All Things Paintball // Airsoft Thread

DownToFletch

Okay so, I kind of love this sport and wanted to share it with Tip.It and as hoping to find some other players who played airball/xball/megaball and others.

Kay, so yeah. All things paintball and airsoft can go in here...

So a few things about paintball;

There are a few ways to play it.

So I'm gathering some of this information from Wikipedia, so all credit to them for typing all this correct information for me :D

Speedball is one of the three distinct game variants in the sport of paintball, woodsball and scenario paintball. It is a general term for a game in which the playing field is composed of bunkers, of the same location and number on each side of the field, that provide an equal playing field for each team competing. It was created in this way to give a better format for competitive paintball, both in playing and viewing the games.

Picture of a speedball field below.

http://upload.wikime...edball_game.jpg

Speedball is a team game, and can be played recreationally or professionally; with tournaments usually specifying teams of three, five, seven, and even ten players. The game is characterized by a small symmetrical playing field, filled with artificial terrain (such as inflatable bunkers), and a game time of several minutes.

The fields for major venues are created on the computer.

http://ifragpaintbal...layout-2011.jpg

Get all your great paintball videos here!

http://www.paintball...ideo-on-demand/

Woodsball/scenario ball:

Woodsball (also known as woods paintball, hillball or bushball) is a format of paintball gaming, in which players compete in a natural outdoors area (contrasting with inflatable bunker-based Speedball format) using paintball markers to tag opponents.

It is recognized as the first format of Paintball ever played, and is often used in conjunction with Scenario paintball, allowing players to enact parts in a story or historical battle. This is due to its effectiveness in allowing players to simulate military situations using realistic weaponry and equipment; all of which are customizable - allowing each player to fulfill a tactical role. The types of games playable are infinite, and include mostly capture the flag or elimination.

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

I'm quite a fan of paintball, or I suppose woodsball. Never played it in a proper arena. There are a few places around here with more of a scenario setup, with my favorite being a little village at the foot of a hill. The hill has a couple trenches dug in it; a small/crude one about halfway down and a much larger one near the top. The hill is flanked on both sides with little horseshoe shaped cover walls, and the field behind the walls also has a lot of cover walls set up which are useable in either direction. At the back of all that is a two story wooden castle for when the place get's really busy, and a campaign to take the castle starting at the foot of the hill can easily take a couple hours of nearly non stop fighting (usually 15 minute re-spawns).

I've also played in winter, though not in a long long time. I had a friend growing up who had a property that was probably a couple acres, and mostly flat. It had some natural shelter we could use, and for the rest we built our own. He had a couple plywood shelters that we put together as well to speed things up, since you just needed to cover them up nicely.

My current marker is a gold old 98 Custom. It's been working well enough I've never felt the need to upgrade to a new marker. Still using the flatline barrel for it as well, even though I normally play at close enough range that I really don't need it. Mostly at this point I actually enjoy having a short barrel for when I do end up in CQB, while still being able to knock one way out there if I get a chance. I have it mounted with a nice little dot sight, and since I also enjoy a good night game, I have a 45 degree double rail to sit on the barrel so I can get a laser and flashlight on there, and still be able to sight the gun if I want. Also stuck a stock on the back.

Other than that, I also have a TiPX pistol which is where the laser sight lives during day games. Excellent for CQB with the size, and also good if the 98C needs a reload or if the flatline broke a ball at an undesirable time. It's come in quite useful a few times, and saved my 'life' more than once. I also like to do a round or two with it as my only gun, helps keep you sharp and can only make you a better player.

• Like 1

Nice. Do you use it a lot as the main gun then? I've thought about remote lining both my guns at one time or another, though they are both still holding their own air and probably always will. I wouldn't mind lightening the custom a tad I suppose, though I've also figured that it would probably get in my way in the trees. For the pistol I'm happy enough with it as is I think.

Personally, I love using the pistol over my "primary."

Not sure if you know what it is, but I have an EGO9; my baby <3

I use my pistol a lot, almost as much as my EGO. Makes everything more fun :)

The remote line is just going to help me shoot more pistol without having to change 12 gram cartridges :)

Personally, it's all preference with remote lines on certain markers. Some people say that adding the line makes the platform more unstable and it kicks more, some say otherwise. It's all preference. Next time you go to a field or have a friend who has a remote line, ask them to borrow it for a game or something :)

max.png 50.png

I've certainly seen a couple EOG9's around, or at least markers I remember looking like that.

I will try one at some point. Think one of my friends is getting a remote line for their A5 for the summer season so I'll probably bum that off them for a round or two. Less concerned about stability, more about snagging (which would be good to try with another marker) and just having a lighter gun. The tank gives it some heft.

Also, you can't deny the fun of the pistol. I'm not sure what it is that makes it so much fun, though I'm willing to say half of it for me is using magazines (it totally completes the real life video game feel when you switch them). I often use it as my primary or only weapon for a round or two as well because it's a totally different play style (as it forces me to go offensive), and it teaches you fire discipline.

If it's important to you, you should invest in a carbon fiber tank. You're probably running a 48/3000 aluminum right now, eh? The carbon fiber variants generally hold more air and air lighter, with the drawback of costing $100+ new. I love mine though, I have a carbon fiber 68/4500. ALWAYS buy NInja tanks. They're simply the best <3

max.png 50.png

I actually use CO2 tanks, mostly for supply reasons. Many of the fields I frequent are smaller operations that don't supply air. Like the field with the village and castle I love so much, they only have I think 3 games scheduled this year. You can rent field at other times, but those are the big games they do.

So I have a couple CO2 tanks, one 12 and one 24. I like the 12 for field play, and mostly use the 24 for off field work.

It does, but I'm willing to put up with it for convenience. I definitely get a bad shot every now and then, but not being a proper sniper it's normally recoverable for me. It's never been bad enough to not work, or had any large swings in range or speed on any given day.

Air would certainly be preferable though, no argument there. But for now, good enough is good enough.

Yeah. Now I know why this is the first time I've talked about paintball on here (that I can remember). Just the two of us. Shame, as I really love the sport. At least for me, it's stress release, entertainment, exercise, and a social exercise all rolled into one awesome package.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks pretty fun, and not too different from what I am used to, though I am used to a few more trees for sneaking through, or in the case of off field play, there are a couple islands near enough where I live to be quite good in combination with camping.

And are American fields super cheep to play on or something? $25 is perhaps a bit more than I am used to, but still not even half the cost of a day (ammo).

Oh, well because you need to ship over the boarder (most paint is made in the US) it has to be processed through customs, and because it's being shipped internationally, it's way more expensive. I have a couple friends who play and live in Canada, and paint that costs me $50 (which I hate lol) costs them $70 and they think that it's fine lol.

max.png 50.png

That makes sense. A lot of stuff costs a bit more here because of all the importing, which has actually led many people to shop as much as possible from south of the border. The assumption is that if joe homeowner can ship a small quantity across the border and still be paying less, that the stores must be trying to rip him off, and frankly that conclusion makes a lot of sense. It should be cheaper for a retailer to do it because they can presumably get some bulk shipping discount going. I can't remember the reasons some of them have given for it, or if any of the reasons are good, but it's becoming quite popular among the more furgal.

Anyway, the price of paintballs certainly puts a bit of a damper on the guns use. For casual target practice at home, I have an air rifle which costs fractions of a penny to fire, rather than several.

Yeah man. I was thinking about buying an air rifle just to shoot at home. Paintballs used to be more expensive though, even here in the USA. :(

Yeah, I hate how people with mechanical markers complain that they shoot a lot.

I have an EGO9 and have the ability to shoot 30BPS (although I can control myself lol. I'm very good with picking my shots)

Really wish my EGO9 was this color scheme, just a little :s

ego9.jpg

max.png 50.png

I have asked other people with automatics how much ammo they go through, and the average seems to be about double what I use. It's not as bad as I once expected, but it's still more than I want to pay. Certainly leaves me at a bit of a disadvantage, but I don't really mind. On the other hand, I'm a reasonably good shot, and people take more chances against a semi than they do against automatics, so it might actually be easier to score hits with my setup (personally, I don't think I have ever taken a shot from an auto that didn't hit my gun or face, because they really don't inspire you to not have good cover).

There is a guy floating around with a gun done up as a mock M249 (SAW). It's not practical, becuase of the way you hold it, and I think it likes to break it's own balls, but it looks scary and it sounds terrifying. I think it's owner normally uses his sidearm though for actual killing though.

• 1 month later...

I bought a ton of gear for Airsoft, and played twice haha. I'm the type of person that jumps in and wants/buys everything a veteran of the game that has been playing for years. However, MY VERY FIRST OUTING at a CQB indoor field, it was common for everyone to just wear fabric face masks that just hung loosely in front of the face. Well, last game of the night, CTF I get shot and go back to spawn. I step out from the spawn, someone had come in and the owner missed them to Chrono their gun. I got hit in my front left tooth with an airsoft pellet going 425 FPS. I'm sure you guys know most indoor fields are 350FPS or lower. Broke the tooth off about halfway up. I got the tooth fixed, went again the next week and all of us had steel mesh face masks to cover the lower part of our faces haha. Unfortunately the following week at work we had a big project in our lap and for about 18 months straight we were working 65-70 hours a week. I haven't gone since. I'd love to get back into it, just have to find some meetups and go that fit my schedule.