Behind the Scenes: March 2013

Miss Lioness

This is from last year:

343jlzs.png

Looks like that idea has changed quite a bit?

Why?

They are weakening the relationship between energy and agility - so thats a changed in course of dev number 1.

Number 2 and 3 are separate points that we may be seeing in the coming months, jsut cause they aren't happening now doesn't mean they been scraped.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Excuse me? Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't F2P as well as P2P get the new EOC update only how long ago? It used to be that F2Pers would only get the yearly updates, such as Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween, as well as possibly once in a while a little tiny thing added here or there like the SOS, or something.. People always complained about how F2P got updates when it was a small one back then, and now you're saying that it's about time that F2P, which pays nothing to the people who give you the content, has deserved this update because they haven't had one for three months?

Sorry if this comes off as arrogant, but F2P should only get major updates such as EOC, and such just because it IS a trial... The whole purpose of the Demo is so that you buy the full version, not that you eventually stick with it long enough and you have the full version. On a side note, be happy you have as much content today as you do, there was once a day where you didn't have anything but skills to train, and friends to be with. There were no activities, no anything hardly.

F2P has a way of paying without becoming members, it's called RuneCoins and Squeal, so Jagex does have an incentive to keep them happy. Your argument is old and obsolete.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Excuse me? Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't F2P as well as P2P get the new EOC update only how long ago? It used to be that F2Pers would only get the yearly updates, such as Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween, as well as possibly once in a while a little tiny thing added here or there like the SOS, or something.. People always complained about how F2P got updates when it was a small one back then, and now you're saying that it's about time that F2P, which pays nothing to the people who give you the content, has deserved this update because they haven't had one for three months?

Sorry if this comes off as arrogant, but F2P should only get major updates such as EOC, and such just because it IS a trial... The whole purpose of the Demo is so that you buy the full version, not that you eventually stick with it long enough and you have the full version. On a side note, be happy you have as much content today as you do, there was once a day where you didn't have anything but skills to train, and friends to be with. There were no activities, no anything hardly.

F2P has a way of paying without becoming members, it's called RuneCoins and Squeal, so Jagex does have an incentive to keep them happy. Your argument is old and obsolete.

My argument may be old, but no where near obsolete. Give me a stat that says that since they CAN, they do, then give me another stat that says that F2Pers actually contribute >5% of income for Jagex and I'll say that it's obsolete. Just because they CAN does not mean that they do. You're argument is based off the fact that they have the ability to do something... well, all members have the ability to get 99 Runecrafting or Agility, what percentage actually do?

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

Finally. It's only been forever since F2P had something good. Not saying other updates didn't help them, but they are largely ignored. Which is sad, as F2P is effectively a demo for the game as a whole, and if Jagex wants to continue to showcase something they feel is good, they need to update the demo. I like this way more then 2 free weeks of F2P because it adds 2 new areas and allows a teaser of news skills, without a time limit, which I hope will cut down on the trial bots. Plus, this may convince existing F2P to finally come over, or at least give them a reason to still play for a bit long.

I'm also happy about the new abilities additions. Right now I feel they are good, but overwhelmed by melee abilities available. While there is a enough to have a solid ability bar, I wished there are were a least 3 more abilities for a bit of variety. And with improved changes to duel wielding, I wonder how long the maul can still stay up top (for those of use who can't afford drygore).

And of course I'm excited for Warbands and Easter.

Wow.

1) Yes F2P did get EoC and holiday events. But EoC was a major update that seems silly to exclude F2P from since it was an update to change combat as a whole. So yes, I was wrong to stay a long time. But holiday events are just that, holiday events. They don't last long.

2) F2P is still a demo. What good is it to have a demo with quest that came out in 2004. Jagex has to continue to convince people to play their game. F2P should still get love outside of large and major updates. Also, not everyone who plays on F2P is cheap.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

My argument may be old, but no where near obsolete. Give me a stat that says that since they CAN, they do, then give me another stat that says that F2Pers actually contribute >5% of income for Jagex and I'll say that it's obsolete. Just because they CAN does not mean that they do. You're argument is based off the fact that they have the ability to do something... well, all members have the ability to get 99 Runecrafting or Agility, what percentage actually do?

Sure, as soon as Jagex gets us that financial report. There are plenty of F2P players who have bought Solomon's stuff.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Finally. It's only been forever since F2P had something good. Not saying other updates didn't help them, but they are largely ignored. Which is sad, as F2P is effectively a demo for the game as a whole, and if Jagex wants to continue to showcase something they feel is good, they need to update the demo. I like this way more then 2 free weeks of F2P because it adds 2 new areas and allows a teaser of news skills, without a time limit, which I hope will cut down on the trial bots. Plus, this may convince existing F2P to finally come over, or at least give them a reason to still play for a bit long.

I'm also happy about the new abilities additions. Right now I feel they are good, but overwhelmed by melee abilities available. While there is a enough to have a solid ability bar, I wished there are were a least 3 more abilities for a bit of variety. And with improved changes to duel wielding, I wonder how long the maul can still stay up top (for those of use who can't afford drygore).

Dude, Jagex has confirmed that F2P is not a trial. It's like a separate game with less functions in it. I'm really glad that they gave us those areas, 'cause they're simply good for F2P skills training. I'm not sure about skills becoming partly F2P, thou.

mister-raven.png

Advertising

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I just don't understand the logic behind separating the tie between Agility and Run energy. Just because it affects the skill doesn't necessarily mean it must be the most defining aspect of the skill. In what way would that relationship be restricting the skill's expansion to such a degree that they needed to remove it in order to move forward, much like the philosophy behind changing combat mechanics to move forward with things beyond the EoC?

Maybe the coming weeks will bring more explanation.

Dude, Jagex has confirmed that F2P is not a trial. It's like a separate game with less functions in it. I'm really glad that they gave us those areas, 'cause they're simply good for F2P skills training. I'm not sure about skills becoming partly F2P, thou.

If this statement was ever true beyond a shiny glimmer in an optimist's eye, it's partially thanks to Microtransactions. Advertising revenue from F2P has never really caused them to break even for the cost of running those f2p servers, if I remember rightly. As for skills becoming p2p, it was absolutely necessary if they were converting the only tutorial the game had to f2p. And that draws me back to my original point...how the hell didn't they see that coming?

hzvjpwS.gif

Advertising

With the growing popularity of adblocking tools, I'd imagine relying on advertisement revenue is going to be a thing of the past. Kinda sucks though, because ads keep stuff from costing money out of the internet browser's pocket.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

There are plenty F2Pers who have spent more than a year's worth of subscriptions on Solomon's items. I'm sure that's plenty of a contribution.

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

As well, the reintroduction of video ads before login is something jagex said in the past makes far more money than static ads and that f2p wouldn't get them because the profit wasn't worth the annoyance. And we all know how that turned out... with world hopping I'm sure I've seen enough ads to make jagex at least a couple bucks profit.

F2p may not add to jagexs coffers as much as p2p but to say we don't deserve at least the occasional piece of new content is silly.

• Like 1

I just don't understand the logic behind separating the tie between Agility and Run energy. Just because it affects the skill doesn't necessarily mean it must be the most defining aspect of the skill. In what way would that relationship be restricting the skill's expansion to such a degree that they needed to remove it in order to move forward, much like the philosophy behind changing combat mechanics to move forward with things beyond the EoC?

Maybe the coming weeks will bring more explanation.

Agreed - I never fully understood that.

Part of me kinda feels like it would be a clever move to make agility into more combat-linked stat (but not outright combat stat)

I mean it could aid in avoiding hits and raising attack speeds.

Other than that the only big thing that could be done (to my mind) is recoding routing to use a sort of automated parkour type system so subject to our level we can jump ledges or gaps, hop walls or fences, traverse small water spans just sort of general open up alternate ways to move in the world - heck could even add in some ninja/assassin type gear honed to this play style that allows you to do even more - eg a sort of batman/assassins creed type cuff that can have like a 'nail gun' and grapple build in to allow on the fly climbing handhole creation and tightropes/grappling too.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

[hide]

Sure, as soon as Jagex gets us that financial report. There are plenty of F2P players who have bought Solomon's stuff.

[/hide]

Well while we're waiting on getting that; Let me reiterate my original point. I don't think that F2Pers should get updates as often as members, as in the point of saying "Finally. About time F2P got an update" after they had something that was groundbreaking about a fourth of a year ago, while they can also expect that they will get another partially f2p skill as well within the next year... That's being a bit greedy IMO because i don't believe that F2P generate that much revenue for Jagex.

In another related point, I just wanted to make a point of saying that instead of acting like it's owed to F2Pers and saying finally, they should be happy that Jagex has finally gotten their heads out of their butts and realized they need to update F2P as well. I was a F2Per for 3 years before going member so I understand how frustrating it is to not get updates.

[hide]

[/hide]

Dude' date=' Jagex has confirmed that F2P is not a trial. It's like a separate game with less functions in it. I'm really glad that they gave us those areas, 'cause they're simply good for F2P skills training. I'm not sure about skills becoming partly F2P, thou.

[/quote']

It's like a separate game with less functions in it... : :wall:: a good example of a separate game with less functions would be 07Scape, not F2P. I'm glad F2P got the areas as well, but I don't think that they need to get major updates as often as mems, for the simple fact that they don't pay on consistent level. Maybe I'm completely wrong and F2P actually generates a substantial amount of revenue for Jagex, in that case then I'll own up, but I see that as a really slim chance.

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:

Actually, these are both really old arguments that I'm sure we're all sick of debating.

They stated years ago (during the Gower years) that the free game was not a demo, but their attitude in general towards seems to contradict that, and the whole free-shouldn't-get-anything-because-they-don't-pay thing has been around since membership was first introduced.

The fact is, they need update the free portion of the game every so often. Otherwise, new players would be so unimpressed with the game that they never buy membership.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

So perhaps your original point isn't necessarily, "F2P doesn't deserve any regular updates" but "F2P (and P2P supporters of F2P) should remember that they do get a lot of updates for being utterly free."

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif

Actually, these are both really old arguments that I'm sure we're all sick of debating.

They stated years ago (during the Gower years) that the free game was not a demo, but their attitude in general towards seems to contradict that, and the whole free-shouldn't-get-anything-because-they-don't-pay thing has been around since membership was first introduced.

The fact is, they need update the free portion of the game every so often. Otherwise, new players would be so unimpressed with the game that they never buy membership.

Agreed. Sorry if in my original post it seemed like I was saying they shouldn't get anything as a F2Per, I guess I just got a bit carried away and didn't make my point clear.

@Kimberly, Yes. In essence that is what I mean.

OT: I think this month is going to be interesting with the release of a new quest, TWW. As an avid quester I find this to be the highlight of my month. I'll leave the rest up for debate because my opinion on all of it is rather moot. New abilities: cool. Wilderness: meh, I've never enjoyed PvP. Easter: Sounds fun. Free Changes: *looks at previous posts* I think I made my point, finally.

Edited by mlskid

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:

Maybe it's just me but I don't get it.

2 weeks ago Jagex figures out the most popular viewing mode is software.

So they remove it.

Players give feedback to Jagex about agility having no benefits.

So Jagex announces its intentions to remove one of it's few contributions to the greater game, run energy recovery.

I suppose this is in-line with calling themselves Java gaming experts despite running away from Java because they can't make the game they want on it.

Is it that famous British arrogance or just plain cluelessness that drives all this, one across the pond can only wonder.

Oh well, this looks like a great month for RS07, you know when Jagex knew who they were and what they were doing.

• Like 1

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Maybe it's just me but I don't get it.

So they remove it.

Players give feedback to Jagex about agility having no benefits.

So Jagex announces its intentions to remove one of it's few contributions to the greater game, run energy recovery.

I suppose this is in-line with calling themselves Java gaming experts despite running away from Java because they can't make the game they want on it.

Is it that famous British arrogance or just plain cluelessness that drives all this, one across the pond can only wonder.

Oh well, this looks like a great month for RS07, you know when Jagex knew who they were and what they were doing.

Since when did they remove software mode?

Also the point they made in their post about software mode was specifically that they do not understand why most use it because it gives worse performance than other modes for most - ergo many people used it incorrectly thinking it maximised their FPS due to being the lowest setting.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

So they remove it.

Sorry, what?

Edit: ah, I see. It's being removed next week.

With next week's update, it'll no longer be possible to select the Software display mode in your RuneScape graphics settings. We're removing support for this mode in preparation for future updates to the RuneScape UI and to the game's content, with which our existing Software mode will be incompatible. While there'll still be a limited safe mode as a backup, the default display modes for RuneScape will be DirectX and OpenGL.

Source

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

[hide=Stats and logs]

The_Warrior.png
.:Adventurer's Log:.

[/hide]

So what's the point of changing run energy like that without changing anything else? The system was already a tad too generous with run energy, but now Agility is made less useful for no apparent reason.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Agreed. Sorry if in my original post it seemed like I was saying they shouldn't get anything as a F2Per, I guess I just got a bit carried away and didn't make my point clear.

@Kimberly, Yes. In essence that is what I mean.

OT: I think this month is going to be interesting with the release of a new quest, TWW. As an avid quester I find this to be the highlight of my month. I'll leave the rest up for debate because my opinion on all of it is rather moot. New abilities: cool. Wilderness: meh, I've never enjoyed PvP. Easter: Sounds fun. Free Changes: *looks at previous posts* I think I made my point, finally.

Nice to see you've calm down. And you are 100% correct, F2P do get a lot of updates. But I never meant to imply F2P should get as many updates as P2P. So what I should have said was this is nice that F2P is getting this without it being a P2P update as well, and that in general Jagex is paying a little more attention to F2P. My bad.

Anywho, since agility has less of a use will it be possibly replaced in the future. They said they planned to update this skill to be less...painful, but what could we possibly use this skill for now except quest requirements?

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]