Set fish free

Powerfrog

Just had the idea of setting fish free. By which i mean releasing raw fish back into the ocean/river. It would act as a "drop all" kind of thing but would go slowly 1 by 1. Best of all it actually makes sense in an IRL way as many fishers do exactly this...

If we're against the "drop all" thing then simply make it so you manually click 1 at a time, but maybe give some xp for doing it so people would actually do it instead of simply dropping.

Thoughts?

CNqWHdA.jpg

Utterly pointless.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

As pointless as adding free XP to every minor action (later in April), or as pointless as allowing you to split Arctic pine logs for extra XP? :rolleyes:

Sounds just up Jagex's alley, more free XP for everyone! How would you verify that the fish you're releasing are still alive, though?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

As pointless as adding free XP to every minor action (later in April), or as pointless as allowing you to split Arctic pine logs for extra XP? :rolleyes:

Sounds just up Jagex's alley, more free XP for everyone! How would you verify that the fish you're releasing are still alive, though?

The difference being many of the minor actions Jagex are adding xp too are things done in the course of normal training anyway, they aren't wedging in an extra action that doesn't really serve any purpose other than a glorified and probably slower drop.

Eg Making unfs - Even if you buy them in to add seconds *someone* made them but most folks (til you hit the extremes) will be making unfs to make pots.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

or as pointless as allowing you to split Arctic pine logs for extra XP?

It may be pointless post quest but it does serve a purpose initially: Split logs are required to repair the bridges.

It'd be pretty lame if no skill-related quest tasks offered any xp just because they aren't all that useful after the quest.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It wouldnt be pointless, if it was just a little slower than dropping I'd still use it xp or not...

Afkable training methods > efficient training methods, for myself at least and I bet I'm not the only one...

Coughbanditscough

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

I only suggested it because it's "realistic". Many fishers release their catches and it makes a lot more sense than just dropping the freshly caught fish on the ground.

I don't really care about the game mechanics for thos, but it would act as a good opportunity to add "release all" or "xp for destroying item" options if either are desired. And it's game mechanics that sell an idea.

CNqWHdA.jpg

Afkable training methods > efficient training methods

But placing the raw fish on action bar + spamming that button takes like 2 seconds.

And then you can proceed to continue fishing AFK for better exp instead of spending all that time releasing the fish AFK in much longer.

But placing the raw fish on action bar + spamming that button takes like 2 seconds.

And then you can proceed to continue fishing AFK for better exp instead of spending all that time releasing the fish AFK in much longer.

Lol i haven't touched EOC but hey I guess you pretty much already have your drop all option.

Releasing the fish would be viable for old school where people would be violently against the idea of "spam keyboard to drop all"

...But I guess they're also violently against the idea of any change at all. Hmmph.

• Like 1

CNqWHdA.jpg

Auto-release for fishing please. No dropping, just fishing without catching anything.

• Like 2

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Can we do slayer monsters too. And I wanna set Nex free and get torva ok.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

• 1 month later...

i can understand where hes coming from...

it seems cool to me, if it does get implemented into live game there definately should be a exp bonus. and maybe even a penalty for dropping live fish :D

each time you drop a live fish it minuses 1 to your pray points. (or 15 points for eoc), imo it would be pretty cool.

a_c_i_v_i_i.png

i can understand where hes coming from...

it seems cool to me, if it does get implemented into live game there definately should be a exp bonus. and maybe even a penalty for dropping live fish :D

each time you drop a live fish it minuses 1 to your pray points. (or 15 points for eoc), imo it would be pretty cool.

I use a lot of prayer points when I'm fishing

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Auto-release for fishing please. No dropping, just fishing without catching anything.

Fly fishing was a powertraining method for a long time since RS1/Classic, I think until Barbarian Rod fishing came along.

It could be an alternate fly fishing method, but... have you ever cast a fly reel in real life? Simulating fly fishing a bit more, with timing the casts and releasing the fish each catch would not just be realistic, it'd also probably be the only practical way to keep it a viable powertraining method without encouraging bots. I doubt very much that could be done as AFK-able training, but probably something that would require steady input.

Simply put: I like this idea, and Jagex has done plenty of ideas that Tip.It members scoffed hard at initially: a bank in the Cooking Guild, Sawmill training, craftable Mage robes, and others I'm probably forgetting.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

This is an awful idea.

It doesn't matter if it's "more realistic". Gielnor is a fantasy world, therefore it should remain like that.

This would make it far too easy for people who don't care about the fish themselves and only do this as an exp.

Can you imagine how quickly most people would be at level 99 if they had that option?

Protean items already devalued a lot of skills by making leveling up too easy. But at least you can only get it once a day at most, and considering they just come once every 15 key or so, you won't get it easily unless you paid a bunch of real live money which most aren't able to afford. Being able to do this over eight hours a day would really make it too easy and in return make it boring.

You're right, we should swallow them whole and raw dressed in outrageous shark outfits instead :P. Other than that though, the action bar pretty much made this obsolete anyway.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

What difference does it make if someone wants to set their fish free rather than drop them on the floor ? People have been dropping fish since classic times.

Because that requires a couple of clicks. (or dragging, still takes about the same amount of time.)

If we had that option you'd only have to right click and then left click.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can see how that would fit into the game... no other skill has such a time gap (to and from bank) as fishing.

Support.

Woodcutting and mining???

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.