09-Apr-2013 - Castle Wars: Revamped

Miss Lioness

Castle Wars: Revamped

Castle Wars: Revamped (members)

The ever-popular Castle Wars minigame gets a rock-solid new look today, and - thanks to your feedback - loads of tweaks and improvements to the Castle Wars arena and gameplay. Siege warfare's never been so fun, and it's certainly never looked this good!

Ap1-28175427.jpg

Our graphics team have outdone themselves: each keep impressively imposing, with thematic trappings in each, and the tunnels beneath the arena are darkly atmospheric and moodily lit. Importantly, we've stayed faithful to the core style you know so well, so whether you're manning the ramparts or sneaking as a sapper, you'll feel right at home.

Your feedback on Castle Wars has led us to implement a number of gameplay improvements, too:

Dual Currency System: Castle Wars tickets have been replaced with two currencies: silver and gold. Silver tickets buy you handy consumables such as ballista parts, potions, and chinchompas. You'll get one of these no matter how you do in the game, so you'll never finish a Castle Wars game empty handed. Those who win or draw, however, will receive gold tickets, which can be spent on the excellent armour sets used within the minigame.

Improved Castle Wars Armour: Speaking of armour, we've greatly improved the Castle Wars armour sets that can be purchased with the gold tickets - profound armour, for example, is now on par with Nex gear. They're also now a 'hybrid' style of armour - great if you like to mix it up with magic, melee and ranged.

Usability Improvements: As well as an update to the interfaces showing the status of your castle, and the game score, there are a range of much-requested usability improvements too:

• Altars in each spawn room, so there's an easy way to replenish your prayer points.
  • Helms can now be taken into the arena.
  • Wait times have been reduced and the number of people required to start a game is now 2 per team.
  • Damaged or unbuilt ballistas no longer count as obstacles.
  • Team colours have been added to barricades.
  • Catapult and ballista damage has been adjusted.
  • Ice spells now have a staggered bind time, the binding shot ability has had its bind time reduced and, while in the arena, the smash ability now has a 60% chance to hit.
  • Explosive potions can now be added to the Action Bar.
  • The tinderbox can now be picked up by multiple players.
  • Waiting rooms now heal you in the same way as standing in a bank does.
  • The Castle Wars manual has been updated.
  • Bandages now give more health.

Finally, the trimmed completionist cape requirement has been changed, so it is now fulfilled by speaking to Lanthus in a full set of profound armour. The cape is meant to encourage you to take part in Castle Wars and be competitive so the requirement will be easier to attain for those playing Castle Wars in the spirit it's intended.

Castle Wars is easier to get into, better-looking and a whole lot more fun than it's ever been. Whether you're a seasoned veteran or a green recruit, it's time: prepare for war!

Mod Asherz

In Other News

• A selection of rare items on the Squeal of Fortune - including the swagger stick and flying goblin hat - are becoming easier to win for this week!

[spoiler=FAQ]Why did you change the trimmed cape requirement?

We’ve changed the trimmed cape requirement to for two reasons:

• In your feedback, we saw a lot of concern about coasting or AFK players in Castle Wars, so we wanted to rectify that by encouraging players to participate in order to win.
  • The general consensus from feedback was that 5000 games was an awful lot. Today's changes mean that those who participate fully and perform well in Castle Wars will obtain the profound armour most quickly, so the new requirement shifts the focus from time played to involvement and skill.

Castle Wars has always been a competitive game and that’s how we want it to remain. Players should feel encouraged to participate fully, and we hope this change will achieve that.

Why have you changed the reward structure?

• To give losing players something for their time. No-one wins every time, and it’s never nice spending 20 minutes playing a game, only to lose and receive no compensation.
  • We want to encourage the use of consumable items. Previously, as players were saving tickets to spend on the more sought-after items, consumables were rarely used. There are a lot of cool consumable items that players can use within Castle Wars and we want to encourage their use.
  • It gives us more flexibility when adding future rewards.

What will happen to my Castle Wars tickets?

You’ll be glad to know that we've converting all existing Castle Wars tickets into goldtickets with this update.

I’m X amount of games towards the old 5000 Castle Wars trimmed cape requirement, what will happen to my progress?

All Castle Wars players will be given gold tickets relative to their progress through the trimmed cape requirement. This has been calculated by totaling all currently owned Castle Wars tickets and the equivalent cost of all purchased rewards, then subtracting that from the total amount of Castle Wars games played. This calculation has been made on the assumption a player has been receiving one Castle Wars ticket per Castle Wars game played.

What will happen to my currently owned Castle Wars rewards?

You’ll keep all currently owned rewards. We're not removing them, or altering how those rewards are awarded in any way.

Won't this just lead to team stacking like in Soul Wars?

Castle Wars has an inbuilt anti-stacking mechanism for combat levels. However, we do recognise that Castle Wars is a tactical, skill-based minigame, and it will be the skilled players who will dictate the outcome of the game. This is harder to track, as it varies regardless of combat level or games played.

We could add more restrictive mechanisms to counter this, but we would rather give you the freedom to play with whomever you wish, when you want to do so. We will be monitoring the issue, but our priority is to give you this freedom.

Also, as we've said, it's skilled players who dictate the outcome of a Castle Wars game. Play on the weaker side and show those stackers how Castle Wars is reallyplayed!

[spoiler=Patch Notes]

Graphical:

• A graphical issue with the Zamorak cloak has been fixed.
  • A stretching issue with Battle-mage robe legs has been fixed.
  • King Vargas's beard no longer stretches during the Blood Runs Deep quest.
  • A graphical issue with Roachey's hat has been fixed.
  • A graphical issue with the Examiner has been fixed.
  • The boat near Burgh de Rott is no longer floating over the water.
  • The vyrewatch teleport cosmetic override no longer plays at the same time as other teleport animations in Dungeoneering.
  • The karate-chop fletching cosmetic override now plays correctly when cutting bloodwood Logs.
  • Armadyl vambraces have had their inventory icon colour changed to match the worn version.
  • A missing texture around the rocks at the air obelisk plateau has been added.
  • The swords and shields used in Gaius's two handed shop have been updated.
  • A graphical issue with Skuli Myrka has been fixed.
  • An issue with bloom within the pyramid south of the Bandit camp has been fixed.
  • The explosive woodcutting, lumberjack and roundhouse kick cosmetic overrides have been added for cutting Evil tree and Evil roots.
  • Stripes on the mime top no longer flicker.
  • A stretching issue with a barbarian NPC in the Blue Moon Inn has been fixed.
  • Blocking NPCs no longer stall the player as they try to walk around them.

Quests, Challenges & Achievements:

• A spelling error in The Temple at Senntisten quest has been fixed.

Skills & Minigames:

• The black knight guardian no longer tells lies about healing himself when he ceases to do so in the Dominion Tower.
  • Chronozon can now be attacked with regular runes rather than just elemental and catalytic runes.
  • An issue with Ariane not being able to cast offensive spells in the Three's Company Fremennik Saga has been fixed.
  • An issue with the action bar in Fremennik Sagas bypassing Prayer checks has been fixed.

Other:

• Players can now complete the Combat Academy again.
  • An issue with Assault that allowed extra damage to be applied to the enemy has been fixed.
  • The scrimshaw of cruelty will no longer poison a player indefinitely.
  • Gravite weaponry once again degrades correctly on free worlds.
  • Bound runic orbs are now wieldable in Dungeoneering.
  • An issue with the rewards screen for the Occultist and Missionary's XP mission in the Pincers Region of Player-Owned Ports has been fixed.
  • The amount of XP rewarded when crafting orbs in Dungeoneering has been corrected.
  • Spells in the Ability Book are now updated when selecting keys on the Tool belt.
  • A bug that caused Brugsen's chathead to be replaced with your follower has been fixed.
  • A minor spelling error in Kuradal's chat has been fixed.
  • The level 2 jail guard at Draynor Village has been brought up to the same level as the other guards.

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Great update! Lanthus said I still have to get the sword that noob lol

Pinata.png
Capes in order: Firemaking - Cooking - Construction - 99 Dungeoneering
- 120 Dungeoneering - Quest - Strength - Prayer - Herblore - Constitution
- Attack - Defence - Ranged - Runecrafting - Magic - Fletching - Mining

- Farming - Smithing - Slayer - Woodcutting - Summoning - Thieving - Hunter

- Fishing - Agility - Crafting - Divination - Max - Completionist

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0100 0101

Assuming they haven't altered ticket prices or tickets for a win their 'making it easier' of the cwars req for comp seems rather short-sighted.

Great profound is *only* like 2000 odd games with all win.

But it's still like 4000 for all draws.

And infinite if you keep losing.

Aka its probably gonna be a lot more than 5000 games now for many people.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Oh wow this is lame, poison is once again completely ruined. Shame I used the cruelty scrimshaw a lot in PvP situations... Lame...

See you guys in w99 cw in a few mins! :)

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I don't think this will combat loafers. People will stack games or boost privately, but not play the game. There's simply too much required here.

Don't forget that full profound still requires 2000+ games, which is ~800 hours. The second largest trim-only requirement, which admittedly is actually more pointless, is rank 1 esteem at ~120 hours. Things like champions, Shattered Heart and chimp ices weigh in at relatively little both in difficulty and in time, yet they are far more the mark of a true completionist than mindlessly grinding a minigame. Minigames are meant to be played for fun.

I think everyone agrees that full profound is much easier to get than 5000 games, and therefore a more reasonable requirement, but it's not something that makes the trimmed cape actually 'playable content' as far as I know. The idea of a nice trim doesn't encourage playing past completionist if you know a huge block of barricades is waiting for you :(.

As usual, Jagex does a half-job of fixing their balance, making at once a big improvement and an insufficient improvement. Which of course leaves you to wonder how much they were off the mark in the first place.

• Like 6

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Looking forward to the update. I was at Castle Wars earlier (pre-update) and it was sort of dead, I hope it has a revival.

As expected, Jagex has not decided to change the trimmed cape requirement to something reasonable. Apparently they have some sort of proclivity for torturing addicted players with misplaced priorities. Not that it affects me (I have opted to never aim for a trimmed cape -- it never interested me), but still annoying that they are bending over backwards to enforce some draconian requirement onto people and making sure they "earn" the cape or "abide" by the requirement. If you have to go to such obsessive lengths, it should tell you that there's something wrong with the requirement. Castle Wars should be fun to play, and you should want to play it; any requirement for the trimmed cape displaying your devotion to particular minigames should come passively because the minigame was fun to play and you got the requirement as a by-product of that fun, not because Jagex incentivized you to farm it like some brain-dread zombie.

Runescape: where you pay money to work a job.

• Like 3

The armour requirement is still a measure of games won rather than contributions within those games. A better way of combating loafers would have been something similar to the zeal requirement in Pest Control, or to make it so players who deal more damage/score more points receive more tokens.

• Like 2

The armour requirement is still a measure of games won rather than contributions within those games. A better way of combating loafers would have been something similar to the zeal requirement in Pest Control, or to make it so players who deal more damage/score more points receive more tokens.

What about level 3 4 defenders?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Looking forward to the update. I was at Castle Wars earlier (pre-update) and it was sort of dead, I hope it has a revival.

As expected, Jagex has not decided to change the trimmed cape requirement to something reasonable. Apparently they have some sort of proclivity for torturing addicted players with misplaced priorities. Not that it affects me (I have opted to never aim for a trimmed cape -- it never interested me), but still annoying that they are bending over backwards to enforce some draconian requirement onto people and making sure they "earn" the cape or "abide" by the requirement. If you have to go to such obsessive lengths, it should tell you that there's something wrong with the requirement. Castle Wars should be fun to play, and you should want to play it; any requirement for the trimmed cape displaying your devotion to particular minigames should come passively because the minigame was fun to play and you got the requirement as a by-product of that fun, not because Jagex incentivized you to farm it like some brain-dread zombie.

Runescape: where you pay money to work a job.

Agreed

At most it should take 40-50 hours, which is on par with other reqs like livid and chompies. A challenge but not insane.

Even with this your looking at like 800 hours (if 100% win) to earn the armour.

Also agree with above points that there should either be some sort of activity req or (preferably) a link between tickets and work.

Eg win = 2 gold ticket and 1* multiplier

draw = 1 gold ticket and 0.5* multilier

lose = 0 gold and 0.2* multiplier

Then have say 1 ticket earned per 1000 damage up to a max of say 10 and other such reqs.

End of game those tickets are ran through multiplier so you get all of them for a win, half for a lose and a fifth for losing.

Would incentivise doing a lot in the game to get the tickets faster.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I agree with those above...This is still too much. They should have made the comp cape(t) easier to get, you will still need like 3k-4k games to get that requirement done. This will just make people keep hanging around and doing nothing, just to get the requirement done. Certainly it is good with new graphics and better gameplay. Jagex however didn't fix the main problem that CW had with this. Which is both sad and strange after all the feedback they have got about this. I really am quite disappointed. Of course I didn't expect them to make the comp cape(t) require 1 game of castle wars, but 3-4k of them is still just too much. 1000 wins would be more than enough to show motivation and to complete that requirement in my opinion.

Well, well, I am going to head down to CW now. See you all there. Can you guess which team I will join ;) ?

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

What about level 3 4 defenders?

I don't have much sympathy, frankly. Your point seems to fall into a very pure definition of RPG which is "I should be allowed to do whatever I want, whenever I want to".

If you're level 4 (post-EoC) and you're playing a combat PvP minigame... what do you expect? How exactly can you be contributing more to the team than, say, a level 200 player wearing PoP armours and turmoil? Assuming both aren't loafing and all other common sense variables, of course.

I really can't understand it- when the trim req was released i was alone in a corner saying it was totally unreasonable and wouldn't be good for the game. Now, years on, seemingly everyone has come to the same conclusion. Except for jagex, i guess.

• Like 1

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

The one thing I've never liked about CWars the fact that you only get points for being on the winning team at the end, no matter what else you manage to accomplish during the game.

I'm also unable to get into the game, but that's pretty minor compared to the rest of this.

• Like 1

Guess I won't be trimming. Whatever, never planned on it before, still don't plan on it, considering there are still other tasks I really don't want to do.

I really can't understand it- when the trim req was released i was alone in a corner saying it was totally unreasonable and wouldn't be good for the game. Now, years on, seemingly everyone has come to the same conclusion. Except for jagex, i guess.

You and nearly everyone else was in that corner.

Someone on the update thread suggested adding a 10k pieces of eight requirement to the trimmed cape. Support.

If you're level 4 (post-EoC) and you're playing a combat PvP minigame... what do you expect? How exactly can you be contributing more to the team than, say, a level 200 player wearing PoP armours and turmoil? Assuming both aren't loafing and all other common sense variables, of course.

I can see you've never seen what an effective cader or sapper can do to a whole column of maxed (non-cading) players :P.

• Like 2

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I am a Maxed Player, having done all acheivement diaries and Quests; thus quite the no-lifer, and even the 40-50 hour standard set by Livid Farm/Temple Trekking irks me. Far too much time for one small aspect of a game like RS. I can't really justify making people spend that much time in this day and age, on a very small part of the game. Feels like Runescape has too many small and isolated things that take up a lot of time.

Guess I won't be trimming. Whatever, never planned on it before, still don't plan on it, considering there are still other tasks I really don't want to do.

Trust me, there were very few people against the requirement at the time. Most couldn't anticipate the lengths people would go to to get it done.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Someone on the update thread suggested adding a 10k pieces of eight requirement to the trimmed cape.

Might as well add in a requirement where you pledge every waking hour to Runescape before you can wield a trimmed completionist cape. Because that's what gamers should be doing in this day and age.

@xpx: I think very few people were concerned (not necessarily in favour, just not caring) with it at the time because it didn't seem like they were going to get close to maxing/comping/trimming anyway. Now, a lot more people are looking at trim and only Castle Wars is holding them back (and runespan ffs, another update that shouldn't have been).

Trust me, there were very few people against the requirement at the time. Most couldn't anticipate the lengths people would go to to get it done.

Oh no they anticipated it, just no one thought they would do it because it seemed absolutely pointless or some far off and unobtainable achievement. But let's not turn this into "no I'm right", because either way, the requirement was and still is absolutely ludicrous.

Yoko Kurama put it well, this achievement isn't for normal people. Perhaps not even crazy people would go for this. It's is strictly for the obsessed who play Runescape like it is a job.

I am a Maxed Player, having done all acheivement diaries and Quests; thus quite the no-lifer, and even the 40-50 hour standard set by Livid Farm/Temple Trekking irks me. Far too much time for one small aspect of a game like RS. I can't really justify making people spend that much time in this day and age, on a very small part of the game. Feels like Runescape has too many small and isolated things that take up a lot of time.

That's because it's assumed that you've gained all of this through the years and aren't an efficiency addict whom wants to do it all at once. I don't see a problem with the requirements being up that high.

Not to say that I think it's still ridiculous.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)