What updates would you like to see in EoC?

Alg

Value and Importance don't necessarily equal each other. Saradomin_Mage was saying that. XP itself may hold no value to you, but without it, it would be impossible for you to reach your goal, so, in otherwords, XP is important.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I am saying that we should have activities which are worth or fun to do at certain skill levels which don't provide value in terms of xp.

You may not value the xp itself,but you require the xp to get to certain goals. The ulocks are not really "part" of the skill. You unlock them and then do things which aren't part of the skill with those bonuses.

I would like to see more activities like bossing but for skills. Things which people really want to do, require skills, and feel like training those skills but which aren't done for xp in that skill. The issue is that if these activities give xp, they tend to be efficientized into the system of xp/hr, gp/hr etc.

Things like Player Owned Ports are an interesting step in this direction. You need 90 to do the ports, but after that they give (very little) xp for you but create lots of content you want to play through.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I would like if the best untradeable sword in the game required 99 smithing or something, but was obtained from a boss drop. (The boss requires high mining to fight)

This way training smithing and mining has a purpose but you also need to be good at combat.

Similar things with range and magic. And it doesn't just have to be that simple, could have a flame sword that requires high firemaking to wield effectively. Or wield a special swordfish you have a rare chance of fishing as a weapon, with high fishing to weild. Or have a hunting/slaying requirement on things like chinchompas and lizards. Give certain weapons unique abilities like ultimates or whatever they're called. Make enemies including bosses specifically weak to certain weapons, further than just the 3 melee styles. (Like demons and darklight)

Combat will still be dull, but that's just how the game is. It'll give people something to do at least.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Value and Importance don't necessarily equal each other. Saradomin_Mage was saying that. XP itself may hold no value to you, but without it, it would be impossible for you to reach your goal, so, in otherwords, XP is important.

It's a metric, Tim. Granted, I know that runners place a lot of importance on miles during their training (to use another example), but when they're running a race, the goal isn't "24k total", or however long the race is... it's the finish line.

XP isn't my finish line. It's not even levels per se, it's access to a particular something, an ability to make or gather a certain item, etc. Then there are the completionist goals... and quite a few of them have fairly little to do with XP at all. Oddly enough, I was doing some of them before there was a cape that required them... Champion's Challenge scrolls, for one.

So much for thinking outside the box.

I would like to see a new type of GWD-esque for Tier 90 Armours!

Seems something like this is actually going to happen =O! With harder GWD and new drops along with it! Still not T90 probably but it is an improvement!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

It's a metric, Tim. Granted, I know that runners place a lot of importance on miles during their training (to use another example), but when they're running a race, the goal isn't "24k total", or however long the race is... it's the finish line.

XP isn't my finish line. It's not even levels per se, it's access to a particular something, an ability to make or gather a certain item, etc. Then there are the completionist goals... and quite a few of them have fairly little to do with XP at all. Oddly enough, I was doing some of them before there was a cape that required them... Champion's Challenge scrolls, for one.

So much for thinking outside the box.

Yes the thing we care about is the finish line. However the process of getting to the finish line is to earn xp. Since so many people care about the finish line, it means they indirectly care about xp. This leads to the problem of skills whereby all methods of that skill are deemed bad unless they are either... high xp/hr, or high something else per hour. But if they give xp at *all*, xp has such a high 'value' because people require so much of it ot get to the FINISH line which is 13m or 200m (depends on who you are how crazy you are)

I am not saying you value xp. I am saying you require xp because of what you value. Just like a runner is required to run the distance if he wants to reach the finish line, but he may not value the distance itself.

In rs, xp has a metric of value, which we can measure, based on lots of factors. But if an activity provides xp, it tends towards becoming unprofitable.

Ex: Herblore. The main thing this was for pre-overloads was to make potions. However, none of these potions made money if you bought herbs + secondaries and made potions. Instead they *all* lost money, because even if the potion had high demand, it equalised due to the non-gp value of xp. That is, you were trading in gp to get the xp. (required to reach the next levels)

I believe that all activities like this for skills will inevitably lead towards no gp/hr gain to perform the activities of the skill. Skills need things which can provide profit outside of gaining xp, or provide value where the xp no longer matters. Overloads are an example of the xp not mattering we make overloads anyways. If they were tradable, they too would be nerfed into unprofitability for making yourself. (over time) because the economy would shift the profits.

Hunter, however, has methods which will always produce gp, but the rate at which it can produce gp is always screwed because if it produces great gp/hr and some xp, people will do it until the item it produces is lowered in value. Over time the trend is towards removing value in doing the skill because of the way the game is designed.

I would like to see more skilling methods which are like bosses for combat. That is I want to see more ways to use skills which don't become the secondary thing to gaining xp. I don't expect this to happen, because it is notoriously difficult to design, usually involving untradables (forcing you to do it yourself), or involving something that has more demand than the supply can ever provide. (flasks, for example are nice, because the demand will always be there, and the supply is diminishing)

I have no argument against whether you as a player value xp, but the game aims towards players valuing xp indirectly due to the finish line they set. They do not value xp inherently, but value it till they reach the finish line they've set (usually 99, possibly lower or higher)

Serena_Sedai.png

Okay dude, you win. Whatever. I don't feel the argument really furthers my point that I liked to play in the old "self-sufficient" style. All I see is increasing combat content that involves smashing increasingly higher-leveled, higher-LP, "better-AI" (slowly using player Abilities) monsters that drop expensive weapons and armor that are needed to smash the next higher-leveled, higher-LP, "better-AI" monster...

I literally don't have the pain threshold or nerves for twitchy adrenaline-junky content like that. I'm not the first adult player with health issues, either... where the hell are they, anyways?

Bosses for skilling? Oh yuk. Honestly, I would need an example. About the only thing I can truly think of that comes remotely close is maybe Herblore Habitat, but I don't know what that's classified as, specifically. I mean, Herblore Habitat as far as doing all that's needed for catching all jadinkos and all god jadinkos for the Herblore/Farming/Hunter rewards. Or maybe doing Troll Invasion on the tower side, but who actually does that?

Let's be honest: Runescape, as I've said numerous times, caters to casual, puzzle/organization, simulation, and time management playing styles that most MMOs just coast right over. And I think it's a mistake to try to impose combat concepts where the games Runescape is drawing from just don't do that at all. They are not the same, and never have been. I still look to Manage Thy Kingdom and Player-Owned Ports as structures that would accommodate these sorts of players fairly well without too much bot draw.

But maybe Jagex has driven off those players, or the ones remaining went Old School and all that. But I'm a storyline sort of gamer, so that really just does not appeal to me...

Any sort of Evolution of Skilling will probably have fairly little to do with Evolution of Combat. I'm honestly surprised players found skilling use for the Action Bar, but powerdumping probably will be the extent of it. Nope, nope, nope... I honestly envision the MtK/PoP interface used more often.

Herblore habitat is a good example, in my opinion. Basically encourages DIY instead of "buy"

I'm not trying to argue against Do-It-Yourself, but simply saying that xp is required for skill-based goals, and that the culture of max capes (whether you partake of it or not) impacts how an update is viewed, played, and subsequently impacts the majority of players opinions on the content.

The only aspect of bosses that I want for skills are activities which are designed to be repeated for the activity rather than for leveling the skill. There are a few, but they tend to be for long term gain (PoP, DnD style minigames), straight up XP, or what not.

I do *not* want more twitch-gameplay like bosses. I believe that bosses fill this category nicely.

I do think that Runescape needs to apply lots of things towards many different types of players, and that not every update is meant for every player, but that some content should be directed towards each type of player as possible.

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png