24-Apr-2013 - Charm Sprites: Catch Them If You Can!

Ambler

Charm Sprites (members only)

Charm Sprites - if you've not encountered them before - are woodland creatures that can be captured by level 72 Hunters, in the Hunter area just south-west of the Tree Gnome Stronghold. Not only are they a good source of Hunter XP, but they also yield charm slices when caught, which can be made into summoning charms. Full details - along with the tools that you'll need - can be obtained by speaking to Yaktwee Swinmari Cianta, south-west of the Tree Gnome Stronghold's front gate.

To give this fun activity the attention it deserves, we've made a number of improvements to make it more appealing.

It now only takes five charm slices to make a charm, rather than the original ten. The Hunter XP gained is increased too: it's now competitive with other Hunter training methods at that level, and earns you plenty of Summoning charms at the same time.

We've also introduced mystical charm slices, which - if you're lucky - can drop in addition to the coloured charm slices you get as standard. These can be used in place of any coloured charm slice, so they're handy if you need a certain type to complete a charm.

To make hunting charm sprites generally friendlier, we've also made some usability tweaks: all the trees in the area are gone, so the shaking bushes containing the sprites are much easier to see; you can now store your Yaktwee stick, spirit lure and charm slices with Yaktwee himself; and your lures are more clearly visible.

Finally, catch 1,000 charm sprites and speak to Yaktwee and you can upgrade your Yaktwee stick to confer Hunter-related benefits while wielded:

• +5% Hunter XP gain in any Hunter training activity (as long it allows you to wield the stick). This stacks with other such effects.
  • An increased chance to uncover the rarer sprites while hunting charm sprites.

Whether you've yet to discover charm sprites or want to revisit it to enjoy the added benefits, head on over to the Tree Gnome Stronghold. The hunt is on!

Mod Timbo

How to start hunting charm sprites:

Speak to Yaktwee Swinmari Cianta. To find him, head south out of the Tree Gnome Stronghold's front gate, and then west.

Requirements:

• You must be a RuneScape member.
  • 72 Hunter
  • A Yaktwee stick and spirit lure. These can be purchased from Yaktwee himself, for 2000 gold coins each.

Behind the Scenes Video

Take a look at our latest Behind the Scenes video here:

In Other News

• A large number of preparatory skilling tasks - including filling glass vials, sowing seeds, picking flax and grinding Herblore ingredients - now yield a small amount of XP per action.
  • If you've completed the Combat Academy, you can now toggle the interface stone it occupies to a quick shortcut to the Quest Journal interface.
  • From Friday, you'll be able to obtain starlight ore both in-game and on the Squeal of Fortune, which can be smithed into starfire weapons. Watch out for more details!

[hide=Patch Notes]

Graphical:

Empowered catalytic staves will now display correctly when equipped.

The splatter animation for the eggsterminator when it is sheathed has been fixed.

The stripy pirate shirt will no longer cause players to appear without arms if they are wearing the item from the dragon keepsake box

Clan vexillums are no longer overridden by weapon cosmetic overrides.

A stretching issue with the dragon ceremonial armour has been fixed.

An animation issue with the firebrand bow cosmetic override has been corrected.

Clipping with max cape on male characters has been reduced.

A stretching issue with Auguste when you crash into the sea during An Enlightened Journey has been fixed.

The icons for void helms have been updated in the POH armour case.

An issue that caused the shoulder pads of the god robes to detach when stringing bows has been fixed.

Particles can now be seen for the ring of fire emote on low detail.

Some green polygons that are visible when using the orb of oculus at the Duel Arena have been removed.

The fire cape now works correctly with the Halloween 2011 tshirt.

Quests, Challenges & Achievements:

In the TzHaar tunnels, killing enemies using only the Vengeance spell will no longer halt your progression.

The Brink of Extinction communication orb no longer malfunctions if the TokKul of three champions is recovered before using it.

Other:

An issue with reclaiming your completionist cape whilst having one set as a cosmetic override has been fixed.

Recolouring the lunar equipment no longer changes the Defence level requirement.

You can no longer use dreadnips on Har-Aken, preventing a bug that caused it's head to get stuck in the platform.

Some interfaces have been prevented from closing when removing equipped auras.

Shops now distinguish between staves that are off-, main- or two-handed.

The boogie bow is now correctly named when placed on the action bar.

The name of the bound version of the celestial catalytic orb has been corrected.

Armadyl's book of law now matches the Ranged critical attack of it's Zarosian and Bandos counterparts.

An unreachable fishing spot in the lake north of Castle Wars has been made reachable again.

Players are no longer able to perform Melee attacks from a distance using an Armadyl battlestaff.

[/hide]

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

so sowing seeds? did they reduce xp if everything is 1xp ea....

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Put the title in the standard format, sorry for the meddling. :P

Looks interesting! There's always been something... infuriating about dead content, so it's nice to see there's some real attempts to fix it, even though this has been a long time coming.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

If you've completed the Combat Academy, you can now toggle the interface stone it occupies to a quick shortcut to the Quest Journal interface.

100x yes

• Like 1

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Put the title in the standard format, sorry for the meddling. :P

Looks interesting! There's always been something... infuriating about dead content, so it's nice to see there's some real attempts to fix it, even though this has been a long time coming.

I predict that it'll be dead again in a week if it's deemed inefficient :P

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

If you've completed the Combat Academy, you can now toggle the interface stone it occupies to a quick shortcut to the Quest Journal interface.

This would come as I am finishing up 14 quest for my cape. Oh well, tis useful for me. And we still keep the quick tele to a bank deposit box.

starfire.png

Yes please

It better be as awesome as this or I will be oh so disappointed.

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

Did about 5 minutes to get a rhythm going, and then a 5 minute experience test. 8,270xp, or 99,240 extrapolated to an hour. In total charm wise I ended up with 15 crimsons, 9 blues, 7 green, 4 gold. So not exactly great for charms either

Also, my arm hurts. To keep a good constant rate going you're moving all over the screen and clicking non-stop (Throw>detonate>throw>catch>detonate>throw>catch>etc.).

Compared to jadinkos? Way more work for less than half the experience.

Possibly on the bright side, they won't completely suck as a daily task anymore.

Riqualyn.png

Comp req is ridiculous. Thanks for another set of dead content Jagex :)

So now bots can get xp for picking flax?

Lwat

1xp per flax pick. Inb4200mcraftbots

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

It's nice that they removed the trees, ever since the graphical update reached that area it's been a pain to click on the sprites and not cut trees.

Does the yaktwee stick get a graphical change when it gets updated? I want to show off my catches but can't access a computer to check.

Also, for efficiency freaks: at what level does it become a waste to get the catches for the 5% xp boost?

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

Well, any sprites you've previously caught will not count towards the 1000 count required for the enhanced stick.

Still not as bad as the initial Castle Wars fiasco though.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

So have they fixed the momentum bug in the combat academy yet? I'd really like to get rid of that interface stone...

ki7Gvlk.png

To hell with humanity;

The more I see, the less I believe.

Does anyone else have a glitched charm sprites daily challenge by the way?-I've had one sitting in my list for several months now. As soon as the timer gets to 1 day it goes back to 5 again. And I still get 7 challenges a week like normal.

Does anyone else have a glitched charm sprites daily challenge by the way?-I've had one sitting in my list for several months now. As soon as the timer gets to 1 day it goes back to 5 again. And I still get 7 challenges a week like normal.

jagex just really really wants you to do the challenge :P

Sacrificing efficiency for fun since 1991

angel2w.gif

Dreezer.png

If you dont have 5 challenges in the log they will not dissappear. If you want to get rid of it make it go to the bottom. So when you have 5 challenges listed it will ge replaced the following day.

Well, any sprites you've previously caught will not count towards the 1000 count required for the enhanced stick.

Still not as bad as the initial Castle Wars fiasco though.

That's a shame, though it shouldn't take long to get then back. Do we at least keep our charm slices?

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.