09-Apr-2013 - Castle Wars: Revamped

Miss Lioness

Something for game designers to always keep in mind is that the players will do what they're incentivized to do. That doesn't mean they'll do what is fun. Players do like having fun, and they will push toward fun, but if the game incentivizes them to do something that isn't fun, they will do that, and they will hate the game for it. If the game says "In order to win, you have to do this," they'll go, "Okay, that's what the game is saying," and they'll follow the lead of the game--but then what happens is they don't have fun.

--Mark Rosewater

Agreed completely. This is precisely what I have been saying for ages on TIF, and this [is] precisely why I don't take the "Well, it's the choice of the players, no one forced them to do it" crowd seriously. As every psychologist and sociologist worth a dime understands and have understood for ages, humans are tremendously impacted by their environment. If you have a gaming environment that incentivizes players to do obviously stupid things, then players will do obviously stupid things despite how obviously stupid they are.

• Like 2

Something for game designers to always keep in mind is that the players will do what they're incentivized to do. That doesn't mean they'll do what is fun. Players do like having fun, and they will push toward fun, but if the game incentivizes them to do something that isn't fun, they will do that, and they will hate the game for it. If the game says "In order to win, you have to do this," they'll go, "Okay, that's what the game is saying," and they'll follow the lead of the game--but then what happens is they don't have fun.

--Mark Rosewater

Agreed completely. This is precisely what I have been saying for ages on TIF, and this precisely why I don't take the "Well, it's the choice of the players, no one forced them to do it" crowd seriously. As every psychologist and sociologist worth a dime understands and have understood for ages, humans are tremendously impacted by their environment. If you have a gaming environment that incentivizes players to do obviously stupid things, then players will do obviously stupid things despite how obviously stupid they are.

I agree no end - I enjoy playing Runescape no end but there are numerous mind numbing ridculous things I subject myself to in the name of wanting that accolade on trimmed comp cape. Just the same as I'll gladly play a console game for hundreds of hours (skyrim) or for several play throughs to go for 100%.

And I don't even stop at comp cape, I want to fill my costume room too (with exclusions seeing as scythe and bunny ears are unobtainable) I have a list of all the treasure chest items I yet need for it & now exactly what the cabinets are missing (infinite and cwars armour) and know what capes are lacking (the 5 cwars ones + the 99s I lack)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue