Rares in 2007scape- A necessity?

Vinyl you missed my point about how to make them rare, like I said, we don't need another load of fish masks, make only a small number available in game, so forcing them to be rare, you could do this for example by making them a temp rare reward from clue scrolls.

Ring world, the thing is no one cares what the average rich do,buying 10 whips does nothing, however buying 1000 whips is when prices start getting [bleep]ed.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I wouldn't say that they are necessary, but I've thought about both sides and both sides have interesting potential outcomes.

I've decided that I'm okay with either outcome, however, the biggest issues is getting them into the game fairly and so far dropping them with clue scrolls seems the best way. Jagex need to decide on a set number, and drop them with all level clue scrolls until they run out. Level 2s have twice the chance of level 1s, and level 3s have 3 times the chance of level 1.

So a good part of me would like to see them in the game, I see their value, ultimately I don't mind but I would vote YES over NO.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I'd rather rares (tradeable holiday items) be implemented as untradeables that can be obtained in a manner similar to court summonses/spin tickets. Also disable the chance of obtaining a duplicate so that you can eventually round out your collection. This would allow rares to fulfil their original purpose, as a fun little item for you to play with.

If you're having problems of not being able to store enough wealth, they could add other forms of storage akin to spirit shards - for instance, add an option to buy promissory notes from bankers in any bank, at the cost of 100k per note, and allow them to be traded back at any time for the same 100k.

If you need a way to store your wealth that isn't linked to GP (i.e. you need a discontinued item), implement the promissory note as a buyable item from a wandering NPC (preferably named Fulandis Mony) to make them slightly more difficult to obtain, if need be. To make them discontinued, give the NPC a heart attack after a set amount have been purchased globally (100? 1000? 10k?). This would nicely create a new discontinued item that isn't too common, by directly limiting the amount in-game. If you want to make distribution of it more fair, perhaps remove the cost but allow each player who finds him to only claim one of the item, after which he teleports to wander in a different location?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Rares should be implemented in their 2007 purpose rather than their 'original' purpose, like I said before, if you want fun items there is stuff like the chicken suit to use.

Also if everyone has a rare, they are going to be pointless and unused, as they are only worn as status symbols in the first place, how many people do you still see wearing jester hats for example.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

You just can't get enough money can you...

Also you can't really compare these to high priced items like whips. Whips have a consistent supply which is matched when the demand goes up. When more people want whips, more people go out to get whips.

However, the demand for rares will eventually exceed the supply, and we can't just go out and farm more Phats. This scenario is not the same as the high priced whip or barrows items you are trying to compare them to.

OT: If they are implemented, I like the clue scroll idea. Almost anyone can do clue scrolls; the rares won't necessarily go straight to the richest.

• Like 1

Sugar_Nana.png

However, the demand for rares will eventually exceed the supply, and we can't just go out and farm more Phats. This scenario is not the same as the high priced whip or barrows items you are trying to compare them to.

That's the idea - he wants items that he can park his money on and then watch them appreciate in value.

Rares should be implemented in their 2007 purpose rather than their 'original' purpose, like I said before, if you want fun items there is stuff like the chicken suit to use.

Also if everyone has a rare, they are going to be pointless and unused, as they are only worn as status symbols in the first place, how many people do you still see wearing jester hats for example.

Implement a new status symbol and let people play with the ex-rares for the hell of it. Not everything has to be about power and status, or its acquisition.

EDIT: Also evaluate the rest of my post, thanks.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Huh. You know what we could do... We could artificially manipulate the prices for items in a good way. Whips, for example, once there are more whips in the game than players that can use them and they start crashing hard... Rich players start hoarding whips. Millions of whips. The whip will remain a powerful expensive item, abby demons will remain a good money maker, uber rich get something to hoard.

If we decided as a community we were going to do this I don't see any problem with it, you couldn't even exploit it for your favour either, you could personally sell your whips cheaper than the agreed value, but that would just lose you money and before long people would sell the whips they got cheap back to the hoarders, making a small profit from the 1 time stunt but not changing anything long term.

Edit: Screw whips, treasure trial items would be better. Clues are never worth doing as is, i think they should at least be somewhat better than whatever your typical money making method is as they're a rare drop diversion that takes some brain power and variation. (And bots can't do them!)

CNqWHdA.jpg

To everyone saying "the rich get richer" if I remember correctly we all started out on tutorial island (or skipped it) and got 25gp as a kick start. How you used your time and the 25gp to get started was up to you. Don't hate on people who were first comers or efficient in getting to a set goal to make the most money (whether it be barrows, staking, double nats, Abby demons, etc.) or even those who merched.

The rich get richer excuse can work in EoC because its 12 years in the making and some people have had far more time to accumulate wealth. In 07scape we all started the same day (or within a few days) and have the same guides/resources available to us. If you want to make money staking, read an old staking guide on different builds (verac staker, boxer, Mage, etc) and make money at it but don't put 999th down for being rich.

As for the rares, I agree they should be implemented (and I like the clue scroll idea) as a way to have an item that will rise in value and as a store for money to counter inflation and the devaluation of money. Them as a status symbol is another bonus.

Peace,

Vann

There has to be some expensive stuff, would you rather it was whips or barrows items, than useless cosmetics?

I would rather it was whips or barrows items.

Plus, whips (and barrows items for the matter) are in an entirely different category than holiday 'rares.'

Furthermore, just because I suggest that fun cosmetics should be available to everyone (for a very small price nonetheless) does not mean we also have to make end-game combat gear available to everyone in the same fashion.

Vinyl you missed my point about how to make them rare, like I said, we don't need another load of fish masks, make only a small number available in game, so forcing them to be rare, you could do this for example by making them a temp rare reward from clue scrolls.

Ring world, the thing is no one cares what the average rich do,buying 10 whips does nothing, however buying 1000 whips is when prices start getting [bleep]ed.

Trying to MAKE them rare wouldn't help as much as you would think.

Make them a Rare TT item, and guess what EVERYONE is going to be doing for awhile.....

People will try to hoard them this time around, which will inevitably lower it's value because people will get the set for themselves, save it thinking it'll be worth a lot, then come to find that everyone else had the same idea, and already has them, so don't need to buy them.

The only way you can FORCE them to be rare, is have a physical limited supply, like...1,000 total thrown into clues, and once they're gotten, they're gone.

Which I personally don't agree with doing either.

• Like 1

An old player from 2004-2011. I'm back for the 2007 servers, let's see how long this lasts.

My account's display name used to be Sir Izenhime

signature_zpse31b54ec.png

vinyl_djpon3.png

Stupid Should Hurt

How you used your time and the 25gp to get started was up to you. Don't hate on people who were first comers or efficient in getting to a set goal to make the most money (whether it be barrows, staking, double nats, Abby demons, etc.) or even those who merched.

Or that section of the market who waited and then started trading EoC for 07

• Like 1

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Trying to MAKE them rare wouldn't help as much as you would think.

Make them a Rare TT item, and guess what EVERYONE is going to be doing for awhile.....

People will try to hoard them this time around, which will inevitably lower it's value because people will get the set for themselves, save it thinking it'll be worth a lot, then come to find that everyone else had the same idea, and already has them, so don't need to buy them.

The only way you can FORCE them to be rare, is have a physical limited supply, like...1,000 total thrown into clues, and once they're gotten, they're gone.

Which I personally don't agree with doing either.

If most people hoard them thinking that they will go up in value then they WILL go up in value. More people hoarding means less people selling, and there definitely will be people who will want to buy and hoard them for themselves.

I don't think it will be different this time, maybe in the initial stages, but ultimately they will follow the trend in the main game.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I'm going to ask this again: why does it matter if your GP loses value if you already have all the items you want and you refuse to spend it on skills?

You legitimately think people aren't allowed desire wealth past a certain point? What the hell is wrong with you. Some people like to collect big cash stacks to impress people, part of the appeal of rares is to wear them around to show them off. Ok - so your goals are all skill related, good for you. Doesn't mean everyone has to share that play style.

• Like 1

P0lPXdo.png

I'm going to ask this again: why does it matter if your GP loses value if you already have all the items you want and you refuse to spend it on skills?

You legitimately think people aren't allowed desire wealth past a certain point? What the hell is wrong with you. Some people like to collect big cash stacks to impress people, part of the appeal of rares is to wear them around to show them off. Ok - so your goals are all skill related, good for you. Doesn't mean everyone has to share that play style.

That's a lot of assumptions wow! Never had so many words put in my mouth in a single post lol

77yLQy8.png

That is exactly what you were saying - he shouldn't care since he can afford the high end items already. Do you no longer back up your opinion now that you've been called out on it?

???

P0lPXdo.png

That is exactly what you were saying - he shouldn't care since he can afford the high end items already. Do you no longer back up your opinion now that you've been called out on it?

???

What exactly have you called me out on? You just quoted my question, put words in my mouth, then shot down the words you put in my mouth.

77yLQy8.png

???

What exactly have you called me out on? You just quoted my question, put words in my mouth, then shot down the words you put in my mouth.

You haven't argued back at all. You just say I'm making it all up. I completely disagree, but an argument can't go anywhere without you actually saying anything.

Please, reiterate your exact point(s).

The alternative is that you simply were unable to understand why your question implied those things and why it was so horribly wrong. In that case, it has been explained and I apologize for bringing it up again.

P0lPXdo.png

So do you understand why your question was wrong then?

How exactly can a question be "wrong?"

You never commented on it again after

That's because he answered my question. While I don't necessarily agree with his "beliefs," I understand where he's coming from and to get into a lengthy discussion as to why I don't share the same opinion would be beyond the scope of this thread.

However, if you wish to discuss that further and you can promise to clean up your attitude, then feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to talk about it with you.

• Like 2

77yLQy8.png

I don't think that rares are a 'necessity' for 07scape as a complete game - Many people don't care about the aquisition of ultra-wealth, and will play and have fun regardless.

However they may be a necessity for people like this threads op, whos goal appears to be the aquisition of ultra-wealth, to enjoy 07scape - So what's the problem with having them? How would their existence negatively impact the players who don't care for them?

I'd rather everyone have an aspect of 07 that they really enjoy, and keep the playerbase as large as possible - Than deny people the things that really makes them tick, without seriously valid reasons...

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"