same idea that they should put clan chat in old rs too! And bots! I'm sure as long as RS exists, bots will exist as well :I I am a Chinese myself and I have to agree that there are too many 'Chinese' bots :S (quite ashamed of my own country)

But anyway... As Jagex gets pressed on bringing back 07scape... They have to "act according to their players' will" and satisfy them with what they (emotional) want. I personally did not join RS before the release of the newer RS2 version, but I have played the old RS2 version of RS private servers :S to see why do most players want it back. Then what I saw was mostly the PKing that they are proud of. Just as you said, Pkers of the 'easy and fast gratification' type have a hard time with EOC. They aren't really willing to change and they miss the old days that they had fun owning others around :o But somehow this type of players are a bit more in the overall proportion of players and so... we see the result....

For the time and staff needed for the development of the game, I do understand it takes a considerable time to put into these servers because I have had (a little bit xD) experience in coding and to even sustain the servers........... To be honest if I had to choose between EOC or 07Scape, I'd choose EOC and to spend a bit of time to be adapted to it. This really really save more time for Jagex to put more effort they should now to the actual game........... Afterall, we all just wanted to 'show off' and feel a sense of achievement, isn't it? xD

@2013

SIMPLICITY!!!!!!!! That's exactly the same as what I thought people wanted 07Scape back as one of the reasons! Well I also like simplicity myself xD but I understand things have to come to a change... and while some are fond of the memories, they can't just stop new players from joining... (I'm guessing) Especially in this time where the whole world's economy's getting worse overtime, Jagex needs to eat... They aren't robots afterall >.< It can't stay at that age just for the old players. Memories are memories, but you can't keep them forever. You have to go on. So why can't people let go....

Oh well, if you want to keep being an experienced player, then go on and learn about the EoC, the new updates! (Maybe) RuneScape is a game that has some real big evolution, with the situation it has now, it's got to follow up with the world.... It's true that if one friend prefers the EoC while the other prefers the 07Scape, they may eventually not talk to each other anymore (if they only talk about RS stuff) then some of the community gets split up. Maybe they aren't willing to spend anymore time to this game to learn stuff all over again.... Anyway, to conclude, the possible reasons that players wanted old school back are that they want to feel proud... be simple.. be unique... and even, maybe just to follow their friends on supporting it. I do agree with you, with most of the reasons, and hope this get back to normal soon >_<

The above are my own expressions and agreements on your articles... I'm sorry if I unintentionally insulted someone or hurt someone or am actually wrong about some facts :S (I'm not really good at using words!) But afterall, from what I've seen, RuneScape has the biggest community I've ever seen from the games I've played. This is one thing that I'm quite proud with RS. While we might be too negative, pessimistic >_< on what is happening... I hope people feel better when it's all over and gets back to normal, whatsover the consequences or results. We all have our feelings and opinions but Jagex got to follow what most players want.... I just hope that RS Community still stays what it is, so enthusiastic, so willing to give their time, idea and opinions on this MMORPG.

PS: Wow have no idea I talked that much O_O

Who says it was only a fraction of the staf? I read otherwise, out of the 'pen'of J-mods who said they got a lot of the staf to test 07, besides it is not done yet.. they are constantly working on it and already messed up by glitching the clan highscores.

Yeah that's fair enough, there probably were quite a few testing it (perhaps more than normal as people who don't usually spend time testing would probably be willing to give it a go). And yes it's not done yet, I know, but the dedicated team will take care of that.

If the quest had been delayed because it needed more time, that would have been totaly fine, hapenes a lot. It was not however, since an other J-mod stated the quest was fully completed. Sadly I do not have quickfind codes, so you you can choose to believe me or not.. up to you, I for one want all I contend to be true as far as I know it to be true. It is possible the quest was delayed because it and 07 would otherwise be competing for atention.. if that is the case, how do you justify postponing something already anounced for the live game to do a sideproject a week or 2 early?

You can easily justify it: 1. Release 07 early and increase popularity hugely making the hundreds of thousands of people who voted happy = more money (continuing to build on the excitement and momentum), or 2. Release a quest which provides a few hours of content. Also as Jagex said, it's not really just a side project, it's a new service launched by Jagex.

I do not doubt many players like to, at least for a little bit, revisit the past. I would have if it had not requirered a vote. You should not overdo it though, it was at max about 40/ 60 07/13. Someone who like me seems to have to much time on their hads tracked it on the forums. As far as bots are concerned, I do not know from personal experience how many 07 has, but I hear a lot of them and see many offers to sell gold for 07 already, which has to come from somewere. I can tell you, from having seen it with my own eyes that most goldfarmer bots are as we speak gone from the live game. No more wilderness green dragon bots what so ever in any world.. I liek to kill them, so I looked . The mature grotworms are doable again since there are a lot less bots and those there seem to be player-owned-bots. Same for runeessence mine. Summers garden is empty in some worlds, and till populated in others. This would suggest the numbers need to be adjuasted in favor of the live game.

If however 07 continues to be more popular thenJagex, like TS-stormrage said, has really shot themselves in their foot, since there is no way you can build a future on nostalgia.

I'm assuming you're talking about this which backs me up: http://www.misplaced.../2007online.php

I agree with your last part, while I want it to be very successful, I hope that main RS still has most popularity as it may be concerning that Jagex's most popular product is just the older version of it's current product. However, the game is not just nostalgia, most people seem to think it is. There are many reasons why 07 appeals to people, and while I enjoy the nostalgia aspects of it, I enjoy the game and the fresh start prospects more (but the game is surprising me, I thought the nostalgia aspect would get old fast but I'm still loving it, and that's probably because there is so much to do before it even starts to get old).

Also these stats I got right now:

Date: 2013-02-27 22:45:00

Live Users: 53,410 [49.75%]

2007 Users: 53,954 [50.25%]

It is not the week that matters, it is the slap in the face of the loyal players who normaly do not rant and rave. This part of the community would fully understand a delay for technical reasons, but noone can seriously contend rushing 07 is a good reason, since 07 was suposed to take 2 months anyway and the poll is not even closed.

bringing 07 out sooner was a smart business move, in the end Jagex are doing it to better position themselves, they are hoping it will be as successful as possible and if they succeed it will benefit all RS players. In this extra week they are likely to continue testing it, and you never know, it might just end up slightly better with the extra testing.

They did not, it was asserted on the forums, that is why I did not state this as a fact. OSRS having a small development team seems to not be likely. If they had enough programmers to spare they would have fixed the to some rather disasterous clan highscore glitch already. That is also part of 07 developement, sicne 07 servervisits by clanmates caused this glitch.

nabsigmar2011.png

Tip.it itself is a little bit 'old school' since it is one of the first fansites around ( I think)

I believe it is THE first (or at least the first which is still running). Which is why we be awesome. ;)

Gugge, Lightning, and Rab worked on another game with Andrew before Runescape, so the connections go pretty far back. I wasn't there, so I'm going on what I've heard, and what Gugge confirmed for me. She's still around, so I'll let her speak for herself (if she so wishes) as far as her involvement.

http://forum.tip.it/...y-back-machine/ and http://classic-web.a...scape/index.php for more info. Note that KS_Jeppe founded Runehead before moving on to bigger things IRL, and that I *can* speak on, having worked with her.

The forums were known as "Scapeboard"... don't think I recall that, I mostly stuck website-side until about 2004, just a little bit before the RS2 beta. I'd been told Andrew was envious for a time since the first iteration of the RSOF was pretty bad, but I can't confirm that.

But whoa there, cowboy, I wouldn't be too quick to call "awesome". I do hope things have changed, but there was a lot of backstabbing before you joined Staff. Newptor being dumped when he had his stroke comes to mind (no matter what Lightning said, he was aware). I have no problems at all pointing that out, and dragging out the old "yes, really, Andrew Gower *did* threaten a lawsuit against Tip.It, and for a Times article, no less" story. Such a dirty time, and Zybez/RSC hit below the belt and called a "we're not like that, we're better than Tip.It" openly on their site... of course, the in-game filter still stars out the name of that site for a variety of reasons, so they took their karma hit, I guess. Take that, w13.

Yes, Jagex kindly promotes things here still-- I think there was a mention of the Daily-Weekly activities section, specifically. But other sites have got that Platinum Award now, not Tip.It. It's been a long time since this fansite has been in such close contact with Jagex, and from what I could see, things deteriorated before Andrew and Paul left the Jagex BoD. They're gone, I doubt either visits here anymore the way they once did, and I sincerely doubt that articles that continue to complain about Jagex encourages any Jagex employee to visit much more than is seen to be needed.

Yep, it's way harsh, but I've seen a lot of inflated egos around here for a long time. I know most disgruntled folks just eventually go away with not much fanfare (even RaenonD faded away and seemed moderately chillax when I had the fortune... or misfortune to talk to him), but... binyam, the guy who created the Times, was a friend, and I still see enough worth in the section to keep coming back and say a few things-- including where Tip.It has REALLY been. Keep it in mind... or don't.

Winlo

I personaly think you should not be ashamed for others from CHina who farm and sell rs gold, that is not your doing and not your responsibility. In fact maybe I should not even call gold farmers 'Chines bots' since I am sure they are not only from China.

( Tip.it has more articles by me laying around, so the term might still be seen in future, lol )

Nabbagad

I was not talking about the lijnk you showed, interesting and disconcerting piece of data. I had seena a different set of numbers, or rather a diferent sourse, so the last 2 days are new to me.

We seem to differ in opinion on justification, partly likely because I actually do not think this is a good bussines desision, I think they will make less then they might think and it will cost in the long term.

In dutch we have a term, relating to soccer: 'paniekvoetbal', it looks like that, a panicked rush forward, risking all in the hopes of a goal.

As far as you liking playing on 07 servers, I cant and wont comment or judge on that, people and their tastes differ, that is fine.

thejollyroger

There is so much history , on this site,on rs, even with some people I know on rs and soem clans. Some good, some bad.. I try to not hold grudges and succeed at times.. I remember some times ..in soul wars clans.. o.m.g. the drama..

I have a little more history with Tip.it then the 58 posts make it seem, there was some problem with the forums, I don't remember very well,, that whiped a hell of a lot of posts by me ( and all others ) from the record and for a while I didn't go back after that.

I don't really know anyone here though, exept from reading articles and posts.

What I do have an opinion about how ever is Zybez: I do not liek the site what so ever, because they have ads by goldsellers, or atleast did last time I looked.. I do not like that at all... a little personal pet pee.. lol..not liking cheating.. or sof.

Winlo

I personaly think you should not be ashamed for others from CHina who farm and sell rs gold, that is not your doing and not your responsibility. In fact maybe I should not even call gold farmers 'Chines bots' since I am sure they are not only from China.

( Tip.it has more articles by me laying around, so the term might still be seen in future, lol )

Nabbagad

I was not talking about the lijnk you showed, interesting and disconcerting piece of data. I had seena a different set of numbers, or rather a diferent sourse, so the last 2 days are new to me.

We seem to differ in opinion on justification, partly likely because I actually do not think this is a good bussines desision, I think they will make less then they might think and it will cost in the long term.

In dutch we have a term, relating to soccer: 'paniekvoetbal', it looks like that, a panicked rush forward, risking all in the hopes of a goal.

As far as you liking playing on 07 servers, I cant and wont comment or judge on that, people and their tastes differ, that is fine.

thejollyroger

There is so much history , on this site,on rs, even with some people I know on rs and soem clans. Some good, some bad.. I try to not hold grudges and succeed at times.. I remember some times ..in soul wars clans.. o.m.g. the drama..

I have a little more history with Tip.it then the 58 posts make it seem, there was some problem with the forums, I don't remember very well,, that whiped a hell of a lot of posts by me ( and all others ) from the record and for a while I didn't go back after that.

I don't really know anyone here though, exept from reading articles and posts.

What I do have an opinion about how ever is Zybez: I do not liek the site what so ever, because they have ads by goldsellers, or atleast did last time I looked.. I do not like that at all... a little personal pet pee.. lol..not liking cheating.. or sof.

wot

Nabbagad

Okay fair enough, we all have opinions and I do see where you are coming from but I still think you're being a bit too pessimistic about it all. Anyway I guess we'll leave it at that and watch and see how it goes ;)

nabsigmar2011.png

I thought the 2013 article was pretty ignorant. Seems whilst playing EOC he managed to forget that there are some players out there who like PKing, which EOC killed completely. Is that a logical enough reason? That 2007scape allows you to do what you actually enjoyed about runescape?

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

wot

Yup, I can verify. I don't know if they still remain, because I have an edited .hosts file that blocks stuff pretty aggressively at the IP level, including ads. But they most definitely have had goldselling ads in the past.

To be fair, this is something every fansite runs into from time to time. I can't see these either, but I know Silverion has used Google's AdSense, which came with humorous results sometimes (because it's keyword based), but also sometimes wound up with bad ads. Then Runehead had some problems with a particular advertiser-- I can't remember all the details, but I had to agree with the site admin at the time-- always best to have a secure browser.

But Zybez had it out so blatantly and up front that I really have trouble believing it was unintentional. There's a reason why Jagex has blacklisted them by way of the in-game filter.

wot

Yup, I can verify. I don't know if they still remain, because I have an edited .hosts file that blocks stuff pretty aggressively at the IP level, including ads. But they most definitely have had goldselling ads in the past.

To be fair, this is something every fansite runs into from time to time. I can't see these either, but I know Silverion has used Google's AdSense, which came with humorous results sometimes (because it's keyword based), but also sometimes wound up with bad ads. Then Runehead had some problems with a particular advertiser-- I can't remember all the details, but I had to agree with the site admin at the time-- always best to have a secure browser.

But Zybez had it out so blatantly and up front that I really have trouble believing it was unintentional. There's a reason why Jagex has blacklisted them by way of the in-game filter.

No, I was pointing out that he thought we shouldn't be ashamed of those who farm gold to sell it, then proceeds to say he doesn't like Zybez because it displays gold selling adverts.

I thought the 2013 article was pretty ignorant. Seems whilst playing EOC he managed to forget that there are some players out there who like PKing, which EOC killed completely. Is that a logical enough reason? That 2007scape allows you to do what you actually enjoyed about runescape?

This is something that bemuses me.. it is weird to me, to hear a lot about pk-ing being destroyed by EOC.

I have some pretty avid pk-ers in my clan and where the ..lets say average pk-er agrees , the best ones do not.

These top level pk-ers were the best and are still the best, EOC or no EOC , 1 actualy does also not like EOC..because pk-ing is to easy now.. where most say its to hard..

It seems to me it is not a matter of Pk-ing being destroyed, but rather changed.. and it takes an effort and also some ability to deal with the change, but iwhen you do and learn the new methodes you could be just as effective again as before.

I think there is an other problem with wilderness though, one I think JAgex should fix: unlike the real old days, the wilderness is not atractive to non-pk-ers anymore. With that there is a lot less 'victems'to play cat and mouse with.

Why does anyone who is not a pk-er actualy do in the wiklderness, exept hunt the ocasional penguin:?

On a diferent note:

JAgex is giving us all 6 months of free 07, which will surely help it mainain popularity. I cant help but wonder what they were thinking.. do they not realise a flourishing 07 means a less populated live game?

It is actualy possible 07 will remain as popular or even get more popular then the live game.. if that hapens, what does Jagex think to do then?

Lets look at the options:

- No change, they continue to develope the live game at the dame page, but for less return, since less players play these updates.

- Develope 07 and 13 concurent, which costs more in programmer time or means less updates for 13, making it even less atractive.

This has a side problem of 07 users on the forums being split about 50/50 for and agrainst updates.. so an other split on top of the 07/13 split.

- They fire most their staf and sit back, going: "wow , we hit a gold mine, a lot of income without having to develope anything." Great shareholdervalue.. at a short term.

If I had not bla blaed so much about this subject already.. this would have made an other article, lol..

wot

No, I was pointing out that he thought we shouldn't be ashamed of those who farm gold to sell it, then proceeds to say he doesn't like Zybez because it displays gold selling adverts.

You misunderstood.

I told Winlo specificaly she should not be ashamed to be Chinese, basicaly, because some Chinese people oparate goldfarmer bots.

That would be like me being ashamed to be Dutch because Geert Wilders is also Dutch, or maybe if you are so inclined, because some Dutch people sell pot to foreigners,

I hate bots and all cheating, every gp, xp and qp on my account , exept for some (birthday)gifts I got myself, wityhout sharing, without buying, without botting and that is how it should be. This is a game.. games should be PLAYED and enjoyed that way.

• Like 1

Why do I have a feeling that next issue of the Tip It Times has an article regarding The World Wakes =/

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.