Runescape 3 is coming this summer...(BTS Bonus edition)

SwreeTak

I've played since 2003. This update excites me more than any other. Roll on HTML5, and roll on better quest story lines.

EDIT: Just read up, I'm amazed at how [bleep]ing pessimistic some players are. Jagex make mistakes, of course. I'd like to see you do [bleep]ing better.

~peace

I also started that year. After EOC being considered the biggest update, i am excited to hear more on how RS3 will be. How different it would look, aside from even more interface changes, if there are.

I was brand new at the time, so I don't recall - did they call the first conversion 'RS2' in the beta? I highly doubt they'll end up calling it RS3. Likely just Runescape, old school Runescape, and Runescape classic.

Looks awesome though.

Yes Runescape 2 was what is was called in development and beta. How it went:

Runescape

Runescape + Runescape 2 beta

Runescape Classic + Runescape.

So basically this will be rs3 right up until release at which point it'll simply be Runescape.

Damn i had finally got a PC that could run Runescape on max settings and now there is a chance with this update that it will no longer be the case.... This does look to be a pretty great update. Touching on some of that quest talk, I myself have like 100 quests to do now just to catch up , so many that i put off doing them and more slowly pile up....

This overhaul should not raise system reqs at all, if anything it'll make it easier to run on all but the older systems.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

All the major browsers support HTML5, plus they'll have their own Jagex client.

Just to correct an assumption I saw saying only Chrome supports HTML5.

That assumption was based on what we got told when they released the new bestiary, which would only run on Chrome. I don't know about any others, but Firefox 19 currently has HTML5 support. I'm sure that by the time RS3 goes live we should be able to use any browser we want.

This is likely due to a quality assurance thing where they disable support in non-chrome browsers. That or each browser implements some things differently (Firefox can be notorious for doing this sometimes). Probably Jagex only tested bestiary in Chrome. That or they simply haven't coded in work-arounds for the other browsers that don't support features in exactly the same way and the bestiary breaks due to this.

Thank you. Kaida is right, I was going off that assumption and being told eariler that Firefox had a bug that they couldn't fix. I swear you guys know all I need to know for computers. I should hit you all up more. :P

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Looks like we saw the first of a few live updates where they roll out parts of the new HTML5 engine. Mod Chris E just put up a sticky on Recent Updates.

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the inconvenience of logging you all out - we're doing some under-the-hood maintenance to the game engine to get it ready for some big updates related to RS3 & HTML5. Hopefully you won't notice much difference on the Java client at the moment, but if you do notice something awry, please submit a bug report in the usual way.

It's likely we'll need to do one more update this evening to get everything straightened out.

Mod Chris E and Mod Philip

I wonder if we are going to have a 'live beta' of sorts.

Eg the beta is still the live game just with the alternate engine running it - would certainly wrack up much more play time as everyone with access could just do their day-to-day RSing

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Really excited for this. I also recall Jagex saying they were going to make RuneScape pluginable so that players could write and design their own plugins. I wonder if this will play a part in that. Ofc, I can't wait! :D.

09144a99bb.png

Runescape 3 came 20th of november last year, dunno what are they talking about. Glad I can keep playing Rs2 :)

I wonder when jagex actually realizes that updates like this, actually kills the game.

Only one thing sealed the fate of the game, and that was it's beginning. Now stop it with the RS IS GOING TO DIE IT'S KILLING THE GAME etc bullshit please.

Every update is killing the game. Miniclip was the end of Runescape, remember?

Face the facts, 07 version (which has less shit updates) has more players than `13 version, that tells you something doesn't it?

yeah, it tells me that all the bots migrated to 07
  • Like 4

8f14270694.jpg

Really excited for this. I also recall Jagex saying they were going to make RuneScape pluginable so that players could write and design their own plugins. I wonder if this will play a part in that. Ofc, I can't wait! :D.

An API system for plugins would be awesome, especially if it offered simple, automated ways to sync data between users.

Obviously applications right there to upgrade the DGS team functions - no faff automatic via rs output.

Plus would offer potential for many other things like pyramid plunder doors applet, fish flingers bait applet etc. where data can be shared to users on same world.

Could even have uses for fansites/external apps if it could provide data like GE offer status, GE prices, port status, live xp etc.

EG you log in tot tip.it calcs via a Jagex-made login api then they can retrieve your account data directly.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I did not know that.

So some people on RSOF were saying today's updates made certain places look html5 already... The specifically mentioned Varrock and Falador, but I couldn't really tell the difference. IS there actually a difference or what?

2dgucz6.png

There must have been a difference somewhere, I've been getting really odd trees.

Also I appear to be stuck at 50% loading, but that may just be my connection.

I've been also having those long loading times and graphical oddities that usually indicate the game is currently downloading data (data that is usually stored in cache.)

and then we decide they are stupid and eliminate java use because we are the java gaming experts (Jagex)".

You DO know that ever since 2010, the name stood for "Just About the Game EXperience"?

Just to let you know, he didn't know.

• Like 1

Tried playing on my bad computer earlier with a horrible internet connection, took 2 minutes before walking animation worked, as well as huge load times for teleports... :unsure:

Dunno if that's just the computer though, can someone try clearing Cache and see if it makes a noticable difference?

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I did not know that.

So some people on RSOF were saying today's updates made certain places look html5 already... The specifically mentioned Varrock and Falador, but I couldn't really tell the difference. IS there actually a difference or what?

While there might be a difference, it isn't HTML5. Many players seem to be confused about this, thinking that Varrock is suddenly HTML5 while the rest of the game is Java. For anyone how knows even the basics of programming, or web development this is really quite funny.

I think the changes are more about dynamic lighting and whatnot - Varrock certainly seems brighter lol

• Like 2

My cache dropped to 50% today. Since I already have about 800mb of data stored on my computer for Java RS, I'm dreading how much HTML5 will take when it is fully ready.

About 8Gb is my thought, given the fact that you'll have all quest areas that are forgotten such as Underground Pass, Elves, etc.

Personally, I hope with this update they do what I've always wanted to see; non-pk land above (north of) the Wilderness, what I mean is cities, towns, shops, etc.

• Like 1

I don't really mind having a lot of cached data; after all, I'm not limited to a 20GB hard drive.

Also, another reason I don't mind it is that it only downloads the data as you need it. Would be really annoying to have to download ~8GB of data in one go, even though I would never visit most of the areas anymore.

My cache dropped to 50% today. Since I already have about 800mb of data stored on my computer for Java RS, I'm dreading how much HTML5 will take when it is fully ready.

About 8Gb is my thought, given the fact that you'll have all quest areas that are forgotten such as Underground Pass, Elves, etc.

Personally, I hope with this update they do what I've always wanted to see; non-pk land above (north of) the Wilderness, what I mean is cities, towns, shops, etc.

That would be an interesting way to expand the land, possibly some surviving Zarosian styled cities and some more Armadylian places

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I heard they're planning on allowing group-chat via microphones, similar to "private party" in XBL, not sure how it would work though through their game.

Was this recently that you heard it? Because there have been rumours about this kind of things for years now. The only way I see it working would be limiting it to friends/clan chats. Public voice chat would be an absolute mess.

Nice to see the HTML5 is finally coming. I look forward to seeing exactly what they do with this. A better cache (like, not overwriting itself so that you can9 store the entire game area and not load between sectors) would be a lovely option for those of us who have more storage than they know what to do with.

And I think this does make sense. As stated, RS2 brought a fully 3D engine with it, and RS3 will be an entirely new environment in which to run the game, as opposed to the runetek upgrades which simply improved the existing environment.

Absolutely fantastic this is!

Another thing that'll be interesting is we supposedly get 2 new skills this year. We're closing in on April already, Summer starts in June so they'll be pushing for completing/fixing a skill soon, AND HTML5, AND then another skill towards the end of the year (which also would be the first skill made from scratch via HTML5 engine).

Looking to be both interesting and quite a cramped year.

Popoto.~<3

Another thing that'll be interesting is we supposedly get 2 new skills this year. We're closing in on April already, Summer starts in June so they'll be pushing for completing/fixing a skill soon, AND HTML5, AND then another skill towards the end of the year (which also would be the first skill made from scratch via HTML5 engine).

Looking to be both interesting and quite a cramped year.

Well they said 1 early 13 and one late 13 and since then jmod hintathons have suggested first one to be summer, plus updates like skills and rs3 take a long time to plan.

All in all I'd say logically first skill is going to be another runecrafting - a new skill that comes with the new engine (based on both being aimed at summer and the totaly fail that would be coding a brand new skill for the old engine at this stage) then the 2nd skill following later in the year.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

An API system for plugins would be awesome, especially if it offered simple, automated ways to sync data between users.

Obviously applications right there to upgrade the DGS team functions - no faff automatic via rs output.

Plus would offer potential for many other things like pyramid plunder doors applet, fish flingers bait applet etc. where data can be shared to users on same world.

Could even have uses for fansites/external apps if it could provide data like GE offer status, GE prices, port status, live xp etc.

EG you log in tot tip.it calcs via a Jagex-made login api then they can retrieve your account data directly.

I'm getting all antsy just reading that! Lol. Stop getting me excited! :D. Having to write an online DGSweeper, Meredith was nice enough to get the idea of HTML5 stuck in the back of my mind... So I've been looking into it and teaching myself. Fun stuff!

I heard they're planning on allowing group-chat via microphones, similar to "private party" in XBL, not sure how it would work though through their game.

Was this recently that you heard it? Because there have been rumours about this kind of things for years now. The only way I see it working would be limiting it to friends/clan chats. Public voice chat would be an absolute mess.

It was in a poll a few years back (y'know, when TS2 was the shit). Since then, I figured Jagex had forgotten about it.

09144a99bb.png