A dying skill?

constrictor

Wasn't construction always meant to be a gold sink anyway. Not sure why it suddenly must become the pinnacle of efficiency. Sure, it'd be cool if they can spice it up with more features to refresh interest, but the skill itself doesn't really seem broken.

Because when construction was released, there wasn't any high level content and therefore efficiency wasn't essential for everyone who wants to access high level content. If Jagex had said back then, "We're releasing a really cool D&D that requires 90 Slayer/Runecrafting/Prayer (etc.)" they'd have been laughed out of the RSOF. We're talking about a time where Barrows was the best sets of armours and the abyssal whip and a rune defender were the weapons to have. None of those things require much in the way of "efficiency" to obtain, so if you had any spare cash, you could afford to spend it on construction.

Fast forward six or seven years, and that's not the case any more. There's a relatively huge amount of high level content. Nowadays, we have tens of thousands of players using things like PoP. Anything that requires money to be spent on must also contribute to efficiency in some way; 92 Prayer for soul split; 96 Herblore for Ovls (etc.); 90 Crafting/Runecrafting/Smithing to make PoP armours. Construction offers nothing past level 72, apart from aesthetics, and so there's simply no need to train it when there's other things to spend gold on.

Nowadays, if it doesn't make you more efficient or improve your combat potential, it ain't worth it. Construction does not, and never did, help towards either of those two aims (gilded altar excepted, but even then you can use someone else's).

Furthermore, on the Runecrafting point, Jagex have made very clear indications they wish the skill to be less about making ammo for magic spells, and more about making Runecrafting to Magic what Smithing is to Melee, and what Crafting is to Ranged.

^I'd also add no-one is asking for it to become something that is not a gold sink - people simply want it to have a practical use.

A gold sink most don't train due to it providing almost nothing of use is not a very good gold sink at all.

I mean PoH do have a few useful features:

1) Portals

2) Altar

3) Obelisk

4) Costume storage

5) Pet storage

6) Armour repairs

7) Tool racks/shelves

8) Teletabs

9) Bookcase for lore lovers/bank clearing.

Unfortunately almost all of these are some what negated these days

1) Lodestones eliminate all but the Canafis portal as useful - and that one can be ignored easily with things like fairy rings, Draken medallion etc.

2) Altar still has a use, but in terms of training speed it is better to use someone elses, and even if you do want your own you only need level 72

3) Obelisk sort of has a vague use, but it was never that great - there's plenty of other easy to hit ones right by major bank hubs (eg edge)

4) Costume storage is brilliant, but with flatpacks can be obtained with almost no training

5) Pet storage holds a use atm but they intend to move all pets into the customisation interface negating the need for pet storage

6) Armour repairs are of course awesome, but thats like lvl 50 something to build and you can use other peoples

7) Tool racks and shelves have been rendered almost entirely useless via leprechaun storage and the toolbelt - the few items they still offer that aren't on there can be easily gotten from other locations.

8) Teletabs still have a use (mostly home tabs for modified teles though) but again can be done at very low levels.

9) Bookcase still holds use but its not exactly ever been a HUUUUGGGGGE use and again very low level to get it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

A lot of cool ideas here.

And yeah, Construction is not the best skill, it's cool, but it has no use, it's just a money sink.

Using some of the others idea's, here's a list.

• Bank Chest - Just a chest in the house; can't be used in building mode. (Idea from Platinum_Myr)

• Skilling Add-Ons - Wasn't sure what to name this but, as Platinum Myr has said, could have items that are for other skills (e.g herblore) that can only be made in a house that are untradeable, like.. fish, weapons & armour, special herbs / plants.

• Underground Shafts - A place under your house (not like the dungeons) that you can build which can store killable monsters which are for slayer taks, can create minecart systems, etc.

• House Communities (Credit: Constrictor) - A house which multiple people can build at once, possible ideas for this could be incorporating the Skilling Add-Ons idea, making it so you need friends to create the untradeable items.

So yeah, most of them are others, just a place to see 'em all.

Some very good ideas. Though on the housing communities idea, I was saying that you could, essentially, have a village with you and your closest friends (maybe up 6?) and that would allow you to train with them, etc.

Could be really laggy though depending on the person.

Wasn't construction always meant to be a gold sink anyway. Not sure why it suddenly must become the pinnacle of efficiency. Sure, it'd be cool if they can spice it up with more features to refresh interest, but the skill itself doesn't really seem broken.

Because when construction was released, there wasn't any high level content and therefore efficiency wasn't essential for everyone who wants to access high level content. If Jagex had said back then, "We're releasing a really cool D&D that requires 90 Slayer/Runecrafting/Prayer (etc.)" they'd have been laughed out of the RSOF. We're talking about a time where Barrows was the best sets of armours and the abyssal whip and a rune defender were the weapons to have. None of those things require much in the way of "efficiency" to obtain, so if you had any spare cash, you could afford to spend it on construction.

Fast forward six or seven years, and that's not the case any more. There's a relatively huge amount of high level content. Nowadays, we have tens of thousands of players using things like PoP. Anything that requires money to be spent on must also contribute to efficiency in some way; 92 Prayer for soul split; 96 Herblore for Ovls (etc.); 90 Crafting/Runecrafting/Smithing to make PoP armours. Construction offers nothing past level 72, apart from aesthetics, and so there's simply no need to train it when there's other things to spend gold on.

Nowadays, if it doesn't make you more efficient or improve your combat potential, it ain't worth it. Construction does not, and never did, help towards either of those two aims (gilded altar excepted, but even then you can use someone else's).

Furthermore, on the Runecrafting point, Jagex have made very clear indications they wish the skill to be less about making ammo for magic spells, and more about making Runecrafting to Magic what Smithing is to Melee, and what Crafting is to Ranged.

Brilliant point right here.

Nowadays, if it doesn't make you more efficient or improve your combat potential, it ain't worth it.

I'm strongly disagreeing. By this logic half the skills in the game are useless because you can just buy items instead of crafting them. Yeah, we've seen a lot of updates add combat benefits to skills that didn't have them before, but they're still very small benefits for the effort and maxing the real combat skills would be a much higher priority to increase your efficiency. Also more importantly not everyone has the same goals in the game.

Yes, that's why they drastically reduced rune requirements for combat spells. And I completely agree with that because magic was quite costly compared to other attack styles. But now you don't need *any* runes except for stuff like alching, that's just ridiculous.

Good points Sy_Accursed, I didn't realise so many PoH features are obsolete now.

Two burners lit = ~250xp per dragon bone, one burner = ~210xp per dragon bone. So you'd have to miss five or six bones before needing to buy another bone... not exactly a huge waste given the time and inventory space saved in not having to light burners yourself. The average RuneScape player seems to have the patience of a two year old being shown a cookie, so believe me, the burners don't stay off for long before some very obnoxious person shouts "Ffs lite burner stupid host".

Nowadays, if it doesn't make you more efficient or improve your combat potential, it ain't worth it.

I'm strongly disagreeing. By this logic half the skills in the game are useless because you can just buy items instead of crafting them.

Overloads and extremes are non-tradable and non-assistable so... I'm not sure how to reply to this.

I don't think Construction is dying so much as it has never lived, because there's not much to do. Actual construction training is high-attention and it can only be done solo - there is absolutely no way to train together. Construction as a skill is about building something once and then use it - using it requires no construction.

I like the hidey-holes and rope racks and such, it'd be quite nice if you could build more things all over RS, more shortcuts, but also things like walls/doors/barricades (wall in a resource in an area with agressive monsters) and perhaps dig your own dungeons (mining) and make them safe (construction) to explore some more cavern systems. "The dwarves delved too greedily, and too deep"

• Like 2

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I don't think Construction is dying so much as it has never lived, because there's not much to do. Actual construction training is high-attention and it can only be done solo - there is absolutely no way to train together. Construction as a skill is about building something once and then use it - using it requires no construction.

I like the hidey-holes and rope racks and such, it'd be quite nice if you could build more things all over RS, more shortcuts, but also things like walls/doors/barricades (wall in a resource in an area with agressive monsters) and perhaps dig your own dungeons (mining) and make them safe (construction) to explore some more cavern systems. "The dwarves delved too greedily, and too deep"

Well said.

My appreciation for your post went over 9000 because of that quote.

When I get home from classes, I will start compiling the list of sugestions you guys have made and put in the first post so new viewers don't have to read all of this so as to not be reptative (as the post grows).

Some overworld use would be nice for some more examples of what could be done:

One off Edgeville repair work

Mixture of one off and repeatable repair works around West Ardy to make it into a normal city repeatable ones being like patching up buildings otherwise shops shut etc.

Similar things could be done in the Varrock slums and Burgh De Rott

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

i really like the idea of construction being actually usefull outside of your house (as far as i know, nobody actually uses the grapple shortcuts)

There are already some nice suggestions here and i'm sure that Jagex could come up with a lot more if they really wanted...

I actually have high hopes for the updated construction skill

Sacrificing efficiency for fun since 1991

angel2w.gif

Dreezer.png

Mixture of one off and repeatable repair works around West Ardy to make it into a normal city repeatable ones being like patching up buildings otherwise shops shut etc.

Oh that's brilliant.

And maybe as you repair cities you get rewards (new D&D I per chance?) or maybe new customizables for your house?

As you get higher levels you could repair cities more and retain more rewards thus maybe making Construction not wntirely a money sink?

Or maybe like if you repair a city, say Falador, you could access a special avility, weapon, or armor depending on the city.

Example: Falador 100% repairs (requrss 99 construction) unlocks your use of an ultimate ability called Righteous Wrath which maintains 100% prayer with 10% deflect of damage dealt against you for 5minutes. But as the city deteriates you have to keep it up to date to maintain the ability.

Or something like that.

Still waiting on some skiller who also stakes to do 200M cons in a day with demonic thrones. Dark Lust is the best candidate for it afaik.

But yeah, cons is a [bleep] to train atm. I basically did 99 in a day on BXP with mahogany tables, and the experience was so awful I've barely touched the skill since.

Once it gets easyscaped, which it inevitably will, people will start training it more. I think the rewards are quite useful compared to most 99s. Things like the gilded altar and the portal room are actually pretty handy, I certainly prefer them over whatever I can do with firemaking.

Asmodean <3

I'd like something like this. In my mind they missed an opportunity with ports to remake construction, I get using specific items from travels to limit the way people can zerg through content if they are wealthy, but why put in chimes when they could have just straight up added gp costs to it to use it as a money sink. And not nessisarily small costs either.

They could easily update MTK (kingdoms) to make them a greater drain on physical currency. There is less issue with introducing items into the game at the cost of raw money because its a redistribution of wealth when you sell the goods.

What I would like to see as a D&D/construction update is something like this:

Market Places

Build and maintain your own market place, upgrading and building new shops and hiring workers. Supplies you with non tradable ingredients for stuff like special potions/ability boosters. Or stocks shops with tradable goods like herbs/logs/ores/etc that you can buy at a price reduced from the GE.

You'd have to visit every day/two to find out what shops are in need of maintainence and which shop keepers need to be payed for the day. You could have a natural flow of NPC's that move through the shops and buy the goods for their "skill" that leaves the shops with a reward currency spent on something like Livid Farm.

You'd pay for wages with GP, and need to use plank/etc for construction supplies to build/expand your market.

The thing about any money sink though is it has to have rewards good enough to repeat it and yet prices that are balanced for the effort involved. The game was way to much physical currency in it right now. One reward that is done semi well is domion tower with the gloves/dread nips, although I would say its a little to easy for the repeatably requirements. Maybe if gloves had need 10-20 kills instead of 5 you'd have to invest more into it. But those are all things that should be balanced.

• Like 1

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Building your house should be more sandboxy. Think roller coaster tycoon, except more modern and less roller coaster related. Hotspots are bad design, let us put our objects where we want. Let us customize everything. Let us upgrade skill-based objects as we level in the respective skills. Let us make our houses look like actual houses, not an aggregate of cubicles.

• Like 3

Building your house should be more sandboxy. Think roller coaster tycoon, except more modern and less roller coaster related.

:cry:

OT:

That's a wonderful idea, but what in runescape isn't cube-related?

Even the ground we walk on is like that.

I think they could atleast make the houses more edittable ( curved wall edits, arch ways, etc.), but none of that increases the usefulness (and renown) of the skill - which is diminishing.

I think placing items wherever idea is kinda impossile. Rendering would lag like [bleep].

Building your house should be more sandboxy. Think roller coaster tycoon, except more modern and less roller coaster related.

:cry:

OT:

That's a wonderful idea, but what in runescape isn't cube-related?

Even the ground we walk on is like that.

I think they could atleast make the houses more edittable ( curved wall edits, arch ways, etc.), but none of that increases the usefulness (and renown) of the skill - which is diminishing.

A graphical update wouldn't hurt, though. Even if you're into sandboxy house building games, it's really not worth pouring, say, 27m into an item (Demonic throne) that's using graphics from 2005. Might also be a step toward restoring the 'house party' culture - it's not worth showing off your house if everyone else's looks almost exactly like it.

Plus, if they're genuinely overhauling the skill, we'll probably get stuff for both fashionscapers and functionscapers.

Imo, most skills are "dead" because the only reason people train them (outside of quest requirements) is to max.... Summoning has two good familiars at high end... Unicorn and yak, which seems stupid.. cons is just a money sink and always has been. the useful parts of house are the tellies, and the altar/glory

meamzed.png

Construction was fine at the time -- even training it at low levels wasn't cheap and the utility that stuff like mounted glories provided was really nice. The issue is that it's a skill that's a) nearly seven years old and b) has not received a single meaningful utility update since its inception.

Construction was fine at the time -- even training it at low levels wasn't cheap and the utility that stuff like mounted glories provided was really nice. The issue is that it's a skill that's a) nearly seven years old and b) has not received a single meaningful utility update since its inception.

The pets would run away from you...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

That's but one room. Hardly justifies the skill as a whole.

But it does count as a 'single meaningful utility update' that occurred 'since its inception' hence why miss lioness choose to bold that part of the post which she quoted.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

But it does count as a 'single meaningful utility update' that occurred 'since its inception' hence why miss lioness choose to bold that part of the post which she quoted.

Guys stop being such douche[canoes] and stay on topic, he made one generalization, chill the [bleep] out.

Will be updating first post with proposed ideas.

@MotherBrainII, good points, I'd agree, though as other's have pointed out the Menagerie update has been kind of nice, less of a crowded bank (lol because P2P banks get crowded - since when?).

Guys stop being such douche[canoes] and stay on topic, he made one generalization, chill the [bleep] out.

@MotherBrainII, good points, I'd agree, though as other's have pointed out the Menagerie update has been kind of nice, less of a crowded bank (lol because P2P banks get crowded - since when?).

YEAH GUYS, CHILL OUT. YOU GUYS ARE GETTING REALLY RAMBUNCTIOUS, YOU ASSBLASTING SHITFEELING BUTTTRENCHES.

I want at least a deposit box in my PoH. Maybe a full fledged bank. Just a graphics update would be nice, though, and maybe an option that allows us to move around rooms without having to demolish them.

• Like 2

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

YEAH GUYS, CHILL OUT. YOU GUYS ARE GETTING REALLY RAMBUNCTIOUS, YOU ASSBLASTING SHITFEELING BUTTTRENCHES.

I want at least a deposit box in my PoH. Maybe a full fledged bank. Just a graphics update would be nice, though, and maybe an option that allows us to move around rooms without having to demolish them.

You sir have won the thread.

Plv6Dz6.jpg