Observations from a "Noob"

muggiwhplar

While I think it would be better if people could make their own armour at lower levels like this, I do wonder how you would then balance the experience rates? If you leave them as is, then a person with level 50 smithing would be able to get the same xp rates as someone with smithing in the 90's currently can. Leaving aside the ability of higher levels to acquire the resources in larger numbers. If you lower the experience received from making armour then until you add the things such as enhancements etc, you're making it very slow for higher levels to train smithing.

XP could be cut in half or so to balance it at low levels.

I think an expansion of the artisans workshop would make the skill easier on high levels. Maybe add another activity too.

If mining gets a similar realignment, more rune rocks would have to be added and their respawn times would need to be decreased.

I agree on some points here, actually, most of them. Certainly RuneScape have become harder for most low level players. At least for those who are new to the game. But isn't that also something that can be positive? The game is supposed to be a challenge. And I think that if you only get everything served at first you will get bored very quickly. Certainly there could be improvements made though. To create more easily accessible low level gear and items shops would be a good such thing for example.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

You know what is scaring new players on? The cutscenes on Buthorpe... it's a lagfest and boring and you can't skip it, so yeah, bring back the simplicity, that's what runescape was about

13Ra3.png

Veteran Cape Owner (10 year)

You know what is scaring new players on? The cutscenes on Buthorpe... it's a lagfest and boring and you can't skip it, so yeah, bring back the simplicity, that's what runescape was about

I'd disagree entirely

1) Lag is subjective.

2) Why on earth would cutscenes 'scare' anyone?

3) It's only boring if you are a vet and knows how to play so it's same old same old

4) It IS skippable.

5) The whole point of the new tutorial was that half the noobs got scared off because nothing was explained; sure back in our day the tutorial was much shorter; but guess what? There was much less to be told back then, we learnt about rc and herblore and construction and summoning and new interfaces in dribs and drabs as the updates came along. It's a very different ballpark to just be presented with the entire mass and go off you go, do stuff!

7) If anything a lot of recent updates HAVE simplified things - unified skilling interfaces, straight forward tutorials available for all the skills, hints and markers to help you find places and things to do, everything you could possibly need to do any skill in the low levels all in one area. Quest remakes that take about the needless walking from a-b for the sake of getting an item and instead focussing on story and action.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Anyone ever get the sense that we're a bunch of (near-)maxed 8-12-year veterans discussing what an entirely different demographic might like?

Zoomed in polygonal faces with triangular nostrils? :razz:

1) Lag is subjective.

No matter what system you're running or however good your connection is, even if you let your cache load to 100% first, you're going to still get a stuttery experience when watching that opening cutscene, with the audio/graphics not being synchronised, which does give a poor starting impression of a game.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I agree on some points here, actually, most of them. Certainly RuneScape have become harder for most low level players. At least for those who are new to the game. But isn't that also something that can be positive? The game is supposed to be a challenge. And I think that if you only get everything served at first you will get bored very quickly. Certainly there could be improvements made though. To create more easily accessible low level gear and items shops would be a good such thing for example.

Yes it should be challenging. But it should also be simple. Ideally the game would be like any classic arcade game: simple to learn, difficult to master. These days it's no longer simple to learn but it's pretty easy to master.

• Like 1

77yLQy8.png

I'd really love to see some data on how many new players enter the game, and what percentage of those players stay for longer than a month, 3 months, a year, etc... As far as I can tell, this game would be overwhelming as all hell just getting into it. There's so much stuff to do, and really no "order" to do it in. It's not like "OH hey kill these guys, move on to the next area, kill these guys, do some quests", nope, it's like "Oh here's a world map you've never seen in your life, now go figure it out".

The sense of adventure must be nice though, having to figure where the hell anything is, I guess we take it for granted that we know Gielnor like the back of our hands. Most efficient way to get from A---->B? Yeah done.

I do like the incentives for new players via a small 10% XP boost up to level 30 thanks to the referral program, makes levelling to better levels just a bit easier. And psychologically speaking, the game MUST be easier at lower levels to get all those awesome easy level ups to have em coming back for more.

As for combat/armour, tough shit. At least for p2p, most members are generally higher skill/combat leveled. I don't think this is as much of a legitimate complaint though, getting materials to make your own steel crossbow or whatever encourages you to think, interact with players, and makes you feel like you're helping your character out.

45,657th to 99 Range 29/09/09 , 41,018th to 99 Mage 13/11/09

rangecapecombined.gif__________________magiccapecombined.gif

Just because simplicity is what the game was in the past doesn't mean it has to remain that way forever.

After reading BTS I couldn't help to think about this topic.

Seems like we're getting a sociable way for new players to level up prayer to lv 40 or so :P

• Like 1
_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

I have to agree with this. What drew me into Runescape 9 years ago was the open ended nature of the game. At the time I had never seen anything like it before. I had no clue what I was doing, and that's what made it fun. When I created a DIY last summer, the tutorial was the exact opposite of that. If I were a new player, all I would've seen is a game with outdated graphics, outdated mechanics, and outdated controls trying to imitate the cool, flashy, modern MMOs.

It's worth noting that nowadays open-ended games almost outnumber games that aren't.

Some how I doubt the validity of this claim seeing as the biggest gaming markets are still console games and like 90% of them have a finite end, sure they have extra content to the main-game and loose strands for sequels but the game itself is closed ended. Even in mobile gaming where open ended is more norm (smurfs village, tapped out etc. etc. etc.) I'd say theres a good 60:40 or 50:50 split between the open and close ended games

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Runescape originally had the lure of do whatever you want and it still is and yes their is a big world to explore but the grinding probably hurts it alot. I was thinking 99 pssh easy 80 pssh easy but then Playing 07scape a bit I remembered how long it takes to level. You can know how to play all you want but rs is still hours and hours of grinding. Yea stats on new players would be interesting but it would also be interesting to know how many of those new players are bots..ect. There are probably actual new players coming to the game but based on peak players the number of players quitting vs coming in is definitely on an upward trend.

Actual new players may have a stigma about the game or they could try it. It will always have outdated graphics ect.

On the other hand eoc is probably more familiar to a veteran of free mmos and less offputting then "i click monster! watch character hit 0-1's" "I leveled and can now hit 2's! oh yaH"

Exploring the world is part of the fun for any game. Runescapes world is vast but there are still the locations you'll spend all your time in eventually.

As for people staying 1 month 3 months 1 year. eh Runescape players put way more hours into it than almost any other game. :P Look at the website wasted on steam- yea steam timers aren't as accurate as Runescapes timers but while a bunch of top players have 15000 + hours on scape only 1 or 2 have that on the most popular game elsewhere. (also it only has 10400 people tracked that site but still)

World of Warcraft can maybe compete but not really not as many players have played that for 8 years. On the other hand Rs is sorta afk so you cant really compare all the hours to other games but yea. The time commitment would turn people off but you cant really change that without changing more of the core of RS.

RS appeals to people that like progression and leveling - a lot of people I met in RS aren't really the typical gamer and RS is more of a habit/part of life vs splitting the hours into tons of different games.

Someone already got 200m all skills so if your goal was skiller highscore chaser as a noob that will be completely impossible for you.

StarViv.png