Rares in 2007scape- A necessity?

One of the major things 2007scape is missing might now is rares, a lot of people have mixed opinions on them, but cannot think beyond being mad they do not have them.

Firstly its not authentic to not have them, a simple but important point.

Secondly rares play a vital part in being a place for richer players to hold cash. Put yourself in the shoes of someone who has say got 300m from staking/pking/dking/skilling, you already have the best gear available (not even any gwd kit available so that is a whip/dfs and barrows) and don't want to put it all into skilling. A big worry is constant inflation, your GP is becoming worth less and less, previously the obvious answer was to buy a rare, as it increases/decreases in value to roughly follow the market, so you are protected for massive inflation. The only real option to do this is to put it into something like whips/TT items/supplies, for example putting your bank into lobsters/sharks might be a pretty safe investment. The next problem is that now 300m worth of lobbies have been bought up and not resold, this obviously increases the demand and brings up prices, forcing people with less money to pay even more for basic supplies.

A major complaint about rares is it creating a wealth gap, it is going to be far far worse without rares, with peoples billions going into common items.

Introducing rares is another major problem. My biggest fear is Jagex does a mass drop rares everywhere and everyone gets 10 of every rare. This would be a completely pointless exercise rares need to be rare as well as discounted, look at fish masks, they are junk.

A good idea I have seen is adding them in a temporary clue scroll rewards, perhaps a week where level 1 clues give edibles, level 2 give santas/masks, and level 3s give crackers.

I cannot think of a single good point for not having rares in runescape, if you think they are stupid, don't buy them, but watch as your GP devalues and you won't be able to buy them later.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I cannot think of a single good point for not having rares in runescape

You overlook possibly the biggest argument here: RWT. If you seriously did not think of that reason, then I thoroughly question your sanity. It's astonishing that you overlooked/ignored/did not think of this.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

I don't follow your logic on rares being necessary to sustain the economy... Rich players will just use something else to use as token cash like spirit shards. (Only thing that currently comes to mind, i know it's not in 07.)

If they are to be introduced i think they should be introduced as an extremely rare random event, with a limit of say 50 each rare, after these have been obtained in the first few months no more would be handed out. Limit to 1 per player, too.

This way the players out earning more xp would get more chance of rares while those not playing as much would not have as much a chance, seems fair.

Make the random completely unique and somewhat complex, so that bots miss their opportunity to get the rare! :D :D :D

"Rare = RWT" I also don't understand your logic... Why is the rare necessary for RWT to happen?

CNqWHdA.jpg

"Rare = RWT" I also don't understand your logic... Why is the rare necessary for RWT to happen?

I'm not necessitating that all rares result in RWT, I'm saying that by introducing rares, RWT becomes a lot easier and wide spread.

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

I'm not necessitating that all rares result in RWT, I'm saying that by introducing rares, RWT becomes a lot easier and wide spread.

Still not following. Whats wrong with GP?

CNqWHdA.jpg

RWT and some possible inflation right after they are released are the only problems I see with rares.

I think adding them would be better for the economy though, because, like 999134 said, it's best for there to be a rare to buy if you have lots of money, rather than a bunch of food or raw materials.

canifis.png

To answer the title: No, they are not a necessity.

Could they be useful? Yes.

Do we have to have them? No.

I'm a bit indifferent either way; I don't need them but I don't care if we do get them, or if we don't.

• Like 1

Sugar_Nana.png

why?...

No reason rwt would be effected by rares. Maybe slightly from people rwting to buy said rares, but that would just apply the same to people buying gp for any other reason.

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

We still have 3rd age items though. They are rare, and could get approx. the same position as rares had n 07.

Though they are not dis-continued, and thus probably will sink slightly in price (compared to the rest of the economy) the position as a "cash sink" or cash goal would keep it high.

If i remember correctly, the kiteshield is the best shield in the game - and without rares, that shield will be hard to obtain, but in rs07, defence isn't important for top-end pking and pvm (perhaps for staking with armour?) so they would only work as cash goals / status items anyway.

Actually 3rd age kite had significantly worse stats than the fully charged DFS (stats were in the mid 60's while DFS is mid 70's)

And sheesh guys can you please give some sort of explanation for why you think rares are necessary. I don't know for sure that they're not but "Radical statement. imo." isn't really very convincing.

Wouldn't it be better to remove the max stack limit (that java is no longer limited by), or use some other kind of currency replacement such as spirit shards?

CNqWHdA.jpg

Wouldn't it be better to remove the max stack limit (that java is no longer limited by), or use some other kind of currency replacement such as spirit shards?

Needles?

I don't see any problem with removing the stack limit, if that's possible.

canifis.png

Aside from the fact not all of us could afford a set or ONE like 999th (who magically was able to produce billions from staking).

People want it, because they missed out way-back-when. They don't care about it's monetary value, they just want to wear it. That's the biggest argument with them at the moment in 07'scape. If people are afraid of "hyper inflation" in 07scape at the moment, you're clearly on something. The market started out from NOTHING 1-2 months ago. It's impossible for it to generate the vast amount of GP to cause an inflation like EOC's does. (mostly due to insane GP transfer from flowerclowns)

Obviously they're not necessary to have in 07scape, but some players want that feel to own something that's had a long history in this game. As for stack limit, Java Engine back then, could only calculate a singular object up to 2.16 billion. hence the "max" limit.

Popoto.~<3

increasing the cash limit or putting them into shards does nothing at all for the inflation problem of people trying to invest to keep their wealth.

If I want to stay at the same relative wealth, rares are the best option, cash is a gamble (and a poor one) on GP increasing in value (not going to happen, with no new updates and alching bringing in loads of cash).

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

different people have different goals, one version of fun in runescape is being as rich as possible, so I am going to do my best to keep my bank value up by investing in stuff that wont crash, and if rares are not there, all that cash will buy out useful items.

It doesn't matter per say, any more than any rs goal does.

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

well, I don't see jagex ever *SELLING* them because of the rich getting richer idea pointed out beforhand

(also I'd like to point out you to the other guy that crackers = phats so you could just buy a cracker for the 50m then open for a 100m hat :-\ )

but the problem with just doing a drop is people will hoard them, and that's not what jagex wanted the holiday items to be...

I remember the phat drop, people were giving them to each other for fun or selling for really cheap (1k-5k usually was enough to get one) it wasn't til waaaaaay later that they went up in price... keep in mind this was when r2h's were the best wep and cost 100k (and 100k was like masssssive if anyone remembers.

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

everyone has access to some fun items like the chicken hat etc just released.

Why *should* whips be restricted to people who can afford them? There has to be some expensive stuff, would you rather it was whips or barrows items, than useless cosmetics?

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

All i'm saying is this:

1.it was the players (and supply and demand i know) that made tradable rares worth anything,

2.selling them from a shop just makes them avalible to the rich few who can afford them, not what jagex had in mind for *holiday items* (read, what turned into rares)

*edit* dont misunderstand me, I know what you mean by wanting a goal or an investment for your money, it's just hard to introduce an item with the expressed intention of them becoming discontinued.

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

Discontinued Rares wouldn't really work this time around.

When they ORIGINALLY dropped, no one stopped to think about them, they were in general stores, left on the ground, people had hundreds for no reason.

Part of what made them Rare was that they were assumed to be worthless in the first place, therefore not kept.

Time clearly has disproved this, and they became the most valuable items in the game.

If they were added NOW, everyone would know they were going to be valuable, and they'd try to hoard them, everyone would go get them because they believe it'll be worth a lot.

.....Except this time they wouldn't be because everyone kept them under this assumption.

To give you a literal answer to your Thread Title.

NO, they are not a necessity, not in any way, whatsoever.

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt