Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[UPDATED] Grand Exchange Transaction App (Would you use?)

RS Market RuneScape Economics

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Would You Use It? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Would You Use This App?

1. Yes, I have a Mac (OS X). (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. No, but I would there was an iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad) version. (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

3. No, but I would if there was a Windows version (I don't have Mac/OSX or iOS/iPhone/iPod/iPad). (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

4. No, but I would if there was an Android version. (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

5. Other (I will post my answer). (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

6. I would not use such an app. (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

SAA
[ Display Name History ]

SAA

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

No, as in no i don't want to use anything other than the grand exchange inside the game.

I agree with this. If such a thing became available it should be an in-game feature to use by everyone or not at all.

Why?

Unfortunately, Jagex would probably never add such features as it would be promoting flipping in their eyes. Once one gets the hang of it, flipping is a very powerful, and slightly easy method to make money. This app is only intended to make things even easier.

It would be about the same as if Jagex added an in-game tool to track gambling profits (but of course, flipping is no where near as controversial as those gambling games).

Yes please. Great concept!

I appreciate your feedback :)

Things are going great and I just got another major feature working (which, unfortunately, introduced new bugs that I now have to fix).
Have an Android phone? Check out my Runescape apps:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=SAA

Follow my app development Twitter here.

Ambler
[ Display Name History ]

Ambler

Black Knight Trainer

• Monster Hunting Team
  • 3,453 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Ambler3
  • RSN2:Joe Tiko
  • Clan:EoE.... Sometimes.

Yes, I have a Mac (OS X). (1 votes [8.33%])

Foreveralone.jpg :sad:

Posted Image
^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^
My livestream- Currently: Offline :(
Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

Lewtations

SAA
[ Display Name History ]

SAA

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

Yes, I have a Mac (OS X). (1 votes [8.33%])

Foreveralone.jpg :sad:

My best bet is to develop an iOS (iPod/iPhone/iPad) version.

However, to do so would be to a) apply as a Registered Apple Developer and b) involve some rewriting and complete redesign of the program. That being said, I would be more than happy to develop an iOS version should the Mac version receive a certain amount of support.

I have currently just updated to Alpha 1.0 and all core features are working. I'm trying to get in contact with Tip.It administrators to discuss my options.

vmser
[ Display Name History ]

vmser

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,852 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:vmser
So basically you're coding something which will let you look into what everyone is flipping so you know what to flip yourself? :D
Posted Image

SAA
[ Display Name History ]

SAA

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

So basically you're coding something which will let you look into what everyone is flipping so you know what to flip yourself? :D

The only internet access my app requires is when it a) searches for an item on the Grand Exchange, b) extracts the item ID, and c) extracts the image for that item. It never sends anything back to the internet.

Should it be a problem, I will definitely allow the possibility of no internet access (eliminating requirements for A, B, and C above). The Mac OS X is very safe, and if one truly wanted to be secure, they could bar all internet access to/from my app using the built in Firewall.

Besides, I already know what to flip anyhow :P

Regards,
SAA

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
You could potentially include the images with your software. It's 8.30 MB, but it would require a 1 time installation (and you'd have to update it when new items are added). It wouldn't require loading a long HTML file each time you search for an image, though.

SAA
[ Display Name History ]

SAA

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

You could potentially include the images with your software. It's 8.30 MB, but it would require a 1 time installation (and you'd have to update it when new items are added). It wouldn't require loading a long HTML file each time you search for an image, though.

Possibly, but then I might get into legal issues with Jagex (as I would be redistributing their property).

Hedgehog
[ Display Name History ]

Hedgehog

???

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 7,789 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
Considering that they made every single image available just so the fansites etc could use them, I don't think that would be a problem :P

SAA
[ Display Name History ]

SAA

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

Considering that they made every single image available just so the fansites etc could use them, I don't think that would be a problem :P

Interesting. I will definitely look into it and consider it (but I also need to browse the HTML data for item IDs).

It's not a top priority at the moment though. I'm more focused on gearing up for release (and deciding/figuring out how to release it in the first place).

Guest_Smelly Paws_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Smelly Paws_
  • Guests

Why?

Unfortunately, Jagex would probably never add such features as it would be promoting flipping in their eyes. Once one gets the hang of it, flipping is a very powerful, and slightly easy method to make money. This app is only intended to make things even easier.

It would be about the same as if Jagex added an in-game tool to track gambling profits (but of course, flipping is no where near as controversial as those gambling games).

I think you answered the question with your own response.

I'm here to play a fantasy game, not stockmarkets. Making money is a bi-product of my game, not the focus of it. Be honest with yourself- you probably came to RS to play the game for the same reasons I do now but now you've shifted focus. if it ever gets to that stage for me I'll quit and play something else.

SAA
[ Display Name History ]

SAA

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

Why?

I think you answered the question with your own response.

I'm here to play a fantasy game, not stockmarkets. Making money is a bi-product of my game, not the focus of it. Be honest with yourself- you probably came to RS to play the game for the same reasons I do now but now you've shifted focus. if it ever gets to that stage for me I'll quit and play something else.

You're right. But you also have to consider two possibilities:

A) Having money in this game can get you quite far, quite fast. Many skills can be made less tedious and less the amount of time to accomplish a goal. In fact, almost every skill, if not every skill, requires some amount of money/wealth in some way. Those that have more of it are at an advantage.

B) You also have to consider the fact that I honestly believe there are people, like me, who genuinely enjoy flipping (or as you call it, a stock market experience).

Now, of course, if you prefer not to flip, that's absolutely fine. One does not have to flip and it's merely an option. By all means, continue to play the game in a way that you most enjoy (with the exception that you don't violate any rules and make another player's experience worse). :)

SAA

Guest_Smelly Paws_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Smelly Paws_
  • Guests
On the most part we are very much agreed :) . I would disagree on one thing - A lack of money/wealth does not put a player at a disavantage. That could be looked on as an opportunity. Not everyone treats skilling as a sprint. For me its a brisk walk - I'll get there when I get there.

Good luck with what you're doing though and thanks for the honesty :thumbsup:

SirLuke
[ Display Name History ]

SirLuke

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • RSN '07:viis viimast

Does it actually buy and sell the items for you? If so; isn't that considered botting?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RS Market, RuneScape, Economics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users