Jagex and all white staff.

DJpailo

Affirmative action on its own doesn't work, agreed. You also have to look at wider socialeconomic and geopolitical reasons for why ethnic minorities are so under-represented in the workforce. It's undoubtedly part of the solution, though.

Furthermore, my support for AA isn't triggered by "white guilt". I'm white, I had no part in the slave trade or racism in times gone by--I have nothing to feel guilty for. What I see is social inequality, and that makes me feel that a serious miscarriage of justice continues to operate in our society against those who are least able to fight that injustice. That isn't guilt.

Pardon the double post, but what makes them unable to fight that injustice?

I can't take that post seriously while your signature contains a link titled "assist others with your knowledge". More like "[bleep] off and do it yourself".

Congratulations on a completely off-topic post, and while at that, degrading.

Please continue with your wonderful arguments, when you obviously can't be clear headed due to 5 words in a signature - I applaud your elitism.

It's not "just favoritism", it's segrerating whole groups of people into social constructs they'll have hard time in. The whole phenomenom of exluding people from work while shunning them because of not doing work is just feeding itself and really is - just as I said earlier - a ridicilous excuse for one's racism.

If any time in human history the poor were able to fight social injustice there would've never been any altruistic pursuits.

Don't you find it fascinating that the signatures tend to take more space than posts themselves

You're spouting some bootstraps bullshit and you're calling him elitist?

It's cool to go "that's life, we all deal with it" but it rings a little hollow coming from a white guy, no offence. I mean if you can look at all the shit going on in all the ghettos in America and the Aboriginal communities in Australia and say they just need to work harder, that's a pretty basic lack of compassion. People get [bleep]ed over, and need help. That is what life is.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Did I say they were completely unable to fight injustice? No, I said they were less able for reasons relating to socioeconomic deprivation which I would have thought would be obvious. Poorer education leading to less access to opportunities to escape deprivation, less jobs available for the population, poorer health (etc.).[2] No one's suggesting that people who are experiencing social inequality should be given a job, and that isn't what affirmative action is there to accomplish.

What affirmative action is, or at least the principles behind affirmative action, is a recognition of the fact that while we all have to work in order to get jobs and succeed in life, those who are black, women, disabled (etc.) have to work harder, and that is systematically unfair. Whether you agree on whether it works or not is another matter, but if a society knows inequality exists and chooses to do nothing about it, then it doesn't say much about the values of my society, nor does it say much about how the laws of my society protect those who are weakest and least empowered to improve their position.

You're spouting some bootstraps bullshit and you're calling him elitist?

It's cool to go "that's life, we all deal with it" but it rings a little hollow coming from a white guy, no offence. I mean if you can look at all the shit going on in all the ghettos in America and the Aboriginal communities in Australia and say they just need to work harder, that's a pretty basic lack of compassion. People get [bleep]ed over, and need help. That is what life is.

Bootstraps bullshit? I am not saying that people can get through everything on their own. Community is necessary for existence.

But as much as people love the idea of diversity, and as much as I wholly believe diversity is a GOOD thing, look at the communities around the nation (US for the example). Do housing communities for one tend to be typically diverse? Not really. And I don't think this has anything to with racism, just nature. We tend to commune with those who we are similar to, even if we don't know the person at all beside by appearances.

Maybe this is a gross generalization, but I feel it holds true for the most part.(on a side-note: I'd say the only time this may be wrong would be in university/colleges, but then again that's also a generalization from a small amount of personal data.)

On the second thing you mention: well the socioeconomic situation of "minorities" is an entirely different subject then their place in the work place. An ENTIRELY different subject.

And I honestly, as you pointed out, I cannot say loads on it as I have not studied it very much.

I will say however, that it has been an interesting correlation to see how institutionalized churches (or other religious houses) have become, and resultingly, how little now a days someone can walk into a church and be allowed to spend the night or get food, etc.

Disregarding religion as a practice, hundreds of years ago, churches were in themselves, sanctuaries - places of refuge. Now they are as much an office as a place of "worship" and I think this has greatly effected how people in general interact with those in different socioeconomic classes than them (this was just a random thought and I thought I'd share).

Yeah, that was an overreaction on my part, sorry. The white guy crack was also pretty obnoxious now I look back.

I feel that's not as big a deal is people think it to be, and also that it's gonna definitely fade as time passes. It's only natural with the internet and overall globalisation of society.

All I can say is I disagree with you on this bit, I think a lot of the issues minorities face are a cycle of a sort, and you can't separate something like social/economic status from their position/showing in the work force.

And yeah religion is a definite factor as usual, but that's even further out my wheelhouse than all this shit is, haha.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Affirmative action is a band-aid, and a bad one at that. It's just another form of institutionalized racism funded by white guilt.

Half-arsed excuses for racism is happening like Assume Nothing pointed out and you're telling us public governing going forwards it is "institutionalized racism"?

When a government forces hiring quotas based on race, yes, that's institutionalized racism. I'm not saying it's entirely un-beneficial or unnecessary, but my point still stands.

• Like 2

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

First of all, you honestly have zero evidence that Jagex only hires white people. In fact, one of the JMods I chatted with at RuneFest (and communicated with regularly as a fan site admin) was not white. They have a staff of over 200 people and we've honestly only seen a couple of those in videos.

In any case, we're going to lock this thread because 1) Off-Topic is for conversations not related to RuneScape/Jagex, and 2) because your claims are baseless and we don't see much point in sitting here and arguing about it.

• Like 1

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog